[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best race in any setting you've seen/played in?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 14
File: 1449950514826.jpg (109 KB, 746x1070) Image search: [Google]
1449950514826.jpg
109 KB, 746x1070
Best race in any setting you've seen/played in?
>>
>>44139544
Who is this fluid druid?
>>
Human. I think human PCs can make the magic shit seem more interesting in contrast
>>
There are few things quite as fun as running around as a satyr bard. Stereotypical, I know, but it's just such a classic that I love it.
>>
>>44139659
*fluid dryad
>>
>>44139848
>>44139659
Not certain, I got it out of the character art thread.
>>
>>44139544
Not to sound HFY, but probably human.

When I play other races, there's this one fuck I play with who tends to judge the quality of my character based on how much I use, subvert or ignore stereotypes and whether or not I'm "playing the race right" by referencing it as often as possible.
>>
Fishpeople from One Piece (played in a game for it) are pretty cool.

Most interesting I've seen was a homebrewed race of basically The Thing monsters. They needed to to absorb biomass and genetic material to replace that which was constantly degrading in their own body. Whatever they absorbed, they tended to end up resembling and living as. Most just lived as animals since people, if they found out, had less of a problem with something like that predating wolves or cows. For more complex creatures like humans though, they received a persons memories and personality to some extent, and some attempted to live as their victims for periods of time. Played in a game where one player was playing as one of these creatures, and it was quite interesting.
>>
>>44139983
>>44139748

See, I'm inclined towards humans, because that's mostly what I play... but nonhuman races in fantasy settings are what really makes it "fantasy" to me. Magic, sure. But there's nothing quite like a kobold, or a mountain troll, or any of the more alien things.
>>
Deep Imaskari.

+2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity
Low-Light Vision

Spell Clutch (Su): Because the deep Imaskari have studied magic for ages on end, a certain facility with magic has seeped into their blood. Once per day, a deep Imaskari can recall any 1st-level spell that she has already prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it hadn't been cast.

+4 bonus on Hide checks when underground: A deep Imaskari's marblelike skin helps her hide in underground terrain.

Automatic Languages: Common and Roushoum. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Dwarven, Elven, Terran, and Undercommon (or by character region).

Favored Class: Wizard. A deep Imaskari loves magic above all else.

The Deep Imaskari are finished with isolation and hiding. Having decided that they know far too little about the world from which their ancestors took refuge, they shattered the Great Seal that kept Deep Imaskar isolated for so long, and a bold few ventured forth into the deepest layers of the Underdark.

But those who choose the path of exploration do so at a cost: They must turn their backs forever on their homes behind the Great Seal. The location of Deep Imaskar is magically excised from the brain of any deep Imaskari who chooses to leave, so that even should she run afoul of mind-reading creatures (as many have), the race's final redoubt will remain safe.

tl:dr, wizards with marble-looking skin that have the location of their home town magically wiped from their mind if they leave town.
>>
Lizardman, always fun
>>
File: eldar-dire-avenger1.jpg (151 KB, 621x900) Image search: [Google]
eldar-dire-avenger1.jpg
151 KB, 621x900
>>44139544
I usually play humans, but I have really enjoyed elves the past couple years.
>>
File: Fighting-Felynes.png (254 KB, 579x450) Image search: [Google]
Fighting-Felynes.png
254 KB, 579x450
>>44139544
Small catfolk represent.
>>
>>44140566
>Monster Hunter
Solid taste.
>>
File: striking-scorpion1.png (1 MB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
striking-scorpion1.png
1 MB, 750x1000
>>44140553
>>
>>44139544

Kinder. Their childlike innocence and lovable rogueishness warms the heart.
>>
>>44141740

kender I meant. How foolish am I for mistaking the name of the most interesting and well crafted race of all tabletop games, nay, of all fiction.
>>
>>44141740
>>44141792
>>
bump of life
>>
File: GW2Warrior02-1600x1200.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
GW2Warrior02-1600x1200.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
Roman Empire big cat warriors who killed their gods, sign me the fuck up
>>
Toss-up between North Koreans and Aryans.
>>
Grippli
Because poisonous wall crawlers

And Humans
Because I find they tend to do really well at most things without having to faff around too much.
>>
>>44146031
The races of Guild Wars are all so badass.
>>
File: pe-godlike-portraits.jpg (165 KB, 1911x1000) Image search: [Google]
pe-godlike-portraits.jpg
165 KB, 1911x1000
>>44139961
>>44139659
It looks like a Godlike from the Pillars of Eternity game.
>>
File: HoratioIllustration.jpg (150 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HoratioIllustration.jpg
150 KB, 1920x1080
Horatio
Because Horatio
>>
File: GWBrambleSylvariFemale.jpg (346 KB, 2160x1274) Image search: [Google]
GWBrambleSylvariFemale.jpg
346 KB, 2160x1274
Sylvari were pretty cool design wise
>>44140566
I hate these things so much
>>
>>44139659
Looks to be art from Guild Wars 2. Sylvari I believe the race is called? Born from the dream of a tree.
There is actually a ton of art from Guild Wars 1 & 2 floating around character art threads.
>>
>>44146031
Fuck you, ya damned rug with a pulse. I specifically recall humans putting down both the titans and the destroyers. Your killing your gods is a massive cultural lie. Also, Abaddon got ganked by humans. Black people to be precise.

God that first game was near as perfect as a video game can get for a very long time.
>>
I posted this in another thread but this seems more appropriate.

I had an idea for a race l haven't fully fleshed out yet. They were humanoid, but were defined by having hands for feet like a monkey, and feathers grew from their heads instead of hair. Ears drooped downward and were kind of shaped like corn leaves. Generally on the smaller side. Any criticisms or ideas to help flesh these guys out a bit more? I was thinking they'd live in trees what with them feet and all but it seems pretty cliche
>>
>>44146860
Make the feathers more than just on their heads, and have the slightly hunched over. When they really wanna go quick, they're set up to go on all fours. Also, long faces are good for feathers.
>>
>>44146230
Seriously, though. They all had their own niche in themes and aesthetics, and everything in that niche was just done well.
>>
>>44146882
I was aiming less for beastlike and more for uncanny valley. Though the image of a woman plucking the feathers out of her legs as part of her dolling up process is pretty entertaining.
>>
File: Bosmer.jpg (50 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
Bosmer.jpg
50 KB, 736x736
>>44139544

Cannibal Holocaust Elves with Horns.
>>
>>44146820
Humans never appealed to me. Divinity's Reach is such a pretentious name for a city and I never liked the fact that they're so far up their god's asses that they can't see past them.

>>44146031
My nigga. Charr represent!

I'm going to throw Asura out there. Super smart and equally arrogant, but more than capable enough to back it up. Golems are cool, it's a shame that there isn't a race specific Golemancer class for them.
>>
>>44147048
>Calls humans pretentious
>favors the race of egomaniacs
>>
File: Asura1.png (309 KB, 527x349) Image search: [Google]
Asura1.png
309 KB, 527x349
>>44147130
I"m a hypocrite, Anon. You got me.

I'm really just don't like that the whole god aspect to them is turned up to 10. It's not my thing, is all.

I really love that kind of cocksure character that knows they're good and isn't afraid to talk shit. They get bonus points when they're smart and sassy.
>>
>>44140447

"hey guys, we need to explore the world we have forgotten, so break that magi seal and stuff"

"Oh anyone who goes out to actually explore will be wiped so they can't come back and any knowledge they find is useless"

The fuck?
>>
>>44146860
Well the surface description of a race is literally the least interesting thing about them, so until you tell me what difference feather-hair and foot-hands means for them culturally, I couldn't care less.
>>
>>44148352
Sure.
Apart from your basic beauty standards the feathers are a big part of how they judge themselves outwardly. If you have bigger feathers with intricate patterns you are generally considered more desirable, especially if you lucked into a base color that wasn't black, white, grey, blond, or rust red, which almost never happens. I'd probably give a player one chance to roll a 20 for their color if they wanted anything special when they rolled one up.

They embrace their hand feet as a result of them they tend to prefer high places and try to develop acrobatic skills. Their cobblers specialize in making flexible shoes that are basically tough gloves, but are generally shit at making boots unless they learn from a foreign craftsman. Their hand feet are considered ridiculous by a fair number of folk that enjoy laughing them off as glorified monkeys. They on the other hand think that normal feet look malformed and ugly.

Aside from a niche few of them, they're witty but not especially wise. They think magic is stupid and just want to parkour around. They churn out a lot of rogues, assasins, rangers and swashbucklers as a result, rarely do you see a fighter or a caster here. With the exception of a few bruisers, they are slight in figure and generally grow to about five feet.

That's about all I wrote down so far.
>>
File: wallpaper-1176813.jpg (2 MB, 2893x2046) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-1176813.jpg
2 MB, 2893x2046
I've been wanting an extremely hierarchical race that uses gift-giving to determine status. There are some species of birds irl that do this--keeping track of who's given what to whom, and ranking one another in the group with it.
Offering aid in any way is a display of "I rank higher than you," and accepting any is conceding that. You'd only be willing to "trade favors" with people very close to you: long-time friends or spouses.
Trying to give a present or something to a person of much higher status than you could be very insulting, potentially social suicide resulting in excommunication.

No idea how that would behave on a large scale or how they'd deal with other races.

Is something like that already around, or is it better to just make one up?
>>
>>44149828
On a larger scale it already sort of exists, if elves only survive because they were helped in a war by humans then they will be thought of as lesser. On a more personal scale that sounds cool though.
>>
>>44146031

I was partial to the Norn.
>>
>>44139544
Human, dunno why but they tend to be the best.
>>
>>44146598
>hating on felynes
How?
>>
File: 1448244698543.png (64 KB, 384x379) Image search: [Google]
1448244698543.png
64 KB, 384x379
Skeleton is GOAT race.
>>
>>44149828
I can't say I've seen it used in the same sense before. Go for it, I like it.
>>
>>44150403
Skeleton is as much a race as male is a race.
>>
>>44154032
YOU DARE DISPARAGE THE MALE RACE FEEBLE WOMAN?
>>
>>44146332
Ahahah

Agreed.
>>
>>44146332
>>44154167
doesn't get much better than horatio
>>
>>44150403
Memefag pls
>>
>>44146332
>>44154167
>>44154371
What's a horatio?
>>
>>44156021
Horatio is an ultimate samefag.
>>
>>44156021
A dude who cloned himself so much he became his own race. He's from Endless Space
>>
Obviously human. That's all you need in a setting.
>>
>>44156021
>>44157141
He's also the most fabulously egotistical being in existence. This is completely deserved, as he's also the most undeniably perfect being in existence.
>>
So far we got:

>plant people
>Horatio people Endless Space
>Fish people from One piece
>Deep Imaskari from Forgotten Realms
>Cat people from GW2
>Humans.

Now make a setting
>>
>>44139544
Bangaa
>>
>>44146031
Shame what players have done with them.
>>
>>44157346
I hate humans.
>>
>>44140447

What's the point of an explorer who can't come back?
>>
>>44163340
>players
You mean the writers for the second game that didn't once even look at the first Guild Wars?
>>
>>44163220
yooooooo This
>>
>>44139544
Lustforged.
>>
>>44146332
>Amoeba
>Automatons
>Hissho
>Sowers
>Pilgrims
How come Endless Space has such neat factions and aliens? Is it the art?
>>
>>44166079
Hate the human reality, love the human ideal; abhorrence of humans as the bestial, adoration of humans as the divine.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.