[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General /exg/ Looking Sideways Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1445803654664.jpg (75 KB, 736x1041) Image search: [Google]
1445803654664.jpg
75 KB, 736x1041
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Do you think Sidereals dream in pivot tables?
>>
>>44114773
>Do you think Sidereals dream in pivot tables?
What?
>>
>>44115737
I think OP is a Raksha
>>
The hell is a "pivot table"? Op, are you high again?
>>
>>44115792
MURK DERM RAKKIES WARBLIN KOANS KEEPIN HONES' FOLK UP AT TH' CRACK O' DAWN WONDERIN SHIT LIKE IF THEIR TEAKETTLE FEELS PAIN.

T'AIN'T NO GOOD I TELLS YA.
>>
Maybe it's just a highly effective conversation starter, but the only conversation is 'what the fuck is going on?'.
>>
Morke:
>Fate-Shifting Solar Arete is going to get, shall we say, a slight "snip snip."
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?768590-Exalted-3rd-Edition-Discussion-Thread&p=19634364#post19634364
>>
>>44115879
According to google, it's some sort of table used by spreadsheets in formula shit. So he may not be high, but he's certainly a nerd.
>>
>>44115976
What did that charm do again? Was it the predictionism one?
>>
>>44116218
oh, I found it

Fate-Shifting Solar Arete
Cost: 1wp; Mins: Larceny 5, Essence 3
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: None
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Lightning-Hand Sleight, Unshakable
Rogue’s Spirit
The Lawgiver adjusts the scales of balance in her favor,
and fate is made her accomplice. This Charm enhances
any kind of action. Before rolling, the player chooses a
number from 2 to 5. That number is treated like a 10 each
time it appears in the subsequent roll. The Solar may use
this Charm once per full night’s rest.
An Essence 4+ repurchase allows the Solar to change two
different numbers from 2 to 5 into 10s.
>>
>>44116259
The question isn't 'why was it cut' the question is 'how did it make it through so many revisions?'.
>>
>>44115918
Heh, nice :P
>>
>>44116291
it's not getting cut, they're just not making it that good at crafting/workings
>>
>>44116535

The obvious thing (to me, anyway) would be to specify that it can only be used on at most one interval of an extended roll.
>>
>>44117138
or just no using it on extended rolls. It's once per day as a balancing factor, but that's kind of pointless when you only make a roll every week. If it was restricted enough to actually hurt you to use it would be something different.
>>
File: 1446509090728.jpg (146 KB, 650x900) Image search: [Google]
1446509090728.jpg
146 KB, 650x900
>>44115737
It's a conversation starter.

Like: do androids dream of electric sheep?

>>44115792
Meowbe.

>>44115879
Pivot tables are a data visualization aid that renders pages of data into a (somewhat) legible spreadsheet that delivers a summary of the data.

>>44116214
I accept that.
>>
File: 3lpDs.jpg (154 KB, 627x929) Image search: [Google]
3lpDs.jpg
154 KB, 627x929
>>44116291
Because they started with a small playtest group of yes-men and progressively cut playtesters when the leaks started, so no one with an eye to push the limits of the system ever chanced to look through Larceny and realize, holy shit, you can use that stuff for fightan - and from there it'd have been a short hop, skip, and a jump to realizing actually you can use it for literally any-fucking-thing that could benefit from completely destroying the system's concept of expected successes.
>>
File: The_queen_and_i_by_aditya777.jpg (158 KB, 800x973) Image search: [Google]
The_queen_and_i_by_aditya777.jpg
158 KB, 800x973
>>44118434
open development is a bad idea though
>>
Is White Reaper Style any good? I don't see many good things for it besides the form charm and the capstone. What else does it have going for it?
>>
Daily reminder that Morke and Holden are liars and walking cancer balls
>>
>>44118634

White Reaper tears even the more dangerous (high Might, led by a commander, etc.) battle groups to shreds, and its entry Charm gives Brawl a wedgie for a bonus.
>>
>>44118717

So if I'm playing a Melee based character with a spear as a main weapon, would it hurt to dip in?
>>
>>44118762

"Dipping" into MA in general is kind of an expensive proposition; think of it more like buying an artifact than picking up another fighting style: if you're only in it for one or two Evocations/Charms, it's probably not worth it even if it's great.

But MA come out of Solar XP, so it's not really that onerous to actually master one alongside your native fighting styles.
>>
>>44118762
Don't dip, go balls deep. Maybe not as soon as you can, but you'll want all of it eventually.

It's nice to be able to solo a full-fucking-force Wyld Hunt, ya'know? And I'm not talking 500 peasants and a couple DBs.
>>
>>44119689

That's what I was thinking, but MA won't be my supernal, so I can only dip until Ess3. It just so happened that a lot of my characters stats lined up well for it; spear, heavy armor, likely to fight a lot, et cetera.
>>
>>44119735
Just remember that your MA and Melee charms are incompatible, so be careful that you don't overlap them too much.
>>
>>44120039

What does Melee have that's good against Battlegroups? I'm currently set up for multi-attacks using Invincible Fury of the Dawn and Peony Blossom Technique.
>>
I WANNA HELP RESTORE RAKSI'S SANITY THROUGH HANDHOLDING AND TENDER LOVINGS!
>>
>>44120156

She's gone anon, Her and MaHa are basically Chimera on the inside.

How awkward must it be to be her Solar mate?
>>
>>44120156
>not bullying Lilith to collect her tears
>>
If I'm planning on playing a melee-weapon-focused Dawn, is it better to take a Martial Arts supernal, or a Melee supernal? I'm really interested in the Martial Arts styles, but I don't want to fuck myself over.
>>
>>44120224
Who's the absolute worst Lunar mate?
>>
>>44120343

>Lunar mates
>Terrible

Lunars are the best thing to happen to Solars since Sol Invictus.
>>
>>44120343

Sensible answer: Ma Ha Suchi, because obvious reasons

Underrated answer: Tamuz if the Solar is a grill
>>
>>44120343
All of them.
>>
>>44120072
From my experience of throwing admittedly shitty Battlegroups against my players:

>Melee doesn't have any specific charms to help with fighting a BG.
>Don't bother using Decisives against BGs. They don't get the +Acc dice that Withering attacks do and the bonus to damage is shitty.
>You (as a Combat Dude) don't have too much to fear if they don't have a leader.
>But they're still a pain in the ass, bogging you down for turns and slowing down your Init gain.

There's probably more but I'm too distracted to think of it right now.
>>
File: 1377175468555.png (3 KB, 184x172) Image search: [Google]
1377175468555.png
3 KB, 184x172
Do fox girl Lunars actually exist, or are people just shitting with me?
>>
>>44120156

I don't know about you, but I'd fuck the hell out of Mareva, the fire-aspect DB from Dreams of the First Age. Funnily enough, RPGnet thinks that her profile is pure sarcasm, but I can't think of anyone who needs the Solar D more.

An Eclipse caste could probably fuck the burgeoning crazy right out of her.
>>
>>44120318
Melee is probably mechanically better, but you're a Solar PC bro. You're mechanically better than like 98% of the things around you. Do what you want.
>>
>>44120072
A Battle-Group is really just a very buff opponent without charms and a huge dicepool; you don't really have anything that stands out as super awesome useful against battlegroups specifically until you get withering flurries.
>>
>>44120522

You mean Marama.
>>
>>44120494

Yeah. Seven Devils Clever is in the Exalted 2E core book, for instance, and she's a fox-girl. There's a busty catgirl in Scroll of Exalts who is totally slated to be a PC Abyssal's love interest, for another.

The funny part is that the apparent MILF is a crocodile-woman.
>>
>>44120522
was she the one so brain washed into wanting to be a Solar cock-slut that she started torturing servitor races for "taking the DB's place at serving the Solars"? Wonder what happened to her during the Usurpation
>>
>>44120615
>MILF is a crocodile woman

Madame Vert?
She isn't a croc, she's a Tree Strider. Basically an arboreal velociraptor
>>
File: 1447258809417.jpg (268 KB, 777x578) Image search: [Google]
1447258809417.jpg
268 KB, 777x578
>>44120615
>Seven Devils Clever is in the Exalted 2E core book, for instance, and she's a fox-girl.

And what a fox-girl she was, huge tits and fluffy tail.

Wonder what happened to her Solar.
>>
>>44120670

She became a concentration-camp commander. There's a place called Marama's Fell, where she was in charge of a death camp for the servitor races.

She eventually became a spectre, left her body behind and wandered right into the Labyrinth. Just imagine: All of this could have been avoided if, in Dreams of the First Age, someone just gave her a good, hard dicking. While her stats are all based around having sex, she's a DB. A decent diplomancer Solar could, ahem, 'win out' easily.
>>
>>44120726
>Wonder what happened to her Solar.

Speaking of Solars and their Lunar mates, do you guys find it particularly odd when a DM uses an "unassigned" Lunar from the books and slaps them onto one of the player characters as their wife/rival/both?
>>
>>44120798

Not really. Given the nature of how it works, there's a good chance that any one of them could be your mate. My Solar's Lunar mate was Leviathan, of all people. There was actually this really amusing back-and-forth since my PC was younger (and not nearly as wise) than him, yet still remembered (Past Life 3) what he was like as a young man. Sort of a reverse mentor thing.
>>
>>44120798
Isn't every Lunar unassigned, if the ST wants them to be?

God knows Swan's not long for the world in any game one of my old STs ran, he really didn't like the guy. Yes that ST would also be the kinda guy to say 'Your past life was Desus'.
>>
>>44120928

Technically, Desus was made worse and worse as the editions rolled on. In 1E, we didn't even know much about him: Lilith's first introduction implied she missed her Solar mate.

A problem is when the First Age Solars seem a bit TOO villainous at times. Admiral Arkady, like this >>44120868 guy mentioned, would rape female DBs and use his Eclipse caste power to swear them to silence.

Desus was an incredible hero at some point. They all were. It's the Great Curse that made him go batshit. His previous incarnation was apparently executed for being a double-*double*-agent.
>>
File: RLY.jpg (54 KB, 200x290) Image search: [Google]
RLY.jpg
54 KB, 200x290
>>44120726
>that search engine

Well, isn't that clever.
>>
>>44121004
I know, I know, but Desus himself carries all this baggage of basically being a shitty avatar of the Great Curse. And with how bugfuck crazy ol' Lilly became in later books, it's an even more irritating thing to do for no reason.
>>
File: 7c1ad31ab0b07d6bc08a289bc9f97e11.jpg (533 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
7c1ad31ab0b07d6bc08a289bc9f97e11.jpg
533 KB, 1000x1414
>>44120318

Most of the Martial Arts styles are good, self-contained trees. A Dawn who rolls into combat with the full Shining Point or Steel Devil Style backing him up is not going to feel gimped relative to his Melee twin.

Melee does, however, have a perfect defense, a great onslaught-negator, the best defend other Charms, and can be used flexibly with a variety of weapons. Its multiattack and damage-adding Charms are good, even if some of the MA can get higher numbers.

For most Exalts, I would say it comes down to taste and role – if you're starting with an Artifact weapon and Evocations, you don't care about variety of weapons; if your Circle is all competent combatants; you don't care about Defend Other as much; etc. etc.

However, for a Supernal, you want an Ability you can invest big meaty chunks of XP into – and most MA styles end at 9 or 12 Charms. Melee's huge. You can literally always be adding a new trick to your repertoire every other session for half a year or more. So for a Dawn I'd lean strongly toward Melee, personally.

>>44120494

I play one in a somewhat-3e play-by-chat game. We use the 3e rules but sort of skirt around the exact extent of her Charms. Cropped pic related for character portrait.

This is the game that taught me to love 3e's Lore rule, btw, the one that lets you make stuff up. Since we play once a week, it's no issue to type up a description of something I want in-game, then catch the ST online to make a Lore roll. I use it primarily to invent NPCs, local customs, and locations. My character is substantially older than the other PCs (they are all Solars, age 25 and under) and a native of the area, so it is tremendously cool to be able to just say, “Why of course I own a share of a local winery,” or “Yes, the queen wants you executed, but I'm besties with her aunt, lay low today and I'll see what it would take to get a royal pardon,” and be able to narrate the existence of the winery or who the aunt is, etc.
>>
File: DragonSlayer_by_PhoenixSpine.jpg (210 KB, 414x570) Image search: [Google]
DragonSlayer_by_PhoenixSpine.jpg
210 KB, 414x570
>>44120318
If you're just going to buy one Style, Melee is better, but not to the point that it matters unless your opponent is throwing optimized Dawn-tier things at you.

Melee has a solid offense, but where it shines is its amazing defensive suite. Over-and-Under Method is the best panic button in the game, you get access to Heavenly Guardian Defense, and things like Fivefold Bulwark Stance, War Lion Stance, and Ready in Eight Directions Stance are all really strong, really effective options that make you and your allies a nightmare to attack.

Honestly? Single Point Shining Into the Void's full suite has a better actual offense if you go balls-to-the-wall on your Join Battle roll and then just burst everything. Steel Devil style is similar. Single Point Shining Into the Void has a reflexive clash (that is admittedly expensive) and Steel Devil has a parry booster. Two slashing swords lets you practice both, and they both get medium armor. See how nicely that works? That's when Martial Arts Supernal shines - if you're willing to keep buying and mixing styles, and especially inventing new ones to build further synergies.

It's also interesting because you can buy it out of Solar XP and spend your actual XP on all your other stuff if you want. It's not as neatly packaged as Melee and no one style is as all-encompassing, and armor and weapon restrictions mean you have to have a clear picture going in and can't switch around constantly, but it's by no means inferior. The tradeoffs balance out. Really, all you're missing is E5 Martial Arts - see if your ST will let you homebrew Essence 3-5 SMA styles.
>>
>>44121182

I actually wonder how bad the Great Curse is. I mean, you only lose control for a scene, right? And even then, not ALL the Great Curses are actively harmful. Brightsword, for one, just stomps off and starts sulking in his tent. It's not like you flip out and decide to kill everyone.

Even Desus doesn't have to torture and excruciate someone RIGHT NOW, for instance. He could settle for really fucking up someone he already intended to kill, for instance.
>>
File: 1394047397318.png (3 KB, 194x205) Image search: [Google]
1394047397318.png
3 KB, 194x205
>>44121282

Lunar players are the best.

Kill your husbando yet?
>>
>>44122214

The insidious nature of the Curse is that it feels GOOD. It completely refreshes your Willpower as a mechanical abstraction of that, but in-universe, Limit Break is a massive catharsis. It's like getting a perfect night of sleep, fucking that girl you always wanted to have, crying out the end of every sad movie you've ever watched, and slugging that guy you hate all at the same time.

It feels GREAT to let that stress build up and build up and let it all come exploding out. That's the danger of the Curse. Sure, maybe that time you didn't do any real harm, but the more you indulge in that catharsis, the more it becomes "okay," a habit that you're rationalizing, rather than a healthy outlet.

The Great Curse is habit-forming behavior an Exalt could possibly have bundled up together. The fact that it's an in-universe curse is totally secondary, because Exalts could (would and should, i m o) work that way anyway.
>>
>>44122214
Mechanically in 3e it's as destructive as the ST says it is, and they can just delay it until they want to fuck you with it.

But I think the way it's fluffed, it'd be more accurate to have it modify your Intimacies even after you've calmed the fuck down, until after a few mental breakdowns you've got a Defining Principle of 'mortals don't matter' or 'nothing's really worth fighting for' or that intimacy of loyalty your Night had towards your circle-mates has shifted into this THING where it seems reasonable to visit the homes of anyone that even looks at them funny and remove all their fingers.
>>
>>44122340

Yeah, but the Great Curse happens when you don't act on your beliefs. Like, a sample Great Curse is "When I don't get something I want." Desus, similarly, doesn't build up Great Curse from being a dick - "When kindness and diplomacy fail to accomplish a goal".

It's like a guy who goes postal after years of being...Wait. Ohhhhhhhh. Now I get it.
>>
>>44122378

I actually like that. There's precedent for Limit Break having lasting effects, in some other Solar Charms. I might add that to my houserules doc.

>>44122394

Right. The trick is that instead of going "Hey maybe I should learn how to channel that uncontrollable stress I get when someone lies to me," Solars end up going "NO. NOBODY WILL LIE EVER." They can't help but care MORE rather than caring less about these things that they honestly can't do anything about; a shitload of Limit Triggers are things that are out of anyone's hands.
>>
>>44122285

I like the Solar/Lunar Mate thing, but mechanically it's a problem. If your ex-wife from several thousand years wants to jump your bones right away, you're giving the PC a direct line to a high-Essence Lunar. At the very least, you have to introduce a new - and extremely important - NPC who's going to stick around for just a while.

Yes, this is even if we're talking about a newbie Solar or Lunar. In fact, this might actually be their first introduction to a whole new support structure, since the Silver Pact is a thing. Before, it was just 'a group of mismatched heroes struggle to figure out their powers and stay one step ahead of the Dragon-blooded'.

You suddenly realize you're not a freak of nature or demon-possessed, there are people who know what is happening to you.
>>
>>44122461
>I actually like that.

aww shucks. If you expand it into something more concrete, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'm busy procrastinating enough over some demon homebrew and building the NPCs of my current game.

>>44122469

I'm planning the oppoosite for one of my players, with a young Lunar looking for help from the PC who is their mate.

>I got all glowy like two months ago then this anathema started trying to abduct me and I felt like it was a good idea to come here and then I saw you and I think you're someone who can help and do you know what's going on?
>>
>>44120726
Golden Widow Method. Trufax.
>>
>>44122469

Elders from "several thousand years ago" are stupidly rare. I would invoke ST fiat in this scenario and make everyone's mate fairly young. Maybe one or two essence dots up on a Ess 1 Solar at the most.

As for the knowledge aspect. I don't see that as much of a problem. Most Solars can figure out what is happening to them (in broad terms) by pooling Past Life visions. Zeniths don't even need that since Papa Sol gives them a canned explanation about being chosen. Nothing the Silver Pack can tell you makes that Anathema lyfe any easier.

Hell your mates might not even know that much , since like I said pre-usurpation elders are hella rare and chances are most modern Lunars only know about Solars from stories their mentors heard from their own mentors
>>
>>44122118
Really, though you should have to go through some form of initiation into the Perfected Lotus Blossom before getting any SMAs.
>>
>>44122378
Honestly, I'm having a hard time figuring out why slipping into the homes of my enemies and removing their fingers wouldn't be such a hot idea. Enemies without fingers get all kinds of penalties, and not just on combat rolls. There's virtually no way they could pose a serious threat. And they're not dead, so it counts as mercy. For enemies of a Solar Exalt to only have their fingers cut off, they should be so lucky!

Let's see how many we can get in one night.
>>
>>44122866
>t. Abyssal in disguise
>>
>>44122940
Wouldn't work out. Resonance out the wazoo.
>>
>>44122285
>Kill your husbando yet?

I tenderly hold hands with him. Poor boy.

>>44122469

>I like the Solar/Lunar Mate thing, but mechanically it's a problem... you're giving the PC a direct line to a high-Essence Lunar.
>At the very least, you have to introduce a new - and extremely important - NPC who's going to stick around for just a while.

I don't think I've ever seen a player come to the table with an elder as a Lunar Mate, even though it's a running meme in the fandom.

Usually, unless they're being played by other characters, I see Lunar Mates represented as background dots. “I learned Crane Style because my Lunar taught me,” etc. We have a running joke in my current game that I couldn't actually think of a character so the ST made me play husbando's Mentor dots.

>>44122640
>I'm planning the opposite for one of my players, with a young Lunar looking for help from the PC who is their mate.

This is also excellent.

>>44122866
>For enemies of a Solar Exalt to only have their fingers cut off, they should be so lucky! Let's see how many we can get in one night.

You, you're the reason Golden Widows exist.
>>
>>44122866
Your perceived enemies now include everything with eyes in a 50 mile radius of the circle. Any of them could be a Lunar and you know all of THEM have it out for you. And all those mortals are probably spies for who knows what or cultists or whatever.

I mean yeah you could spy on them to check that, but that's time spent not actively preventing all the threats to your circle. And that's unreasonable.

Yep, you're right, best remove the fingers. A nice bonus is that anyone who has fingers left after this are clearly foreign spies or have healing magic and you can't trust that.
>>
Would it be an acceptable use of a Terrestrial sorcerous working to boost my Appearance up from 3 to 5 if I pay the XP to get there in addition to whatever XP I need to pay for the working? My Eclipse's trying to use the power of tender loving to turn a local Fair Folk duchess to the side of good (or at least, make her stop doing shit that fucks over humans), but I feel like his Appearance could be better and I'd rather not wait like a year to get Appearance 5.
>>
>>44123247

Just ask the ST to ignore training times just this once via a dramatic hotness-enhancing montage. You know the one.

To actually answer your question, yes, a Working could do that.
>>
>>44123247
I mean it's a noble goal, but that's a temporary fix at best. Turn her into a sword.

Otherwise, I'd allow it. I'd probably also allow you to get the extra XP back after the skipped-over training time was passed. But I also might describe your newfound beauty as being overtly magical.
>>
>>44123331
>might describe your newfound beauty as being overtly magical.
How would you do that?
>>
>>44123353
Fuck, man. How are you doing the working?

Maybe you every emotion and expression ripples across your face like water on a great lake, catching the light in pleasing ways.

Maybe when people look at you, they don't see you, they see all the features they find most attractive. This isn't 'overtly magical' except to the player, to be honest.
>>
So i'm sure that I am not the first to have this idea, but if the Yozi can create Akuma, could the neverborn not do the same? Say to a dragonblood it offers them access to the Labyrinth circle of necromancy instead of the celestial circle of sorcery. Is this just a terrible idea that should never be attempted? Or would most everyone here facepalm if this happened at their table?
>>
>>44123353
>>44123451
Depending on Finesse and how the player wanted it, I'd probably do something akin to how the Gilmyne or w/e work
They look different to everyone, but one thing is consistent: they're always a very attractive(to the specific viewer) person, dancing in a column of flame.

So, basically, everyone sees them slightly differently, but the different perceptions are still close enough that people could agree they're seeing the same person, unless they get into specific details that they find attractive in different ways(eg if one guy finds your girl's thin face to be attractive, but another guy finds the wideness of her face appealing, they might realize something's off, but most people aren't going to talk about those things directly, so it's fine in most instances)
>>
>>44123671
Hair/eye colour might throw that off.
>>
>>44123516

They sort of already have that, except you have to already be dead. The deathlords are the famous ones, but they have the regular ghosts that worship them get neato keen powers.
>>
>>44123720
Hmmm, do said ghosts have a name? I haven't read up on them much but I almost wanna say you're kind of describing Nephwracks? Favored of the neverborn and the void?
>>
>>44123737

Yeah, nephwracks was it. They aren't remade-as-tools as much as Akuma are, but the powerful ones are the ones that are most 'true to the vision and goals' of the neverborn.

Again, kind of, but not exactly.
>>
>>44123768
Gotcha. Yeah I had the idea of a kind of corrupted Dragonblood who was seeking greater power in necromancy. So I wanted to know what everyone else would think if they saw such a thing at their table. I figured it'd be another Monstrance to corrupt the spark. I suppose then it's kind of like what happens after the dragonblood dies, does their exaltation somehow actually become a thing that could be given to another person? because the exaltation of the dragonblooded is quite different from those of the celestials.
>>
>>44123841

For DBs... Their exaltation is tied to their life - their children get new ones, their own fades out when their life does. That said, they do keep traits that they had in life as a ghost - most importantly, their Essence score.

Best idea I have is the ghost of a DB learns Necrodonk and then gets their hands on an artifact that allows them access to Labyrinth circle Necrodank. Precedent: the Mantle of Brigid - lets whoever wears it cast one circle more-powerful Sorcery than they otherwise could have.
>>
>>44124106
Well, The Black Treatise did speculate on the possible existence of the Black Mantle, a grave goods version of Brigid's Mantle that could exist in the underworld, and raises the wearer up a circle of necromancy rather than sorcery.
>>
>>44124106
Hmmm, not a bad idea. I had figured that because it would have been a monstrance it would corrupt the exaltation, but because it just disappears when they die anyway that seems like far too much work for so little payoff. I'll look into the Black Mantle idea. Thanks!
>>
>>44120868
>My Solar's Lunar mate was Leviathan, of all people.
Why is this funny to me?
>>
>>44116535
He explicitly fucking said it's getting cut.
>>
>>44120615
>Yeah. Seven Devils Clever is in the Exalted 2E core book, for instance, and she's a fox-girl.
With hairy, hairy arms.
>>
>>44122469
A thousands-of-years-old Elder is ostensibly wise enough to take a while to decide whether you're worth getting intimately involved with for centuries, regardless of the fact that they're metaphysically incapable of just completely not giving a shit about you (which is all the Bond actually is).

Hell, if they're that old they've probably been through several bondmates. They've been around this block before and are prepared for it.
>>
How long has it been since the Usurpation?
>>
So if the Crew of the Enterprise (The Next Generation timeline) all wound up as Exalts, who would be what?
>>
>>44125313
Picard is an Eclipse. Data is some variety of Alchemical. Geordi is probably a Twilight.
>>
>>44125293
>Hell, if they're that old they've probably been through several bondmates. They've been around this block before and are prepared for it.
They can be pretty fucking old without having been around for the usurpation.
>>
>>44125319
And Worf is a Full Moon Lunar.
>>
>>44125319
The Red Shirts would be Heroic Mortals, yes?
>>
>>44125551
Nah, just mortals. Heroic Mortals do cool shit. Mortals die en masse.
>>
>>44125581
Ah, would Riker be a Dawn Caste, or am I being stupid?
>>
>>44125597
Riker is Picard's Lunar Mate.
>>
>>44125597
Honestly doubt there's a Dawn Caste in the lot. Nobody has that level of dedication to violence (besides Worf).
>>
>>44125622
You know, I'm also picturing a Twilight who hails from Creation being...rather happy about replicators.
>>
>>44118634
It has charms that increase accuracy of decisive attacks and that's pretty damn rare. Usually chasrms that enhance decisive attacks enhance damage and most of the time, that's redundant. White Reaper knows you're gonna deal a fuckton of damage with that scythe anyway so it lets you heat reliably with powerful alfa-strikes. It's surprisingly good, even when not fighting large bands of enemies. When you ARE fighting large bands of enemies they tend to evaporate in seconds.
>>
What is the difference between Breeding 5 and Breeding 1 DB?
What about Breeding 5 and First Age DB?
>>
>>44125659
Jesus. Replicators making Orichalcum would be insane. Picturing Starfleet ships looking like giant golden cocks, single-handedly fucking the Borg.
>>
>>44125755
Their kennels
>>
>>44125338
Worf doesn't shapeshift. He's a Dawn. A Dawn dumb enough to go for a 5 Strength/Stamina 1 Dexterity build.
>>
>>44125902
Fair point.
>>
>>44125780
I doubt Replicators could make Orichalcum. Magic, bro. It's not even like there isn't precedent in the Star Trek setting, since they can't make certain exotic materials like dilithium or latinum.

I think almost anyone from Creation would be impressed by a box with the ability to conjure food from thin air. That's First Age miracle-working shit, right there.
>>
>>44123123
>Golden Widows
Tell me mkre
>>
>>44125831
Besides that
>>
>>44125928
2e Lunar sub-culture complete with a Knack

Involves eating your solar mates Heart. Doing so gives you +1 essence for a year and a day.
>>
>>44125150
He said it is getting A cut, shithead, learn to read. Plus, he later mentioned in discussion that they probably just make it not work on extended rolls.
>>
>>44125308
Less than 2000 years. ~800 Realm years, ~1000 Shogunate.
>>
I don't have any play ecperience with Ex3 so could you tell me how wrong I am and why?
It seems to me that any combat threat sufficiently challenging to the Dawn will risk wiping the rest of the PCs no contrest.
>>
>>44126755
Yes, but not overly so.
But Solars are not supposed to be "challenged" anyway. They are the best around, so unless they are idiot's and take on a whole country or the Mask of Winters and his goons solo, they won't be challenged. Exalted is about what you do and what the consequences are, not whether you succeed.
>>
>>44126755
depends on the Dawn. The Dawn in one of my games has only 5 combat charms, so not really.

On the other hand, if he goes 10-15 charms deep into his supernal then yes.
>>
>>44126046
>Requires successfully devouring one specific Solar out of 150 in all of Creation
>Benefits aren't even permanent
>>
>>44126823
Because they reincarnate, yes, you can just keep doing it. And as their mate it's easy to find them.
>>
>>44126823
can't let those mere non-solars get anything too powerful
>>
>>44118480
Provably not true given the success it's had for virtually everyone else.
>>
>>44120798
No. It's a perfectly valid use of existing fluff to make the game more interesting.

Involving someone who has obvious story hooks means there's less for the ST in figuring out what to have people do.
>>
>>44126755
Not really? A starting Dawn who heavily invested in combat skills, to the point where they have no charms involiving non-combat abilities whatsoever is going to be pretty much an equivalent of any other character who invested only into combat to the point of not having any charms associated with a non-combat ability.

"Dawn" isn't synonymous with fighter. It would be more accurate to say that any oponent chllanaging to the most potent fighter in the group is going to pretty much roflstomp the rest of the team and this is mostly true. Not entirely, but mostly. Still, I don't see how that's a bad thing.
>>
>>44126777
Bullshit. Of course Solars are supposed to be chllanged by virtue of being PCs. Have you ever played a game where your character wasn't challanged at all? It gets boring really quickly.

The consequences you have to face IS a form of challange. One you may not have an easy mechanics way of cheating out of, but from a narrative standpoint, it's still a challange.
>>
>>44126947
Very true, but the anon I was replying to clearly meant challenges to be of the "do I succeed or not" kind, what with trying to get the Dawn to actually break a sweat in combat.
>>
>>44126981

I think that guy has it wrong, really. The point of Exalted isn't "Do I succeed?". It's more of a "Okay, what the fuck happens now?"

The whole point of the game is that situations are meant to escalate. Here's a good example of escalation, in a perfectly ordinary way. I'm assuming a Perfect Circle of Solars, but this works just as well for a lone hero.

YOU are a young Dawn Caste Solar Exalted. For the sake of argument, let's say you're a wandering hero. You're primarily focused on Melee, and you've retrieved your daiklaive and buff jacket from your Solar Tomb. You are, by default, one of the greatest swordsmen in the world.

Fair Folk attack a caravan, and you drive them off. You find that they've taken a merchant-prince's daughter, so you rescue the girl and send her on her way. The girl, awed by her mysterious rescuer, wants to introduce you to her father. You go along with it, and he insists that you stay at his house as an honored guest for the ritual three days before you leave again.

The Fair Folk weren't serious about raiding caravans before. But their noble, who claims to be the Greatest Swordsman In The World, wants to pit himself against this mysterious stranger who glows like the sun. He attacks the village, and he attacks it in full strength. You go toe-to-toe with him and you push his shit in, saving the village. Of course, you had to exert yourself a bit, so now everyone knows you're an Anathema.

Some villagers are immediately transfixed by your golden awesomeness. A few others are faithful followers of the Immaculate Faith. There's already a conflict brewing between the naysayers and the new believers, and someone tries to get a message off the Immaculate Order. It might work. It may not.

Meanwhile, the girl is head-over-heels for you, and her father - recognizing a good deal when he sees it - wants to marry her off to you. At the very least, he's probing into your background to find out what the fuck you are.

(More)
>>
Undead corsair port in a shadowland, sending out ships of ghosts and undead into the surrounding waters that seek protection from sunlight underwater during the day, good idea or not?
>>
>>44127152
Long story short: Solars are proto-romantic and epic heroes. Mysterious background to many, for every problem they solve they cause two more in reaction.

And every time they solve ONE of those problems, two more show up. And now the problem isn't "How do I solve these problems" it's "Which problems do I solve, and which do I allow to get worse."
>>
>>44127152

Some of the villagers are grateful for how you singlehandedly saved the village. A few of them are beginning to pray to *you*, instead of the Elemental Dragons or the local god. The local god is perturbed that someone is cutting into his worship, and decides to investigate. He might even send a word up the chain to whatever higher-up contacts he has, because holy shit, an Anathema? He doesn't want to fuck with you.

Word travels fast. Some villager babbles in the market about a golden hero who saved a village, or the message reaches the Immaculate order. A few monks, not really taking it seriously, come to the village to investigate. When they find out what happened, or they end up scuffling with members of your cult, bloodshed might ensure. What do you do? Do you leap in to save everyone? Do you walk off into the night, and leave them to their fate?

Let's assume you roll heavy. You might have got all the monks. (They're only mortal, after all.) They might not have. But people are dead or severely injured, and the Dragon-Blooded are taking interest in what happened. Even if you got them all, the local temple is wondering why their martial artists up and vanished. If you convinced them to see things your way, it's not like they'll be able to keep the secret for long.

So now the Dragon-blooded are involved. So is the Wyld Hunt. Now you're beginning to raise a sweat - You might have trouble fighting them, alone. But if you run, these people are going to die. Despite your attempts to stamp out the cult, several villagers are openly worshipping you. Others want to fight by your side. Young men who previously daydreamed about someday joining the legions now see new purpose in your romantically nomadic lifestyle. You're beginning to take a few War charms, so you train them.

When the Wyld Hunt finally reaches the village, it's a really serious fight. But they're not expecting such heavy resistance, and you kill most of them.

(More)
>>
>>44127155
Good.
>>
What did the Solar in the first age? So why then been overthrown.
>>
>>44127215

Now you have people chanting your name. It's unlikely that you've killed ALL the Dragon-blooded. At least one or two escape, and they head back to go "Holy shit, there's an Anathema. He kicked the shit out of us like you wouldn't believe. They worship him like a god - This abomination must be stamped out."

But word also reaches some other Solars, who are on the run. They know the village is one of the few places they can find sanctuary. A Zenith Caste shows up, and - as Zenith Castes do - starts to preach the word of the Unconquered Sun. He also tells you that he's in touch with a Twilight who's located an ancient manse close by. It might have some serious shit, like a Warstrider or a cathedral-forge. With this, you could stand up to the Realm.

Also, the merchant's daughter is probably pregnant, now. The Fair Folk attempt another raid - If you've killed the noble, his pals have sworn melodramatic blood oaths of revenge. If you've only driven him off, he wants to be your recurring nemesis.

Then the attack is driven off by howling beastmen (Half wolf, half man) that fall on the hogoblins and rip them apart. They're lead by the most beautiful woman you've ever seen, and her first words to you are: "Husband. At last, you've been reborn. For the longest time, I dreamt of you."

And shit just goes on from there.
>>
You know, I reckon you could straight up pressgang Kizaru into Exalted. By that I mean turn his whole 'Turn into Light' Schtick into an MA, maybe with some other stuff stuck into it.
>>
>>44127344

Seems kind of pointless. Also, he's a bit too flamboyant to fit in properly. Everyone says that Exalted is really anime, but it's a different kind of anime.
>>
>>44127353
fairy nuff. I guess there are some things that just don't fit.
>>
>>44127344
I have no idea who that is, nor do I care, but you can adapt a LOT of fantasy magics to Exalted given a few modifications to fit the system and the thematics of the setting.
As a character, though, that's different. Firstly, depends on what kind of group you have and what kind of campaign are you running. Secondly, Exalted is for legends, epics and adventure and intrigue (your Berserks, AGOTs, Tolkiens, Oddyseys), not animoo waifu shenanigans and it's ilk. If both fit, go for it.
>>
>>44127353
Ah well, which iteration of Kamen Rider would fit, Showa or Heisei?
>>
>>44127399

Now, I don't think Kamen Rider would work that well. But you could do a transformation sequence simply by having superheavy armor committed to Elsewhere, then summoned when you Stunt for a transformation sequence.
>>
>>44127399
Heisei. Show is too Cyborg-y.
>>
Does anyone have some pictures for cool locations? Doing some worldbuilding.
>>
>>44127424
Not a bad idea. I like it.
>>
>>44127461

In Dreams of the First Age, the Hierophant keeps a Noble Warstrider committed to Elsewhere in case he needs to suit up at a moment's notice. I've always thought that the creaky old man would either do the G Gundam pose, or scream "BIG H! SHOWTIME!" before the transformation sequence kicked in.
>>
File: Church over the waterfall.jpg (119 KB, 786x900) Image search: [Google]
Church over the waterfall.jpg
119 KB, 786x900
>>44127447
>>
File: 1449217517994.jpg (280 KB, 1500x818) Image search: [Google]
1449217517994.jpg
280 KB, 1500x818
>>44127491
>>
>>44126981
I see you didn;t get the gist of my comment. Take my point yo it's natural conclusion. Since we know Solars DO face challanges, what's wrong with challangeing them on whether they actually succeed or not? Isn't overcoming challanges fun? Isn't double challange then double fun?

'Sides, Solars are supposed to be impressive. How can they be impressive at all if they cannot not succeed? And again, they clearly can fail, sincee they can fail to mop up the consequences of their actions. You're putting an imaginary wall there, saying that some challanges are ok, while others aren't, and you'll need to be more specific. What challanges are ok and what aren't? Why those?
>>
>>44127444
Fairy nuff. I think the best route to go down would be Den-O if you want the 'Armor from Elsewhere' type thing, mostly because the its only really one suit of armor that rearranges depending on the form he's in at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD86s4yRRUk
(I apologize for the abysmal quality.)
>>
>>44127518
meant to reply to >>44127447
>>
>>44127491
Coolio.
>>
>>44127521
Oh obviously you make them roll dice and actually prove their supremacy every time, just don't ever honestly expect them to be close to failing and actually uncertain of the outcome. It might happen, rarely, but it's the exception not the rule and the anon with the original question (>>44126755) shouldn't tailor "encounters" to the party as if it were D&D. Rather, he should create a world for the Solars to tailor their goals to. That's the important part, I think, it allows for challeges of all calibers to exist somewhere, theoretically, but if the party is taking over some backwater kingdom in the south, they won't be dealing with a 3CD and an army of demons just because that's what the GM thinks they should be able to handle, but if they go up against the Realm, they should expect to get rekt by 10 000 DBs, innumerable legionnaires and summoned 1CDs.
>>
>>44120368
Sol. Being a good thing overall.
The guy is so self-conflicting and burned out he can't do shit. And in E3 he smites everyone who dares invoking his name. Yes, he's the most virtuous thing to exist but that only makes him more conflicted and his addiction to the heavenly Xbox doesn't help any of that.
>>
>>44120868
I sincerely want that story in more detail
>>
>>44127666
Addiction to the heavenly xbox is a 2e-ism. Not canon to 3e, at least not yet. He's still turned his back to Creation, but the reasoning's different.
>>
>>44127637
>Oh obviously you make them roll dice and actually prove their supremacy every time, just don't ever honestly expect them to be close to failing and actually uncertain of the outcome.

Then why doesn't this principle apply to delaing with the falllout of whatever they acomplished with that fake challange? And even is the point of rolling if you can't fail, this only makes the game tedious. You've never actually run a game have you?
>>
>>44127774
I am running one right now, but you are misunderstanding my post. The point is, Solars will win, the GM is not supposed to make the situation challenging for challenges own sake.
>>
>>44127805

Yeah, don't be that guy who created a mortal with 13 Defense.
>>
>>44127754
Okay, you're right, but the other points stand. Not to say Sol can't be a bro at times, but the requirements are pretty hard to meet and the whole smiting thing does a pretty good job making him even less relatable.
>>
>>44120768
>a concentration-camp commander
>her stats are all based around having sex
What the Christ.
>>
>>44125150
>>44126333
You anons forgot they've lied before and will again.
>>
>>44127715

Well, we had discovered Island Five, and were doing our best to get as far away as possible. While running from the battleships that had been sent after us, my Eclipse began to realize that something about the region they were fleeing through was familiar. After a brief chat, we decided to go with my hunch and steer into deeper waters.

The first sign we had that something was up were the beastmen that began to circle us. After very brief negotiations, where we agreed to go with them and they agreed not to attack our ship, we ended up meeting their Great Father.

Their Great Father was a goddamn titanic killer whale. (We're talking REALLY BIG, several times larger than the ship.) While this was obviously an ancient, extremely powerful Lunar, my character was the one who went:

> "...Boy? Is that *you*?"

It turns out that they had a whole underwater city that once used to be a gigantic floating command platform. The beastmen had been living in it, and Leviathan was worshipped as their god. Seriously, I don't understand why Lunars always get the bright idea of spawning an entire race of beastmen. There has to be a more efficient way of getting loyal retainers than fucking them into existence.

Imagine this: A titanic underwater city. The Circle being heralded through one of the docking bays. And huge killer whale swimming outside, with an eye as large as one of the viewports, and the populace chanting prayers when it swims closer.

So the conversations are like:
> "Was this your ship?"
> "No. It was my wife's."

And a voice like a god coming over the speakers, going:

> ARKADI. IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME.
> "Far too long. You've changed."
> AS HAVE YOU, ADMIRAL. BUT I AM MORE THAN I WAS, AND YOU ARE LESS.
> “Boy, goddammit, come down here and be a *man* again. Just for a while. I want to talk
face-to-face. Please."
> THEN I AM WITH YOU, ADMIRAL. FOR OLD TIME'S SAKE.

(Continued)
>>
>>44128212

So we move to the bridge, and it's equal parts ancient and modern, but mostly just a mess. You have antique First Age machinery that has been hacked to pieces but lovingly repaired, water damage everywhere, and a huge command throne with an equally huge trident driven into it.

And you have the crew. They're mostly badly mutated beastmen dressed in vague approximations of First Age Deliberative Navy uniforms (priest robes), and they're mumbling and chanting and shaking rattles over all the damaged machinery. The one standout is a startlingly young man who is still wearing his ancient moonsilver armor, that has shifted to displaying his naval cage and rank badges.

So, my PC asks:

> "I request permission to come aboard, Sir. To visit an old friend."

Leviathan salutes back, and answers:

> "Permission granted. Welcome aboard, old friend."

And then - to the burbling cheers of the crew - both hug, briefly. It became really awkward when I asked about what had happened to my wife, and found out about his death camps. But just for that moment, everything was going fine.
>>
>Q: Can you play an Exalted Beastfolk without spending all your Bonus Points on mutations?
>A: Beastfolk should generally only need a few points of Merits to account for their awesome fangs / wings / chitinous armor / horrifying projectile corkscrew dicks / whatever. (Holden)
So I guess this was just a lie.
>>
>>44127805
What about making it challanging for the sake of it being fun?
>>
>>44128354

No?

>Claws 1, Fur 1
Vast majority of beastfolk right there.

Wings are expensive, but they're wings; I'd rather flight matter at least a little and be costed as such.
>>
>>44128354

Most of the mutations really, really suck. As we all know, the only one worth a damn is Enlightened Essence.
>>
>>44128394
>Enlightened Essence

You funny guy.
>>
>>44128413

Name a good one, then.
>>
>>44128391
Having venomous fangs can burn through half your merit points, easy.

The merits (other than story merits like Backing or Army) are, in general, retardedly pricey for their effects. Wow. I can now bite people with fangs and poison them, and it only cost four merit points. That was definitely worth not having... *checks book* a thousand elite warriors at my command.
>>
>>44128426
Wings. Being able to completely rape the rush/disengage anti-kiting setup for anyone who isn't bringing Essence 2+ Athletics Charms to the table is absolutely worth 5 points. (And it'll be E3+ before they aren't paying 1wp for every single attack.)

>>44128441
I won't disagree that a lot of the "personal" merits are out of sync with the rest of the pricing, but it's a balancing act between having mutations be a worthwhile expenditure, over-incentivizing every Solar to play a fucked up air-human/djala hybrid, and/or making the things they do bestow utterly worthless (flight and poison in 2E).
>>
>>44128441
To be fair, Four Dots of Command to get an army intrinsically requires other dots to back it up; you need a way to actually be paying for and supplying this army. You're probably going to want to buy Followers to represent the supply chain and the other innumerous noncombatants required to keep an army fresh-faced and in shape. Resources to show how you're arming and feeding them, and paying them at all. If they're not being paid, are they your worshippers, sworn to follow you into battle? Better buy the Cult merit then. Moving your army around is going to be a hassle. Just walking them onto someones territory is easily considered an act of war. You think you can be STEALTHY with a thousand men? You think you aren't going to have to do constant roleplay of communicating with your various captains, lieutenants, etc? What territory do you own? At Char-Gen, taking Command 4 or 5, hell, even Command 3 is a thing that you have now decided to warp your entire character and your every action around. Because even in Exalted, leading an actual bonafide army is a big deal.

Compare that to just having venomous spit you can use whenever.
>>
>>44128508
That's not venomous spit I can use whenever. Venomous spit I can use whenever is more expensive. That's "fangs that I can use to bite people and poison them Stamina / 2 times per day."

I'm a goddamn Solar. I can feed people on my words, I can turn peasants into the best soldiers in a world in five weeks, I can tell lies from truth, I can slay a dozen men in a single blow (but fuck me if you expect me to write left-handed). Poisonous fangs are worth, like, one merit point, if that.
>>
>>44128579
Oh shit like Ambidextrous is definitely "why even is this a merit" but venomous fangs are still a brand new trick up your sleeve that your native charmset really doesn't do.

Shit like venomous fangs/spit costing 2-4 merit dots is fine. Shit like Giant being 4 is idiotic, because we can directly compare it to fucking Ox-Body. As in, 4 Merit Points being equivalent to 12 EXP for one health level and a penalty to disguise, while I could get 3 health levels at just stamina 3 for 8/10 EXP.

Is the penalty for the off-hand mentioned ANYWHERE other than the Ambidextrous merit? If you just snipped it out, would anyone care?

The argument that the natural merits are priced as being cap-breaking dice where breaking the cap is a ~big thing and effect~ is sound, but the actual implementation is still fucking overcosted. And since it's all directed towards combat, you have a situation where "being able to run fast" is more expensive than knowing three entire languages that will work for roughly 3/4ths of the entire fucking landmass of Creation.
>>
File: 1449573293206.png (2 MB, 1281x1428) Image search: [Google]
1449573293206.png
2 MB, 1281x1428
>>44128384
Go play a game that about competition, like most board and card games.
TTRPGs are usually allow the PCs to act out their characters in a setting, where Exalted leans towards more realistic high magic fantasy. And in-setting, Solars are top dogs. You shouldn't make 13 Defense mortals like that one dumbass, mortals can't do that, and neither should you pull super powerful gods just to challenge your PCs if they've done nothing to earn that gods attention. On the other hand feel free to make them lose against said super powerful beings (like Mask of Winters) if they actually do go up against one.
But then, I'm biased towards making a setting that makes sense before any other storytelling methods.
>>
>>44128579
>I'm a goddamn Solar.
>>44128635
merits are not priced exclusively for Solars. If they were better, we'd have people ask why any mortal in creation bothers using a weapon and armor when he could safe the dots on resources and get firebreath and stone-skin or something retarded like that.
Of course a Solar charm is better at making you tough than a merit normal humans can have, that's kind of the point of Solar charms.
>>
>>44128824
The core book is for playing a goddamn Solar. If the merits need to be repriced for mortals, make a mortal book and do it there.
>>
>>44128847
are you this butthurt playing a furry is suboptimal for a godking?
>>
>>44128886
Yes.
>>
>>44128886
>>44128907
Well, I want to play a scaly without throwing half my points in the garbage bin, but yes.
>>
>>44128966
mutants are less human and so less likely to get exalted, flavor-win right there.
>>
>>44128997
3e Exaltations are not mindless machinery.
>>
>>44129015
Sol's a bit of a racist, flavour-win right there
>>
>>44128354

>horrifying projectile corkscrew dicks

And now I know what the Tell for my duck totem Lunar will be.
>>
>>44128847
The core book supports mortal chargen.
>>
>>44129304
Barely.
>>
>>44129343
But it does, and no other book will expand upon that, except with more merits and spells.
>>
>>44129405
You know why no other book will expand on that? Because Exalted isn't really about playing a mortal. Thus the name.
>>
>>44129424
True. So >>44128847 will never get his repriced mortal merits and other mortal specific stuff, was my point.
>>
>>44129569
Then why aren't they pricing the mutation merits for Exalted, the people who the game is supposed to be about!!!

(Beyond which, being able to poison someone 2/day honestly isn't worth 4 merit points even for a mortal)
>>
>>44128824
>If they were better, we'd have people ask why any mortal in creation bothers using a weapon and armor when he could safe the dots on resources and get firebreath and stone-skin or something retarded like that.
Which, of course, makes no sense whatsoever because Merit dots aren't a thing in-universe. Things should be priced based on their value for PCs, without considering NPCs who will have whatever the ST judges appropriate anyways.
>>
>>44129604
I'd assume they were also considering the rarity of such mutations in the setting, though I could be wrong.
>>
>>44129664
Aren't there entire races of people with wings or fangs or whatever other crap?
>>
File: Ilsa.jpg (98 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
Ilsa.jpg
98 KB, 480x720
>>44127987
>>
>>44129615
>Things should be priced based on their value for PCs, without considering NPCs who will have whatever the ST judges appropriate anyways.
they shouldn't be priced just on how useful they are, but also on how rare they want them to be in play. If they make them too cheap, then every circle will be mutants, but they obviously want mutations to be rare even among PCs, so they make them expensive enough that the only reason to take them is for flavour/rping, and not for their mechanical impact.

This means that taking a mutation is a statement 'I want to play a wyld mutant/engineered race' instead of just 'it is mechanically optimal, btw here's a little backstory to try and justify it'
>>
>>44129681
There were in 2e, but they were still very rare in the Second Age. 3e is a different matter.
Really, they are setting the prices the same for everyone based on their effect and rarity both, and I like that.
>>
>>44122469
A Lunar mate won't want to be dragged into your schemes. A Lunar mate will want you to be dragged into hers.

Love is not absolute obedience. Without even going full crazy yandere shit (and there is certainly no shortage of crazy clingy girls in real life, and what they can do is absolutely terrifying), an elder Lunar mate will probably want you to:

- Obey her unconditionally, because she knows what's best.
- Help her with whatever things she's doing, and you better believe you can't say no.
- Don't cheat, or be prepared for it, and know she has a bigger dick than you (quite literally, with the appropriate knacks).

I love it when one of my players decides to take an Elder lune mate. This is too many problems waiting to happen.
>>
>>44129906
>This means that taking a mutation is a statement 'I want to play a wyld mutant/engineered race' instead of just 'it is mechanically optimal, btw here's a little backstory to try and justify it'

Maybe. Maybe not. But it definitely should NOT require you to gimp your character so horribly.
>>
>>44128275

Awww.
>>
>>44130159
you're not gimped because you spent a few merit points.
I often have merit points left-over to spend on shit like Boundless Endurance.
>>
Were the exact stats of the Contagion ever written up anywhere?
>>
How Final Fantasy is it?
>>
>>44130382

There was a watered down version in Abyssals. It's in a sidebar among all the medicine charms.
>>
>>44130406
As final fantasy as you want it to be
>>
>>44130464
We talking more 6 or 10 here? From what i've read, most like 10.
>>
>>44130494
Setting like 10, but thematics more fitting for 6 or 7, if that makes sense.
>>
>>44130516
Genova (Izzat the right name?) would make a good Behemoth, wouldn't it? Or, failing that, Sin.
>>
>>44130516
It does, 6 with the big fuckoff empire. 10 with the old tech, 7 maybe not so much.
>>
>>44130551
Jenova

Sin is EASILY what a primordial would be like, complete with Fetich death.

>>44130559
7 was actually one of the chief original conceptual inspirations for Exalted, it's why Daiklaves and Hearthstones are a thing. The concept of SOLDIER and mako infusion fits pretty well with the concept of Exaltion. Also one of the major themes of 7 is dealing with death and moving on (though FF6 ALSO has that.) That ties well with the theme of no take backs in Exalted.
>>
>>44130737
So wait, if Sin is the World Jouten, then what are its Demons?
>>
>>44130766

The Sinspawn.
>>
>>44130766
The Aeons are 2nd and 3rd circle demons of it and the Sinspawn are 1st circle demons.

Sin has a bizarre life cycle though, so 1 to 1 translations don't work.
>>
>>44130793
Huh, makes sense.
>>
>>44130823
>Sin has a bizarre life cycle though, so 1 to 1 translations don't work.
Fair point.
>>
How does Breeding work in 3e?
There's no mention of it in Antoganists section.
>>
>>44130918
>How does Breeding work in 3e?
Check the book.

>There's no mention of it in Antoganists section.
Then we know exactly as much as you, don't we.
>>
>>44130918

They mentioned it'll probably just be a social merit, like it is in Vampire, you either have Good Breeding and the concomitant increase in social standing, or you don't.

We'll see when DBs comes out I guess.
>>
>>44130086
It's like most relationships with your elders. They are older and more experienced and have very set outlooks on the world. Mostly that expierence and outlook mix into ¨I know best nd I know you know¨ and ¨I've been through most of your problems already or at least similar, so you better listen to me¨. While mostly the're not wrong their solutions work for THEM. Their plans consider things THEY think are important and try, mostly because they don't know better, to help you by imposing their solutions on you and as with all things interpersonal you have to find out what will work for you and what won't, though the superiority-complex-inducing nature of exaltation and elder exalts WILL make that a VERY tedious afair. Except for when your mate would be old silverclaw in terms of age. These people are so old they don't give a fuck and usually push you to find your own way, because they now as fact, those that fight on, will always find a way.
That said. I'd love to play a game with a teasing, bossy and overly pushy lunar mate that only means best but ends up dragging you into her shit even though you have to solve your own problems. It has a very natural note to it, because we know that from our life, parents, grandparents and co always want to push you into a direction even though you have your own plans and as matter of fact we butt heads often over that, but end up making peace. That amplified by Exaltation and bond-mechanics ends up creating easy drama.

Tl;dr easy, relatable drama if not blown too out of proportion. Me like.
>>
>>44130942
>it'll probably just be a social merit
Boo, I want to be a breeding 5 lost egg pawn in a Sidereal's S3 plan
>>
>>44131198
Pft.
Wouldn't even work.
Snake's a Wood elemental while Raiden's a Water elemental
>>
>>44131243
>Snake
>Exalted
Bitch please.
Snakes and Bosses are "merely" Heroic Mortals.
Raiden is a Sidereal group's shitty attempt at trying to have a DB pawn version of them, only to fall short.
>>
>>44131350
>Snakes and Bosses are "merely" Heroic Mortals.
What are you talking about? Solid Snake is basically the original Night Caste.
>>
>>44131444
>implying he needs a crutch like that to do what he does
Lls
>>
>>44131350
>Big Boss
>Heroic Mortal

>Defeats an Exigent of BEES(Pain), an Abyssal(Fear), a Chosen of Endings(End), a Fire-Aspect DB(Fury), a Ghost(Sorrow), an Exigent of LIGHTNING(Volgin), a Warstrider(Shagohad), and a Solar(Boss) single-handedly.
>Heroic Mortal

Arguably, Ocelot is a Heroic Mortal, at this point. Probably a Solar in the other games, though.
>>
>>44131764
Volgin's an Air Aspect maybe. They do lightning too.
>>
>>44131764
>Probably a Solar in the other games, though.
Actually, arguably a Liminal, since he steals Liquid's arm.
Though, again, the Liquid Ocelot act could just be Solar-level Socialize

Raiden's a Heroic Mortal that becomes an Alchemical, in MGS4/Rising, though.
>>
File: 1446987366673.jpg (194 KB, 1066x1599) Image search: [Google]
1446987366673.jpg
194 KB, 1066x1599
>>44131764
I'd rather just make all of them mortals with mutations except Boss, who just has high Abilities and Attributes (like some actual 5's, which are supposed to be legendary ratings, peak human).
>>
>>44131893
Yeah, I thought about saying he was an Air-Aspect, but given how much of a badass he is, he seems more like a Celestial Exigent of lightning/electricity to me.
>>
>>44131764
Big Boss was defeated by a guy using a can of deoderant and a zippo.

I buy him as a Heroic mortal.
>>
>>44131944
They're supposed to be legendary rating, but every elite troop has a 5 in either his stat or his skill, given that they got 10 dice.
>>
>>44131764
Yes and?
He's a badass heroic mortal
>>
>>44132040

Except that that pool is used for both withering and decisive, so it's just as likely that they're 4/4s with a +2 accuracy rating (or 4/4s with a +4 that got averaged down to +2 to limit its effect on decisives).
>>
>>44132080
Oh, sorry, was misremembering. 10 dice is for Join Battle. Slashing sword is a +2 accuracy, they've got 11 dice for attacks.
>>
>>44131957
Nonsense. An elder Air Aspect can seriously kick some awesome ass. Not everything should be pushed up in the powerlevel.
>>
>>44132180

That one I'll give you as weird. Still theoretically justifiable (4/4 + spec + the JB enhancing merit).

But I honestly wouldn't mind if mortals were hardcapped at 4/4, and getting around that required exceptional stand-out effort.
>>
>>44132232
Normal mortals yes, heroic ones no.
>>
>>44122214
The great curse become worst as Solars age and gain in essence. The Limit Break is an abstraction of how it is nagging the mind of newly created Solars - already incredibly insidious, a constant mental pain that will never go away.

The Great Curse doesn't cause you to Limit Break. The mental crushing weight of the Great Curse cause you to go slowly insane, and one of the only way to refresh yourself is to vent all your insanity and your frustration in one go. Limit Breaks are not something bad, they are something good: the only things preventing Solars grom going batshit insane.

And as you age, they simply aren't enough anymore.
>>
So was oblivion spawned with the neverborns deaths or was it around before even that?
>>
>>44132682
Equal and opposite etc.

Creating Creation also created oblivion to eventually destroy it
>>
>>44132682
It is a mystery.

If it existed before, it wasn't in a place or state that anybody could interact with it. Or if it WAS, nobody mentioned interacting with it in any big way.

I'm personally inclined to go with the "it was in a non-interactive state, because nothing had come as close to oblivion as the Neverborn until the Neverborn happened" theory, like how you can have an entire swarm of bees living in your wall and not notice until you try to put a new window in.
>>
>>44132232
I'd say that part of the weirdness is that the template is for Elite Troops/ Champion /Elite Bodyguard. To me, at least, it seems like elite troops and a champion should be two different things, with a singular champion being significantly more skilled than even the best troops you can get in sufficient numbers to have a real military unit. The stats given make sense for the bodyguard of a king or the best sword for hire in the region, but seem way too good for every member of a crack military unit to have.
>>
File: 1317569518866.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1317569518866.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
Is there any reason I shouldn't let my players spend solar xp on their Supernal skill/charms?
>>
>>44133211
Bp/XP divide compensation
>>
>>44114773
Do you guys think there would be a good way to do a Sidereal style class, in another system? That is, could you home brew one, without it being unbalanced as fuck? Something like a solar is relatively easy, as they're just "sword good", so to balance it, you just tone down how good they sword, to fit the system, but Sidereals have really weird powers, that seem like they'd be hard to implement without completely neutering.
>>
>>44133211
They'd get all their Supernal charms extremely quickly and it defeats the entire point of Solar Xp in that players only ever got charms in 2e and 1e.
>>
>>44133211
Solar EXP is to make sure the PCs buy shit that isn't new charms, because new charms will always be the best and shiniest option for any character. Letting them buy supernal charms with it means that not only can they just buy more charms, they get to buy charms in the one tree they have no essence limits on, and the tree they're strongest with; IE, they're enormously, enormously incentivized to dump every single point of EXP they ever get into their supernal
>>
>>44133569
Which would be 9 charms gained every 8 sessions.

But more likely 1 every session.
>>
>>44132682
If i had to guess id say shortly after their death. Before the war everything was constantly renewed, mortals reincarnate, spirits reform after a time when killed. But with the death of the primordials they were to large to move on, and so something new was invented, the idea of a permanent lasting death.
>>
File: 1302854339939.jpg (49 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
1302854339939.jpg
49 KB, 300x299
>>44133223
>>44133335
>>44133390
>>44133569

Ok. Thank you all.
>>
So, exg, Necromancy. Is there any good homebrew floating around for 3e versions of spells?
>>
So, the Sidereal Exalted decided that the only way to save Creation was to either kill or imprison all of the Solar Exalted, but then they escaped their jade prison.
So, are the Solars super pissed at the Sidereal?
And aren't the Solars the strongest Exalted?
So couldn't they just tell the Sidereal to fuck off and slaughter them all?
>>
>>44134234

No one know's who did it. There's no proof, that the Sidereals were involved. Technically, there's no proof on Creation that the Sids even exist.
>>
>>44134234
>So, are the Solars super pissed at the Sidereal?

You are not your past incarnation. Your Solar doesn't even know what a Sidereal or a Usurpation or a First Age IS, and even if he did, he would quickly forget due to Arcane Fate, as >>44134258 mentions.
>>
>>44134234
>So, the Sidereal Exalted decided that the only way to save Creation was to either kill or imprison all of the Solar Exalted, but then they escaped their jade prison.

They had three options.

1. Everything is fucked - guaranteed.
2. Everything might be fucked or everything might be fine and the glories of the first age last forever.
3. Everything is shit compared to the first age, but at least everyone and everything isn't dead

They went with door number three.

Those with Eidetic memories of their past lives might be. However those fellas tend to lose their minds upon exaltation due to being unprepared for 1000 years of memories where they were a god king suddenly landing in their brain.

>And aren't the Solars the strongest Exalted?
They're the best at what they do, but no Solar can do everything.

>So couldn't they just tell the Sidereal to fuck off and slaughter them all?
No Solar has yet made it to E6. The Sidereals have several E6-ers plus a thousand year head start on lobbying the other big guns for support.
>>
>>44126333
>Plus, he later mentioned in discussion that they probably just make it not work on extended rolls.
Wow, that sure looks like something you just made up.
>>
>>44134234
They don't know shit about what happened back then. If they find out, some will be pissed, some might kind of see the Sidereals' point, and some won't give a fuck.

>And aren't the Solars the strongest Exalted?
>So couldn't they just tell the Sidereal to fuck off and slaughter them all?
'Strongest' doesn't mean 'invincible'.
>>
>>44134385
believe it or not, I'm not going to dig through my logs for it.
>>
>>44134346
So, aside from the Gold Faction, are the Solars just fucked?
Given that the Bronze Faction Sidereal have control of the Immaculate Order, are they just going to fucking hunt down and kill all the Solar again?
Also, why were those the only three options?
>>
>>44134452
>So, aside from the Gold Faction, are the Solars just fucked?
>Given that the Bronze Faction Sidereal have control of the Immaculate Order, are they just going to fucking hunt down and kill all the Solar again?
They're sure trying, but the Wyld Hunt is far from perfect, and Solars have an ever-shrinking window of opportunity when they're at their most vulnerable. Solars who establish a power base under themselves are significantly costlier to take down.

>Also, why were those the only three options?
Because Exalts, in general, are not a stable arrangement, and Solars are the least stable of them all. Where Exalts are, the world changes, and it continues to change, aggressively, until it reaches a point where nothing can change anymore (because everyone and everywhere is dead) or the world no longer needs heroes (in which case the Exalted will CONTINUE to knock shit around, being a nuisance and a problem), or something similar.
>>
So, I'm going to be playing a Dawn caste soon that's become the ruler of a small kingdom in the Hundred Kingdoms. Tell me if these merits represent that well enough.

>Influence 4
>Command 3
>Manse 3 (capital was built around an ancient fortress)
>Resources 3

Does that seem like what a small kingdom's ruler would have?

Also, while I'm at it, is the Giant merit worth it? I thought about grabbing it just so I can look huge an impressive (and get that extra health level), but it's pretty expensive, and with it and my other merits (including Artifact 3 for my daiklave) I'll only have 5 bonus points for upgrading abilities or attributes. Worth its, or should I drop it?
>>
>>44134426
>logs
Glad to know you're not going to bother keeping up this charade.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.