[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's imagine there is a urban setting with electricity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: 0009x303.jpg (106 KB, 425x580) Image search: [Google]
0009x303.jpg
106 KB, 425x580
Let's imagine there is a urban setting with electricity and primitive telephone lines but also sword and magic, in wich there are three "races"

First are humans.

And the second one are Silent Hill monsters, but more cleaned up, civil and mostly human shaped.

What would you include as a third "race " of that setting?
>>
>>44141464
Wha..what?
Silent hill flesh nightmares as a race? What?
>>
A bunch of sentient statues. Not golems no, they can't move of their own accord, but they can speak and tend to inherently possess useful wisdom so they're kept around.
>>
You want a nice balanced symbolism? Make Overly logical machines. You've got crazy ass magical flesh things, slightly crazy people, who also use tech/magic, and logical tech things.
>>
File: vincentvanohnoh.gif (423 KB, 226x120) Image search: [Google]
vincentvanohnoh.gif
423 KB, 226x120
>>
>>44141495
I use the word "race " loosely as they are obviously not naturally developed species or anything. But yeah, they have full sentience and personalities >>44141521
Interesting concept, actually. Although I've been thinking about something more playable.
But the statue thing is cool, especially if you imagine some grotesquely gothic city like Yarhnam from Bloodborn with hundreds of statues on every corner. All of them whispering and watching you.
>>
The silent hill monsters would obviously be the servant race since nobody would want to hire a flesh abomination for a high ranking position. I would think that some sort of cyborg race would work best as a social elite.
>>
>>44141551
>>44141717

Maybe they look like moving Apollonian statues instead of mechanical beings. A different presentation of the "perfect reason" concept than machinery and wire.
>>
>>44141551
Oh that could actually work, pretty good. The idea SH looking guys actually is that they are born from dreams and nightmares of people, representing their inner desires and fears. Having a bunch of androids ether trying to understand those things or resenting them as rudimentary would be pretty fun
>>
>>44141762
If you want to go really deep into the "perfect reason" make them incorporate strict geometric shapes, or fractals.
>>
>>44141810
>>44141768

These are both pretty good, but I stand by my suggestion of making them look like Greco-Roman statues.

The SH monsters are creepy, but humanistic. Likewise, their opposites could embody perfection in the human sense (perfect bodies, rational and sane, civil and with an inherent appreciation for community and society).
>>
>>44141762
>tfw no emotionless statue gf
Pygmalion feels, bro.
>>
>>44141762
That's pretty good, I imagined the city is mostly populated by artsy types - trying to create their own live while making them in a pretty shape is totally something that they would be doing.
>>44141810
Well, that's a bit to literal

Also, DAMN /tg/, you good at this shit
>>
Modrons to the left of me,
nurses to my right, here I am
stuck in the middle with you
>>
File: you.jpg (228 KB, 1024x921) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
228 KB, 1024x921
>>44141929
>perfect reason == emotionless
>>
>>44141995
They'd appear emotionless from the perspective of any outside observer who wasn't also perfectly rational.
>>
>>44141953
>tfw no cute body horror gf
>tfw no sexy cyber-statue waifu
>>
File: me.jpg (167 KB, 622x568) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
167 KB, 622x568
>>44142024
touche
>>
>>44141464
>urban setting
>silent hill monsters as a race
How exactly will normal people coexist with unspeakable murder monsters?
>>
>>44142092
You can start by speaking about them.
>>
>>44142092
OP clearly states that they wouldn't be murder monsters. They are deformed flesh things, but they are of sound(ish) mind.

Think 3 armed mutants and such. Or Jabba the hutt.
>>
>>44142092
>he a good abomination, he dindu nuffin! the day he was killed he was out spreading the word of pyramid head!
Tentacle-horror lives matter!
>>
File: OsPi4zOB.png (292 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
OsPi4zOB.png
292 KB, 512x512
>>44142024
I actually really like an idea of an AI character where you are not sure whether they have some equallent of feelings or all that they do is a pure calculation
>>
>>44142092
Well, maybe the humans could view the monsters the way most white suburbanites view inner city homeless, junkies, and impoverished people. They recognize that the monsters are part of the same society, but deep down they're frightened and disgusted by them.

The Apollonians are viewed like middle-class types view public leaders, successful intellectuals, and business tycoons. Sure, they're very respectable, and are important pillars of the community, but they just don't get it. They don't know what it's like to be a normal joe.

The thing is, for each human born, there is one monster and one Apollonian created. The humans don't realize this, and are in fact incapable of recognizing this fact.
>>
>>44142092
I assume the "more civil" descriptor means less bloody murder on average. At least not much more than humans do.
>>
>>44142198
Funny enough that's kinda close to what I've been going for with the people of the city.
They all pretty much in some respect are freedom lovers from all over the world, ranging from just normal people with big ideas and ambitions to just folks who want to be left alone, from artist,inventors and philosophers to down right freaks and deviants.
No body really questions bizarre creatures since a big portion of population is plenty bizarre on their own
>>
File: Modrons.jpg (135 KB, 785x1009) Image search: [Google]
Modrons.jpg
135 KB, 785x1009
Modrons. Modrons make everything better.
>>
I actually like this outlook on the idea >>>>44142349
The xenophobia aspect of the situation is pretty much unavoidable since the Monsters and Statues are so inhuman at their appearance even though, ironically they are born straight out of minds and hearts of those humans
>>
>>44142427
Meant to refer to this post>>44142215
>>
>>44142427
>>44142438

We are as blind to our true virtues as we are to our true flaws, anon.

What would happen if someone runs into "their" monster or statue?
>>
>>44142478
Not sure if Statues should be of the same paranormal origin as Monsters, makes it a bit too literal and obvious.
But Monsters - I don't know, what exactly feels a man who is faced with his deep desires and fears blended into a single breathing, thinking creature?
Terror and arousal?
Terrousal?
>>
>>44142568
Maybe the statues are cast by human or monster artists who are suddenly struck with "inspiration", which coincides with the birth of a human?

Maybe the statues or cyborgs or whatever construct more of themselves independently of humans, but the timing and metaphysics line up as described due to synchronicity? Maybe none of the three races are aware of their relationship to each other?

If a person suddenly meets the embodiment of all that is base and suppressed about them, they probably shouldn't recognize it right off the bat. After repeated interactions, a human might realize the truth and somehow become more enlightened. Maybe there are other requirements that need to be met for it to click.

The same should go for a human meeting their statue, but with different ultimate results and requirements.

If a statue and monster who are born from the same human meet each other, it ends up either in extreme enmity or extreme empathy. There seems to be hints of a pattern to which of the two occurs, but no one's been able to suss it out and it may as well be random.
>>
File: TY GIBSON.png (411 KB, 1448x905) Image search: [Google]
TY GIBSON.png
411 KB, 1448x905
you setting is SHIT
>>
File: Inevitables.jpg (137 KB, 400x465) Image search: [Google]
Inevitables.jpg
137 KB, 400x465
>>44141889
>>
>>44144228
probably
>>
File: tumblr_m33ojfZVLs1qatcfzo1_500.gif (998 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m33ojfZVLs1qatcfzo1_500.gif
998 KB, 500x245
>>44141563
>master troll of SH world
>>
>>44141563
>>44148716

Vincent did nothing wrong
REMOVE CLAUDIA
>>
>>44141464
What if the third race was a spirit race- like the creatures found through the tunnel in spirited away- that way you've got such a selection of freaks, sights and wonders that people will probably care much less about appearances in your society.
>>
>>44141464
AYY LMAO zerg/elite style, they fucked up an invasion a long time ago and lived under the earth
>>
>>44148858
>>44149114
There are plenty of spirits and ayy lmaos in the homebrew but I'm looking for playable race that could be a part of the party
>>
>>44141464
Sounds kind of retarded to be honest. Like some kind of shitty Dada film turned into an RPG
>>
>>44149158
>implying ayys and goshs can't be party members
>>
>>44142844

I can't be bothered to go find the name of the book series but wasn't there something where people had animals that were essentially extensions of themselves? If the animal was hurt or killed it was reflected in the human and vice versa?

Maybe you can take this concept into this as well. The statues or monsters or whatever are the extensions of the humans living in the city.

And it's at this point I remember it's called the Golden Compass.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.