[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats a good scifi rpg kinda like the EVE universe. I also really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
Whats a good scifi rpg kinda like the EVE universe. I also really wanted to try Battletech but the book requires that you also play the table top if you want to include mechs which I guess isn't a problem but if you put a mech on the cover the cocktease that gives a player is off putting
>>
>>44146177
table top war game to clarify
>>
File: Fate ME sheet 1.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Fate ME sheet 1.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>44146177
Yes, Battletech is for playing the time between missions. It's really just for that universe.

Use Fate. It's easy and quick, and produces fantastic stories. Buy a scifi setting if you want, there's a bunch.
>>
>>44146177
Mass Effect is actually a really good scifi universe, if you don't mind aliums. Lots of background material, lots of unexplored space to make your own material in.
>>
Traveller is the universal standard for sci-fi RPGs.
>>
>>44146177
Savage Worlds has some good sci fi settings.

I just recently picked up the Savage Worlds version of Nova Praxis, a transhuman scifi setting which was originally released as a FATE game and includes SW of both the core material and the Machinations companion book.

There's also the Savage Worlds Sci Fi Companion, obviously. Nemezis is another setting, which is basically StarCraft meets Lovecraft. And I believe there's a "Daring Tales of" series set in space.
>>
>>44147409
>>44147278
>Fate
>Traveller
Diaspora
>>
>>44148107
I was leaning toward Diaspora but it seemed kinda sparse on the gear
>>44147334
there's a table top?

is there anything in d100 I'm not keen on warhammer but Rouge trader seems to have the rule set I'm looking for
>>
>>44149528
>is there anything in d100

Eclipse Phase?
>>
File: title.png (2 MB, 1214x745) Image search: [Google]
title.png
2 MB, 1214x745
>>44147937
How does Nova Praxis compare to Eclipse Phase. does it actually have rules for space combat. does it do that functional immortality thing. Those were the two deal breakers for me in EP
>>
>>44149528
Rogue Trader's ruleset really only works if your spaceships are 17th and 18th-century galleon and frigate analogs (since the core of the logic is ported over from Battlefleet gothic). I mean, most tabletop systems don't do space combat well, but if your setting is naval ships in space then Rogue Trader works, and if not, then it really doesn't work that well.
>>
>>44146177

FATE_
Eclipse Phase
Traveller
____GURPS____
>>
>>44153158

I'll see your GURPS and Traveller, and raise you GURPS Traveller.
>>
>>44152933
Basically Eclipse Phase is "Transhumanist scifi approaching post-human scifi". Nova Praxis is more "Cyberpunk sci-fi, approaching transhumanist scifi".

It uses Savage Worlds' vehicle combat rules, so you can either us the tabletop combat for ships (changing the tabletop scale to match with w/e models you're using), or the 'dogfighting' variant of the chase rules from Savage Worlds Deluxe.

'Functional' immortality is present, but there's issues with it in setting:

For one, "purists" still make up the majority of humanity. Think Deus Ex Human Revolution's social issues with far more advanced tech.

Another issue is that bodies and 'resurrection chambers' tend to be one of many things tightly controlled by the setting's Coalition government, a vaguely Republican Roman-esque confederation of Megacorporate political Houses (like I said, Cyberpunk, approaching Transhumanism). Outside of the Coalition, the old governments' Remnants and the Apostates (noncitizens of the Coalition) tend to be more constrained in their access to resleeving, mind-backup, and compiler (nano-factory) technology, and have a more 'traditional' form of economy as a result.

A further issue is mental strain: resleeving and such tends to have a much more detrimental effect on character's psyche. While this is temporary, and can be 'healed', it's something that builds up quickly if characters die constantly, or resleeve repeatedly and without professional aid.
>>
>>44152933

Also, adding to what I said in >>44157878
You can easily ignore or minimize the practical immortality aspects by simply not playing a game that centers on Coalition characters. The likelihood of recovering a mnemonic core after a (near) TPK without the resources and connections of the Houses is highly unlikely, backup technology is prohibitively expensive just to maintain, and even more so to acquire, etc. And it's Savage Worlds; you shouldn't be dying unless you're party (through circumstance, or party idiocy) get's in way over their heads. If anything, the functional immortality is as likely to be used against the players (their psyche stolen or recovered after a mission, and put into a sleeve with a brain bomb in it to be used as a disposable agent) as it is to be used benevolently as a scifi version of DnD's True Resurrection or Reincarnation.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.