[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OOTS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
Order of the Stick
Climb every mountian
>>
>>44181358
It says a lot how Burlew's writing is so predictable that even the character with a negative wisdom modifier can roast it with alarming accuracy.
>>
>>44181358
So meta. It burns.
>>
>>44181358
I would say "finally" but it's about 5 strips too late
>>
>>44181454
Yeah it's almost like he's intentionally making fun of himself.
>>
>>44181614
>
The problem isn't even the amount of update. Once a week is fine for a well-written full-page RPG comic. It's not like XKCD cancer where all Munroe has to do is sketch a few stickmen while he's taking a shit. That's fine. But it's the whole "9000 word dialogue while FUCKING FIGHTING WITH SWORDS."

>I would bet my ass Rich Burlew has never been in a fight in his goddamn life. There isn't enough fucking breath for talking. It's just shoved in there because he wants "le comical showdown" that ends up being flat and unfunny 99% of the time.

I was with you up until this. Put the katana down senpai.
>>
>>44181614
Say it together with me everyone.

Talking is a Free Action
>>
>>44181614
10WPM is that you?

I'm surprised you've managed to finish reading the last few strips in time to see this thread. Is that a new personal best?
>>
>>44181612
Making fun of yourself for being predictable doesn't help too much if it's not funny and you're accurate.
>>
>>44181614

I'm still reading it because I still love it.

Some time around the "Nail disguised as Elan" arc is when I think the lampshading was worst. You're right, it does take away from the immersion, but I think a lower level of self-reference is totally appropriate (as in, it would be all wrong with no lampshading), because of the weird world-of-a-D&D-game-with-out-of-character-overtones-but-no-actual-out-of-character genre that he's created. Which I like. I wouldn't be reading it still 10 years later as one of the only 3 webcomics I follow (OoTS, Oglaf, Penny Arcade) if I didn't still get a ton of enjoyment out of it. Honestly I feel bad that I"ve never thrown him any money, I'll probably buy Start of Evil or Origins of PCs as a christmas gift for someone, a couple dudes in my gaming group still follow it too.

I don't even care any more that its slow, that used to be the main thing that burned my butt, because it was so good that I didn't want to wait for it. Obviously that's not the kind of thing that makes me stop reading it, the worst that happens is I don't follow it for a few months and then have a nice backlog of comics that I can consume in one sitting.
>>
>>44181814

Have you ever watched a cartoon where the hero says a bunch of words before he hits the villain? And then the villain gets up and wipes his lip and says a bunch of words before he blasts the hero? And then somehow the hero has time to say some stuff before he dodges the blast and then say more stuff after he dodges the blast?

Almost like the whole fight is taking place at the speed of plot and isn't supposed to be realistic?

I don't think that's what Rich is going for. I think it started out as based on D&D, and the way that a combat round seems like a large chunk of time and there's often an unrealistic amount of dialogue and decision-making going back and forth between one turn and the next. The campy cartoon thing is just what I picture when I'm reading it.

I think it's very silly that you actually re-asserted the unrealism of combat banter. I think the other people posting in this thread hate it because they don't like wordswordswords as much as I do, no one actually cares if it's realistic or not.
>>
File: 1364341537437.jpg (73 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
1364341537437.jpg
73 KB, 450x675
>>44181814
Whether or not LARPing with foam swords gives you any insights into close quarters combat it doesn't :^) you are fixating on a component of realism in a stick-figure webcomic about a world that follows an arbitrary set of rules designed for the narrative benefit of a group of people sitting around a table in a parallel universe in which it's all just a game with figures and dice.
>>
>>44182014
Confirmed for never watching shounen anime.
>>
>>44182014
>No, it doesn't, but it DOES give me an insight into the effort that that kind of intense physical activity takes, and how retarded it is to be spouting monologues while doing so.

Consider that professional warriors who have spent their entire waking lives training, fighting, walking or running everywhere, and the myriad of other physically demanding tasks that a low-tech world necessitates for survival, might not be out of breath as quickly as LARPers are?

Also there is no reason that during a 1 vs 1 fight between two parties who know each other and presumably have a lot to say, they wouldn't pause between their next attacks to listen or respond to the combatant.

Cutting your opponent off mid-sentence might lead them to believe they have a point. The smarter way to psych them out would be to calmly refute them before the next exchange.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 1024x1010) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 1024x1010
>>44181358
How do you guys feel about him having the feather fall item with no previous mention of it? Deus-Ex or no?

It feels somewhat deus-exy to me.
>>
>>44182478

Not even a little bit, I assume everyone has a lot of shit in their inventory and only an item here or there becomes reader knowledge.

If he hadn't had the feather fall he would just be coming back up the mountain with more cross-hatches.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-T8vuh-yKA

>>44181454
1) Belkar is positive Wis
2) Of course it's predictable when we have 8 months between strips to predict what's coming
>>
>>44182478

I think it's fine. Belkar was hunting for ways to fight Durkula. Any counters to ways that Durkula have already threatened to kill him with seem pretty reasonable to me, especially common level 1 spells.

The last real asspull in the comic was when the airship just sort of popped in and rescued them, in my opinion.
>>
>>44182478
They're really high level. A feather fall ring is both chump-change and recommended gear.

Granted, that only makes Roy's failure to have ranged weapon (or even thrown ones) that much more glaring and idiotic. You'd think someone with good mental stats would have thought of that by now.
>>
>>44182478
>hey, I'm the guy who made this post I'm replying to

Duh! Of course there was previous mention of it! Belkar was trying to keep Durkula from sending him overboard. I can't believe I forgot about that. I'm dog sitting for someone so my attention is divided.
>>
File: 1450148859703.png (478 KB, 935x1194) Image search: [Google]
1450148859703.png
478 KB, 935x1194
It Thog's first time, be gentle
>>
>>44182995
>Reeeee
I always laugh at these
>>
File: 1015.png (454 KB, 935x1194) Image search: [Google]
1015.png
454 KB, 935x1194
>>44181358
thog fix comic! thog think this might just be thog's masterpiece.
>>
>>44182591
You sure? He can't even use a cure wounds scroll without Owl's Wisdom.
>>
>>44182995
>>44183116

Eh, I liked the Thog ones from the thread 6 hours ago better.
>>
>>44181358
Oh great, another filler fight.
>>
>>44182140
You've just made me realize how much I want to, someday, run a encounter where there is simultaneously a combat duel and a social duel happening at once. That would be awesome.
>>
File: 1402786453608.jpg (222 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
1402786453608.jpg
222 KB, 1024x724
>>44184953

Helo mai naem is legends of de wulin how r u

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zcnyie7tmpkqmv6/Legends+Of+The+Wulin.pdf
>>
Great, just what we need. Another fucking filler arc.
>>
>>44184953
Preferably between the princess dressed a knight and the PC prince dressed as a princess.
>>
File: dnd mom devil.jpg (94 KB, 536x413) Image search: [Google]
dnd mom devil.jpg
94 KB, 536x413
>>44181953
>fighter with his baatezu cohort
>>
>>44181454
He's lampshading convention, which is something he's always done.

Really, we should have seen a strip like this coming, because it shits on a useful convention, *and* adds more padding to the novel.
>>
>>44182657

Roy is a team player and thus doesn't do thing that would encroach upon other Order of the Schtick members, like Haley's ranged attacks.
>>
FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC
MORE FILLER TRASH
I suppose next we'll be getting ten strips dedicated to Mini-Giant Vampire guy vs Belkar(over the course of a few months of course) before cutting off to, gee say, the Paladin guys at dwarven land attending some festival or celebration for muh Worldbuilding.
>>
>people seriously believed that Belkar died
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.