[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Counterfeits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: MtG Rosette Test Black Ink.png (590 KB, 700x562) Image search: [Google]
MtG Rosette Test Black Ink.png
590 KB, 700x562
Real question, why doesn't WotC just release or sell individual reprints of every card with specific "non-legal" borders? It would solve the problem for anyone wanting to play kitchen top and don't mind the border, but would also be easily identifiable to players in a tournament as to protect their investment. I don't think the kitchen top market is looking to ever spend any money on getting older/more expensive cards in the first place because of this and if WotC would just sell them they'd make more money. But would this kill the goose that lays the golden egg?

On another note, are there any sort of forums or guides online towards making legit looking counterfeits? Google results tend to be pretty white-knight about it.
>>
>>44147670
One problem I see with that is that demand would far exceed supply on WoTC's end and prices would go up. Like Goyf.
>>
>>44148370
>increasing the supply would increase demand

Are you legit stupid
>>
>>44147670
They did that before with a full set of gold bordered cards: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Collectors'_Edition

Guessing it wouldn't sell well because you can't us the cards in real tournaments. And the kitchen table market already have what they need in regular sets and the commander products.
>>
>>44148475
Goyf being reprinted in MM increased demand because people would pull 1 then need another 3 to actually play with it.
>>
>>44147670
Why not play a game that isn't pay to win?
>>
>>44148475
Should have been clearer. With the costs of new art, printing, etc. The new supply is only going to be so much which, I expect, would not be enough to meet the existing demand.

Plus you have to consider how they release said product. I don't think "Kitchen Table Masters" would be a popular selling point when most players want these reprints to be tournament legal.
>>
I also dont think it well be a good product for them as most people who buy the chinese cards wanna play with them at their LGS or whatever.

Anyway. is stoneman still the best?
>>
>>44148627
do you seriously thing Magic and Age of Sigmar are pay to win? they arnt they are pay to play wide pay1 sum to play narrow.
>>
>>44148483
Goyf being reprinted increased demand because then people needed Goyfs to deal with all the new Goyfs they were playing against.
>>
>>44149051
>Magic isn't pay to win

I agree, Magic is Pay to play

>Need to spend $300 to get into Standard
>Need to spend $700 to get into Modern
>Need to spend $2000 to get into Legacy
>Need to sell a house to get into Vintage
>>
>>44149964
>Need to spend $50 to get into Casual
>>
>>44149964
>tfw I've spent over twice what you need to spend to get into Legacy
>tfw I'm 100% kitchen table casual and haven't been to a single FNM in the twelve years I've been playing
Christ.
>>
>>44149964
get a job
>>
>>44149964
>Need to sell a house to get into Vintage
Dredge exists. And unlike in Legacy, it's an actual threat in Vintage.
>>
>>44150595
>Dredge is not a threat in legacy
t. someone who has never played legacy in his life
>>
I've always wanted to get packs of good looking counterfeits, I wouldn't mind if they were bordered differently. Imagine spending $5 on a pack of what you know are 'fakes' and getting 16 cards that are each well over $20-$50 or even over $100~

Still getting random cards but not being a faggot enough to buy singles let alone singles and counterfeits.
>>
>>44153333
>I wouldn't mind if they were bordered differently
WotC used to make them themselves.

Championship series decks. They had a gold-boarder and aren't legal for sanctioned play. I think they had a different backing, too

They were a commercial flop, solely because they weren't legal. No one wanted to pay money on cards you couldn't play. But the prices back then were a lot more reasonable. These days, I think it could sell.
>>
>>44149051
>do you seriously thing Magic is pay to win?
Do you seriously think otherwise? Even in 2015? This isn't news, kid.
>>
>>44154626
But what if they sold them individually on their site at a fixed price to compensate for the materials and service? Maybe not let you check out unless your cart is over say $20~

I think the reason they failed before was because it's not necessarily the cards that the consumer is looking for.
>>
>>44149964
Play pauper. $20 and you're set.
>>
>>44154768
The best Pauper deck is worth way more than that.

But that's with MTGO prices being more expensive for some pauper cards. No idea for paper.

I know Pauper Delver was pretty damn expensive if you wanted Daze, Gush, and all the other goodies.
>>
>>44149051
Nigga if I got two top 10 pros to play together and forced one to use a starter deck from target and the other to use his tourney deck who do you think is going to win?
>>
>>44154829
I built my Pauper Delver for 40€
Not that expensive bru
>>
>>44155580
must not be that viable breh
>>
File: 10_tips_to_prevent_shoplifting.jpg (132 KB, 960x487) Image search: [Google]
10_tips_to_prevent_shoplifting.jpg
132 KB, 960x487
So does anyone have any real info on creating counterfeits and not just your typical proxies? I'm trying to find information on ink types, paper types, printers and scanners etc, but google really doesn't turn up shit on this.

It could be pretty fun to make good looking counterfeits and sell them as a small side job. Real question is how long would it take for WotC to catch on and do something about it? What could/would they even do?
>>
>>44156260
Fuck off MaRo
>>
Got a some Liliana's / thoughtseize / confidants / etc off Alixpress.
Pretty good cards, some better than others. Double sleeved you can get away with it but everyone in my playgroup knows I'm broke as fuck so it would be suspicious to suddenly play them.

May extend alter them and put them on ebay as proxy.
>>
>>44148476

gold bordered cards also had shitty backs that forced you to use a non-see through sleeves.
>>
>>44149964
>>Need to spend $300 to get into Standard

my sweet summer child...
>>
>>44148475
that is what neoclassical economics teaches

isn't it sad?
>>
>>44157270
Could we get some pictures? Many of us are curious/are about to take the plunge
>>
>>44147670
>Real question, why doesn't WotC just release or sell individual reprints of every card with specific "non-legal" borders?

People would play them anyway. You are allowed to paint over the border, even in tournament play.
>>
>>44149964
>$300 to get into standard
Depends on the standard, but you're paying every few months. For other formats, you pay once and likely never have to buy more cards.

>sell a house for Vintage
Nigga how much do you think a house costs? Even if your power 9 playset needed to be alpha for some reason, that's one cheap-ass house.
>>
>>44156627
Has MaRo ever posted on /tg/?
>>
I just got some cards from stone man. The cards they made last year were better than the ones I just received
>>
The backs of the stoneman proxy became obviously fake
>>
File: 2015-12-14 11.18.11.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-14 11.18.11.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>44160921
White core sample card off aliexpress.
Shitty colours, blurry, feels fake, too thin, doesn't pass light test.
>>
File: 2015-12-14 11.19.09.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-14 11.19.09.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>44160921
These are a lot better than the aliexpress ones.
However still clearly fake on closer inspection.

The inquisition colours are off, even the black border is reddish. The set icon is great though.

Lili's icon is obvious compared to a real card. Just not sharp enough. The rest on her looks good though, the text is nice.

On all the fake cards the back is a telltale sign. The border lines are just not sharp and the wrong colour. See top row, left = real, right = fake. The colours on the cards besides Inquisition are a lot better. But still blurry lines.

My source got a new generation of fakes out 2 days after my order.... So they might be better.
swzheng99 - gmail, 3/card, 5 shipping
>>
>>44160921
And his YT
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt6A4Vz1MTas512N9SG1LsQ
>>
File: 1370673522745.png (495 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
1370673522745.png
495 KB, 800x602
>>44159366
>lamenting the state of education
>still couldn't be arsed to use the shift key
>>
>>44167380
>>44167538
His stuff definitely looks better than the stuff I ordered before
>>
>>44167380
How long did the shipping take?
>>
>>44167777
2 weeks
>>
Can you order on-demand proxies? I have a couple cards that I want and don't want a whole mess of stuff I'll never use
>>
>>44147670
WotC should release a good stuff B/Gx deck for their next Modern Event deck and include Goyf, Liliana, Inquisition, Abrupt Decay, etc.
>>
>>44168672
You can mix & match from a list, check the youtube, you can see the cards you can pick from/
>>
>>44147670
Pokemon TCG sells champions (usually the top 4 players iirc) decks for a really low price, with the only change being the back of the cards. It is a very good way to know how it feels to play the deck against other champion level decks. The champions even get to name the decks.

There is a lot of stuff that wizards can learn from pokemon tcg, for example the foils, and the different blister packs and boxes they sell with multiple kinds of accessories.
>>
>>44169328
Check out the WCD
decks, they use to do exactly this. They are gold bordered and have a different back.
>>
>>44169489
A friend of mine literally had one of those, and I even have one of those blank cards, I don't know why I didn't remember that those existed.

Why did they stop though?
>>
>>44169535
In favour of the more successful Fatpacks.
>>
>>44169328
I think the only thing that remembers those pokemon boxes was the Commander's Arsenal. And it was really cool, too bad there were so many good cards that the price skyrocketed way above the msrp.
>>
The Man released a new list of sets he sells. Is the quality of the proxies improved or is it just more configurations of the same proxies?
>>
>>44171948
I just got some cards from stone man. His cards became worse somehow. Before the backs of the cards were pretty good now they obviously fake
>>
>>44147670
Play Pauper... It is eternal, constructed and dirt cheap. No need to buy counterfeits.
>>
>>44173555
>limit yourself to the amount of mechanics a game has because you can't afford the rest of them
How about I just buy some cardboard that lets me do it all for less than the normal price?
>>
>>44173555
>No need to buy counterfeits.

You didn't prove that assertion, you just stated it.

This is a new low for the anti-counterfeit people.
>>
>>44148475
That's kind of how it works yeah. Scarcity keeps prices high but on non essential purchases keeps demand suppressed to a degree. Demand isn't a constant and you must have looked at something yourself and gone 'fuck paying that, I'll live without it'.
>>
>>44149964
>Need to spend $300 to get into Standard
Ha ha ha oh wow, try more like $700 on a swift rotation

>Need to spend $700 to get into Modern
Pretty much, steer clear of Goyf or Tarn and you'll find it's surprisingly cheap. Affinity for instance is surprisingly cheap for a tier 1 deck in a sanctioned format

>Need to spend $2000 to get into Legacy
This really, really depends on the deck. Merfolk is a pretty viable budget deck

>vintage
No idea I'm afraid

It's a funny old world but over 3 years I reckon Standard is easily the more expensive format.
>>
>>44175293
You're still looking at $4-500 just for Forces and Wastelands, but you'll need those for a lot of decks anyway.
>>
>>44176338
Yeah true, but the rest of the Fish shell is cheap. You can pick up all the merfolk themselves for next to nothing and all in on the deck you could probably do it for $750-$800 if you were careful. This also has the bonus of most of the shell being an adequate Modern deck.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.