[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some RP systems that are easy for an idiot like me to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_m06kfwUuRf1qlz1v3o1_500.jpg (77 KB, 500x443) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m06kfwUuRf1qlz1v3o1_500.jpg
77 KB, 500x443
What are some RP systems that are easy for an idiot like me to GM?

I tried to run a D&D game for some friends recently and my players kept having to remind me of game mechanics. It was very casual but I probably should have put more time into committing stuff to memory. All that information is very daunting to keep on your mind while also keeping everyone engaged

Bonus points if there's an option for me to run a Spaceman campaign
>>
Try Fate maybe? You need to work up a skill list suitable to things spacemen do, and work with players to establish things about the setting they can reflect in their Aspects, but it's pretty easy to get going.
>>
Dungeon world or a similar system running on powered by the apocalypse. Bigger emphasis on storytelling, with dice rolls just indicating failure, partial success or success, and the details left to players/gm
>>
Try Call of Cthulhu.

For bonus points: Cthulhu Rising
>>
File: traveller_cover.jpg (28 KB, 500x656) Image search: [Google]
traveller_cover.jpg
28 KB, 500x656
I'm looking up stuff, what the general opinion on traveller? It kinda sounds right up my alley

>>44118676
>>44118685
Thanks, reading into these now

>>44118737
I've heard fun things about CoC
>>
>>44118826
>I'm looking up stuff, what the general opinion on traveller? It kinda sounds right up my alley
I really love Traveller. The basic rule is "roll 2d6 + any modifiers for your skill or stat" and if you roll an 8 or higher you succeed. The ship combat is a little involved, but it's a lot simpler than D&D 3.5.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cm47faavjhsdl7f/Traveller+Main+Rulebook+v2.pdf

Here's the rulebook for the Mongoose edition.
>>
>>44119096
Oh sweet, thanks!
>>
File: oh shi-.jpg (74 KB, 507x381) Image search: [Google]
oh shi-.jpg
74 KB, 507x381
>>44119194
No problem. I am also an idiot when it comes to remembering rules, but I can handle Traveller and make it fun for the players, so good luck.

If you have any questions I can try to fumble for the answers until someone more competent comes along.
>>
>>44119287
Well as long as you're offering, how heavy is the social standing / imperium stuff in gameplay? Could I substitute that trait as social skills instead and kind of underplay the imperium aspects?

I've played a lot of Dark Heresy and I'm a little weary of overbearing space bureaucracies. If it's important to the game that's cool, I can work with it. Guess I'm just wondering if possible to make it more like Star Trek for lack of a better reference
>>
What's a good simple system for fantasy? I too happen to be an idiot.
>>
>>44119665
Barbarians of Lemuria is good, it has an existing sword and sorcery setting with it, but i've kinda ditched it and have started a generic fantasy game with it.
>>
>>44119546
Social Standing is basically your charisma/ family name/ how people perceive you. Somebody with high Soc could be a minor prince, or the heir to a fortune, or the captain of a spacefleet, or maybe just a prominent gangster. It's the go-to diplomacy stat because it reflects how influential other people think you are.
>>
>>44119893
I should note that a lot of the military and public-view careers have the possibility of raising your Soc score during character generation, which reflects you getting promotions and becoming more influential in politics, the military, the media, etc.
>>
>>44118573
>>44118826
Look into Cortex/FUZION RPG.
>>
>>44118573
I'd say the easiest system to run is the Cypher system. It is simple to learn, teach and alter and almost none of the work is on the gm, and puts a lot of power into the players. I could roll out of bed and gm a Cypher system game with a hangover no problem.

Other than being a universal system and being easy to run it doesn't have a huge amount going for it, although I do like how characters are described as a "adjective noun who verbs". The titular cyphers in game are kind of lame and don't always translate well to different genres or settings is my main problem with it. But it's still a win in my book when I'm just being a lazy fuck.

If you're unfamiliar, it is from Numera. A game with a rather boring system in my opinion, but the cut all the sci-fantasy trappings off and gave gms levers to play with a published the system as a universal system.
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96 KB, 869x425) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96 KB, 869x425
>>44119738
Seconding Barbarians of Lemuria.
>>
Anything powered by the apocalypse tends to be pretty good.

D&D 4e is the easiest version of dnd to DM.

Otherwise Paranoia, where the dice rolls are just there to give your players a sense of unease before you do whatever feels funny and appropriate.
>>
File: DnDBasic.jpg (146 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
DnDBasic.jpg
146 KB, 600x777
>>44122679
>D&D 4e is the easiest version of dnd to DM.
What?
>>
>>44123389
Sorry.
Better than AD&D, 3.x, or 5e. Basic is before my time.
>>
File: strength bx vs ad&d.png (333 KB, 781x679) Image search: [Google]
strength bx vs ad&d.png
333 KB, 781x679
>>44123515
Basic has the same core system as AD&D, it just has a lot less moving parts. Moldvay Basic (or B/X), the one pictured there, is a grand total of 128 pages including monsters, treasure and everything. It's split into two different sets, the Basic Set, covering levels 1-3, which is 64 pages, and the Expert Set, covering 4-14, which is another 64 pages. Like AD&D, it does have its share of old school wonkiness, but the minimalism of its rules make it a good deal simpler than any new school edition.

You'd consider 4e easier than 5e? Maybe it's a matter of different styles of GMing, or me having plenty of experience with earlier editions, but 5e seems more approachable to me. 4e has a lot of intricately-detailed and tactical exploits and spells that you have to understand if you're to have any ability to predict the kinds of things the party can do (and if you can't do that, you're GMing blind).
>>
>>44125901
4E is far and away the easiest system to GM. Deal w/ it.
>>
>>44125997
Assuming you're talking about D&D alone, I disagree. If you're including all RPGs, you're on fucking drugs.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.