[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CofD/ Chronicles of Darkness General? /wod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Designing a Galataid.png (848 KB, 478x920) Image search: [Google]
Designing a Galataid.png
848 KB, 478x920
So, nWoD is now Chronicles of Darkness.
http://theonyxpath.com/announcing-chronicles-of-darkness/

There's a ton to discuss. Name change for nWoD, oWoD is coming back in full force, and Dreaming is kickstarted great. But what should we do with these threads? We've split oWoD and nWoD before, but that never really works, and there are plenty of fans of both. We even end up talking about Storypath and Pugmire and Cavaliers of Mars sometimes. Hell, we often become OPP-but-not-Exalted-general.

Also, like... all of my IRC groups and these thread starter images I use are stuck with the wrong name...
----------------------------------------

Here's the images I use to start threads (now all mislabeled...)
http://imgur.com/a/oerTd

I'm also currently working on updating Geist to 2e, since I can't wait another ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ two years. Feel free to make suggestions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SMgt9996QXnCahP_B6acce9_vZuj5myu_3RC7JYygpw/edit

Changeling the Dreaming kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-changeling-the-dreaming-20th-anniversary-ed
http://theonyxpath.com/
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/
https://mega.nz/#F!wpB0ib4a!EsAU0AE4ihrNlDWzp3-MIw
>>
>>44148164
>They're tied with Earthbound, Ferrymen and Lasombra, because while edgy it feels... less tryhard than other clans, it's hard to explain, for me. Not sure what that says about me.
Lasombra are fine. Ventrue are not because their players invariably portray them terribly.
>>
File: Tremere - V20.jpg (44 KB, 572x725) Image search: [Google]
Tremere - V20.jpg
44 KB, 572x725
>>44148251
Our Ventrue is a pretty swell guy. He's all about responsibility and duty and such, and he hasn't talked any shit about my clan in months, not since we got to know one another. He's the only other player character with a clan or NPC associates that give a damn besides the Italian-American (whom we despise, of course.)
>>
Does anyone here think that "Chronicles of Darkness" sounds like the subtitle to a spinoff of a JRPG series?

Say:
>"Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Chronicles of Darkness"
>"Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Chronicles of Darkness"
>"Disgaea 5: Chronicles of Darkness"
>"Tales of Symphonia 3: Chronicles of Darkness"
>>
>>44148390
>"Disgaea 5: Chronicles of Darkness"
How could I justify a CofD tactics game?
Hunter: The Vigil game with an XCOM system where you play as TFV?
>>
We were talking about it last thread. Splitting the two threads doesn't work because /tg/ doesn't have a sustained enough interest in either setting to keep the general going, and there's just not enough new books and running games at this time to justify a more focused split. If OPP can get CofD books put on a regular schedule and White Wolf gets WoD books on the shelves, there's more of a reason to split.

The last thread talked a bit about using Realms of Darkness and /rodg/ as a common name and I still think that works for now. If anything, it'll be incentive to get that pastebin going to break things down by setting.

As for the lesser Onyx Path stuff, I'm OK with it. It's not like they dominate the threads. Scion'll probably have a general once it's out anyways.
>>
>>44148436
Maybe not everything needs to be a general thread, especially a constantly renewing one. There's actually good discussion going on in the specific threads right now, and it would avoid the weird cabin fever-y atmosphere this one has developed. If people actually have a good story to tell, or idea to propose maybe try and post it as its own thing.
>>
>>44148448

Oh, is that option on the table? We've had these threads for so long I think I've forgotten. Wow, that's fucked up now that I think about it.

Yeah, you know what? Fuck Generals. Let's just not be one for a while.
>>
>>44148424
that sounds really cool actually...
>>
>>44148502
>Oh, is that option on the table?
I don't see why its not. Tell you the truth, I don't really understand how this one became a permanent fixture. Even back when WW was putting out books regularly there wasn't a 24:7 thread with all the same people, and session storytimes have always been popular on the boards even when its for games people don't normally play (I loved those L5R ones, that shit made me fall in love with the setting)

I'm a bit pissed the Promethean specific thread from last night died while I was asleep. I really wanted to see more of the Doom Van of the Wasteland. Maybe I'll make it myself later.
>>
>>44148448
>nd it would avoid the weird cabin fever-y atmosphere this one has developed.
DaveB hasn't put on a fruit hat and no-one has spontaneously turned into a stereotypical German., so we can't be that crazy.
>>
>>44148448
>>44148502
>>44148573
The problem is that it's hard to not have generals these days. When we don't, people wait around to ask their questions when the general comes up. I hate generals, but we're now in the age of them. We can no longer have shorter single topic threads like we did back in 2007 or whenever.
>>
>>44148619
True, but you can't deny that its full of muppets.
>>
>>44148682

There's three thriving WoD threads as we speak: two for Beast, and one talking about the new CofD. There's been individual WoD threads popping up in the past week. I think that's proof enough that the General isn't necessary.
>>
Thanks a lot guys, for spreading the love of it.
The subnet is gone.
>>
>>44148846
I wouldn't say "thriving". The one Beast general is getting a post when it hits page 8 and the other is filled with people who barely read the Kickstarter preview, much less the final version.
>>
>>44148848
Why?
>>
>>44148848
You typed the wrong address.
http://rp.thesubnet.com/
>>
>>44148910
Wow, they fucking got on redoing their links to NWoD as CoD, didn't they? That was why I thought it was gone, none of the actual links I was using worked.
>>
>>44148910
I have no idea what the subnet is. Online roleplay?

Also, don't split the threads.
>>
>>44148935
Oh, Jeez, they really did.

How come they could do that so fast but not update the splat infos? Although apparently they just changed the links and titles, since the "World of Darkness (New)" page still links to first edition, and none of the vampire or werewolf things are updated.
>>
Why exactly do these Bene Ashmedai use like, the Solomon seals for their summoning? As I understand it they are all heavily into the practice of goetia and summon their own personal "demons" from their mind.
They wouldn't be summoning Astaroth or whatever demon, so why use the seals?
>>
>>44148860

That's what a non-general thread speed is like. It only seems slow because we've been in generals so long. Not everyone's going to post in a thread because it's a WoD thread.
>>
>>44149071
A thread that dies fast and then everyone waits around for someone else to make the next one so they can ask their question is not a good thread.
>>
So I'm doing some WoD homebrew for an online chat game that a friend of mine recruited me to help with. I'm trying to go through NWoD Merits for anything that would be good as OWoD Backgrounds. Do you guys have any Merits (ignoring fighting styles, 'cause fuck those) that you think would convert well to OWoD Backgrounds?
>>
>>44148329
that is one frumpy looking vampire
>>
>>44149367
Hey, it's at least one of the better pieces of V20 art.
>>
>>44149395
I still don't understand why they were okay with some of the Mage art.
>>
>>44149367
The Tremere write-up seemed to encourage frump, or at least boring dress, when you're out in public spaces.
>>
>>44149092

That seems more like a problem with posters than with the format of the board, to be honest.
>>
>>44149148

The basics: Allies, Contacts, Resources. At least two of those are Backgrounds already.
>>
I recently heard about owod getting new books (not 20th anniversary edditions) is this true? Will they also be written by the same group of mentally ill fags that wrote nwod?
>>
>>44149527
The posters make up the board, though. It's a chicken/egg thing. It doesn't really matter which comes first, the one makes the other.

>>44149560
Here's your reply.
>>
>>44149600
>you must be a tranny to like wod
>>
>>44149600

Fair point.

Have they announced whose line lead on the WoD4 lines yet? It's be silly not to sweep up Eddy Webb. He's already got notes and his VtM work is solid stuff.
>>
>>44149650
Dunno, apparently White Wolf is doing it in house. Don't know if that means there will be freelancers involved or not, but you're right, they'd be crazy not to grab as many old White Wolf alumni as they can.
>>
>>44149543
All those already exist as backgrounds. I was thinking more stuff that exists in NWoD only that would translate over. I was thinking about stuff like...

Armory
Esoteric Armory
Cant Style (renamed Cant)
Carthian Pull (Anarch Merit, renamed Pull)
Library
Necropolis (renamed Warrens)
Staff

Any suggestions from other game lines would be welcome.
>>
>>44149663

Yeah, I think it's a good move to do it in-house. Less overhead and the books come out faster. I'm gonna take a guess that if it isn't Webb leading, it'll be Justin Achilli, if Paradox shells out enough.
>>
>>44149663
I guess we'll see. They haven't said anything literally beyond that they're doing it in house now. My guess is, with their push for metaplot and their tweet 'a lot of things have happened since 2001,' they may actually ignore the Gehenna stuff and continue onward without a post-Gehenna setup that V4 was going to have.

I dunno, I read between the lines a lot.
>>
>>44149680

Oh, OK! Dang, all that really comes to mind are the cool new CofD Merits, but those are so baked into the system it wouldn't be worth it to carry over.

You know, Where the Bodies are Buried from VtR 2e would be a great Background for a well connected Kindred in VtM.
>>
As someone who actually preferred a lot of the oWoD stuff, I'm not sure how I feel about bringing it back. It had its time, and the stuff is still there. I would kind of prefer them doing a new thing rather than try to retread something that's already been done, and was kind of time-specific to boot.
>>
>>44149704

I think it's the obvious move to ignore Gehenna. I think part of the reason that people were so blindsided by the Time of Judgement is no one expected the Gehenna event to actually drop.
>>
>>44149751
Not to mention Gehenna was pretty shit.
>>
>>44149735
Dude, it's been back for a while. There's been stuff released in the 20th Anniversary books that is new and updated and changes, like the Anarch Sorcery paths in the Anarch book (I still laugh hilariously at the concept of beating the tar out of someone and taking on their appearance)

>>44149751
Maybe. I am ambivalent; everything I run is in a pre-Gehenna world updated to the modern times anyway, including ignoring the Ravnos Ante's death (as of right now, anyway). I think that either way they go, they'll lose someone; the people who feel everything has been done to death and feel post-Gehenna would make a great setting, and those who feel Gehenna was stupid and should never have happened.

Me, I'm ambivalent. I have ideas about a post-Gehenna world (mostly because I love the way it was portrayed in the Gehenna novel, and that left possibilities open), but I can do either. I'm more curious to see what they do mechanically, since they tweeted about 'taking good ideas from sources that produce them'.
>>
>>44149560
It's always been the same group of mentally ill fags, they just train new mentally ill fags as the older ones die of AIDS.

If you enjoyed any world of darkness product at any point, I'm afraid you're a terminally mentally ill fag like the rest of us.
>>
>>44149734
I'll look at those. Any immediate suggestions you might have immediately? That one sounds really cool. Mostly we're looking to pad out the list of things to spend XP on and give roleplay opportunities for (and that one sounds right up the alley), since a long-term persistent chat game... there eventually becomes dinosaur syndrome.
>>
Gehenna When??
>>
>>44149813

Hmm. Actually, there might be some CofD Merits that could fit in. Greyhound's a one dot merit that gives you a better chance at Exceptional Success, but only while you're being chased. Takes One To Know One gives you a bonus to investigating people and motives that align with your Vice (Maybe Archetype would work for an oWoD game?)

>>44149785

I'm going to take a leap and guess that there's more casual fans that prefer a pre-Gehenna setting that are willing to pay up for that. I've seen people who've only played Bloodlines get really angry that the setting had an apocalypse at all, it makes them feel like they missed out on something special.
>>
>>44149785
Doesn't change the fact I'm still ambivalent about it. It's just weird. Like reading Dragonlance books when you're an adult and realizing that maybe they're not as cool as you remembered them. 90s vampire stuff almost feels like a parody of itself in 2015.
>>
So what kinds of things could one find in the Hedge? I've heard it described between Wonderland, a realm of nightmares, and the ultimate dungeon crawl.
>>
Would Someone into Autoerotic Aspyhxiation be a good basis for one of the Silent?
>>
>>44149884
I'm looking through my GMC and 2e books now, since there's not a good repository that lists everything, so I'll keep an eye on those things.
>>
>>44149892
Yes
>>
>>44149889

In the Hedge, time and space are meaningless. Aside from the usual hobgoblins and boon giving goblin fruits, you can find emotion and soul bits dripping off the thorns. The Hedge had its own ecology, with dangerous monsters. It is entirely possible that you could go into the Hedge and come out in an alternate timeline, though usually most people come out in their own time line, days or even months in the future.
>>
>>44149884
Probably. The new Lead Storyteller/devleoper for WW is also metaplot happy and has some lofty goals with contiguous metaplot drawn from all kinds of sources, including big official LARP events, so we'll see. I'm a LARPer, but man, I'd hate to have ongoing decisions made by LARP groups, even in an official 'once a year we have this huge, prepped game' capacity.

They want to branch out as much as they can, so doing it pre-Gehenna makes sense from that point; it'd be hard pressed to get people interested in a post-Gehenna scenario and have that interest come across in their big-ass media blitz (since they talked about CCG/LCG, a Netflix series and video games as well).

>>44149886
Welcome to adulthood, anon. We were young then, and things that looked super cool and new have had their shiny wear off.

>>44149889
It really is kind of a grab-bag, as it's a land of dreams and imagination bordering the realm of dreams, Arcadia. I like drawing inspiration from Hellboy and Labyrinth for some of the hedge, especially Goblin Markets and towns. So having, say, a hob that has a trash can that he can get into and pull from the local city dump via magic is a viable idea, or a hob that somehow draws addicts to her as they enslave themselves to their vices and addictions would work. Really, it's anything you want it to be, especially via magical effects.
>>
The Paradox panel was uploaded, if you'd like to hear the future of the WoD from the words of its new caretakers: https://youtu.be/6GPHHly8cfw
>>
File: 1437444347676.png (475 KB, 627x477) Image search: [Google]
1437444347676.png
475 KB, 627x477
>>44149794
>>
>>44150016
Anything neat in there?
>>
>>44150195

Haven't watched it yet, since it's a 50 minute video and a panel video at that. You gotta settle down for one of those. I'll put up highlights when I'm done, though.
>>
>>44150195
One World of Darkness is the Classic World of Darkness in the 21st century, except with a slightly more global feel. Explicit reference to the Garou Nation and Mages who feel threatened by technology. It's all fucked. Fuck my life.
>>
pdf upload when?
>>
>>44150417

Oh god, I cannot imagine the Garou Nation functioning in the 21st century. Between climate change progressing faster than any of us expected and the ubiquity of modern tech, most of them have probably died off in shame and Rage.
>>
>>44150463
Glass Walkers are doing fine. Them and the Technocrats tried to have a team up at one point.

Rest of the Garou are losing like hell though.
>>
You know, the only way Beast could work is if it was given a mention in the Neolithic Dark Age.
>>
>>44150417
I didn't get that impression that mages were afraid, only that the world has been deeply changed by technology.

Also, Garou Nation with a possibly dead Gaia? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>44150606
Oh god, cue the Apoctards.
>>
>>44150585
It will be. Everything will get mentions in every other Dark Era.
>>
>>44150616
The fuck are you on about? I said it's just interesting? Get that salt pillar out of your ass.
>>
>>44150645
Not you. The people who go apeshit over anything that fucks with RIGHTEOUS GAIA bulltshit.
>>
>>44150606
Aren't all mages not with the techno-wizards a small minority and loosing ground because no one wants to be tethered to the old ways?
>>
Has anyone posted CofD yet?
>>
>>44150424

Give it a week or two, same as every other PDF upload that isn't D&D. Honestly, if you already have the GMC, it's not that different. The totally new stuff is Equipment rules, Explosion rules, Chase rules, and Vehicle rules. The last half's a full reprint of the first half of GMC.
>>
>>44150621
Well at least we'll get to see what Beasts were like back when they were actually relevant.
>>
>>44150677

In Revised, sure. I don't think WoD4 will be following Revised's lead.
>>
>>44150822
If you've got it, why not just upload it to Mega or something? There are no watermarks or anything.
>>
why is the cWoD fandom so full of terrible fucking people holy shit
>>
What if the Leviathan Kerberoi is the root of the Makara Beast family?
>>
>>44150874
Flibbity floo, here's your (you)
>>
>>44150677
Tell that to /pol/ and their Meme Magic. Might count as Technomancy, I guess, though; they'd probably fit in the Virtual Adepts, which might cause funny interactions between the Old Guard Virtual Adepts who are probably left-wing libertarian types and the fascist /pol/ Meme Wizard types.

Might also cause a bit of conflict over paradigm as well, because they're not hacking reality through computer code, they're casting magick spells over the Internet using image memes.
>>
>>44149886
Are you me? I tried doing that a few months ago and was shocked by how badly they were written.
>>
>>44151083

I could see Meme Wizards being the ungodly love child of the more conservative Virtual Adepts and an Order of Hermes house with no shame.
>>
The name sounds stupid, but everything in the new core is pretty great. Dread Powers moved to the core book makes so much more sense than just letting hunters have it.
>>
>>44150907
>Beast
>anything Beast
You just go sit in a corner and think about all the badness you've done.
>>
>>44151428
So... you gonna upload it for us?
>>
>>44151464
How about no. 'Sides, Neolithic Mage will be good, because then we'll what Beasts were like when they were actually relevant.
>>
>>44151480
Nope, I got that flaw(ethics) thing
>>
>>44151480
Just buy it, guys. If you're not going to, fine, but at least stop pestering people about it and wait.

Or be the hero you want to see in the world and buy it so you can upload it for people like you.
>>
>>44151824

We don't need another hero
>>
Surely oWoD should be called Chronicles of Darkness since it's the one with the overarching metaplot?
>>
>>44151824
I'm poor and don't have a credit card :<
I'm not a responsible adult.
>>
>>44151911
Nah, that would make too much sense
>>
>>44151513

I can't imagine it'll be very impressive, considering it'll be a couple hundred word writeup. Not that I don't appreciate that we're getting a "So what were the other lines up to?" sidebar.
>>
>>44151911

To be fair, oWoD had the name first. It's also the first thing people think of when they hear the name "World of Darkness" if they're not hip with the tabletop stuff.
>>
>>44148682
Fucking SJWs ruining everything.
>>
>>44151911
new WoD is the one called Chronicles of Darkness because it's always been intended the one that's about YOUR Chronicles instead of the devs' World, basically.
>>
>>44151961
If they're not hip with tabletop stuff they've never heard of wod. They MIGHT have heard of Masquerade.
>>
>>44149066
?Anyone at all?
>>
>>44149066
>>44152242

I actually got the idea that the Bene Ashmedai are essentially those Clavicularii that actually do summon demons, as in from the Inferno.
>>
>>44152242

The seals might just be an easy way of forming the imago. Find a seal that resonates with your Vice/bad side and use that as a base.
>>
So let's say Dracula gave you the chance to pitch a Netflix WoD series (or CofD if you desire). What's the line, who's the protagonist, and what's the first season plot?
>>
For some reason this made me think of Demon: the Descent, I'm not really sure why.
>>
>>44152820
Vampires and Werewolves are kind of overdone in the current climate. It would be hard to stick out. So I go with Mage: the Awakening. The reason I would go with Awakening over Ascension is, while both games are fairly high-brow, as a viewer of Awakening you can get by with "mages doing magic in a modern setting" while the whole consensual reality of Ascension would probably be too much for most viewers.

The plot would be something simple to start off with. A Cabal, including at least a Guardian, Arrow and a Libertine, are hot on the heels of a Scelestus serial killer. Later on they need the help of the Seers of the Throne (at this point only known to the viewer as shady mages the protagonists despise) to catch the killer. Use the Abyss and ritual killings to sprinkle some extreme weirdness and hints of Lovecraftian horror in.
>>
>>44152820
A young mage trans life mage that has just awakened and how has to deal with both the technocracy, school life and her own feelings.
>>
>>44152820

Season 1: Vampire. Werewolves are a thing.

Season 2: Werewolves. Mages are implied to be a thing.

Season 3: Mages. Slight hint at Prometheans.

If we go from there then we go from there.
>>
>>44153037
A group of minor templates desperately trying to be relevant subplot
>>
>>44153037
WoD series done like American Horror Story would be cool.
>>
>>44153091
>Proximi, Ghoul and Wolf-Blood as the Three Stooges.
Heh.
>>
>>44150874

That some people after 10 years are still mad.
Wow.
>>
>>44153293

I'm still amazed that, after a successful 20th Anniversary line, translation guides, and a living game revival announcement, some people are still really fucking mad about 2004.
>>
>>44153321
What happened in 2004?
>>
File: 1449892929554.jpg (3 MB, 5056x3371) Image search: [Google]
1449892929554.jpg
3 MB, 5056x3371
>>44148215
>CoD

Whatever. Why isn't there a WoD Malifaux clone?
>>
>>44150831
Just not very much. Those crossover sidebars have a lot of games to cover, after all, and not much space to do them in.
>>
File: 1448275357299.webm (2 MB, 1319x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448275357299.webm
2 MB, 1319x1080
>>44148215
This is slowly becoming a Japanese-tier mashup of titles.
>>
>>44153378
nWoD was born.
>>
>>44149066

Because Oneiric Goetia - especially of "negative" parts of your identity - often have demonic forms. They're echoes of real, Pandemonium demons, but the Keys of Solomon are still perfectly good Yantras for spells dealing with them.

The Bene Ashmedai (well, those who are Mastigos) probably do go in for summoning Supernal Demons, too. The Keys would be good for that, as well.
>>
>>44153378

The Time of Judgement. White Wolf decided to end the World of Darkness with a series of four books: Gehenna for Vampire, Apocalypse for Werewolf, Ascension for Mage, and Time of Judgement for every other line. The last page of Time of Judgement had a ad for the New World of Darkness. The results were controversial to say the least.
>>
>>44153449
>>44153523
Dave can you just be straight with us and tell us what happened with Amy V?
>>
File: Rape Face Activated.jpg (55 KB, 293x335) Image search: [Google]
Rape Face Activated.jpg
55 KB, 293x335
>>44153537
>>
>>44149419
We weren't.
>>
>>44153523
I thought that Goetic demons are more human in shape; like if I summoned up my paranoia it'd look like me, just more disheveled and nervous. I didn't think that they'd look like actual demons.
>>
>>44153442

That is a good question that someone should be asking Dracula. I'd play a WoD/CofD minis game in a heartbeat.

>>44153475

I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Darkness: Mage the Awakening: Second Edition featuring the Fallen World Chronicle.
>>
>>44153791
>I thought that Goetic demons are more human in shape; like if I summoned up my paranoia it'd look like me, just more disheveled and nervous. I didn't think that they'd look like actual demons.

Think about what that would say about your character.

"Yeah, when my mind conjures up the platonic image of my fears and paranoia, it's literally just me on a bad day."
>>
>>44153708
Will you fucking drop this shit and go away? No one cares and if you keep harping on about this we might lose the only quality OPP people who actual do come here to post.
>>
>>44153820

The 1e core Mage art was straight up just that for Goetia, though. The only look we got of it was an old man and his younger, firery self.
>>
>>44153895

1E Mage was also garbage execution from top to bottom. "Here's the practices! But we won't abide by them." "Here's Wisdom! It's shittier morality." "Here's your enemies! We're gonna completely bungle half of them."

Art failures are just part of the package.
>>
>>44153523
>>44153449
Hey Dave, I'm an Ascension player and a buddy of mine running a WoD game and wants me to play a Mage. I've never read NWoD Mage, anything you recommend or tips you can give?
>>
>>44153814
>Chronicles of Darkness: Mage the Awakening: Second Edition featuring the Fallen World Chronicle

I'd buy it if it's a revamped edition.
>>
>>44152995
Sold. Make it, Netflix.
>>
File: creepy.png (609 KB, 900x446) Image search: [Google]
creepy.png
609 KB, 900x446
>>44153820
Should I feel better if the Goetic part of me is some monstrous many headed hydra that constantly drips acidic lies or something out of the Persona games?
>>
>>44153823
Im sorry im interested in what happened to one of my fave rate writers.
>>
>>44153708
Shut. The. Fuck. Up.
>>
>>44153958

>Chronicles of Darkness: Mage: The Awakening: Second Edition Featuring the Fallen World Chronicle Revised Featuring Dante from the Mage: The Ascension series

How about now?
>>
>>44153820
>>44153969
I mean as cool as that looks (and some Persona things) it just makes it seem like the goetic-demon is more than something a mage could deal with, that their wrath-envy-whatever is something more than they can deal with if it has an inhuman appearance.
>>
>>44153958
>>44154162
This is the intro credits to a MGSV mission.
>>
File: 1443735587881.gif (55 KB, 678x422) Image search: [Google]
1443735587881.gif
55 KB, 678x422
>>44154241
>>
>>44153708
>>44153823
>>44153995
>>44154006
He's a freelancer, not an employee, so he probably doesn't know any more than the rest of us.
>>
>>44154241
>>>44153958
add

>bonus Kickstarter goal: a Nanosferatu clan designed, directed and written by director Hideo Kojima
>>
>>44154341
I never thought of that to be honest. Feel bad for asking him now.
>>
>>44154344
meant for >>44154162
>>
What would a Mortals game focused around cults look like? Would you just make all the PCs members of one cult?

I had an idea I kind of wanted to try, poaching some ideas from the GMC chronicle and essentially have a God-Machine version of Mordheim where cults are all attracted to that vast city the GM built in the one scenario, now abandoned and overrun with cryptids and malfunctioning infrastructure..but would that be cool for a whole Chronicle or more one-shot material?
>>
>>44153321
Because OH MY GOD THIS THING THAT DEFINED MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE WAS ENDED. AND THEN REPLACED BY ALMOST THE SAME THING BUT NOT AAAUGH FUCKING WW YOU FUCKING SUCK.

There, that's pretty much it.
>>
>>44154272
PUT IT IN YOUR BODY OR YOU'RE A NERD
https://youtu.be/rrlQhklDjIs [Embed]

>>44154344
>Nanosferatu
I giggled
>>
>>44154456

It sounds like that'd make a good one-shot. I could see that being run at conventions.
>>
>>44154485
Don't write like a retard. Caps lock for emphasis, be it a joke or a strawman never works right.
>>
>>44153952
Don't go into Awakening with any preconceived notions about the world due to your exposure with Ascension. They're separate games and if you go into it that way, you'll have a fucking coronary.
>>
>>44154485

I can see people being real sore for a while, at least. oWoD meant a lot to people. But ten years of that? Yeesh.
>>
What's the weirdest thing nwod Vampires can do?
>>
>CoD

you mad bro??
>>
anyone know if this review is accurate?

if I should just get GMC and NWOD?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews_info.php?&reviews_id=135900&products_id=168428
>>
>>44154770
Yeah, like half the book is just the God Machine stuff reprinted. The first half of the book is good. If you're interested in doing games that aren't about the God Machine, the second half is basically useless.

Get it in pdf for the extra rules systems (investigation, new vehicles rules, build-a-monster system, etc), I wouldn't bother with a hardcopy.
>>
>>44154616
That is a bit of a vague question. Do you mean in general or stuff like exotic Bloodlines?
>>
>>44154616
Undead menses
>>
>>44154899
Im still confused about what the hell GMC added to Nwod in the first place??
>>
>>44154770
He's mostly accurate in terms of page length but I don't agree with his conclusions. He seems to forget that this was always supposed to be just an amalgam of the 1e corebook with the GMC changes, and anything added was just gravy that frankly none of us were even expecting till they were teased for us. The Investigation and Equipment-building sections especially were complete surprises.

He wanted a completely redone and reworked book with entirely fresh content and that was never what was promised. He also spends way too much time editorializing his hatred for the God-Machine Chronicle stuff which most people agree is amazing AND turns a generic rules book into a fully functional game book with its own stories to tell and a direction to take them.
>>
>>44154992
see
>>44154991

ive only read the 1e core
>>
>>44154991
Morality replaced with Integrity. Virtue and Vice more abstracted rather than a set list to choose from mirroring the biblical sevens. Combat redone, etc.

tl;dr - A lot.
>>
>>44154991
Gave it a meta plot - everything is the God Machine.
>>
>>44154964
That's far from the weirdest thing.

>>44154991
When they couldn't make a real second edition, their thing was going to be "Chronicle" books instead. The God-Machine Chronicle was meant to expand on one of the more popular fluff pieces from the corebook and turn it into a guidebook for running a specific "Chronicle" for regular mortal characters, as well as to tease the up and coming Demon: The Descent.

That's all God-Machine Chronicle is. It's a book for running a mortals game that focuses on uncovering a sinister secret conspiracy where the world is manipulated by a cosmic computer that functions as a supernatural deity. No more, no less.

It also served as the first-ish example of the new rules set, which would be rolled out in the future Chronicle books (and eventually became Second Edition and now Chronicles of Darkness).
>>
>>44155090
>>44155088
I think the GMC metaplot sounds kinda dumb, but it sounds like it includes more information on making human characters and the game itself?

sounds like a good fit to just get the new rule book, especially if GMC doesnt interest me
>>
>>44155134
It's not a metaplot. It's one particular option for running a game. And even then it's actually several different options that all are based around the same theme. There are like twelve different options for just what a "God-Machine Chronicle" could look like, including an alien space ship that crashed on Earth, the literal God, a Hitchhiker's Guide-esque planetary supercomputer, or a Cold War computer that became sentient. Those are just a few examples.
>>
>>44155088
Backstory and an overarcing antagonist/setting IS NOT METAPLOT. If they introduced the God-Machine being reprogrammed by a gray alien to go back to its original purpose in a future book, and references all Angels falling due to this in a further book, THAT would be metaplot.
>>
>>44155192
Oh guess I adapted a cynical side too early. Hmm well even still there are also just updated rules in general right?
>>
What's your favorite Gehenna/Apocalypse/etc scenario?

How do you deal with the End Times in 2015?
>>
>>44155262
The Sixth Great Maelstrom
>>
>>44153708
Amy has never worked for me. Why would I know anything?

>>44153952
My main pro-tip: Awakening, like other CofD games, has a distinctly, uh... *Non-aspiational* edge to it.

By which I mean: Ascension thinks mages are the best thing ever. Not power-level wise, but in the "they're what all humans should aspire to be".

Awakening mages might share that opinion, but the important thing to realize is this: Awakening mages are *assholes*. Awakening is about obsession, and how much you (fail to) care about the collateral damage that obsession causes. The Awakened call themselves "The Wise" as a pretense, same way vampires call themselves "Kindred" to pretend that they don't hate one another's guts.

Second main pro-tip: "real-world magic" is nothing but wishful thinking, confirmation bias, and prayer as far as CofD is concerned. The Awakened grab the trappings of would-be-magicians whenever it suits them, but they know they're the lever, not the rock, so to speak.

Third pro-tip: Reality, and magic, has fuck-all to do with belief.
>>
>>44155448
Thanks Dave for the advice. I wanted to play an Order of Hermes or Etherite (yeah I know there's no technomages anymore really, but I love Doc Savage and Zepplins) styled Mage. Any recommendations for that?
>>
>>44150016
Holy FUCK, those guys need to learn how to speak English. Those accents are TERRIBLE.

If someone can stand that, please, make a list of things they said that are interesting. Because fuck, I can't stand that shit.
>>
>>44155448
Does that mean we'll never get a mortals book for Hedge Magic?
>>
>>44155230
There are. Those rules are collected in the (free) God Machines Rules Update, or the Chronicles of Darkness core book. The first one requires the new World of Darkness core book, and a LOT of cross-referencing. The latter is a real core book.
>>
>>44155525
You are literally complaining that people who can speak TWO LANGUAGES don't have an accent that you find pleasing.
>>
>>44155533
Considering that sleepwalkers and mortal occultists of various stripes are part of the mage orders now, then yes, we will most likely get that.
>>
>>44155634
Yes? I'm multilingual as well.
My complaints is that the people chosen to do this are too bad at English to get their point across properly.
Although that might honestly be me being biased against Swedish accents.
>>
>>44155625

I think if someone's on the fence about buying the CofD book, I'd say that while it isn't essential, it'll make life a lot easier if you want to run a Mortal game. If you're the type to buy WoD books to buy them, there's not a whole lot you're missing out on.
>>
>>44155859
And it's a lot better put together than the 1e core book, or the rules update.
>>
>>44155726
What are you some kind of Finn?
>>
>>44155990

While I miss a lot of the 1e fiction, I agree that it's a much better game book than last edition. I am delighted to learn that the Swimming Hole from one of the first nWoD stories is now an antagonist in the game, sort of. I don't think it's supposed to be THAT swimming hole, but it's close enough.
>>
>>44156198
Nah. Swede. Which is why I hate that accent.
It's even worse than the Danish one. Which, due to centuries of interaction, can at least be mistaken for rural English.
>>
I know someone asked about Amy V. Something happened to her?
>>
>>44156633
She got canned by Rich Thomas after a bunch of drama, the latest of which was criticizing the art in the Ex3 Kickstarter.

I mean, I fucking love Exalted too but that still seems shitty for Thomas to do.
>>
How many Dread Powers are in CoD Core?
>>44155448
>Awakening mages might share that opinion, but the important thing to realize is this: Awakening mages are *assholes*. Awakening is about obsession, and how much you (fail to) care about the collateral damage that obsession causes. The Awakened call themselves "The Wise" as a pretense, same way vampires call themselves "Kindred" to pretend that they don't hate one another's guts.
Do you write/interpret/run Mages as being inherently shifted towards hubris and general twattery by the Awakening the way Vampires are shifted towards being predators by the Embrace, or do you read/write/run/interpret it as simply being a product of human nature when given seemingly unlimited power?

>>44149367
Tremere are not exactly turbosocialites.
>>44149395
I could shell out 20 dollars and get better within 4 days. Seriously.
>>44148329
How big is your coterie? A friend wanted to run a 7 person strong one. It's proving hard to talk her off the ledge.
>>
>>44156667
Oh shit! That's kinda fucked! I remember she was the first writer to respond to a post on here from me. Hope she is doing ok.
>>
chronicles of darkness download where
>>
>>44156741
Well, she survived her suicide attempt (not even joking).
>>
>>44156768
WHAT?
>>
>>44156797
Check the archives. There is not much information. Which makes sense, it's not exactly the kind of thing that requires a huge explanation.
>>44156763
http://drivethrurpg.com/product/168428/Chronicles-of-Darkness?src=slider_view
>>
>>44156797
She's stable now, at least.
>>
>>44156633
She got fired because of the Beast leak, bad commentary on Exalted and something else. Then it was claimed she tried to commit suicide, or was thinking about it, but couldn't even do THAT right (she got sent back from the hospital, which only happens when the hospital deems someone won't actually try to hurt themselves), and then she's posted on here trying to garner sympathy.

Alll in all, a crazy fuckwit.
>>
>>44156852
>>44157017
Not finding it. But holy shit, if you are here AmyV. I hope you are ok. Jesus fucking Christ. I come back to the general after a month and find out all this shit is happening to someone who has made some books I really enjoyed. Feel better Amy.
>>
>>44157044
>which only happens when the hospital deems someone won't actually try to hurt themselves),

Or, you know, it's the USA, and the care isn't covered by their health insurance.
>>
>>44156723
>How big is your coterie? A friend wanted to run a 7 person strong one. It's proving hard to talk her off the ledge.

13 Kindred jerks strong
>>
>>44157168
Oh yeah, that's right, she claimed her insurance wouldn't pay for her ride to the hospital.

Also, https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/suicide-what-will-happen-to-you-when-you-ask-for-help/

If you're not deemed to be a severe enough threat to yourself, they'll send you home.
>>
>>44157071
https://desustorage.org/tg/search/username/AmyV/
>>44157219
I asked after the size of your party, not a demonstration of Malkavia. By the Exarchs, how?
>>
Shut the fuck up about the freelancer. Seriously. Get over it.
>>
>>44157219
INSANITY
>>
I really like the horror section.

Like, really like it.

Making your own horrible nasties has always been fun, but the problem to me was always 'did I just make a modified house cat or an unstoppable killing machine?' The potency ranks helped me out more then I thought they would.

Anyone want to write an example of the new clue/investigation system? It left me a bit confused.
>>
>>44157271
Three of the players almost never show, one of them shows about half the time, and many of the others are very accommodating people who rarely try to do anything demanding besides help their Coterie homies accomplish great feats of daring and such things as that.

The chewy, flavorful center of the 13 lick coterie consists of closer to seven movers and shakers.
>>
>>44157044
>They let me out on account of no available rooms in any hospitals in 500 miles. My insurance wouldn't cover a 500-mine ambulance or chopper ride, so I got to go home with someone watching me.
>>
>>44157369

You get to ride a chopper for free if you try to kill yourself like some wimp?

brb
>>
>>44157348
Well that might just work.
>>44157299
>Anyone want to write an example of the new clue/investigation system? It left me a bit confused.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=132#post453764507
This is a fairly decent summary.
>>
>>44157443
Only if your insurance is really good, apparently.
>>
>>44157219

You have no idea how I want that to be a Kindred for every clan. That would be the most satisfying coterie.
>>
>>44157635
Oh, I wanted the same thing, but we ended up with three Gangrel instead.

>>44157497
It works tolerably well. I rarely feel like I'm waiting too long to contemplate my actions, but I'm also the resident WIZARD, so I have a fair number of things to contemplate, I guess.
>>
So how long until MtAw 2e comes out?
>>
>>44157853
How long's a piece of string?
>>
>>44157867
Two times the distance from the middle to one end?
>>
>>44157926
There's your answer then.
>>
>>44157853
Quoth the Big D:
>Real Soon Now, but not yet.
>>
>>44157942
I have another answer too, up to 20 feet, then it becomes a rope.
>>
>>44156305
Their English is perfect so I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>44157678

Well I guess Gangrel are cool enough to have three of them. Any of them cheese out and do a City Gangrel build?
>>
>>44157952

So, March.
>>
>>44158302

More like July
>>
>>44158341

July 2027, yes.
>>
If CofD art is anything to go by then the new Mage art will be really boring too. Like that preview we saw where everything was fucking grey in a full colour book.
>>
>>44158423

A lot of the CofD art was recycled art, so maybe that's not the best thing to judge a new line's book by. The preview we got of Mage was pretty cool, Trabbold always does good work.
>>
>>44158077
Technically, perhaps. But their accents make them incomprehensible.
>>
>>44157497
Alright, lets see if I understand Investigations;

Jane the 'Beach going teen yup going to live to the end of the movie' is on the beach investigating the deaths of her friends who were all 'eaten by sharks'. She doesn't think they were eaten by sharks, being as she knows sharks don't live in these waters, the construction company trying to buy up beach front property really wants prices to go down, and she heard singing over the water when the boat her friends were on was 'attacked by sharks'.

Talking with the ST they decide the scope of the investigation is 5 clues. 5 clues to figure out what really happened to her friends.

Fist, she sneaks into the harbor to get a look at the boat. She rolls Dexterity + Stealth for the clue roll. Sneaking past the guards she is able to get a good look of the half eaten boat. Her clue that things are not what they seam is the clawed hand prints; something on the boat killed everyone, the hull wasn't damaged. Also suffer a breaking point for seeing the blood covered mangled boat.

Her second clue is at the mayors office, she uses Composure + Socialize to go unnoticed in the office, as the mayor mentions "she's coming back" and worries for more young people. The mayor sees her and realizes she was listening and panics, he yells at her to leave and to keep away from the investigation.

She stakes out the beach for clues where she finds two more clues. The first is men in black driving police boats filled with underwater explosives. She rolls Stealth + Dexterity to keep hidden, this time at a -1 penalty. She finds a cove they are trying to block with explosives. Inside the cove she uses Wits + Investigation to find murals on the wall(showing some kind of mermaid), as well as tattered swim suits.

With a photo of the mural she goes to the library and gets her final clue. The legend of the Red Queen, a demon of the sea who kills without mercy.

cont.
>>
So do Virtue and Vice regain the same amount of willpower now?
>>
>>44158423
>If the CofD art is anything to go by
From what Dave said, you should go by the art in Blood & Smoke/Vampire 2e, if you're going to go by any book.
>>
>>44158280
Nope, they're all the standard, Country sort. The active one that's been at every session so far is a pretty cool dude, so the other two can pretty much do whatever and absorb potential attacks by Surprise Wolves (a serious problem in our chronicle) and it's no big thing.
>>
>>44158705

Continued...

Armed with a harpoon, a rifle, and her last girl status she goes out onto her fathers boat to find the truth.

She encounters the mayor and his men. They promise to stop her, to save the town. Jane is confused, she has all the facts and she knows the Red Queen killed her friends. The mayor agrees. The Red Queen is back, she has returned to kill again. That is why they have to stop her. To end all this. Jane is confused. Why does she have to die to stop the Red Queen? The mayor tosses a photo at her feet. A photo of all her friends the night they died. Clair, Jason;the mayors nephew, Keith and... Jane. She is smiling, in her bright red swim suit, with her shark grin.

Now the reason the mayor seamed scared of her made a little more sense.

Jane suddenly realized those shreded swimsuits in the cave looked familiar.

She could hear singing. The men started screaming. The mayor was shooting at her but she didn't feel a thing. Her boat sank. The mayors boat sank. She didn't seam to mind.

>okay got a little carried away there at the end.

Still don't understand elements and what they are used fore though.
>>
>>44158705

you lost me on the second quotation. too annoying to read.
>>
>>44158943

Elements are used when the Clue itself can influence a situation. The Basic Element is a main part of the greater mystery, and any other elements provide flavor, context, and motive. When you're working off of a Clue, you pick one of its elements to give you a bonus to a roll related to it. This can range from a further investigation roll to straight up blackmailing someone with the Incriminating Letter or something similar.
>>
>reading Crafts description
>he is a da Vinci
>calling Leonardo da Vinci instead of just Leonardo

When will this stop? This was never OK until that stupid book came out and now people who write professionally are doing it too.
>>
>>44159193

That's what a Priory of Sion spy WOULD say!
>>
>>44153091
I could see them turning out to be fan favourites and taking over the show after the first season.

In fact I think a soap about families of ghouls and wolf-bloods trying to manage and survive their monstrous masters would be the best possible way into the world of darkness.
>>
>>44159284

I always thought that the part in Bloodlines where you sneak into the Giovanni clan meeting where they decide who gets Embraced would make a good drama.
>>
>>44157299
Is it done by exp amount. Or some other way to guadge the threat level.
>>
>>44159284

sounds boring as shit and has no mass appeal needed to bring the IP out of the dumpster.

>>44159324

that could easily be done as a subplot rather than an entire series. if you wanted to do it, the best way would just do Kindred: The Embraced again.
>>
>>44159567

You pick a Potency level between 1 and 10, which determines trait limits, how many dots you get to build with them, and how many Dread Powers they use.
>>
So it seems I should wait until 2e Core is out and Vamp and Woof get the CoD brand before I start collecting. That way my autism won't flare up.
>>
>>44159988
2e Core is out, as Chronicles of Darkness
Vamp and Woof don't have the CofD branding yet, though, I don't think
>>
>>44148215
Is this the Call of Duty thread?
>>
Did anyone ever post the NWoD 2e Core yet?
>>
>>44160051

Yes. I play a Rocket Shootmans that specializes in Spetnaz. I also have Musket 3, since it came free with my clan.
>>
>>44160051
Nope, the CofD thread.
>>
>>44160034
In print.

I need them to all look the same on the shelf.
>>
>>44160743
Know what you mean man, was really obsessed about that kind of stuff until a couple of years back.
>>
So, I don't actually have a physical copy of core, nor do I own GMC, but I do have Prestige edition DtD. When PoD CofD comes out, this would be a decent purchase for someone in my position, yes?
>>
>>44158758
That's...actually a good question. Seems something changed.
>If the Storyteller judges that your character’s actions during a scene reflect his Vice, he regains one spent Willpower point. Note that acting on a Virtue or Vice does not need to pose difficulty or risk to your character. If the Storyteller judges that your character’s actions during a scene reflected her Virtue while posing her difficulty or risk, she regains all spent Willpower. She may regain Willpower up to twice per game session in this way.
>>
>>44160193
>>
>>44162292
I think that's an error. I bet money they considered making it like Masks & Dirges but decided not to.
>>
So how fucked are 2e Prommie and Changeling?
>>
>>44162292
That's what it said in GMC too. Virtue refreshes all willpower, but requires you to put yourself at risk. Vice refreshes one willpower, but just needs to come up regardless of situation.

Virtues being able to refresh willpower twice per session is new, though.
>>
>>44163412
>>44162616
>>44162292
In GMC at least there was a sidebar about how they want Willpower to come more often, and for people to spend it more often.
>>
>>44162720
They're not?
>>
>>44164069
Changeling got the Beast writer on it senpai, thats a god damn warning side to me. Espically since seemings are all wonky now.
>>
>>44164158
>Changeling got the Beast writer on it senpai

the Beast writer is Matt McFarland, and he's developer of Promethean, not Changeling. Everything about Promethean has been good.

You mean David A. Hill, who only wrote an essay in the storytelling section that massive faggots on websites like this take as a personal attack against all fedoralords

which ironically proves the point of the essay, which is "you know how some people are huge faggots on the internet who will not budge on their opinions no matter what? That's a good model for what Heroes are like, except they don't just do it on the internet, they do it in real life about the Beast."
>>
>>44164516
Yeah, I'm not Hill's biggest fan, but the whole thing is kind of ironic. "People take things seriously and consider it an attack"
>People in the real world take it seriously
>See it as an attack
>>
>>44164516
Shit really? Well then I have been miss-informed and I apologize.
>>
Oh, what's this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Abn1a6PgUCa19KbjdNcmNMWms/view?pli=1
>>
>>44165487
You are the hero this board needs.
>>
>>44148215

I'm not calling this shit Chronicles of Darkness. Fuck that.
>>
>>44165487
i love you anon
>>
>>44165536
But not the one it deserves?
>>
>>44164516

The irony of Hill's essay is that he is exactly the sort of person who he says would be a Hero.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.