[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would a trading card game WITHOUT shuffling work? like, you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: shuffleno.png (153 KB, 399x225) Image search: [Google]
shuffleno.png
153 KB, 399x225
would a trading card game WITHOUT shuffling work?

like, you not only build your deck, but you also decide the order of cards that you will draw over the whole game from start to beginning.
>>
Play Dominion, and you will see exactly how it works.
>>
It'd need a huge amount of counterplay and response.

Like, I'd almost see it being better for each player to just lay out their cards on the table rather than bothering with a deck to a predetermined amount.

So each player can set down any three cards, for example, and then take turns revealing them and resolving their effects. So player one might play an attack, but then player two set a counter to that attack for his card, so on and so forth.

Problem with the system is that it's massively about guessing your opponents actions which means you need defined actions and order to make it work(otherwise you're basically laying down cards blind), and the deck options need to be limited in order for the system to work.

And even then, I think you're losing complexity with this idea, because you can only have so many play/counter play style workings without it getting so complicated that it's no longer possible to read your opponent.
>>
>>44146401

>Dominion
>no shuffling

Are you fucking kidding me nigger

every time your deck runs out you re-shuffle your discard pile
>>
File: 1409940640907.jpg (604 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1409940640907.jpg
604 KB, 1920x1200
>>44146412
it COULD work if you not only have one Deck, but your deck is actually split into 3 pile of cards you can pull from that you can all sort however you want.

one variant to sort these 3 piles would be to split them into card types. like, MTG for example, you could sort these 3 piles of cards into: Lands, Creatures and Sorceries. But you don't have to, you could also mix lands with creatures and sorceries and still split them into the 3 piles and we still apply OPs rule of no shuffling and deciding the order.

that way the players could still have variation during the game despite already heaving decided for the line up.

oh, and i would turn the decks face-up.
>>
Zatch Bell game had spellbooks you set up and damage was measured in pages you had to turn.
>>
>>44146324
Alteil. It's online-only. You start with the entire deck in your hand. Fav cardgame.
>>
Mabinogi Duels is exactly this.

Fucking radical.

Android/iOs
>>
>>44146498
I came here to post this.
>>
What is Mage Wars
>>
>>44146490
neat.
>>
>>44146810
Definitely not a trading card game
>>
Not in the traditional style of battlan' sideways turners like MTG, the lack of variance would get old quickly. But if it were its own game beyond the deck setting gimmick and the entire system revolved around the idea then possibly.
>>
>>44147556
>inb4 implying variance in mtg
>>
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn lets you choose your opening hand.
>>
Why not have 2 decks?
One normal shuffled deck and one smaller unshuffled deck similiar to the fusion deck in YGO but you can put spells in it that are usable whenever you want.
>>
Milling strategies would be very strong. How strong depends on how much players tune the order of their decks.
>>
>>44147673
Like WIXOSS?
The number of spells in the unshuffled deck is small though
>>
It could work, it doesn't have to have the "draw one card per turn" mechanic either.

For example, it could be a game that's played in 10 rounds with a 30 card deck. Each round, you put any three cards from your deck into the field. Then your 3 cards and the opponent's 3 cards fight, the fight gets resolved through some mechanic and there is a winner. Some cards have effects that synergize with each other, other cards affect the following rounds, allowing some tactics through choosing what cards to play.

Although a deck building game with no random element might get too stale with each game being 99% the same.
>>
Decks would need to be prohibitively small (say 10--15) cards to ensure that gameplay could be resolved in any sort of timely manner. In most game if you were allowed to stack your deck you'd probably cut it down to that many cards anyway since you're pretty much just crafting your 1 turn win combo.

I imagine something like this would be like phenomenal masturbation for the kind of player that spends more time rolling up new characters than actually playing.
>>
>>44146324
Mage Wars is that game.
>>
>>44146324
Zatch-Bel is exactly this.

It's shit, but not really for that reason. It's shit because it's Zatch-Bel.
>>
File: zatch-bell-tcg-book.jpg (6 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
zatch-bell-tcg-book.jpg
6 KB, 240x180
>>44149118
Pic related. I also mispelled "Zatch Bell" apparently.
>>
>>44146498
That sounds pretty dope actually
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.