[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IS yu-gi-oh still fun to play? I dug out my old light deck,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 23
File: 1449889599787[1].png (367 KB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
1449889599787[1].png
367 KB, 308x450
IS yu-gi-oh still fun to play?

I dug out my old light deck, and gravekeepers deck. I stopped playing shortly after they introduced tuners. I looked at the banned list and it doesn't seem too crazy, unlike Magic and Pokemon.

Is it worth getting back into?

I just learned about pendulum monsters and it seems like it really changes the dynamics of the game.
>>
>>44119687

Anything past synchros and tuners isn't fun.
>>
It depends. If you're getting into it for fun and can find a fun local playgroup it can be a blast. The competitive scene is a mess however. The pendulum mechanic has broke the game and the meta will soon be nothing but whoever goes first wins.
>>
>>44119726
oh shit really? I thought you can't attack when you go first though.

I have a few friends who I can play with. There's a comic book shop near by that has done tournaments as far as I can remember.
>>
>>44119726
>the meta will soon be nothing but whoever goes first wins.

This has already happened like 3+ times in the past 5 years. Dragon Ruler era and Wind-Up era are the ones I can immediately recall.
>>
>>44119762

You don't need to attack, you just set up your combo and board to become unkillable, and the opponent can't do anything since he has no traps on the field, and has to rely on Effect Veiler/Maxx "C". Then when his turn rolls around you just negate or counter all his plays with the shit you have on board. Then turn 2 you OHKO him or win over the next two turns.
>>
>>44119784
Basically this. With pendulums they will be getting new support in January that allows them to have a board full of monsters and a back row full of negation traps their first turn. Hence why the competitive scene has and always will be trash. However the casual scene is alive and well and can be great fun. Honestly I only play to troll.
>>
>>44119762
>being this absolutely new to card games in general

There are other ways to win besides reducing life points to zero. Like drawing/special summoning/discarding/drawing/special summoning through half your deck until your opening board state is "you can't do anything on your next turn and then I win".

Most Zero-turn kills don't happen because the person going first wins, they happen because the opponents realizes what you're doing and scoops.
>>
>>44119784
>>44119827
Damn Idk what to do now.

Well maybe they can fix some things with a ban list update or something.

>>44119846
I used to be a dick and use Last turn combined with jowgen the spirtualist.
>>
Honestly you're best bet this format to play and still be semi competitive without playing the same trash everyone is probably exodia.
>>
>>44119899
>>44119899
exodia is still allowed?
>>
>>44120148

Did you get yours tossed off a boat or something?
>>
its 2015

yugioh still censors s select few cards

PRIORITIES!

really fucking weird though they shoved in a Dante's Divine Comedy archetype.
>>
>>44120320
i kind of like that only a few cards are banned

I dont like that pokemon and magic force you to use only the newer packs.
>>
>>44120320

I'm still pissed all my waifu cards get boob reductions and their abs covered up. No wonder the only thing this game is filled with is lolicons and pedophiles.
>>
>>44120387

It's a trick. Your old decks are "legal" but you're never going to win with them. It also leads to much higher prices for YGO.

But I still won't play Standard or Pokemon even if it's "cheaper" because I don't want my decks to ever become illegal, and nobody plays or supports the Pokemon formats that use old cards.
>>
>>44120387
>I dont like that pokemon and magic force you to use only the newer packs.

>magic
>force

formats are a thing

>>44120392
the only Censor that is passable is Lady of D

delicious full plate armor
>>
>>44120420
>eh I bet theres still a lot of cards that are useful, like gravekeepers. Especially if they recently gave them newer cards to add to the deck.
>>
>>44119687
Yes, it's a ton of fun.

And don't listen to these assholes. Synchros made the game dynamic and let you strategize in a way that was previously impossible.

And Pendulum does the OPPOSITE of what >>44119726 this asshole says.

It means that you can always recover from bullshit if you play your cards right. That you don't get board wiped and just "welp."
>>
File: LadyofD-GAOV-JP-C.jpg (110 KB, 397x580) Image search: [Google]
LadyofD-GAOV-JP-C.jpg
110 KB, 397x580
>>44120436

I don't have "realistic armor on females" /tg/ fetish, so I disagree. RAI-MEI's boobsectomy is just tragic.
>>
>>44120320
"select few"

They censor entire archtypes.Look at frightfurs. Or any card with a gun.
>>
>>44120436
>Lady of D
kek, I guess yugioh's alright
>>
>>44120460

I know GK did make a comeback due to their Necrovalley being super good and getting one or two new cards, but I don't think they're currently a top deck.

E-HEROs always comes back and gets new shit too.

A lot of decks are getting new stuff like BEWD and Red-Eyes Dragon but it's not enough. Blackwings recently got new stuff too and they're almost a top deck. Six Samurai got some bans removed and still not a top deck. I'm personally sitting on a Machina/Gadget deck, X-Saber deck, and Blackwings deck. I kind of wanted to get Geargia or HEROs but I can't afford the generic rank 4 Xyz's required to be good.
>>
>>44120460
>newer cards

eh I question why they brought back fucking Gaia the Fierce Knight, Buster Blader, and Black Luster Soldier

god they're gonna go back to Elemental Heroes again arent they

also Black Luster Soldier is confirmed male. Unless YGO abridged was hinting grandpa is gay or something
>>
File: SharedRide-LVAL-EN-ScR-1E.png (616 KB, 411x600) Image search: [Google]
SharedRide-LVAL-EN-ScR-1E.png
616 KB, 411x600
Someone say BANNED CARDS?

>>44120543
>Blackwings

go kill yourself

fucking blackwings bs. even in the video games they're huge dicks
>>
>>44120552

Buster Blader and BLS are fucking cool though. Classic awesome middle-schooler YGO style super knight stuff. I'd rather have those and go back to the old days than all these shitty random archetype themes. Fire Fists? Mermails? Nekroth or whatever? All the new decks suck shit.
>>
>>44120585
blackwings suck. Even with the new support they're not making a splash ANYWHERE
>>
>>44120585

You're just mad I have three face-up Blackwings on my side of the field and a bunch of bullshit instant cast Raigeki/Mirror Force/Heavy Storms in my hand.
>>
>>44120647

To be fair the new BW made one top. One. All the people playing actual decks at that event must have dropped the ball pretty hard. Think it was from South America so that probably doesn't even count.
>>
>>44120617
>Classic awesome middle-schooler YGO style super knight stuff

dude in my town, by middle school you better have grown out of yugioh. otherwise you got lumped with the autistic asian nerds who probably memorized all the pokemon and their appearance by episode. I would know, I had to eat lunch by one.
>>
File: 1443422136164.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1443422136164.webm
3 MB, 480x270
>YGO

Two Words

Orbital

Strike
>>
>>44120681

I was too old for YGO in elementary school. Our equivalent for "too mature for this" in middle school was Pokemon cards.
>>
OP here

so I played yu-gi-oh all the way up until 2011. I think I only got a few new cards around then, and there are only two synchro monsters that I use in the light deck.

I started playing again because a few people on my college dorm's floor started playing. So I brought my old deck back and dueled and traded with them. It was really fun and brought back good memories. I played even during high school, not too competitively, but with friends and stuff.

Some of my more rare cards I traded with friends in college for weed. (one of the guys I played with was a dealer, and I was a pretty persuasive guy)

But I still kept most of my good cards, and my decks still work. I'm happy I still have two so I can always play with someone.
>>
File: frightfure.jpg (143 KB, 618x479) Image search: [Google]
frightfure.jpg
143 KB, 618x479
>>44120509
holy shit

whats wrong with knives. PLENTY of yugioh monsters are armed with swords and knives! never had to censor them!

what, do they think kids would start shoving knives onto their teddy bears?
>>
I still cant believe they gave SOLID MOTHER FUCKING SNAKE a laser gun in the censored version

what is this, super smash bros?
>>
>>44120857

Yup. And frightfur leo and edge imp sabres and edge imp saw are even worse.

That archetype is cool. It's cute teddy monsters that get chopped up by possessed blades (you fuze the haunted scissors and the teddy bear) to make a FNAF monstrosity. Really a fun deck!
>>
>>44120920
No, it's a childrens card game.

Like literally aimed towards children.
>>
only if you play the traditional format. Modern is way too dependent on the latest broken anime mechanic
>>
File: TraptrixRafflesia-BOSH-EN-OP.jpg (234 KB, 600x874) Image search: [Google]
TraptrixRafflesia-BOSH-EN-OP.jpg
234 KB, 600x874
>>44121178
jin comparison apanese kids need to be exposed to lolis and titties though to get them interested in girls to stop the japanese baby time bomb

but I'm preeeety sure that just makes them addicted to 2D
>>
>>44119687
It's shit, it needs a reboot
>>
>>44121200

Nobody plays traditional though. And at least you have the option of using old stuff. Sometimes you can even modernize your old decks enough to be tier 2.

How many decks that were rotated out of M:tG and Pokemon just died and never came back? Practically all of them. YGO isn't much better but revivals and revisits do occur relatively often.
>>
>>44121246
well at least they finally use Keywords like Banish and Pierce

took them like what? 15 years?
>>
>>44121178
So are all card games.
>>
>>44121305

Most traditional games, in fact. For some reason society seems to think "games" are only for children, and not adults, yet sports fanaticism is a thing.
>>
>>44121480
ehh I'd rather deal with fut ball crazies who paint their chest than 2 week unwashed nerds who feel the need to buy a single card that costs $100
>>
File: Toon DMG.png (419 KB, 383x560) Image search: [Google]
Toon DMG.png
419 KB, 383x560
>>44121289
>>
>>44121611
man toon decks could really piss people off

I think toons were banned at one point
>>
>>44122073
Probably just toon world
>>
>>44120509
Though they did a good job with Igknights. They just removed the triggers, but all the other gun motifs are there (revolver chamber shoulders, etc).
>>
Is the Yugioh box set worth getting for nostalgia/fucking around with? Not a serious player, just curious if it's a good deal.
>>
>>44120387
Learn a little more of magic buddy, yes, you "can" play everything in yugioh, but 80% is shit, and you will need only new cards to be even close of the crazy shit that new decks can do.

In magic there are "formats", what you are talking about is "standard" a fairlly common format where you play only with the new cards (so you will most likelly end up playing this when you are starting anyway) but all your cards can be played in tons of different ways, and if you play casual with friends, nobody gives a fuck what you are playing.

also there is sealed, a great format to start where you open a bunch of boosters and just play with what is in them.

The banned list in yugioh would include tons of cards if they put cards that you cant use anyway.
>>
>>44122323
>>44122323
>>44122323
Yeah but wasn't that the only way to play toons? Therefore making toon cards useless?
>>
>>44122372
what box set? The show? I hear they retouched it and rereleased it in japan not too long ago in prep for the newer yugioh movie.

If you're talking about a box of cards, then yeah usually it can be worth it. Unless you're really unlucky, you can get good pulls.
>>
>>44122439
>what box set?
I said Yugioh box set when I really meant to just say Yugi.

Anyways, this one:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Games-Yugis-Legendary-Decks/dp/B0129R7XU6
>>
>>44122374

To be fair 80% of Magic is shit too. I play Legacy and most of the decks are either not affordable for new players or are second rate budget trash. The metagame has also been stale for a few years and isn't nearly as diverse as it was in the past or even as diverse as some YGO eras.
>>
>>44119687
It's decent as long as you steer clear of the competitive scene.
>>
>>44122930

Non-competitive YGO doesn't exist. All the stores I've been to are filled with competitive decks even if the players and tournaments aren't super cutting edge competitive.

Probably because you literally have no chance of winning if you don't buy singles and have a full extra deck.
>>
>>44122930
>Hot red dragon archfiend king calamity

Sounds like something my 12 year old would come up with
>>
>>44120387
the funny thing for magic and yugioh it's actually the opposite as what you describe.
if you pull out what was a 60$ kitchen table deck from lorwyn and a decent 60$ deck from Tarkir they'll go about even.

but if you pull out what 60 dollar deck from duelist revolution (the urza block of yugioh) and a 60$ the newest set the newer deck should win every time.

the reason is because yugioh has no, "new set only," format and nearly all the old cards are legal, they have to power creep the new sets to get people to buy them. mtg has maybe one or two cards reach legacy and modern form the new sets.

generally in my experience the price to play goes like this
Kitchen table mtg<kitchen table yugioh<normal standard mtg<competetive yugioh<current standard mtg<modern mtg<legacy/vintage mtg
current standard is more expensive than normal because a lot of cards from standard made into older formats (fetch lands and jace)
>>
>>44119687
1. It's not fun at the moment. We're looking at a 1-2 deck format. 3+ deck formats are much more enjoyable, at least in the competitive sense.

2. Not really worth getting back into. The games not cheap and you're not going to get much fun out of it.
>>
Please stay in the containment thread on /vg/.

Thanks.
>>
>>44119687
>IS yu-gi-oh still fun to play?
yes

>>44119726
>The pendulum mechanic
>broken
hahahaha no

>>44120387
I understand you anon

>>44120420
>what is new support for old cards

>>44120436
>formats are a thing
yes but the format that don't force to use only recent cards has so much infinite combos and zero-turn wins that it isn't even fun

>>44120468
this anon is right
>>
>>44124561
I call bullshit on 2 deck format. The upcoming format is going to have Kosmo, EmMages, Pepe, and Monarches. Your also going to have fringe uses of tellers and Burning still as well as some bullshit with cyberdragon infinity
>>
>>44120468
>Pendulum isn't broken! It just means even if you lose all your monsters you're still going to win!
>>
>>44119687
>still
>implying ever
>>
>>44126277
yes and every deck use it right?
expect you know Kosmo and Monarches that are tow of the top decks and tellers and Burning that still manage to be competitive
>>
>>44126315
Which is especially hilarious considering that Monarches dont even use the extra deck, unless your playing some faggoty offshoot, or that Zaborg spoiled princess shinannigans
>>
How would a toon deck fair now?
>>
>>44126362
from what I saw sometime ago it is better than you did expect but it has a severe problem if they lose there field spell

It's not that competitive but I heard that it's really fun
>>
>>44126400
Thanks, I'd have have more fun playing toons than trying to compete with the top tier decks anyway.
>>
I knew it was a good idea to post here.

You guys gave me more respect for this board.

I like that the thread is still up after I went to bed.
>>
>>44125912
yu-gi-oh isn't a video game. It's a card game.
>>
>>44127904
The video game happens to be a card game simulator friend
>>
>>44126457
well, I could see it working out with pendelums. Imagine you play toon world and then get your pendelums out and get a shit ton of tunes on the field to wreck your opponents day. All you need is a few attacks because they attack directly.
>>
>>44127921
I understand that, but i'm not talking about the video game.
>>
File: 38815764.jpg (1 MB, 1560x2126) Image search: [Google]
38815764.jpg
1 MB, 1560x2126
>normal monsters are still shit

>flavor barely exists

b-b-b-but duel terminal!

Duel Terminal is a japanese only thing, where the cards themselves barely tell a story (since NO FLAVOR text) and it only affects a small select few archetypes, while vast majority of archetypes are just random shit thrown in cause YGO needs to make 2-3 new archetypes per pack.

Gagagigo is one of the few monsters with a story, and since hes a normal monster there is literally no reason to run him. mainly since YGO refuses to remove the "Blue Eyes White Dragon HAS TO BE the strongest normal monster" rule.

I think it would fantastic if the YGO series actually gave a fuck about its monsters' stories but nope. gotta have more kids with crazy hairstyles saving the world from the next apocalypse

have some Iron Core
>>
>>44126457
yeah, realistically unless you go to tournaments you don't have to worry about having a top tier deck. All you have to worry about is that your deck can beat your friends.

I used to play in the competitive scene. I'd rarely make it past the second rounds, but I did have some fun most of the time, and I did get better cards because of the trade opportunities. It also helps your social skills, and forces nerdy autistic kids to try and communicate with each other, because theres an actual benefit to doing so.
>>
>>44127997
There are so many monsters, not all of them can have a story.

And yeah, there really is no need to ever run normal monsters, unless they have a really high attack or defense. I like to use the 1900 4 star normals SOMETIMES, but otherwise it's effects only baby.
>>
>>44127961
It's the same thing though.
>>
File: gamesetmatch.jpg (2 MB, 2820x1564) Image search: [Google]
gamesetmatch.jpg
2 MB, 2820x1564
>>44128030
>I like to use the 1900 4 star normals SOMETIMES

dude we have 2000 attack lvl4s, and also 2600 lvl 6s

and they're still shit

also I wish the match winners actually did shit. these guys look like fucking EDH commanders!
>>
>>44128030
Normal Pendulums is a pretty good casual-level deck.

>>44126457
Casual play's the best it's been in years, with tons of different decks with varying playstyles all getting routine support in packs. Much better than the horseshit that was ZeXal-era casual play.

>>44128268
The matchwinners have excellent designs, but there's just too many rulings issues with letting people play them.
>>
>>44128268
There's this many now?

I remember when Victory Dragon was being hyped up due to it being a unique effect.
>>
>>44128030
Back in my day, we used 1800 4 star normals and we liked it.

Fuck Mechanicalchaser.
>>
ahh shit I forgot E (star) HERO Pit Boss!

>>44128396
>I remember when Victory Dragon was being hyped up due to it being a unique effect.

ehh how many casuals even play matches though? honestly having a match winner is more of bragging rights that you went to tournament X

or you bought proxies. are official proxies any good? are they like 100% look like and feel like real cards?
>>
File: latest[1].png (2 MB, 681x1000) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2 MB, 681x1000
>>44128414
hahah I used mechanical chaser!

then i got some gemini elfs and archfriend warriors

Man I remember when I had an archfiend deck for a little while. It kicked ass.
>>
File: tarotygo.jpg (1 MB, 3010x821) Image search: [Google]
tarotygo.jpg
1 MB, 3010x821
>>44128030
>There are so many monsters, not all of them can have a story.

well I know not all of them can have a story

but would it really kill them to have SOME sense of story for a few packs rather than "oh look, we brought back black luster soldier for no reason lol!"

not saying that MtG also doesnt have that problem, but its usually limited to their 20XX sets (oh look we brought back slivers lol!)
>>
>>44128467
Machanicalchaser was a warning sign to me. Gemini Elf made me quit altogether. Any game with rampant power creep like that, I didn't want to be a part of.

Still fuck around on the various video games, though. I wish more had the option to turn off the forbidden/restricted list
>>
>>44120681
That's not a real card, is it?

That's a rehash of a rehash at this point.
>>
>>44128500
to be fair normals NEED power creep

how can they survive without it!
>>
>>44128521
as stated in the recent packs Black Luster Soldier, Gaia Knight (but he's ALWAYS been back ever since syncros), and Buster Blader return
>>
>>44128539
They need it now because everything else got crept.

Back then, the best deck was 4 star 1800 ATK beatdown supplemented with loads of removal, Jinzo, and Summoned Skull, who was only still played because he could kill Jinzo in combat.
>>
File: JinzoJector-MP15-EN-SR-1E.png (374 KB, 307x450) Image search: [Google]
JinzoJector-MP15-EN-SR-1E.png
374 KB, 307x450
>>44128570
fucking Jinzo and his stupid ass powers

they made a god damn fetch for him
>>
>>44128657
man I remember when Jinzo was the shit. Everyone wanted him. Then the tin came out and the card became worth even less.

Kinda like what happened to my ghost rare honest. It was valuable as shit before the tin came out. It's still valuable now because it's rare, but I think the effectiveness of the card also plays into the value.
>>
>>44128482
They made a second tarot-based archetype?
Oh yeah, wasn't this the thing that could go toe-to-toe with Dragon Rulers?
>>
>>44129503
Spellbooks are only Tarot-themed in TCG. The names are different entirely in OCG.
>>
>>44120468
Pendulums give you an easy way to dump all your resources onto the board so you can get regeki'd
>>
>>44130389
hahah, regeki is legal now right? how many can you have in your deck?
>>
>>44130485
Just 1. It's absolutely worthless on most meta decks unless you're using it to push for more damage on your final turn, and even then a lot of current monsters can't be destroyed by card effects.
>>
>>44130570
true that.

So what do you think, is it better to go with 40 cards or up to 60?
>>
>>44128500
what do you think the best yugioh games are?
>>
>>44130695
40. Always 40. Some casual decks can get away with as many as 50, but you should try to get as close to 40 as possible without sacrificing the integrity of your deck's ability to function. That's just basic Probability.
>>
Eh. Casual play is still fun, but if you go online you'll face instant board wipes every round unless you built your deck with a hell of a lot of defenses against those specific cards (rageiki and anti-rageiki for example).
>>
>>44130724
not him but Tag Force 5 was soooo fun

dem girl options yo. I'm pretty sure Red Hat went in bed with everyone at least once

Tag Force 6 was a tragedy sadly and thus the TF series died
>>
I'm reading up on legacy of the duelist now. It looks pretty cool, and you can make any deck you want right? I like that you can battle other people online.
>>
>>44130792
Speaking of that, anyone got a deck recipe for one-turn online decks?
>>
I don't see why everyone hates the fuck out of pendulums. I play a pendulum deck and if you destroy my scales then I'm essentially screwed and it's basically gg.
>>
>>44130861
Yeah. In a 40 card deck what's the chance that they'll have a card to destroy that card in the first hand?
>>
File: Revolver-Dragon_22838.jpg (46 KB, 250x366) Image search: [Google]
Revolver-Dragon_22838.jpg
46 KB, 250x366
>>44120509
I'll never forgive them for Revolver Dragon.
>>
>>44130887
Assuming you run 3 MST, it's actually fairly decent. In super-casual no-banlist play, you've also got to deal with Heavy and Duster.
>>
>>44130932
There's also Wavering Eyes to fuck them over.
>>
File: VampireHunter-MP14-EN-SR-1E.png (361 KB, 310x450) Image search: [Google]
VampireHunter-MP14-EN-SR-1E.png
361 KB, 310x450
Castlevania!

>>44130925
fuck dat

LASER RAIL CANNONS>dumb revovlers
>>
>>44131002
There's almost no reason to run wavering eyes in a non-pendulum deck unless you have a really big hateboner for pendulums and see them all the time.
>>
>>44131060
You could just sideboard it.
>>
>>44129948
actually the japanese names are based on french tarot cards
>>
>>44131080
Siding is less common in casual matches because casual Matches don't usually happen. Most people play singles if they're playing casually.
>>
>>44123464

It's due to censors. It's real name has a bunch of demon references in it. It's basically Hell Dragon in Japanese followed by "Red Demon" in English.
>>
>>44124290

Okay newfag neowalker know-nothing faglord. Not only do you know nothing about Magic other than your garbage modern/standard shit, you also know nothing about YGO since DREV is so fucking new and beyond the actual power eras of YGO like Chaos, BLS Chaos, full dragon Chaos, clown, hats, goat control, DED, DDT, Cyberstein, Airblade, etc.
>>
>>44130724
Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship Tournament 2004 is the best one in my mind, since you can turn off the ban list.

I started playing Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus but it's really grindy and the story is shit. I'd rather not have a story at all. Only reason I picked this game was because it's the latest game on DS, so I could throw it on my R4.
>>
>>44131792

That was the only YGO video game I played and it's not grindy at all.

As soon as you unlock the zombie structure deck you can just steamroll everyone except that one early Chaos guy near the salon who has a deck full of 1800/1900 beaters, anti-meta stun traps, and Chaos Sorcs.

I only found this out because back in the day the first decks to come out after the yugi/kaiba starters were zombie vs. dragons theme decks, and I bought dragons because "OMG DRAGONS" and my friend bought zombies and proceeded to rape me.

3 Regenerating Mummy
3 Pyramid Turtle
3 Ryu Kokki
3 Book of Life
0-3 Call of the Mummy
0-3 Despair from the Dark

Can roll most of the NPCs with floating 2400's, 2-3 special summon a turn, special summoned 2800, etc.
>>
>>44120436
>formats are a thing
name one thats officialy supported and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg
>>
File: Dance Princess.png (593 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
Dance Princess.png
593 KB, 544x544
>>44119687
Yu-Gi-Oh stopped being fun when I finally realized how Konamis business model worked. No matter how hard I tried, my favorite archetypes would never be even remotely competitive because Konami designed them that way.

At least my Agents are putting up a fight now that Trishula is back, but it still has a hell of a time dealing with the pendulum shit.
>>
>>44128565
red eyes also came back and blue eyes is getting support
>>
>>44128482
duel terminal is a thing and fuck from duelist alliance to crossed soul they had a continuing story that was sequel to duel teminal
>>
>>44132634

My god people are still whining about Ice Barriers?

You had three broken synchros, 1 of which was constantly being banned and the other two which are staples and also banned. That's better than most shit archetypes can claim.

Agents were also a top deck for one or two formats when they first came out.
>>
>>44132561

Limited.

BUT IT'S NOT ETERNAL HAHAHAHA ENJOY YOUR ROTATIONS FAGGOT
>>
>>44133017
and to be fair main deck wise, they are right on par with everything else that was made at that time
>>
>>44133032
so it'll cost an ever increasing sum of money to play in it.
try again
>>
>>44132974
>duel terminal is a thing

as said though it is a Japanese only thing

there are so many vague stories too

for example who are the worms? where did they come from? were the allies of justice created to fight them? why did it take until the fire dinosaurs to kill them? why are the fabled involved with that story?
>>
>>44132561
Pauper. Get fucked.
>>
>>44133150
no it isn't japan only.
aliens, space, yes, giant fucking meteors kill a lot of thing, and asshole deities get involved to entertain themselves
>>
>>44133189
not support officially
reading comprehension isn't something you're good at is it?
>>
>>44133310
>look at me, I'm pretending
Pauper has it's own ban list ran by WotC. It's an official supported format.

I'll reiterate: get fucked.
>>
>>44132634
>tfw your favourite archetypes are Cloudians and Vylons

You will never know true suffering, friend
>>
>>44133565
Mtgo runs pauper dailies, my shop runs pauper leagues
>>
>>44133072
>ever increasing sum

Limited costs like pennies to play. They use booster packs.
>>
>>44133664
>tfw Fableds
At least we had some degenerate fun time until every banlist killed the deck into oblivion
>>
>>44128414
>Fuck Mechanicalchaser
>not using Umi
Fucking casual
>>
>>44119687
First off:
>Gravekeeper's deck
mah nigga.
Secondly, as everyone else has said, competitive has fallen into a sinkhole ever since three years ago, and the killing blow is on the horizon with a literal "you can't play unless you're mirror matching" archetype.
This is not to say that casual play isn't fun, even my cookie deck is nice to play against my friend's Cyber Dragon deck and watching him cry whenever I activate "Hidden Temples of Necrovalley" while playing GKs whenever he plays Artifacts makes me smile.
Long and short of it, it's fine if you're not playing with a compfag nofunallowed tryhard, easiest ways to tell the difference is if they play an archetype 5D's or earlier. Xyz monsters did nothing wrong.
>>
>>44129948
>TCG. The names are different entirely in OCG.
What were arcana force called originally?
>>
Im making up my deck presently. Whats generally regarded as best site to buy single cards from?
>>
>>44121549

>implying sport maniacs don't pay hundreds of dollars for events
>>
>>44122073

This is a meme, right?
>>
>>44122573

But you have many formats which make of use many cards. Just look at Limited.
>>
>>44126173
>yes but the format that don't force to use only recent cards has so much infinite combos and zero-turn wins that it isn't even fun

Modern...
>>
>>44120290

Ooooh, I got the reference.
>>
>>44120387

Usual argument for idiots. Konami simply prints better stuff or gives senseless erratas to cards. YGO has become a fucking joke.
>>
>>44120468

The game is totally broken and ignores its own rules. Special summons should be SPECIAL and not more usual than NORMAL summons. YGO lost every kind of orientation. There's no real game development from turn to turn anymore. Back in the old days you've had to fucking normal summon and tribute summon your cards. Play more face down and shit.
>>
>>44120681

>modern YGO cards
>use a wall of text because the game is totally broken
>game designers scarred to fuck up once again

Why do ppl still play this shit?!
>>
>>44121252

1. Decks don't "rotate out of MtG" but of formats
2. Standard decks are also viable in other formats (like Modern)
>>
>>44128539

You don't need a strong power creep for that. Magic uses slight power creep on vanillas which get mainly used in Limited. YGO is just a fucking mess with no formats and a bad company behind the game.
>>
>>44130389
>>44130485

>regeki
>>
>>44131266

Shut your whore mouth idiot. Standard/Modern are the most important Constructed formats in Magic.

>inb4 "B-but Eternal formats need a shitload of money"
Sure, but there are also cheaper ones like Pauper.
>>
>>44133032

It's not called rotation.
>>
>>44119726
Really? How busted is the new pendulum mechanic?

I mean I though that XYZs were broken at first but eventually it kind of evened out.
>>
>>44139059
The mechanic itself is pretty damn balanced and provides a lot of good depth to the game without being completely easy mode.

Problem being that Konami decided that skill and cool combos is less important than just shitting out giant untouchable beatsticks every turn forever (Qli) or swarming out untouchable Floodgate Fuel (Magispecters), or making it easier to shit out 3+ Rank 4 Xyz (an already problematic aspect of the game) every fucking turn forever (Performages). And then there's random shit like Apex Avian.

The other pendulum archetypes are fun and fairly balanced (except Zefras, which are sadly really shit and lose to DM-era decks).
>>
>>44139175
Yeah, Qli took me right out of the game for a period. Frustrating as hell on the sims since everyone was playing that or whatever rogue deck helped against it.

Yet to play against Majespecters, but I can see where they can tear people a new one even if they just ran in-archetype cards.

But the pendulum specific archetypes I've only enjoyed actually playing are Igknight and Dinomist. But think it's for the revolving door effects they throw around so it keeps the game active. Still, they got nothing on my sexy Moon-Light dancers coming soon.
>>
>>44138330

I remember when Extended was the most popular format, Legacy was considered new and nobody played it and had no sanctioned support, and formats were named by numbers. Modern didn't even exist.
>>
>>44136224

eBay for the expensive single cards. Anywhere for the $0.25 necessary common shit like Dark Hole, Mystical Space Typhoon, etc.
>>
File: RunawayKarakuri-EXVC-EN-C-UE.jpg (1015 KB, 680x992) Image search: [Google]
RunawayKarakuri-EXVC-EN-C-UE.jpg
1015 KB, 680x992
>>44140633
yea the 2ndary market for yugioh is pretty cheap

cause ygo has plenty of "awesome shit people love" card packs that come out every so often like the battle packs.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.