[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: DD.jpg (6 KB, 288x90) Image search: [Google]
DD.jpg
6 KB, 288x90
I havent played D&D in my life
is that good?
>>
>>44160793
Depends on your group. It'd either fucking awesome, or if your DM is a total autist kek it'll be really painful.
>>
>>44160829
Anon , its hard to learn how to play?
>>
>>44160793
>I haven't watched Star Wars in my life
>is that good?
>>
File: hold_onto_your_butts.jpg (15 KB, 274x297) Image search: [Google]
hold_onto_your_butts.jpg
15 KB, 274x297
No.

Dungeons and Dragons is the first and worst RPG, as I like to say.

It started out from a wargame and since has outgrown its original identity and it's shit mechanics (such as alignment and initiative) have persisted and even infected other RPGs.

The game has repeatedly fucked up and required a new edition as, being the most popular RPG, it is milked like shit for the small amount of profit it produces.

The game itself is laughable. EVERY edition has been laughable. From the retarded bullshit of the very very first booklet, with little rules for anything beyond pointless limitations and arbitrary tables, to the ass-backward to-hit mechanics of AD&D, to the unbalanced bloat of 3.5, to the "lol we're a video game" of 4e, to the 5e edition, which, hilariously, is FINALLY starting to catch up to where RPGs actually are today.

> bonds
> roll twice take best mechanics
> simplicity

These concepts are new to D&D, but are old hat to literally every other RPG designer. D&D is and has been a legacy brand since the late 90s when a large amount of almost objectively better systems began to be produced.

D&D only exists because of momentum. And that momentum is dying with each new edition. The best thing that can be said about D&D is that it is a containment RPG for plebs and "normies," and for most of the undesirable we would not want in our games.
>>
>>44162198
whats wrong with initiative ? please share any alternatives you hav
>>
>>44162198
It kind of seems like you just dislike it because it's the most popular role playing game.

That's probably not the case, because you bring up a couple good points. That's just the way it seems when people make posts like yours.
>>
>>44162198
This guy's right. D&D does kinda suck. And it always sucks in a different way.

AD&D: "hur hur THAC0."
3rd: "hur hur dumpsterdive for spells and abilities."
4th: "hur hur padded sumo."

I don't have any faith left to even try 5th.

Here's the thing though! With the right group, any of these editions can be fun. I won't call them good, but you can use them to run a game that's fun. And to be perfectly honest, most of the other stuff out there is just as bad, just differently bad.
>>
File: 1448937692483.png (220 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1448937692483.png
220 KB, 500x372
>>44162198
>ass-backward to hit mechanics
Do you mean thac0, a mechanic that even my 10 year old nephew understands?
>>
>>44162376
5th is probably the best D&D yet.

That said, they keep adding shit to it, and I'm terrified it'll end up like 3.5.
>>
>>44162389

does your nephew's neck hair go all the way down to his nipples too? must be nice startin' 'em young

>>44162223

exalted 2e was a piece of shit system, but learning the attack speed system was pretty fun. Depending on the weapon, your next turn is delayed by X timeframe boxes, which can be modified by magic and specific tricks. That was neat. Better than "oh, fuck, well, this wizard rolled higher than you by luck so I guess they'll always go before you do"
>>
>niggers hating 4E

It's the shining beacon of a good game in the sea of D&D dreck. Sure, WotC killed it and fucked the corpse and printed the pictures, but even after that it's still the best. Deal w/ it.
>>
>>44162879
You aren't obligated to play with all the rules. Unfortunately, this does little to save 3.x, as core-only is plenty broken.
>>
>>44162879

People said that when 3rd came out. (And they were right.) People also said that when 4th came out. (And a lot of people will argue the point.) I'm sure people said that when AD&D came out. You see where this is going, I trust. It's far too early to judge objectively.
>>
>>44165409
>(And they were right.)
3e actually had a lot of good ideas, but they were overshadowed by bad ideas and flawed execution. So the end result was a clusterfuck that was by no means better than what had come before it.
>>
>>44162879
Pretty much this, 3.0/5 was pretty good when splat was low. Imbalance in classes sure but it was still one of the better games on the market. But they just rode the horse into the ground with extra material which was OP, thematically unfitting or just plain autistic. 4e avoided this by being slightly too unpopular to warrant as much extra material.

Still 5e is a good game OP, get in and pick which material you want/allow at the table.
>>
>>44164170
Kekekekekekekekekekekek.
>>
>>44162879
Son, it already is

The first errata they released, the very first, NERFED the absolute weakest character option in the game.

If that doesn't tell you that they are diving directly down the path of 3.5, I don't know what will
>>
>>44160793
Yes, but with limitations

3.5, for example, is great fun, but only if everyone in the group that has experience with the system knows full well how broken it is and how the tiers work
>>
>>44162198
Then it would be good that OP hasn't played D&D.

Learn to read.
>>
Pen and paper rpgs in general are fun :)
many people don't like d&d, and there's definitely better stuff out there, but you can certainly have a good time with any edition of dungeons and dragons :)
>>
>>44162198
I'm sorry but what? You mostly hit upon the key bad points, which to my own admission are terrible (especially 3.5), but gave nothing else of real value in your post and it would be nice to hear your more complete breakdown of 3.5 onward because right now you just seem like a fag giving the ever popular "hurr durr D&D sucks" statement.

Additionally why did you list "bonds" of all things as a key-point? No player worth their salt is so creatively bankrupt as to be unable to find something in the game world to tether their character to.

Calling systems objectively better is bullshit skub talk with few exceptions.
>>
>>44160793

Yeah. Avoiding D&D is optimal.
>>
>>44164170
>niggers liking 4E

It's the tremendous spire of a offal and detritus jutting out of the ocean of D&D goodness. Sure, WotC developed within it a rock-solid miniatures tactical combat game, but even after that it's still the worst. Deal with it.
>>
>>44160829

Like pretty much any game ever
>>
File: It_Sure_Is.png (13 KB, 448x368) Image search: [Google]
It_Sure_Is.png
13 KB, 448x368
>>44160793
It is a thing.

If you have any interest in D&D 5e is probably the easiest to get into...
>>
>>44160793
Just avoid 3e/3.5 like the plague.
>>
I play AD&D 2nd and have literally zero issues with it. You know why? sometimes it's hard to grasp, but nearly ALL of the rules are OPTIONAL. AD&D is the most fleshed out edition and is easily compatible with almost all the older material.

I can thrust a group of capable noobies into a D&D world of any currently published realm in any module with little effort and little training because it's not as hard to grasp as people think. Your time playing any edition is going to be graded on how well your group can role play and go with the punches that any edition or system will throw at you. This has been true for my very first game as a player, and DM.
>>
>>44167888
Same, I also enjoy how the proficiency system and how well the proficiencies are described and fleshed out. On the same topic speed factor is a brilliant idea and I'm surprised it wasn't used in later editions. For me all the AD&D 2E, onwards feels way too video game-y.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.