[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would your current PCs handle the fact they brutally failed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: lose-hope-558x280.png (346 KB, 558x280) Image search: [Google]
lose-hope-558x280.png
346 KB, 558x280
How would your current PCs handle the fact they brutally failed the main quest?
>>
>>44136928
Leave the planet, hijack the nearest ship with turbolasers, drive it back to the planet we left and orbitally bombard the surface until the oceans evaporate and the earth turns to slag.
This is, in fact, plan A for the group right now.
>>
>>44136928
The main quest of my PC is esentially making Gehenna happen.
I'm not expected to succeed.
>>
>>44136928
"Main Quest" what the fuck is this notion?
>>
>>44136928
Mostly likely by being dead.
>>
>>44136928
Already happened, we used a magic device that we called 'The Failsafe' to hurl everything back in time, shortening the lifespan of the universe by several hundred millennia but ensuring that the time it has left isn't ruled by absolute evil.

The fight is ongoing. The Failsafe is still ready to be used again, but... We would really rather not, you know? We don't know how long the lifespan of the universe is. We might have induced armageddon in a few years already.
>>
>>44136928
I'm not sure we have a main quest right now, given that we're a bunch of nominally good nobles whose main quest consists of 'get more money, land and titles' and we accomplished all three in the first session, and have spent the rest of the game eliminating complications threatening our new land, money and titles. I guess our house gets burned down and we're declared bandits? Not the best of ends but we can always just leave the country since all but one of us have holdings elsewhere.
>>
File: Consider-Following.jpg (94 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Consider-Following.jpg
94 KB, 250x250
>>44136928

"Okay. What's next?"
>>
>>44136928
Wasn't me.
>>
Well since failing the "main quest line" would result in the total war between a God of death and the positive energy plain I'd say we'd perish along with everything else on the planet not immune to all magic and energy.
>>
>>44136928
Considering any result less then success means the end of the world, they wouldn't really have much time to reflect on their failure. More so because they are likely to be at ground-zero when it happens.
>>
>>44136928
I'm not sure, but I get to find out on Monday so I have that going for me.
>>
They probably would spend few sessions talking to each others and then going to find something else to massively fail
>>
Happened two consecutive games in my group.
The first time, the Jedi PCs inadvertently brought the fist of the Empire down on Onderon. It was made very clear that the Empire would stop bombing the city if they confirmed that all the Jedi were dead. The players were reminded "There is no death, there is the Force."
Half of them fucking ran while the others stayed for gloriously heroic deaths.
>>
In one game, no handling needed, if we fuck up the planet gets destroyed/turned into a space dragon.

In the other game probably flee to a life of space-piracy given that I'm not quite honorable enough to actually top my self for failing the emperor.
>>
>>44141399
That sounds pretty awesome.
>>
Well, the orcs just got utterly exterminated by the other nations of the world and everyone is pissed at them for attempting to teach them arcane magic on a large scale, but that doesn't matter because the Waiter in the Deep just broke free of his ancient prison and has now just consumed the vast majority of the Prime Material Plane. Whoops.
>>
>>44136928
Go to the nearest Tavern and resume drinking, he's probably used to failure already, given his backstory is of a failure of a man who dared to seek fortune elsewhere, only to fail again and again at every single adventure he went through and witnessing the death and/or participating unwillingly or unknowingly in the killing of innocents.

He would later realize he's out of gold, sober up and think to himself "Damn, I really outdone myself this time" before returning to whatever remains of the party

I really suck at these P&P games...
>>
>>44136928
I'm running Pathfinders Wrath of the Righteous and just started the last book.

If they fail, it's TPK, and the book actually has a section covering just what happens if they fail.
>>
>>44136928
They would no longer exist. Not even in the spooky spirit realm.
>>
>>44143947
>Numerian Cyberdemons
Who's a man-and-a-half?
I'm a man-and-a-half!
Berserker Packin' man-and-a-half!
>>
>>44136928
They'd have to flee or be killed by their former allies if their former boss doesn't get to it first.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 445x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 445x371
Ricko would sadly turn around and walk back all the way to his little California junkyard, quietly regretting that his great journey caused the deaths of his friends.

A lonely walk all the way from Texas.
>>
They would die as the rampant plauge of doves and rats spread from the anti-adventure town of Abner's Landing to all of Faerun, leading to widespread illegalization of adventuring and dungeoneering by the survivors
>>
>>44142940
> Waiter in the Deep

Here to serve death and destruction with a light aperitif of chaos and war. The main course is the turning of the dead into ravenous hordes who begin to run wild through the plains devouring crops and spreading disease. Finally, as the starving people succumb to despair the world becomes a desert with the bill being presented - all you are including your very soul is due.
>>
>>44136928
He wouldn't, as he probably would be very fucking dead.

On the incredibly improbable chance that he's alive somehow, he will try his best to find a group of people to remedy this catastrophe.
There will be time to grieve later.
>>
>>44136928
time travel shenanigans
>>
>>44136928
Poorly.
>>
>>44136928
With alcohol, in temple, perhaps being talked to by his close ones (assuming any survived) and sooner or later by embarking on a new one.
>>
For us to fail it means we never become aware of the dark secrets behind us; That our lives have been a lie, our memories faked and that we are actually working for the BBEG this whole time.
We continue doing our duty, protecting the nation and upholding its laws.

Mind you, even if/when we succeed, we'd like keep doing the same. We may be brainwashed police in a fascist police state, but we make damn great police.
The only real differance would be who signs our paycheck.
>>
>>44136928
Probably suffer the consequences. Why would they embark on a quest other to prevent bad things from happening?

Maybe some treasure quest, in which case they'd just go on with their lives
>>
>>44136928
DH PC would scar himself and then fight to death and beyond to undo the mutants overthrowing the city. If he succeeds, then he sets himself on fire and awaits death.

Starw Without Number PC is ecstatic, ditches the rest of the party (minus the navigator) and opens his own security firm.
>>
>>44138679
>Several hundred millenia

This really isn't that much on a cosmic scale.
>>
>>44136928
Swear loudly, become war profiteers.
>>
>>44136928
>our faces when we realize we aren't getting paid
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.