[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you like your archers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
File: a20151216.jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a20151216.jpg
427 KB, 1920x1080
How do you like your archers?
>>
At distance
>>
>>44166902
Well placed
>>
Twang!
Looks like it belongs in Shadowrun...
https://warframe.com/news/building-warframe-ivara
>>
>>44166902
I like nimble archers that move while they're shooting and stay just out of range of those pesky melee fighters. Movement perks and an a party member who can create rough terrain or otherwise slow down your enemies are your best friend.
>>
Larrsssssssssss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
>>
File: a20151216.jpg (254 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
a20151216.jpg
254 KB, 706x1000
I like my archers ship-shape
>>
File: a20151217.jpg (76 KB, 850x708) Image search: [Google]
a20151217.jpg
76 KB, 850x708
>>44167033
Nekomimi mode
>>
>>44166902
Competent.
Accurate.
>>
>>44166902
Flanking the enemy
>>
>>44166902
Non-scifi.

I mean really, why would you ever use a bow at that tech level?
For silent low-tech kills just use an air powered rifle.
>>
>>44166951
>"The ultimate archery trick is splitting an incoming enemy arrow in two."
I want this guy on my team.
>>
File: Girandoni_Air_Rifle.jpg (92 KB, 1398x806) Image search: [Google]
Girandoni_Air_Rifle.jpg
92 KB, 1398x806
>>44167140
>air rifles
>sci-fi
>>
>>44167140
Well, if your suit gives you immense drawing strength an high tech arrow can fuck you up.
>>
>>44167171
No you don't, he's a fraud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
>>
>>44167140
>he never played Crysis 3
>>
>>44167140
Because you're biomechanical space ninja with magical powers and probably have the strength of twenty hundred men with which to shoot arrows into the hearts of giant cloned women with miniguns whose minds have been hijacked with by long dead defense systems made of gold.
>>
>>44166902
>They told me I could be anything
>so I became a robot vagina archer
>>
>>44166902
Stronger and beefier than the melee fighters.
>>
File: 1449996638728.jpg (70 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
1449996638728.jpg
70 KB, 300x444
>>44167203
>>
>>44167140
>>44167183
A bow or more primitive weapon can have significance compared to a modern arm. In my home-brew setting, contemporary mage/demon hunters use massive metal bows to mirror their ancestors, who fought off legions of horrors with nothing but what they could make from their crashed spaceships. They require power armour and force of will to draw, but launch meter-long cold iron spikes at anything with a sniff of magic about them.
>>
>>44167187
Not saying she's wrong, but she criticizes him for using historical art to back up his claims and then turns around and does the same thing. Wtf
>>
File: aBKYU.jpg (238 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
aBKYU.jpg
238 KB, 640x908
>>44167215
A bow can shoot over cover like a mortar.
>>
>>44167260
She criticizes him for using historical art to back up claims on technique while ignoring that some of the very same art he uses contradicts him.

She uses the art to demonstrate equipment, not technique, and explains why that's OK as she does so.
>>
>>44167281
No, but it can shoot straight through it with enough power.
>>
>>44167281
Does this anime have any significance re: bows and shit?
>>
>>44167195
>>44167183
Hear me out. You could be strong.. but also have a GUN.
I'm still not hearing why I would want a bow, no matter how strong I am. It's slow to nock an arrow and release, it requires stringing, arrows must be selected one at a time. A gun is fast, smaller and has an entire magazine to burn through before reloading.
>>
>>44167546
The gun doesn't harness the enormous potential damage your strength is capable of.

In Warframe the bows do more damage than any fire arm and kill multiple enemies by punching straight through.
>>
>>44167195
He's got a point senpai. Warframe bows may have high damage, but because of their low fire rate, they'll never compete with modern weapons like the Tonkor (grenade launcher), any of a multitude of beam weapons, or even rapid repeating bolt-launchers (boltor prime).
>>
>>44167560
>more damage than any fire arm
Go say that to the guys in wfg on /vg/ and get laughed at. tonkor beats the bows for damage per shot and is aoe, and tons of other weapons beat bows for dps, like the phage, boltor P, sancti tigris, synoid simulor, etc etc.
>>
>>44167212
>Not wanting realistic archers that actually look like they can and in fact, are able to draw a warbow.
>>
>>44167187
This lady doesn't practice any form of historical archery and is grossly ignorant on the forms of non-European archery that Lars draws from.

She also very selectively reads from the texts Lars cites, ignoring the basis for his own arguments instead of properly addressing them.
>>
>>44167560
It doesn't harness that power because it has a better power source.

Also warframe... it has many good points. Realism is not one of them, let's face it. You can have bows be good in a scifi game. They're cool.
But it's like mecha. Don't expect me to think that they're a good idea without liberal handwavium bullshit powering them. They're cool as shit, but impractical as balls.
>>
>>44167572
They do though, because you can fire a bow into a crowd and kill any between you and the wall. Plus their firerate when nodded is about 1 arrow per second. Which is comparable or better than the tonkor/snipers, accounting for reload.
>>
>>44167579
Tonkor is a) not a firearm and b) one of the best weapons in the game.

It beats out the regular rocket launcher for damage per shot.
>>
>>44167593
Well obviously. The game has unabashed magic.
>>
>>44167582
It's mostly gonna be the arms and back though, melee fighters will be moderately beefy all over without STRONK arms and skipped leg day so they can waddle around the battlefield without getting tired and still wave their metal stick.
>>
>>44167597
don't bring snipers into this, they're garbage both from a damage and a damage per second standpoint, and their recent update did nothing to help them.
yes that is a similar fire rate to the tonkor.
no, you won't get as many kills per shot as the tonkor.
no, each shot will not do as much damage to each enemy as the tonkor
toss a shred / metal auger mod on any gun in the game and it will kill everything between you and a wall.
bows are fun but not viable and not even close to top tier.

We're getting off topic though. The only way you're going to outmatch a gun is if you're capable of storing elastic potential energy in the bow / bowstring greater than the chemical potential energy in the propellant of a round of the equivalent gun, or fire faster. We can assume you're not going to fire your bow faster than a magazine loaded or belt fed firearm, so that leaves greater kinetic energy. Sure you can get incredibly strong power armor, but you're going to need a bow made of materials that can hold up to that kind of energy transfer.

I can see one point in favor of bows over firearms, and it's a niche case. The undead. If you have no vital organs to target and are aiming for the complete destruction of your target, I can see tearing the enemy to shreds / crushing them as a viable alternative to poking little holes in them. Otherwise, the fuck are you doing.
>>
>>44166902
In massed peasant levies.
>>
>>44167609
1) grenade launchers are by definition firearms.

2) it was mentioned because it is one of the best weapons in the game, unlike any bow.

The regular rocket launcher is no good, but you're getting off topic. superior technology is by definition superior. I'm not saying more complicated things are inherently more useful, just that there's a reason things are phased out and replaced by other things.

>>44167617
they kind of took a cop-out and said "nanomachines, son!" at least for nekros. technocyte plague, something something.
>>
File: Silver_knight_dragonslayer.jpg (467 KB, 714x896) Image search: [Google]
Silver_knight_dragonslayer.jpg
467 KB, 714x896
heavily armoured, with dragonslaying greatbows
>>
>>44166902

Big and strong.
>>
>>44167816

With massive shafts and lots of penetrative power.
>>
Massive bodybuilders with an enormous amount of muscles and completely destorted bones. Basically freaks of nature that can rip a french knight in two with their bare hands.

They also only use the mighty longbow, produces from the finest yew and folded 1000 times and fire like an artillery. So max STR, but no DEX.
>>
>>44167872
I hate that pop fantasy has made bows the chick weapon.

Remember in the Odyssey when Odysseus had a bow that only he was strong enough to draw?

How did a weapon that requires an enormous amount of upper body strength get demoted to the weapon girls use? A sword would make more sense for a girl to use than a bow.
>>
>>44167639
I guess you can use trick arrows with bows. Explosive bolts and stuff.

That's how I'd do it. Not really stealthy, but still.
>>
>>44166902
Stealthy
>>
>>44166951
Debunked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
>>
>>44167802
>dragonslaying greatbows
No thank you. I'm not getting slammed by another telephone-pole-sized arrow.

Seriously, if they have the strength to fire those fucking things with enough force to push an armored warrior backwards, they should be hitting hard enough to knock one across the map.
>>
File: Bow Gals.jpg (638 KB, 2448x3150) Image search: [Google]
Bow Gals.jpg
638 KB, 2448x3150
Better than Elvish archers.
>>
>>44166902

Paladins. With holy arrows to destroy evil before it can even lay an eye upon the innocent.
>>
>>44168602
Now i want to see this: a buff as fuck chick that only uses bows.
>>
Magick. Capable of trolling the nastiest of bosses with relative ease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9jK9S4f7CU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZaYXoxV-0
>>
>>44167593
Balls are pretty practical, Anon.
>>
File: Shogun-2-total-war-monk-archer.jpg (406 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Shogun-2-total-war-monk-archer.jpg
406 KB, 1600x900
>>44166902
En masse.
>>
>>44169997
Balls on a mecha aren't.

Looking at you Michael Bay.
>>
>>44166902
Half drunk and slathered in every bodily fluid there is.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.