[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joined a high seas pirate RP, and it's near time to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 093.jpg (44 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
093.jpg
44 KB, 256x192
Joined a high seas pirate RP, and it's near time to get a ship. Among various possible details and modification options, is a "custom" option where you are allowed to come up with whatever you want to add to the ship, within reason. Something like a nuclear missile isn't allowed, but a ram or armored plates/hull is probably allowed.

What are some neat things I can throw on this boat that could come in handy or could make it stand out, or just something useful or normally overlooked? The setting is One Piece, so overall technology is around 1600s-1700s but things can be pretty anachronistic because of how wacky the setting is, like if you want to and for a lot of money, you can get a submarine of the Jules Verne flavor for your ship in this RP.

>Pic tangentially related, a type of ship I am not familiar with and don't know the name of
>>
>>44121907
Put a cool, menacing figurehead on the front!
>>
>>44121907
>mfw "that DM" won't let me install a nuclear missile on my ship using my character's vast knowledge of modern day physics.

This is just like the time my DM wouldn't let me start a thermite assembly line/corporate empire.
>>
>>44121921
Well that's obviously a given and comes with the boat! At least I hope so, certain ship sizes only have a certain number of "slots" which they are limited by. Medium ships, which is within my price range, are 3 slots, so a figurehead while important, might not be possible if it takes up a slot.

I just can't think of what kind of figurehead to make. Stuff like that, sails, figurehead, color of the ship, etc... I'm looking for ideas. As well as the obvious, of actual modifications.
>>
If there's anything archeage has taught me besides to never trust Trion, it's that grappling hooks on boats are really, really, really fun.
>>
>>44121968
Well let me put it this way, a nuclear missile might actually be possible, but not realistically for my character. He's a former sky pirate but the extent of his knowledge is based around fantasy-style airships with like, great big balloons fastened with netting.
>>
>>44121968
Don't even start that shit.
>>
>>44121995
That's pretty good considering most combat in the game is more or less person to person/face to face, and considering having magic powers in the setting makes you unable to swim, grappling cannons or hooks would probably come in much handy.

You know, considering the setting's planet is almost entirely covered in water, and most of what happens is on the sea.
>>
>>44122062
Yep. Also, don't forget to surprise people by waiting under water hooked into the sea floor for them to pass over you.

Then you unleash the hook and in a realistic/bug free experience your ship is ruined before you even get to the bottom rock their world
>>
File: 1406601054806.jpg (26 KB, 457x480) Image search: [Google]
1406601054806.jpg
26 KB, 457x480
>>44122158
>waiting under water hooked into the sea floor for them to pass over you.

I'm sorry, what?

Also I just realized the possibility of making a submarine, hooking a normal ship, and then diving. The hilarious thing is I'm almost certain it hasn't happened in the RP yet, so it wouldn't be banned yet. I could be the first one to do it and drown another player crew entirely.
>>
>>44121907
A ship with the devil fruit power to become a giant human.
>>
>>44122278
While I want to say devil fruit powers for ships is possible allowed (devil fruit items is definitely allowed), I don't think the human one is possible. Partly because I don't think any powers from the canon, at least main characters, are possible.
>>
File: trireme1.jpg (156 KB, 600x489) Image search: [Google]
trireme1.jpg
156 KB, 600x489
Put a ram on it, and ram a motherfucker.
>>
>>44123420
Yeah, that seems pretty obvious.

So between that, and grapple cannons, that leaves about 1 "slot" left for some other modification.
>>
>>44123553
A bath.
>>
>>44123607
One of the slots can be "Luxury" equipped, which means expensive and even advanced amenities like plumbing, carpets, actual beds and the like.

I guess then, what sort of ship type to choose? There's obviously lots of ship types.
>>
>>44123659
A submarine obviously
>>
Greek fire

Things to add to make it stand out... Do you have a devil fruit or a.specific talent you want to emphasize?

Deployable airship type stuff would be the best imo. I dont think it would be a problem in a one piece setting.
>>
>>44122215
You'd need tanks bigger than the entire hull of the ship you're trying to sink though.
>>
>>44123659
Probably a galleon so your bath can be a Japanese onsen? Or maybe an Indiaman?
>>
>>44124223
Submarine is a slot type though. You choose the ship type, and then apply "submersible" to it. So to make it a submarine would have to take away one of the other improvements, and still would require a ship type.

>>44124262
Well it's interesting you say that because one of the characters can transform into a bird, and with my character having been a sky pirate we could very easily get a theme along those lines going. I think to make it an actual airship though would probably require a decrease in size, and filling up the slots with airship-enabling improvements. It's not impossible, but it would require a total overhaul of the idea.

>>44124332
Hmmm, good point. The max size for submarine though is medium, so I guess any smaller ship would be at risk. Considering most of the other player crews are only a few people, it seems like it could be tried once on a smaller ship.
>>
>>44124371
>Making a European-style trading ship to the Japanese-created setting

That's almost too hilarious to pass up. The only concern though is that my character, and assumed crew if he can get enough other players, are pirates. It's not completely necessary, but a ship capable of escape through speed, submerging or whatever else, would probably come in handy. Particularly since people who have been playing for longer are by default more dangerous and like to pick on smaller fish if you know what I mean. A galleon on it's own wouldn't be bad but would have to be armed to the teeth with a strong crew to boot, to justify it's size and slower nature.

Though I guess you could just as easily put an advanced propulsion improvement on it, like paddle wheels or propellers.
>>
>>44124387
Yeah, although I did forget that you could, instead of just dragging it down, try to roll the ship over. This might work on medium ships, and could work on any ship with "too much top and not enough belly"
>>
>>44122278
It has been a while and I only read a little bit but didn't devil fruits have horrendous consequences for being in the ocean?
>>
>>44124648
Also if going for the Verne theme, your probably metal-clad submarine can just ram right through wooden vessels. Considering in 20,000 Leagues it just rams through metal ships.
>>
>>44122215
He's referencing a silly mechanic in Archeage's boat physics: https://youtu.be/WC_45DNKvXw?t=197
>>
>>44124662
It's a little difficult because the canon itself portrays it differently at times. The overall point is that if you have a devil power and fall in the ocean, you'll drown, which is pretty risky since the One Piece planet is like 90% covered in water. I believe the most common term for it is that a devil power user becomes "like a hammer" in the water.

The problem is that sometimes they show DF users falling the water and becoming paralyzed by it and sinking, other times they show them falling in the water and flailing around for their life and trying to stay afloat but inevitably sinking. In this sense it comes down to, if DF powers make the user unable to swim, or actually increases their density or some other factor to actually make them sink.

Either way though, with a properly designed boat it shouldn't be a problem. The boat itself is just one giant object moved by the sails so it doesn't have to move limbs or a body to swim and stay afloat. And if it has to do with sinking outright, well if the shape and the hull is correct then it shouldn't matter because you could make a boat out of lead if you designed it right. The only major issue would of course be that the boat would have to remain in boat form at sea, which is almost the entire time so what's really the point of giving it a devil power to begin with?
>>
>>44124430

Brig 'o War is a decent compromise between agile (for a sailing ship anyway) and large/powerful.

While it's technically small enough to still effectively ram things, you'll need manual/motorized propulsion to utilize it for best effect.
>>
>>44124835
That sounds pretty reasonable, yeah. Only one small problem though, is if a crew of two (currently), admittedly well above average people, can man a ship with that level of rigging and sails?
>>
>>44124430
It's One Piece though.
>>
>>44124924
Right but there's other pirate players, even marine players. Hell, the marine players make their bread and butter from starting newbie pirates. Having a ship is nice, but not if you got caught and jailed, and can't use it.
>>
>>44121907
Holy fuck, someone else who remembers Pirates of the Spanish Main
>>
>>44125354
10 years later and I still have no fucking idea what a "Windcatcher" ship is.
>>
>>44121907
What system do you use op?
>>
>>44130584
You'll laugh but it's an online RP. Generally freeform but there are a fairly complex set of rules governing the whole thing and mods to keep track of it, though it's not any official system per se. I joined after seeing people trying to make a /tg/ crew after some guy storytimed his own experience about rocking the boat of another online One Piece RP. A couple other people here joined but eventually stopped playing while I remained.

So yeah now I'm near to the point of getting a ship, funnily (pathetically) enough.
>>
>>44121907
You don't need nuclear missiles... Just anti-ship missiles! Fire-and-forget from beyond line of sight, and train your crew for undersea salvage.

You'll also need at least one CWS system to shoot down incoming ASMs.
>>
>>44131245
Torpedos could work pretty well.

Also the idea of undersea salvage is actually really inspired, because I know no one else has been doing that. It's like a completely untapped resource! Same with undersea treasure hunting.

Though that would probably require a submarine and some sort of modification like diving suits.
>>
buuump
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.