[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever seen a friendship end at the tabletop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145 KB, 900x1200
Have you ever seen a friendship end at the tabletop?
>>
DMing Pathfinder.
Party stopped a cult from summoning BBEG demon. Roll for loot. Party barbarian thinks that he deserves the loot. All of it. Claims that he solo'd the whole adventure. Barbarian player gets up from table, threatens to beats up the other players.
I end the session there and stop telling barbarian player about our future meetings. Change time and meeting place to avoid him.
>>
No, but I've decided at the tabletop that I didn't want to be friends with someone I'd recently met.
>>
>>44171988
Shouldn't have better talked to him, outside of a session, instead of avoiding him?
Also did he solo's the adventure?
>>
>>44171988
I'd call the police on someone if they started harassing me like that. Shit like that should stop after middle school.
>>
Only over MTG and 40K. Never pathfinder.
>>
>>44171746
oh shit, he's discovered what happens to your players happens to you
>>
>>44170643
I would never consider a relationship that was malformed/one-sided/imbalanced enough to end over a game a "friendship"
>>
>>44170643
There was one disastrous campaign that always went from bad to worse and caused half of the group to drop off. Our gaming group of nearly two years never played a campaign after it.
I left when the DM let one character start the apocalypse without passing it by anyone else first or informing anyone that was one of the benefits of the angelic template.
And my personal rant:
Philip, your campaigns never had any focus. I was literally better at keeping the team on track than you were, and you were the DM. Also, your random items destroy everything they touch.
And the falling potions cart wasn't funny, nor the 'suddenly dragon' habit you had.
I'm willing to let you be a player in my games, but I will never play in any of yours again.
>>
I've played with a quantity of fucknuggets over the years who I later lost contact with, but I don't know if they were actually "friends", more like gaming acquaintances.

The worst I can say is from my second-to last campaign, but didn't directly involve me.
We were some players short and drew in a couple of friends. He is quite the nerd but didn't have a lot of RPG experience, and his GF seemed willing to go along with us, plus they regularly hosted the game. It went relatively well for the length of the module (Hoard of the Dragon Queen btw), but in the last few games there was a bit of rising tension and passive-aggressive comments (we later discovered that the girl in question was not feeling like gaming anymore but of course she couldn't just fucking tell us).
The last session we ended with the big climactic battle with a dragon, then friendly fire occurred. Both the sorcerer (see below) and the berserker had been willingly and knowingly handling evil artifacts, and that was affecting their behavior. The sorcerer's killing blow on the dragon was an area spell that hurt the barbarian too, and the barbarian, in frenzy, charged the spellcaster and full attacked her to death.
I wrapped up the game there and, while it was both perfectly in character for both of them, and they choose to act that way, I couldn't help but feel that the thing had slided into OOC territory. The rest of the table was silent and while the sorc player tried to take things lightly you could just *feel* that something had cracked in the party. In fact the couple, who used to go out regularly with the rest of us, now is seen only rarely.

>inb4 gaming with girls
That is not the problem; the sorcerer player is a girl too, she and her boyfriend have been in my games for more than 10 years and they are great roleplayers. What happened here is IMO people too used to other kinds of games who didn't really grasp the social nature of ttrpgs.
>>
>>44172338
The players and I talked about to handle the situation and thought it was best just to avoid this guy.
He didn't solo the adventure. He derailed non-combat encounters, and stayed in the back of combat. He was the only character not to be at 0 HP at one point or another.
>>
Not a friendship, but an acquaintanceship, yes.
I knew a dude for something like five years, and he always have those annoying stuck-up / stubborn / antagonistic / uncooperative / arguing over every meaningless thing tendencies but it didn't really came up all that much or hard in everyday life. During the game though, oh boy, let's just say i was fed up with his shit on multiple occasions. And he wasn't really compensating for his bad side with anything above passable level in other aspects as a player.
There was no dramatic falling out or something, one day i just realized that i'm done and won't invite him again.
No longer saw him since then, nor will i willingly engage with him in the foreseeable future.
>>
File: This.jpg (23 KB, 385x196) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
23 KB, 385x196
>>44172298
>>
A ruling dispute between the GM and a player, with the PC's life on the line, led to the player just flat out leaving the Skype chat after his character died and never coming back.
>>
>>44170643
Yup, my former roommate and I lost our friendship. We each committed the other's unforgivable act. I was a character-optimizer, and he cheated. So we stopped hanging out after a few sessions.
>>
>>44172414
>minor altercation over fictional universe
>call the police
They have more important things to do then deal with your fantasy game dramas.
>>
>>44171988
He's just roleplaying.
>>
I've seen a marriage end at the tabletop.
>>
>>44174663
Please story time
>>
>>44174871
It's kind of boring actually, her husband was fucking one of the players. It wasn't the first time either apparently.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 1000x1200
>>44175066
That reminds of some similar in-character behavior. This chick who was fuck-buddies with the DM IRL decided she didn't like a particular PC because he told her, IC, to behave herself and quit acting like the Chaotic Derp that she was. So she got extremely passive aggressive with him IC and did stuff like describe how she would flash her tits to all the other male PCs whenever they flirted with her, how she would often give small and big sloppy kisses to all the other male PCs standing right in front of the PC she didn't like, and whenever they struck camp or were at an inn or something she would describe in detail how she would fuck one of the other male PCs - always making sure the player of the male PC she didn't like was in the room before she got into the juicier descriptions. Eventually the IC friction bled into OOC.
>>
>>44172438
>mtg

Let me guess, EDH?

Why are turbocasuals the saltiest of the bunch?
>>
>>44171746
And that's why one shouldn't roleplay their character.
>>
>>44172414
Yes it should, but calling the cops over that is dumb as fuck. You are just as childish as the barb.

>>44175325
The fuck? Why do people keep playing with players like this? It doesn't sound fun.
>>
>>44176030
the thirst is real for some
>>
>>44175325
did no one at the table find this awkward and uncomfortable?
>>
>>44176111
>>44176030

Like I said: she was fucking the DM and being flirtatious (OOC) and a complete slut (IC) to all the other players except the guy she didn't like, his wife, and me (because I'm a chick). So all the other guys got a kick out of her antics, I guess.
>>
>>44176246
Gross.
>>
>>44170643
One ended before even we started the first session properly. Was DMing and my older brother had taken my rule books with him to a cottage trip. Two players said the would loan one for me to DM from until i get mine back. One brought a DnD 2e and the other DnD 4e. They got into a fight, beat each other over the heads with the rule books and i decided to disband this before it went any further. They stopped talking to each other after that.

Best/worst part of this? Both of them forgot we were going to play Shadowrun.
>>
>>44171746
NO, NOT BLACKLEAF!
>>
File: 1445100671940.jpg (239 KB, 1044x770) Image search: [Google]
1445100671940.jpg
239 KB, 1044x770
>>44176246
>So all the other guys got a kick out of her antics, I guess.
>>
>>44176423
I remember the glorious forum wars that happened on 4th's release.
>>
>>44176246
Wait, three of the players didn't like it, but "all the others" did? How many players did your group have? Fuck, with three disgruntles players that's enough to start splitting off; one more person to play or DM for good measure and you've got a table.
>>
>>44170643
I'm not sure I've ever seen a friendship begin at the tabletop.
>>
ITT: More reasons to never play with women.
>>
>>44176888
Eight players, total, plus the DM. Again: There was me, slutbag, slutbag's target + wife, and four more players (the rest of them guys).

You're right, though. The game did eventually split up. At first we were willing to hold it together despite the player count because the DM seemed to be able to handle it. But once slutbag's antics started up (along with some other derpy behavior), we started to decide it wasn't worth it to show up anymore.
>>
>>44176967
Oof, that's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. Never join a table if there are already five players. 6+ players is just too much slog, even with a capable DM.
>>
>>44176947
More like

ITT: Reasons not to play with obnoxious retards
>>
File: Semen Demon.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1069) Image search: [Google]
Semen Demon.jpg
144 KB, 1920x1069
>>44177249

same thing.
>>
>>44172581
Fuck you, Carl.
>>
>>44176947
aaaand there goes the thread.
>>
>>44177249
That's not a very nice thing to say about girls; there are a few good ones out there.
>>
girls suck they never let me have sex with them and they are mean and they don't listen to me when I tell them about how Horus was actually right and "heretic" is a meaningless term that serves only to mark non-conforming individuals as targets for the Emperor's lapdogs. also they are sluts.
>>
File: western women.png (272 KB, 599x501) Image search: [Google]
western women.png
272 KB, 599x501
>>44177772

Go to bed Anita.
>>
>>44177879
fuck off Imperiumfag.
>>
File: Mortal Cumbath.jpg (39 KB, 460x631) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Cumbath.jpg
39 KB, 460x631
>>44177909

>implying im not a bored Farseer
>>
>>44176423
>One brought a DnD 2e and the other DnD 4e. They got into a fight, beat each other over the heads with the rule books
so /tg/ IRL then
>>
>>44177476
>women
But you didn't post one
>>
>>44175920
wow you must be a retard, roleplaying is the best part. Getting super salty over a fictional characters death is a dick move and some one who does so shouldn't be played with or be some one you want to be around but saying you shouldn't roleplay your character is fucking stupid.
>>
No, not yet. But I can't help but feeling that it might, soon.
I'm running a game, and I can't help but feel that I'm the only one interested in it, because no one can be bothered to remember any details past vagueries like "That town" and "those guys." Combined with numerous inter-personal developments recently, I think everything might be on the outs soon.
I'm fighting depression, and constantly feeling like a piece of shit
My roommate, Player One got a boyfriend six months ago, and feels that I'm being a bitch about their relationship. Players Two and Three were recently revealed to be in a relationship after I confessed feelings to Two, and she professed non-mutual. And to close out the last two sessions, there was a shouting match each time. First because players were shocked about nearby cliffs, and I got mad at them for not paying attention, then because Player Four wouldn't stop trying to insist that a door that Three "found" (On a botched roll) wasn't real, and for me to just tell them.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 564x273) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 564x273
>>44183719
>having feelings for your players
>trying to get into a relationship with your players
Shit nigga what are you doing
>>
>>44183879
We've all been friends for years and years, we've been gaming for a year and a half. Which is why I'm terrified.
>>
>>44183946
What can I say? Shit like this happens and life goes on. It will indeed be heartbreaking when it comes, but you get on with your life and make new friends.

I've experienced this every single time my career has required me to move.
>>
>>44183719
This is why I never play tabletop with people I'm interested in beyond friendship.
Unless I'm already taken. Then it doesn't matter.

Unless the campaign isn't dear to me, I'd never dream of jeopardizing it.
>>
>>44170643
GMed an Elder Scrolls campaign where my friend, one of the players, never missed the opportunity to stir some political (non-TES) shit up. I never allow it in my games, two people I had to ask to leave before, exactly because of their provocative talk.

So, during an espionage arc against some corrupted Almsivi Temple priests he was continuously drawing parallels with our own country (Russian Federation ). At one point he stated I was a traitor to Putin and our people, a fifth column for reading foreign newsletters and not disapproving of anti-government opposition.
My own political views shouldn't even matter, because I purposely never allow any political talk at my table, be it aligned with my beliefs or not. Doesn't relate to our game – shut it off, even if I agree with you. The sad part was that I didn't agree, and that he turned out to be a fanatic.
>>
>>44170643
A friendship I tried to rekindle was destroyed, when said friend tried to teach us Pathfinder (and me to DM).
The games included but were not limited to:
>High lethality in what was told to be a easy learn the ropes campaign.
>His personal mary sues inserted.
>The "Rape Demon" made of Paladins and an elf.
>Favoritism over the only female cause he wanted to sleep with her.

There was a fuck ton more that happened and we were naive and dumb to continue past the first game. One has never played again, two have been wanting to play again after 2 years cause of the experience, and I have been playing since I managed to find a group.
>>
>>44187500
>political talk
A girl once stormed out after calling me and several players fascist racists, because I had the audacity to include multiple races of people in my fantasy setting with minor bonuses and penalties. She also apparently had problems with gender but I have no idea what they were.

>traitor to Putin
If Putin really didn't like you, he'd poison you.
>>
>>44171988
then they are supposed to fight eachother for the loot (in character)
>>
>>44170643
first time when someone got his character killed in a campain due to bad combat rolls

second time when the same guy tried to force me into implementing his own parallel world/ interdimensional dungeon concept into my campain , while not giving a shit about how the world in game works
then threatened me to not show up anymore if i wont play it out as he intended.

it is pretty shitty to GM a campain that isnt actually under your own control anymore.

still was able to calm him down eventually
>>
>>44187500
>traitor to Putin
Holy shit. Fellow russian here. I didn't know that those people play tabletops.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.