[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about players being able to play all humanoid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1435430103101.jpg (622 KB, 1487x1001) Image search: [Google]
1435430103101.jpg
622 KB, 1487x1001
What do you guys think about players being able to play all humanoid races mixed in a party or should the be limited to "evil" or "good" humanoid races from the setting?

How many humanoid races do you guys think should exist in a setting so that it doesn't become to many or a race is only defined by a special trait?
>>
Great number is 7. Example: Humans, Elves, Nagas (full reptile but distinctly humanoid), Naghaji, orcs, dwarves, and gnomes. Also add in a few half-breed races if you're wanting more exotic options. Each one has their own special place in society and it doesn't feel like there's too many races running around.
>>
>>44127752
m*(4 + (a/50000) + u) rounded to the nearest whole number
where a is area of the setting in square miles, u is a binary identifier if underground is inhabitable or not and m is coeficient for magic scale - from 1 "mostly realistic" to 6 "high as a kite magic"
>>
>>44127752
I think it's better to put more emphasis on different countries and societies, rather than races - when every race in the setting is a monoculture it reeks of laziness. As for number of races, 5-7 is the best number for high fantasy. Split them into different societies and you have just enough variety.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 400x357) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 400x357
In this last (fantasy) game, I gave the players a list of strange player races, and then told them that they could Invent their own races. One player came up with a levitating man o' war jelly, the other came up with a sort of namekian, and I decided that most of his race wears heavy stone armor, but as a monk he doesn't. The third player is a human. My game world feels like Star Wars, there are some familiar species, but there are so many variants that sometimes they'll run into things which are downright strange, like an owlman wizard with a tiny humanoid familiar
>>
>>44128115
1 * (4 + (57,268,900/50,000) + 0) = 1149

So how come it's just us?
>>
>>44128189
>owlman wizard with a tiny humanoid familiar
I'm just gonna borrow that for one of my settings, hope you don't mind.
>>
>>44128266
Sorry, should have done habitable.
1*(4+(24,642,757/50,000)+0) = 497
>>
>>44127752
The way I see it, if you're going to have a large number of races you might as well go all the way. I prefer to generally keep it below 10 and put emphasis on different cultures within the species, but occasionally I'll just keep making up more as the players explore and have completely unique individuals that are the only member of their race.
>>
>>44128297
U cant its my idea patent pending
:p
>>
>>44128353
You can't stop me, I'm behind 7 proxies.
>>
>>44127752

Human PC's only.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.