[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite NPC that your DM has come up with?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12
What is your favorite NPC that your DM has come up with?
>>
>>44139932
Is there any answer better than salty ship captain or ghost waifu?
>>
A young woman who ran a self-employed business where we paid her to double-check and clean out a dungeon or location after we had cleared it. She was very experienced in dungeoneering, traps, appraisal and survival so she could pretty successfully and safely clean a dungeon for valuables or things we missed. She took her payment as a cut of the wealth and valuables we would have missed without her. She also had some skills in healing and using magic devices if we needed it.

She was generally fun to play and interact with, and was decent waifu material with a happy go lucky and scrappy personality, and being described as massively over encumbered with a huge backpack brimming with valuable monster guts and parts, herbs and plants, and tools and materials for dungeoneering. She was utterly useless in fights and stuff that her skills didn't apply to, but otherwise was a neat little aspect of the game.
>>
My favorite NPC was a ship navigator who was a retired adventurer, and way higher level than any of the PCs.

Mostly he just wanted to be lazy and reflective in his winter years, and the PCs accommodated that by paying him a lot of money to be the de facto captain, protect their ship (and their loot) from plot events, and train them in swordsmanship.
>>
>>44140000
Ancient wizard pretending to be a retarded old man pretending to be an ancient wizard.

We met him, thought he was a wizard at first based on his behaviour/appearance/items, and then on closer examination saw that they were all physical tricks (smoke bombs, sparklers, painting people in camouflage patterns and forcing them to act as Unseen Servants, etc)

Once we finally confronted him as being a sham/scam artist (he would sell magical items that weren't magical at all, and "identify" magic items (always wrong), take credit for normal things like the weather, etc), he panicked and actually cast Fly and flew away, blasting out high level spells and screeching for NO REASON.
>>
File: Wizards.png (643 KB, 798x678) Image search: [Google]
Wizards.png
643 KB, 798x678
>>44140248
Fucking Wizards, man.
>>
File: ha ha time for rumia.jpg (103 KB, 780x600) Image search: [Google]
ha ha time for rumia.jpg
103 KB, 780x600
>>44140248
>painting people in camouflage patterns and forcing them to act as Unseen Servants

This? I'm taking this. This is mine now.
>>
>>44140248
I am dying from the mental image of the screeching, flying wizard
So he was pretending to be retarded all along? I'm a little lost.
>>
In every other world of darkness game, old or new, theres a vampire who's fashion sense is permanently stuck in the summer of love and who's lair is a flower power bus with tinted windows. He deals in drugs that could knock a werewolf on its ass, amongst other interesting chemical wares. He also refers to himself in the third person and is pretty much charlie manson levels of batshit insane.
>>
>>44140000
My GM had a particularly enjoyable captain, his primary motivation for assisting us, was that the BBEG's plan was disrupting trade, and making it harder and harder to get a good drink
>>
File: 20060726.jpg (83 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
20060726.jpg
83 KB, 500x551
>>44140000
>ghost waifu
reminded me of this lol
>>
>>44141512
Yes, just like an anon who posts a retarded post, he was only pretending!
>>
>>44140248
I just imagine the wizard being confronted and then saying "Fucking normiiiiiiiiiiies. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" as he flies off into the night
>>
>>44144162
Kill yourself
>>
>>44139932
If I'm my DM can I talk about the favorite NPC I came up with?

I'm working on a horror-ish thing where an autistic infantile doppleganger hive mind loiters around town after dark. It is incapable of understanding human logic, and just mimics people (poorly) in an attempt to fit in. It responds quickly to unknown variables with confusion, frustration, and anger. The first encounters are isolated and unsettling at best but not threatening. It's only when they show up in groups of 3 or more that it becomes clear how dangerous a feedback loop of their unchecked emotional tantrums can get. In groups they can accidentally get preoccupied trying to mimic eachother instead of real people, and one bad reaction can throw the whole group into rage or panic. Thankfully it seems rare to find so many in one place at the same time.

Then the party notices the movie theater is always open late at night, which would have seemed normal before they discovered the dopplegangers and subsequently realized that the entire town more or less knows that the monsters are real --local superstition and old lore make clear reference to the monsters, it's just not clear how much is accepted as fact and how much is just tradition with a function. When they wander into the theatre it's full of them. The theatre owner is an old man who has outlived the rest of his family. They are fascinated by movies and mimicing the people in them. He's been letting the dopplegangers in at night, luring them with movies, unwittingly teaching them to mimic fiction instead of real people. He's just glad to have company. When the old man in confronted with his despair the monsters all turn on him, empathizing with his selfdestructive urges and acting on them. The projector is left unattended and the theatre burns down with the old man and his monstrous brood inside.
>>
One of the NPCs was my character's mom, so that was nice
>>
File: paging Dr. Love.jpg (13 KB, 220x324) Image search: [Google]
paging Dr. Love.jpg
13 KB, 220x324
>>44144900
I see. Please, continue.
And did you also have a romantic interest in this campaign?
>>
>>44144933
Nope. Not a single one. I just got to spend time with my in game mom and tell her to stop smoking
>>
>>44144954
did she
>>
>>44144964
She did yeah

So it was a p successful campaign in my book
>>
File: popeyes.gif (520 KB, 320x154) Image search: [Google]
popeyes.gif
520 KB, 320x154
In a campaign last year, one of the big baddies was a general of hell who led a coup against the devil and killed him.

Our quest led to rescuing a prince of hell who was imprisoned by the general for his help.

His name was Little Nicky.
>>
>>44144900
Same, have a Mom NPC, though it strayed into special snowflake territory. To be fair though it was encouraged.
>>
File: psychoANALysis.png (137 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
psychoANALysis.png
137 KB, 640x480
>>44145164
>though it strayed into special snowflake territory
Could you elaborate on this?
>>
>>44144954
>>44144986
Anon, is there something you wanna talk about? Any family issues you be currently having?
>>
>>44145164
Well, I think if it's a mom the special snowflake stuff can be ignored. Cuz everyone loves moms
>>
>>44145193
Not really. I mean SURE my in game mom might actually be plotting against me, created me via stealing blueprints from her coworker, AND is bound to forget about me once a new child comes along, but that's all par for the course right?
>>
>>44145184
The character's mom is supposedly the goddess of hunting, though she could be lying to him and his father. Either way, she is a goddess of something, with some divinity rubbing off onto her son, my character.

In-game she stalks him through the world and always watches out for him, subtly helping him if need be. She's a bit overprotective, domineering and very judgmental.

>>44145195
Because of her nature though some of those special snowflakes have brushed off onto my character. Again though, that was encouraged by the DM and all of the characters have some sort of supernatural or weird characteristic or nature about them.
>>
>>44145264
The whole thing about "special snowflakes" is that their whole point is that they're more unique than anyone else. If everybody in the party is a special snowflake, it's not really a bad thing, it's just a party of extraordinary people.

Also, I've run out of Freud pictures, but
>In-game she stalks him through the world and always watches out for him, subtly helping him if need be. She's a bit overprotective, domineering and very judgmental.
This would be grounds to post more of him if I had any
>>
>>44145360
I guess that's true, though my character is the only literal demigod.

Also it's kind of funny you bring up the Freud thing because there have been several cases of the DM acting a little creepy with her as an NPC, particularly in relation to romance. I think it's weird and I hope he's not doing it for magic realm reasons, but at the same time it sort of fits her character, of being jealous and petty, and thinking nothing is good enough for her son especially not any girl he might fancy.
>>
File: FreudianSlip-18342.jpg (74 KB, 763x575) Image search: [Google]
FreudianSlip-18342.jpg
74 KB, 763x575
>>44145360
I got you man
>>
File: this one.png (42 KB, 173x184) Image search: [Google]
this one.png
42 KB, 173x184
>>44140000
>ghost waifu
Are you referencing the ghost waifu I think you're referencing?
Nice quads, by the way.
>>
Little orphan Annie
Whole groups new to ttrpg at the time. So DM thought he was breaking new ground with this whole concept of handing us an orphan child that got orphaned from the war we started.
Went of as you'd expect and we eat it up. Years in game teaching her all of lifes lessons a 14 year old could muster and teaching her how to be a warrior. Of course the second she turned 18 it was time for her to be her own adventurer. the second she stepped out that door she got kidnapped by the general from the losing side gone crazy delving into dark magics best left untouched. We of course chased the guy down the second we found out. Villagers notice this odd new airbase built at the top of the mountain that wasn't there a week ago. This info trickles down to us and we set off on a mountain climb. Trolls and alot of ex-soldiers in our way make the climb difficult. Finally reach the top of the tower toward the dirigible docking yard. Bbeg nowhere in sight but our daughter is standing in the center of the yard wearing crazy looks armor and carrying this huge sword. Closer inspection shows she's covered in this ancient runes and her entire mannerism have changed. Begin the monologue about the bbeg needing a new body cause the magic shit he learned to try and one up us in war was eating his body so he went and got a new one. actual shock sets in for all of us around this point cause we realize this is what the dm was angling for the entire time and he was just getting us attached so it would hurt when he took her away. Dm Manages to get the bbeg through his monologue, evil laugh, and walking over to the last dirigible by the time we actually try something. The entire time we're just plinking cause the new bbeg is o so much better. Bbeg is safely on the dirigible and starting to fly away when i cast fireball at the balloon.
Cont.
>>
>>44145588
The dm didn't actually think this bit through and wanted the new bbeg to keep the campaign going so he had this shocked and dumbfounded look while shouting "WHY?!". We all agreed its canon that the tough bastard of a bbeg's final moments were the dumbfounded expression of a little girl shrieking "WHY?!" As the flaming dirigible falls out of sight.
>>
>>44145588
>>44145638
kek
>>
My favourite NPC (DM) so far was a little girl my players (playing an all Orc party in a sort of parody game) adopted in session one. Basically they entered a town, found three children (1 girl, 2 boys) playing in the snow. The kids ran into their fort/igloo so the orcs covered them in, and went further into town. After slaughtering the townsfolk they came back to retrieve the children. Two of the party fought over the girl with ancient ceremonies battle of orc-kind; an eye poking contest. The thief beat the bard and took ownership of her, grooming her to be a functional member of the tribe.

they then proceeded to light a house on fire (because it was cold) and roast the other two children on it, eating them, and feeding the more indistinguishable parts to her
>>
My favorite NPC just so happened to be a robot known as Mr Fuzz. Standing at 600 meters tall he was meant to be something of a boss encounter but instead of actually fighting the party he ended up squishing his creator and going of on a journey around the world in order to understand human emotion.

The party bumped into him numerous times around the world doing various things and each time he had become a little more human. However right before the final showdown of the chronicle he appeared and told the party that the one human emotion he could not figure out and would likely never know was love.

Upon stating this he activated his boosters and flew off into space in hopes of finding either God or some form of alien life-form that could teach him this.
>>
>>44146380
I wish him luck with his quest.
>>
Wilson With Six Esses. His secret is that there's actually only five S's.
>>
>>44139932
The wife of the party rogue, who turned out to be an ancient dragon much to the rest of the party's surprise. In the setting dragons like to prank people, but their idea of pranks are making monkey paw-esque deals with people and burning them (and often their villages) alive when they can't keep up their end of the bargain. The rogue, who the player roleplayed as having a think Scottish brogue, made a deal with her when he was young to become the greatest thief alive but in return all his money had to go to her treasure horde. He ended up being more then capable of keeping up his part of the bargain. They used to hate each other, and from my understanding the whole wife and husband thing originally just started as them mocking each other when he would visit, but over time they may or may not of fallen for each other. They would argue like an old couple but we had heard each of them occasionally let compliments slip to one another. They were basically the party's OTP. We first met her when we convinced the rogue that we need to go get some of the money he had sent "home" to hire a mercenary army for certain quest we were on. The DM and player had great chemistry and many times we were reduced to laughing around the table when those two characters interacted.
>>
File: Not amused.jpg (182 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Not amused.jpg
182 KB, 800x600
>>44144813
>If I'm my DM can I talk about the favorite NPC I came up with?

No. That's cheating.

That being said, your idea is cool as shit, and I would love to play it
>>
Brenden, a servant from the castle of a small city-state whose royal family performed experiments on the entire populace trying to turn everyone into mindless, zombie-esque minions. He managed to avoid the greater effect of their experiments and we saved him from a group of others under their full control, my character specifically. He mistook my warforged for a man in really intense armor and after we dispatched the royal family we realized he had no where to go since the people we were working for were going to come in and set up shop. My warforged has a soft spot for kids in general and so gave him a set of choices: stay in the castle under new management, join the army we worked with as a servant and be placed with a family willing to take him in, or come with the party and learn from those of us willing to teach him. The DM gave me the stink eye after presenting him with those options, saying that no child in their right mind would take anything but the last one and then grumbled about having to give the kid actual stats. So that's how my warforged barbarian adopted his son and became a family alongside the party's sorceress since she was the only other one willing to look after the boy, even though she kind of hates everyone else in the group. We joke that once all our characters are killed he will become the true hero of the story since the DM rolled up pretty amazing stats for him.
>>
File: concept.jpg (574 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
concept.jpg
574 KB, 1520x2688
this motherfucker was pretty cool

setting was playing as a crew of aliens doing space adventure shit, he was the only human encountered in the game and he was a hell of an NPC so I drew this picture of him

rip in piece Howard
>>
>>44144162
>>44144225
I actually laughed pretty hard at that.
>>
>>44151176
Could you imagine it though?
>you're timmy the farmhand
>you're busy herding the cows to pasture
>you see some distant spec in the sky
>can barely recognize it as the shape of a man before it zips past at mach speed
>immediately following the sonic book
"eeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeee"
>the mysterious figure head over the hill out of sight towards the village
>immediate nuclear explosion in the distance
>continue herding cows
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.