[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no reason for an organic species to intentionally invent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: robot.jpg (54 KB, 300x384) Image search: [Google]
robot.jpg
54 KB, 300x384
There is no reason for an organic species to intentionally invent Von Neumann probes, especially weaponized ones, unless they just decided to destroy the universe and themselves along with it.
No matter how alien their cultural values are, they must have a self-preservation instinct. What possible use could they have for a machine that consumes resources exponentially and never builds anything but copies of itself? To prevent rival civilizations from evolving? Seems overly destructive compared to monitoring planets that might be a problem in the future and intervening as needed.
I can imagine something similar being used as a terraforming tool if it were given directives more complex than "grind planet to dust, make more probes, repeat", but if you encounter a machine that simply self-replicates for the sake of self-replication, you can be sure either it wasn't designed by anything organic, or it was an accident.
Am I wrong?
>>
>>44157295
I think the assumption for most Von Neumann swarms is that they were originally made for something else but are malfunctioning. Like you said, they're meant to be able to do more than just make more of themselves, but something broke in their programming so that's all they do now. Endlessly running the self-replication loop and disregarding any commands to build other things.
>>
>>44157295
>but if you encounter a machine that simply self-replicates for the sake of self-replication
There's a good chance that they're not JUST Von Neumann machines but also have other functions, perhaps.

Like providing exploration data, or mining and sending back raw materials to a particular spot, or fighting against another von neumann probe swarm.

It could even be an intelligent Von Neumann swarm.
>>
I thought the idea wasn't "they do something else" or "why invent them" but that the creators built things, like say, an ai, which then due to improper coding, hacking, magic whathaveyou, that they stopped doing what they were supposed to be doing and turned into Von Neumanns.
>>
The fan fic "my life as a teenage von Neuman device" has ruined this term for me
>>
>>44157295
What if the progenitor species of the Von Neumann have evolved beyond the biological need for self-preservation, and have decided to create a race far superior to their own?

Slap in some mind-upload/transfer tech and FTL communications, and it effectively comes out to:
"Weak fleshbags decide to embrace the purity of the machine and spread their inscrutable civilization across all of time and space"
>>
>>44157660
>spread their inscrutable civilization across all of time and space
See, OP is thinking of drones that do nothing BUT make more drones - not art, not war, not communicate or scout or send data or do experiments or even protect themselves -

These assumed Von Neumann drones are ONLY going to make more.

And then OP goes and says "no-one would make such a thing on purpose, surely?"

Technically only crazy people might. And omnicidal folks who can't design their own drone but can tamper with the settings of other drones might do this.

But it's a bit silly a statement, really. The definition of a Von Neumann drone is far too simplified by OP.
>>
>>44157295
Because some twisted mustache twirling scientist who struck out with a girl because he was a "nice guy" wishes to see the universe burn to ashes as it is almost literally fucked to death by Von Neumann drones
>>
>>44157295
>a machine that consumes resources exponentially and never builds anything but copies of itself
You mean like humans? Or any other lifeform?

I mean I guess we do other stuff too, but consume and reproduce sums it up pretty well.
>>
>>44157295
Unless, you know, they do something besides reproduce. Like monitor and send back data, or reconstruct settlers from uploaded brainstates when a colonizable world is found, or seed lifeless planets, or build stargates, or something.
>>
>>44158015
man wouldn't that be weird, to be a freshly revived colonist meeting your two century old copy when the portal opens.
>>
>>44157295
>it was an accident.
>Am I wrong?
I see two options.

1 - The probes may have been a doomsday weapon. A sort of last "fuck you" to a galaxy/universe that in the crazed minds of the creators, allowed their civilization to be wiped out.

2 - They are the product of an apocalyptic cult, religion or civilization. A means to hasten the end of this world so as to bring about the next one.

Both of these have examples in current or past human history, so it is not impossible that an alien civilization had the same sort of misguided ideas.
>>
>>44157940
The only difference between Von Neumanns and normal life is that Von Neumanns are far more efficient and can eat everything.
>>
>>44157295
maybe not a terraforming tool, but an explorer. Something small, light, and doesn't need food or air or light..something that could explore the stars and catalog all life found
>>
>>44158071
If you're in the sort of civilization where people copying is possible, this probably happens every decade when you have your self-runion.
>>
>>44157655
Is it...lewd?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.