[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Our most sacred rule
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Assassin's Guild.jpg (32 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Assassin's Guild.jpg
32 KB, 240x240
We do not murder, We do not execute. We do not massacre. We never, you may be very certain, we never torture. We have no truck with crimes of passion or hatred or pointless gain. We do not do it for a delight in inhumation, or to feed some inner need, or for petty advantage, or for some cause or belief; I tell you, gentlemen, that all these reasons are in the highest degree suspect. Look into the face of a man who will kill you for a belief and your nostrils will snuff up the scent of abomination. Hear a speech declaring holy war and, I assure you, your ears should catch the chink of evil's scales and the dragging of its monstrous tail over the purity of language.

No, we do it for the money.

And, because we above all must know the value of a human life, we do it for a great deal of money. There are few cleaner motives, so shorn of all pretence. Nil mortifi, sine lucre. Remember. No killing without payment.'

And always keep the receipt
>>
>>44168574
...so.. you going anywhere with this or what?
>>
>>44168574
First line, I was like, oh great, another paladin wannabe moralfag.

Then I got to the end.

Bravo! Source?
>>
Welcome to the world of Shadowrun, you'll get along swimmingly.
>>
>>44168663
Pyramids: Terry Pratchett
>>
>>44168574
Best assassin's guild ever.
>>44168653
>>44168663
We have some woefully uneducated plebeians here!
>>
>>44168663
Not OP, but it's from Terry Pratchett: "Pyramids"

Story of a assassin raised not-egyptian noble coming back home to his tiny thousand year old paraoh-dom after his father dies because they need the noble on the throne to make sure the sun still rises, his wonderful family tree and an advisor who doesn't so much advise as direct.

It's a good story.

Of the top of my head another favorite line from the book is something along the lines of:

"Broadly, therefore, the three even now lurching across the deserted planks of the Brass Bridge were dead drunk assassins and the men behind them were bent on inserting the significant comma."
>>
>>44168705
Oh, I remember that one! Didn't finish or even get that far into it, just didn't catch me the way a lot of the ones about the Watch or Death do. I remember thinking the whole pyramid thing seemed awfully mind-controllish. Then getting distracted by Night Watch and not coming back to it.

Anyway, thanks guys. That's a pretty cool quote to keep in mind any time I need to portray an ultraprofessional mercenary force at the table.
>>
>>44168701
I know what it is.

I'm asking what it has to do with anything and why it was posted. Should I make a post that gives a brief of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs? It's about as relevant as this. Or should I just randomly quote Dune?

Is this thread discussing Discworld? Assassins? Guilds? Economies? Did OP just want to jerk off Pratchett's corpse? What?
>>
>>44168574

I have the old Assassins Guild diary, it's pretty cool with some extra insight into them.

I never got the two crosses with 'I' and 'II' in them. Knowing Pterry it's got to be some kind of reference or pun
>>
>>44168812
It's "totally not useless shitposting, I could use it in a setting, plus /lit/(/tv/sci/his/v/vr/vg/a/) hates it and we can only talk about it on /tg/!"
>>
>>44168838
It means "double cross"
>>
>>44168838
it's a double cross
>>
>>44170176
At least put "So how do assassins work in your setting" at the end people. Tangentially related is fine, so at least put SOME effort in and fake that it's board related.
>>
>>44168653
>>44168812
>>44170176
>>44171924
Far too much anal devastation for a Pratchett thread. Relax, ffs, rest assured we'll find something to talk about.
>>
>>44174034
If ONLY there was some kind of... Original Post that could specify the meaning and intended purpose of a thread. That would be handy.

Since there isn't I suppose we should just let this thread die and someone can make another thread some other time that actually discusses assassins, discworld or some combination thereof.
>>
>>44174034
If only there was a board for literature.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.