[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>New campaign >Character alignments >Chaotic Neutral
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: there's a bug on my screen.jpg (154 KB, 858x539) Image search: [Google]
there's a bug on my screen.jpg
154 KB, 858x539
>New campaign
>Character alignments

>Chaotic Neutral
>Chaotic Neutral
>Chaotic Neutral
>Chaotic Good
>Chaotic Neutral
>>
>Chaotic

The "I want to do whatever I feel like at the time" alignment.

Then again, setting yourself a strict alignment in the first place is pigeonholing yourself.
>>
>>44136002
>not playing chaotic good
>not playing a glorious robin hood campaign as you fight excessive taxation.
>>
>implying alignments add anything to games
>implying you would be able to judge what is which in the case that they do
>>
File: 1412680122145.png (217 KB, 435x505) Image search: [Google]
1412680122145.png
217 KB, 435x505
>>44136002
Give them what they want then!

>Alright, here's the starting city. Now what you could do i-... Oh, you want to slap the queen on the butt? Well, roll to slap her butt.
>You smack that honkey-tonk badonkadonk raw, making dat fine ghetto booty dance back and forth underneath her tight dress. The king doesn't look too happy though
>You fight off the royal guard, but now you're enemy of the state number 1
>Oh, and the one leading the manhunt against you is this overzealous ultra-paladin with a 39 and a half foot pole stuck up her ass that dreams of nothing more than bringing you to grim, bloody JUSTICE

There you go, a memorable campaign everyone can enjoy. Even you with the right mindset.
>>
File: kin_transformation_attack.jpg (457 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kin_transformation_attack.jpg
457 KB, 1920x1080
>>44136002
Throw them in a campagin involving heavy amounts of abberants to show them the true meaning of chaotic
Every other Social or Riddle challenge should involve Slaads, who speak in word salads.
Go ahead and toss some far reapm outer god mutation and body horror shit to afflic the players with. Nothing quite like the Fighter gaining 20 Wisdom but losing his hands, eyes, and other facial elements but getting truesight aura cauliflower face and four to six 2d8 Tentacle bash natural weapons.
>>
>>44136212
>roll chaotic good double agent actually working for the king
>>
Did someone say Lawful Good love-interest with an insistence on reform?
>>
>>44136266
Alternatively a Pirate Campaign suits just as well.

Not saying that the two are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>44136002
Easy solution: Don't play with alignments.

You want to play as a decent person, then fucking roleplay it. Don't be a murderhobo and point at the LG on your sheet. Oh wait you don't have an alignment now, so I can just call him out for being the self-righteous hypocritical shitstain that he is.
>>
>>44136002
I'm not very well inversed in D&D lore, but isn't "chaotic" basically the same as "doesn't care about social norms or authority"

So wouldn't a Chaotic X be someone who has a clear goal, but pursues that goal in a "chaotic" way?

I never saw the "Chaotic" thing as part of the character's personality as much as the means the character would use to achieve his goal, whether that goal be good, neutral or evil.
>>
File: 1449261660805.png (356 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449261660805.png
356 KB, 800x600
>>44136552
Not him, but you're generally right. The problem is, as far as I know, that the definition of chaotic changed with each version. Some people still maintain the old model in which chaotic neutral was literally an insane person, one who acted at random and was just as likely to help an old lady cross a bridge as he was to push her off it.

In the end chaotic characters got a bad rep as being the "lolsorandumb xD" characters.

>>44136283
After traveling with the party for a while, the mysterious female swordsman decides that your character will make a good husband. She proposes to him on the condition that he stays home and provides for the children. She refuses to leave until he accepts. Wat do?
>>
>even filling in the character alignment box anymore

It's 2015 people, it doesn't even do anything.
>>
>>44136002
You must be a shit GM if the players are afraid to specify an alignment other than Chaotic.

>You can't do that, your character is *insert alignment other than Chaotic here*
>>
>>44136681

Tell her to get lost. I'm in no mood for some poorly dressed dominatrix to come in and try and tell me when I can and can't adventure.
>>
>>44136212
>unironically posting agk
>>
>>44136681
Refuse, because I do not want children.

Since she refuses to leave until I accept, I acquire a permanent LG female servant, as I will never accept.

BONUS
>>
File: 1345953966.78234736[2].jpg (70 KB, 448x342) Image search: [Google]
1345953966.78234736[2].jpg
70 KB, 448x342
>>44136752
>Being afraid of having shit taste
>Not embracing your inner pleb

I mean, come on! It's the current year!
>>
>>44136800
Don't abuse the Mokous for your shitposting.

Mokou does not care what the current year is.
>>
File: Paladin-Why the Backlash.png (77 KB, 1155x290) Image search: [Google]
Paladin-Why the Backlash.png
77 KB, 1155x290
>>44136478

I agree with you, but holy fuck, did Paladins drown your puppy and break your Optimus Prime toy when you were little?
>>
>>44136902
We already had a paladin hate thread this week, let's not get into it again.
>>
>>44136002
Well if you don't set parameters to a game before character creation, thats your fault
If you did, your players are cunts
>>
>>44136002
I've had this happen once. It quickly became a evil campaign with everyone backstabbing everyone else for their own gain.
I've never had to do so little work as a DM before or since.
>>
>>44136113
See, I'd be quite happy to have someone like that in the party. I'd even be happy to have them arguing with the Lawful Good paladin, because in the end, they both agree that it's important to do the right thing.

But they're never played like that. They're always the lone wolf so dramatic tortured special snowflake type who refuses to get along with the party (and in some cases, doesn't want to even go with them). Likewise, CN types aren't just wanderers and mercenary drifters who will sometimes just do a thing because it's interesting. They're always lolsorandum types who will stab the king to get his crown and then poo on the throne, like their alignment's an excuse to ignore all politeness and social norms, as well as common sense.

I would LOVE to play a campaign where players actually play their alignments right and CARE about the group and the story and actually fucking PLAYING their ROLES... But it never happens that way.
>>
File: 1445569813127.jpg (6 KB, 123x110) Image search: [Google]
1445569813127.jpg
6 KB, 123x110
>>44136002
>Current campaign
>Neutral Evil
>Lawful Good
>Neutral Neutral
I'm surprised we lasted a single session
>>
>>44141162
Possibly you lasted so long because Marcille is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>44136681
>Some people still maintain the old model in which chaotic neutral was literally an insane person, one who acted at random and was just as likely to help an old lady cross a bridge as he was to push her off it.

I was about to start an "acthually..." post then opened my PHB to cite, and it really was a LOLRANDUMB alignment. The fucking RP example has him charge a gorgon for no reason because LOL and he dies.
>>
I played chaotic evil with a group of lg ng people. spent every session pranking and talking smack but being generally useful but lazy. trolled a druid into tears so hard she ran away and cried during a major fight. I called her a waste of flesh in any form she took, then promptly carried the group through the remainder of the encounter. I made it a point to make the paladin as paranoid as possible and never revealed my brooch that hides my alignment. died when I took a dispel to the face, paladin seized the opportunity to detect evil then smote me alomng with the rest of the party. they then got torn to pieces by the lich that suppressed my magic items.
>>
>>44141278
So you were an asshole that guy who justified the stereotypes?

Because that's what it sounds like.
>>
>>44141369
well if nothing else you could say the player behavior was consistent with alignment models (and the lawful stupid paladin stereotype)
>>
>>44141369
Seems to me like they played a jerk character but honestly not really any worse than a neutral or hell even good jerk. Really it's the rest of the party that's in the wrong for murdering him over thoughtcrime
>>
>>44141369
hello Telannia, done being about as useful as a rotting piece of wood? or are you just here to bitch about me walking on the grass?
>>
>>44136681
I agree. As a nomadic murderhobo my home is on the road, and I am happy to travel the world with our children while teaching them to follow in my footsteps.
>>
>>44141278
>>44141369
Honestly, smiting his ass is a bit extreme, but after all his shit, I'd leave him to die, honestly. He's done nothing to earn everyone's loyalty or friendship.

>>44141162
I wouldn't go that far. Laius has some weird-ass tastes, but he's Chaotic Neutral done right. He's co-operative with his friends and treats them well - he's downright devoted to helping his sister and willing to dive into hell for her (hopefully not literally). He marches to his own beat though and has an off-kilter personality that gives him his odd fascination with dungeon food.

Chilchak is definitely True Neutral. He's stead fast with his friends, does his job well and really doesn't seem to give much of a crap, but he does have standards, such as not wanting to eat the merfolk.

Marcille is Lawful Good too, or maybe True Neutral. She seems fairly moral, if sheltered and cares about her party (though not as much as Farin who is just the most Neutral Good you can get).

And Senshi is cetainly Lawful Neutral. He's dedicated to keeping the balance and preserving the dungeon's order and ecosystem, getting pissed when the party disrupts it. He also gives trust and expects it in return, like it's just an obvious natural law. It seems uncharacteristically naive, until you realise he just believes that everything works according to the system he upholds and believes in.

Honestly, Dungeon Meshi provides us with very good examples of the alignment system; the characters represent their alignments without being bound by them to the extent of having no personality or quirks beyond them. Their alignment describes and is applied to them, rather than defining and restricting them.
>>
>>44141534
there were many times I took out enemies attacking weak party members, both to make sure I looked good and to try to reinforce the fact that they should toughen up and focus on the fight ( in character, these things.)

I was a dick, but I hoped that I could help them get thick skin so we could focus on what matters: killing shit and getting me paid. I just enjoyed doing things to poke at the other characters, such as not taking that sad "orcs killed my family and now I'm dark" shit. fuck that orcs should have killed you instead ya brooding piece a shit. at least your parents would have saved money on your fighter school tuition or whatnot.
>>
>>44136002
Add in a neutral good (me) and you'd have a campaign I played once. Funny part was that we were supposed to be basically fantasy cops. Wasn't too bad though, since only one of them ever acted even remotely chaotic.
>>
>>44136681
>"I worship Golarion Satan. My mom was a vampire. I work for people who are basically Nazis. Healing energy actually hurts me. I am the edgiest thing in this entire campaign. Why did you think this was a good idea."
>>
>>44136212
What he said.
This is great because all you need to do as a GM is just react to what your players do. Because and bare in mind just because they are neutral does not excuse things like murder OR making deals with demons.
I have lost track of how many times I have fucked chaotic neutral players because they thought "Whats the worse that could happen making a deal with a demon or fae?"
>>
>>44141534
I don't know. Marcille is definitely Good, I think, because she wouldn't hear any of Laius's attempts to get her to sell her stuff because she wasn't going to leave him.

Also, re: Senshi, I think there's something to the theory that he's secretly a criminal, which is why he lives in the dungeon and such. I don't know precisely what that would do to his alignment, though.
>>
File: yes.jpg (62 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
62 KB, 600x532
>Character Alignments

>Lawful Good
>Chaotic Good
>Lawful Evil
>Chaotic Evil
>>
File: smug pepes.jpg (170 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
smug pepes.jpg
170 KB, 800x800
>>44136002

>using alignments
>not forcing the players to write down what the hell their characters are about.
>not making sure their character sheets are in front of them, reminding them of what they are playing as

1 session is all it take for new players to understand that they have to play according to what they decided the character want, not according to what they OOC want based on current situation.
>>
>>44136002
Been inactive for a good bunch of years.
Last campaign we had:
>Lawful good
>Chaotic good
>Neutral good
>Chaotic evil
>Neutral evil
>Neutral neutral
>Chaotic neutral
>Chaotic neutral with a vengeance.

We made it past one year because every time we were about to kill ourselves, the DM gave us reasons not to.

It also helped that I was playing a clueless character.
>>
>>44136699
Shhh... don't tell them that.
>>
>>44136902
>Paladins drown your puppy and break your Optimus Prime toy when you were little?

I love paladins. Hell, my first PC was a paladin-type guy. I've just seen too many played like murderhobos. It just makes me mad to see "Galahad: The Class" played like some kind of delusional bandit.
>>
File: delirium-3.jpg (56 KB, 385x497) Image search: [Google]
delirium-3.jpg
56 KB, 385x497
So having the Chaotic Neutral alignment basically equals to emulate schizophrenia/dementia/insert type of insanity here, without being a complete psychopath or a rebellious outlaw hero?
>>
>>44136002

I run a lot of OSR games

I've totally done away with alignments and let people just play their characters

Relieves all the annoyance of reminding people to play their alignment or getting into nonsense
>>
>>44136002
there's nothing wrong with this. It's when everyone's got a clear moral alignment to work the group goals towards that the one guy trying to play the wacky sociopath becomes a constant pain in the ass. If it's this clear that that's what everyone it going for then there's no reason the DM shouldnt be able to handle this and guide the tone of the story and direction of the plot appropriately. Now that Chaotic Good character might cause some issues is that's going to be a "moralizing preaching + zero impulse control" kind of CG.
>>
File: Robin kek.jpg (23 KB, 446x299) Image search: [Google]
Robin kek.jpg
23 KB, 446x299
>>44136002
>Implying that chaotic good and neutral can't be played by good roleplayers.
>>
>>44146147
i used chaotic neutral as an excuse to hover between CN and CG , helping people as long as it gets me some gold , or at least amuses me

sometimes giving a little bonus , like pissing in the overtaxing king's wine barrels

otherwise , it is live and to let live
>>
I never really understood alignments
>>
>>44146839
Nor do most people who play D&D

Easy Mode: pick Neutral Good and play your character as a non-asshole.
>>
>>44146839
Neither does /tg/.
>>
>>44136002
Next time, don't let your players pick their alignments. Instead, get them to describe their characters' personalities, and hold them to that.
>>
>>44147243
did that once

>my characters personality? he is cool

maybe not such a good idea
>>
>>44147254
They don't know how to describe their characters. Teach them.
>>
>>44136002
Play Chaotic Evil.
Copy exactly what the Chaotic Good guy does, but in an extremely sarcastic manner in such a way to make him (and yourself, but that's not important) look like a twat.
>>
>>44147285
i keep teaching them , but they only complain about the broken bones in their faces.

any tips for teaching my players how to RP in an immersive manner?
>>
>>44136002
So make them bandits, and have them fight guards for survival.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.