[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever known someone who cheats in RPGs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 21
File: 1412378409509.jpg (435 KB, 600x1878) Image search: [Google]
1412378409509.jpg
435 KB, 600x1878
Have you ever known someone who cheats in RPGs?
>>
I cheat and get away with it and never get caught because no one can catch me.
>>
>>44113097
Yes, it tends to be the people obsessed with bell curves for their rolling.
>>
I lie about stuff (stats and strategies) to get people to react a certain way. Only done it a couple times this year but neither were in RPGs.

Though I don't cheat when it comes to actions and rolling, just lies.
>>
>>44113097
I knew a guy who used to roll randomly whenever he wanted. When it was low, he would say nothing, or if we asked he was "just rolling for fun." If it was high, he would say "Oh, I was rolling for a Spot check and got a 20, what do I see?"
Another guy would snatch his die the second it stopped rolling and claim it was something high.

I don't know why either of them did these things, as I would always tell them that I wasn't taking their high roll and that they had to roll where I could see it when I told them to roll.
>>
There's a guy I know who is a kleptomaniac. He doesn't play kleptomaniac characters, he just can't stop stealing things in real life. Just goes into a store, and puts something in his pocket without even thinking about it. Always winds up realizing it only after he's left the store, and he says it's just too awkward to go back and return the item.

This guy also cheats at RPGs, in a similar fashion. Just cheats without thinking about it. He'll tilt his dice when he thinks no one is looking, he'll roll twice if he thinks no one saw the first roll, and he'll never keep accurate track of his expended abilities or how many hit points he has left.

I didn't really understand it at first. I thought he was just an ordinary cheat, and it wasn't until I discovered just how much of a kleptomaniac he is that I really understood that he can't help it. He cheats on impulses, and he can't control those impulses, even if he had an incentive to. With the positive reinforcement he gets from cheating and succeeding, I don't think he'll ever get over his problem.

In the end though, I hate to say it, but I don't think his cheating really matters. Yes, he hits more often and succeeds on more rolls and deals more damage, but it helps out the rest of the party, and he's good natured about any success he brings to the group.

While I really hope he tries to get some help to fix his kleptomania before he gets caught shoplifting, I think it's not worth the effort to confront him about his compulsive cheating any more than we've already tried to in the past. It would be nice if he could fix it, but I'm not going to kick him out of the group over it.

And, I'm 95% certain half his dice are stolen. Just saying. Guy has probably knicked a dice every time he stepped into a game store.
>>
Why would someone cheat at tabletop? They are only cheapening their own experience, they don't get anything out of it.
>>
>>44113097
Plenty. Normally I don't really care because I have a REALLY good DM who compensates for it and always knows. However I used to play tabletop strategy games with one guy in the group. His name was Kevin. He taught me warhammer fantasy and was nice enough to let me borrow his Orcs to play against him. But he would cheat the entire time he played. I didn't understand, why would he need to cheat to make a new and bad player lose, when he was going to win anyways?
>>
>>44113616
Why are their cheat codes for video games?

Heck, there used to be a game magazine dedicated solely to cheat codes.
>>
>>44113134
Everyone knows Francis, they just don't care. They just want to get on with playing. No one wants to hear you try and defend yourself, or deflect the accusation.
>>
>>44113724
>Why are their cheat codes for video games?
So the developers can test out certain features without having to do a lot of extra work.
>>
>>44113688
>Kevin
Saw it coming a mile away
>>
File: 1437979826582.jpg (63 KB, 421x292) Image search: [Google]
1437979826582.jpg
63 KB, 421x292
>>44113097
Me.
If I start missing with my attacks a lot, I'll start rolling the dice and look up to see who is paying attention.
Usually 2 people will be on their smartphone, others looking at their character sheet and the DM with his head behind the screen.
I just pick up the dice and rotate it slightly to a higher number.
Or if people are looking I'll roll near the table edge so I can pick the dice up and quickly rotate it the same way and place it down at the higher number so everyone can see the higher number. There's some sleight of hand involved with that.

I'm just tired of missing.
Fight me.
>>
If our DM catches you cheating he'll typically punish your character for it.

Looking up a monsters stat block without making a knowledge check first? You'll find yourself one on one with something that's got a template you don't know about.

Fudging rolls? Enjoy DCs to high for you to possibly get.

Forgetting to mark damage? The DM will keep track of you hp on the mat and make jokes about how you can't count.

Your character isn't legal? He'll pull you aside before the session and rebuild the whole thing to ensure the calculations are correct.

What's more is that many save or die effects are useful DM tools for dealing with cheaters. The only people in our campaign who've faced them are the ones who were assholes (out of game, we were all assholes in game)
>>
>>44114027
I can understand where cheat codes originated, with the developers simply making aspects of the command console more easily available, but what made cheat codes become so popular, beyond the Easter Egg factor?

What makes cheating in video games so enjoyable?
>>
>>44114559
The original design of the game is not as interesting as the game when using the codes.

It's a completely different situation.
>>
>>44114559
>What makes cheating in video games so enjoyable?
Not that anon, but at a certain point, I get tired of the challenge and want to move on.
I usually don't *really* cheat, but I sometimes go online to find the solution to a puzzle I can't solve, which I consider kinda cheating.
Also, it is very therapeutic to bum rush and slaughter everything in your path.
Especially if the enemy was particularly annoying.
The last time I remember doing that was with a Hitman game, using that gatling gun to blow around bodies like a leafblower.
I only every play around with cheat codes once I've exhausted the playablity of the game.
Which for a bad game, could be before I've beaten it.
>>
>>44113527
Can't fix a kender anon.
>>
>>44113097
I do. I genuinely don't have fun unless I'm winning.
>>
>>44113097
Yeah, a player I DM'd for would lie about rules constantly if he thought he could get away with it.

He made me a better DM because I had to police him on it, but I still resent him for being a twat about that.
>>
>>44115459
Oh, and he was the most meta player I ever knew. I had to constantly replace the fluff of statblocks to keep him from looking things up based on the description.
>>
>>44115352
But, don't you invalidate the contest, robbing you of any chance of actually winning?
>>
File: 1419578377047.jpg (629 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
1419578377047.jpg
629 KB, 1000x749
Apparently a ton of people fucking cheat at tabletop, but I didn't know how gleefully open about it they were until I saw a thread similar to this one a few months ago in which several people complained that preventing them from cheating made you an authoritarian asshole GM.

I absolutely loathe cheaters, I have one player who routinely "forgets" his stats and conveniently always rolls higher than he's supposed to, but everyone in the group knows he cheats and at this point we just stop the game and confirm it whenever he seems fishy (which is pretty often). As a GM I've killed his character for it in the past, he's been lynched by the other player characters before as well. Only let him play still because he usually attempts to roleplay, it's just in any mechanical situation he inflates his stats whenever he thinks he can get away with it.
>>
I played with a group of new players, brand new players who had never played a roleplaying game, and all of them were cheaters.
Every last one.

It's like... it's like they're cut from a different cloth. They didn't appreciate the... the sanctity, if I'm allowed to be a little poetic, the sanctity of the game. They just needed to be the strongest, to win at any cost, and it didn't matter how they did it. I at first thought they were just making honest mistakes, since new people tend to make them, but whenever it came to a difficult encounter, they got sloppy with their cheating.

I think everyone knew everyone else was cheating, but no one said a thing. Partially to grant each other the benefit of the doubt, partially to just avoid any conflict, and I think largely because none of them really saw a problem with cheating. It was just a game, and these were the kind of people who would cheat at boardgames without hesitation. There was no unspoken rule against cheating, which should probably always be the first unspoken rule.
>>
>>44113097
Yes, but he wasn't so much cheating at the RPG as he was fucking a girl other than his girlfriend during breaks.
>>
>>44116243
Not really, no. The fact that you bribed the ref doesn't make the trophy and cheering crowd go away.
>>
Tied to a post and flogged. Repeat offenders are to be gelded.
>>
File: CreateProductThumbnail.jpg (25 KB, 309x363) Image search: [Google]
CreateProductThumbnail.jpg
25 KB, 309x363
>>44113097
He had dice that were about as easy to read from across the table as this one. Bitch said he never rolled lower than a 23, and he was always really quick to pick up his dice afterwards.

>>44119251
Who cheers for someone participation trophy?
>>
>>44115352
That is not healthy.
>>
>>44119525
>participation trophy

If you're cheating and still not winning you should just stop.
>>
>>44119641
There's no "winning" like that in RPGs. It's not a game of mario fucking cart. If you think the point of games like D&D is to always roll the highest numbers, then you have fundamentally missed the point of the exercise.
>>
>>44115352
But you can't win RPGs.
>>
>>44114713
This is entirely different than what I believe the others are talking about. I believe were all talking about people who get a game and immediately mod the shit out of it or turn on god mode and never try the game as it was intended. These same people will get aimbots and stuff or online FPS.
>>
As both a GM and Player, I'll 'cheat' if I know that the group is going to have more fun that way

Fudging rolls as a GM is perfectly fine in my eyes if they players are just getting destroyed

And as a party member if everyone is bored of being unable to progress due to damage or lack of an item, I might roll a 20 or happen upon the item in my character sheet

Rule Zero always applies, even in cheating
>>
>>44119251
A trophy I haven't earned righteously is not one that has any value to me.
>>
>>44120035
Fudging rolls as a GM is a different thing all together. The GM has a lot of considerations to weigh. A player should give honest stats and rolls and let the GM sort out any fudging.
>>
>>44120099
I think this is a fundamental difference between people who have achieved things, and people who have only had achievements handed to them.
>>
>>44120160

Nail on the head right there.
>>
>>44120035
That's not really your call to make.

As a GM, it's not cheating. You've never been bound by anything, and it is your sole and only goal to provide an interesting and challenging experience for your group, even if it means having to adjust the numbers on the fly in order to achieve that perfect balance of difficulty.

But, as a player, you are constrained, but constrained with a purpose, to encourage you to think as your character would and to play in their role. There's a reason you're not playing freeform, and while it's partially so that everyone is on a level playing field, it's also so that you actually try to solve problems with what you have available, instead of just cheating your way out of situations you don't like.
>>
>>44119889
Oh, I see, you're too autistic to understand analogies. I'll start again.

When you succeed at a game, you get a sense of fulfillment from having your mastery of the system validated, XP, loot, and advance the plot in a direction favorable to you.

When you cheat at a game, you lose the validation, but still get all the other stuff. It doesn't particularly matter to me if I "earned" it or not, I still got it in the end.

So to spin back around to the original question,

>But, don't you invalidate the contest, robbing you of any chance of actually winning?

Only if you're in it for the competition. If you're just here for prizes, then nothing is really lost.
>>
Is magically improving your luck cheating?
>>
>>44113097
Me desu
>>
>>44120349
If you're just in it for the XP and loot, why are you even bothering to play? Just write it on your sheet. It's obvious you don't give a shit either way, so just make your character level one billion.

And if you're doing it for plot reasons, why don't you just write a book? If you're going to cheat to manipulate the storyline to such a degree that you already know the outcome, why bother with all the fucking around with dice and other people?
>>
It's happened before, and I tend to avoid those players like the plague afterwards. Once a guy tilts his die/boosts numbers/"forgets" a rule once and gets caught, that trust is broken-- who's to say he's not going to do it again, or hasn't been doing it constantly and just been caught this one time?
>>
>>44113097

Yes, and what was worse in a way, was this guy wasn't even subtle about it.

>playing this sandboxy campaign.
>We're on the run.
>Party starts falling apart at the seams due to quarreling over whose idiocy got us into this mess.
>It comes to blows.
>Me and another character beat up on this psionic, who despite being able to literally read minds, always manages to piss off the people who we were supposed to try to get on our side.
>Anyway, we get the upper hand.
>SUDDENLY MAGIC PSIONIC CRYSTAL TO RECHARGE ALL MY POWER POINTS AND SLAP YOU BOTH WITH A TELEKINETIC RAGE ABILITY! MASSIVE DAMAGE
>DM notes that no such thing exists in the game book, the campaign world, or ever has in the setting.
>>
File: 1323181330829.png (390 KB, 905x4232) Image search: [Google]
1323181330829.png
390 KB, 905x4232
>>44120538
Was it a Green Ruby?
>>
I've cheated a few times because I've had crazy bad sessions where I haven't rolled a single success even in my character's specialized fields.
Makes me feel dirty as fuck, though.
>>
>>44120478
Getting away with it is rewarding in it's own way, for one. For two, even if you cheat like a total motherfucker, your ability to direct the game and narrative is still limited. It's not like I can claim to have rolled a Nat 20 so the king should give me the crown and get away with it. Or rather, if I can, that's probably a problem with the GM, not me. There's only so far mysteriously good rolls will get you, and only so many mysteriously good rolls before the other players get wise.
>>
>>44120795
>I get a stiffy from doing a naughty thing

Why didn't you say that in the first place? I mean, you'd still be a dick, but at least you'd be an honest dick.
>>
File: backward-hat-shield-eyes.jpg (83 KB, 500x439) Image search: [Google]
backward-hat-shield-eyes.jpg
83 KB, 500x439
>>44120032
>I believe were all talking about people who get a game and immediately mod the shit out of it or turn on god mode and never try the game as it was intended.
Ah.
I am of no use then.
There are some people I just cannot understand.
>>
>>44120839
>that pic
but then the back of his neck would get burned, and what's worse than being a redneck?
>>
>>44120879
>but then the back of his neck would get burned, and what's worse than being a redneck?
Being stuck on a planet with two suns, so that one is in your eyes at the same time the back of your neck is being burned?
>>
>>44120839
I only do that in Fallout/Elder Scrolls games, because fuck playing those without tgm.
>>
File: easybutton.jpg (49 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
easybutton.jpg
49 KB, 400x300
>>44120839
When this attitude of "easy mode" bleeds into the tabletop, I have, in the past, been tempted to pull out a Staples "Easy Button", tell them to press it, and then yell, "YAY! You win forever!"
Then I decide against being a passive aggressive faggot.
>>
>>44120836
It's more like a magic trick, it's exciting because you've managed to successfully pull it off, not because "lel duped you idiots." That said, I'm not stupid enough to contest accusations of dickhood when I'm advocating cheating.
>>
I DM over Maptool. Which, since it comes equipped with automated dice rolling, is an incredibly hard medium to cheat over. It says very clearly in the chat window that you rolled a 1 on your attack, Mr. Fighter. Sucks to suck, better luck next turn.

No, my players don't really cheat so much and less "forget the rules." Since we play over the net, they've grown stingy with their character sheets and inventories. I'm almost positive our Bard has leveled too early or "retrained" levels from bard into the Pathfinder Chronicler prestige class (we just hit level 13, and he said he got the capstone of the Chronicler last level). Sometimes they get cheeky with the actual value of their AC too.

>"Does a 36 hit you?"
>No.
>"...It hit you last turn."
>I had the wrong value last turn, my AC is higher because of X reason.
>"...Right."

Honestly we're so far into the campaign at this point that I don't really care. It's a custom setting that, while I love to death, I may or may not scrap, I usually improvise most monster stats anyway, and at this point we're basically free-forming it.

Next campaign it'll be better.

That's what I keep telling myself.
>>
I know only one cheater.

He only cheated, because he only played the game to force his will on others and bully them. He would primarily cheat whenever his roll would oppose or otherwise foil another PC, or do something that would upset another player.

I was young and didn't really know how to deal with that at the time, so he stuck around longer than I should have let him, to my shame.

I've known a number of players who will subtly cheat, normally by REALLY stretching what abilities and spells can do, when a game becomes adversarial with the GM. Honestly, I did that not too long ago, to attempt to pry up the tracks of a really stupid railroad related to how much the GM hates Republicans. It's normally a clear sign the game is basically over, in that case.
>>
File: 1449867359795.png (437 KB, 955x953) Image search: [Google]
1449867359795.png
437 KB, 955x953
I am ashamed to admit I cheat in rpgs. I build highly optimized characters then fudge my rolls down so I'm roughly on equal footing with other party members. I started building minmaxed characters out of a fear of TPKs and then always fudge down unless we really need it so the rest of the party feels involved. As time has gone on I've gotten more subtle about it, playing control wizards who normally don't use their spells to their limits or characters with one "silly" trick that taken to its extreme is cripplingly overpowered.
>>
>>44122580
>I build highly optimized characters then fudge my rolls down so I'm roughly on equal footing with other party members.
I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
When we first started playing nWoD mage I tasked each player with becoming an 3xpert in an Arcanum and I would trust their judgement on stuff.

Everyone was very honorable except for one, our time/fate mage. He pulled the gayest shit on me. Worst of all was the abuse of a spell that let's someone go back in time one turn. He neglected to tell me that you can't use it whenever you want. You have to say that next turn you might cast it. So it's not just a universal undo button it's like a short term save state.

So this nigga is like using divination spells beyond his Arcanum level and fucking ctrl+Zing everything all the time. Then he'd get awkwardly butt hurt everything something went wrong and rule lawyer the shit out of me whenever things weren't going his way.
>>
>>44113097
>>44113268

Yeeeah, I've cheated during stat generation a couple times. When I was younger I just got this sick sensation if my primary stat wasn't a nat 18. I was really bad about it when I first started. I'd replace the lowest score with an 18, and even threw in a 16 for good measure. When I GMed I even let my players have a free 18. As time went on I stopped being such a weird little shit and went to replacing the highest score and then I stopped cheating and rolled my stats first and then wrote the character's story as serious or terrible at his job. Nowadays my groups play with point-buy so it doesn't even matter anymore.
>>
>>44122580
What's the source of your pic? Reverse google does nothing.
>>
>>44114240
Maybe you shouldn't challenge people to a fight if you just admitted that you can't hit for beans.
>>
>>44114297
My DM in the Air Force would just throw dice at you until you stopped acting like a cunt. It was kind of like spraying a cat with water, and worked pretty well.
>>
Have a bad problem with cheating and exploitation. Tend to obsess over breaking every game system I can, spending more time on it than actually playing the game (especially guilty of this with video games -- was more compelled to "mod" and mess with the internal shit than having fun with it), and I'll regularly bend the truth and subtly cheat around people I'm friends with or admire, just to achieve victories in trivial things over them -- nothing that would define relationships, just insignificant "victory" for the sake of "victory", completely forgotten by all parties involved a day later, unfortunately. More problematic was my addiction to people resistant to my bullshit -- people I couldn't scam and deceive with whatever superficial persona they responded most positively to. Became rather decent at deception and cheating in all aspects of my life, including things far more serious than games and fun, and somehow completely avoided getting caught. Am a massive liar, hypocrite, and sycophant; regularly flip-flop depending on who I'm around, will say anything to make a good first impression and get everything I can before they catch on. Can't even distinguish my own actual beliefs, emotions, or preferences with how automatic my vacillation has become, to the extent that a number of my acquaintances have had to ask whether I'm a pol-tier puritanical neonazi or bleeding heart free-love hippie. Developed an addiction to pain, ugliness, and personal suffering for their "honesty", or perhaps just a nonsexual masochistic streak. Actively make myself look as ambiguous and neutral as possible; don't show any emotion except when it's convenient. Alternate between self-hatred and apathy. Extremely paranoid, to a destructive extent. Have to force myself to have fun instead of the strange high of manipulation and cheating.

There is probably someone like me in most peoples' lives. Worry more about the cheaters you don't see than the ones you do.
>>
>>44113097
I've got a friend who's absolutely awful about rerolling. We've stopped giving him shit about it because his character just can't land a damn hit otherwise.
>>
>>44123807
Nice blog.
>>
File: 1439859843028.png (600 KB, 1012x1088) Image search: [Google]
1439859843028.png
600 KB, 1012x1088
>>44114297
>Forgetting to mark damage? The DM will keep track of you hp on the mat and make jokes about how you can't count.

I do the fuck out of this to one of my players.

I think half the time he really just forgets. But it annoyed the shit out of me when he kept doing it so I turned him being a retard into a thing in our group and every one else makes fun of him too.

I'd probably feel bad if he wasn't still doing it.
>>
File: 1326446064623.png (346 KB, 1900x960) Image search: [Google]
1326446064623.png
346 KB, 1900x960
>>44119108
You should invite his girlfriend over to play.
>>
I had a cheater in my Pathfinder game. He actually cried when I threw him out of my house. Pathetic.
>>
>>44113927
Seriously this.

I knew a couple guys who cheated frequently. They would quietly preroll a dice whenever they were about to do something. If it came up good, they'd declare an action using the roll. If it didn't, they'd declare the action and roll the dice like the preroll never happened. It got obvious really fast, but no one ever said anything because at the end of the day it didn't really matter.

Even if people can't catch on to exactly what you're doing, they'll catch on to your suspicious results eventually. No one ACTUALLY believes that you're "just lucky," they're just being polite.
>>
File: 1431075398294.png (2 MB, 2372x1291) Image search: [Google]
1431075398294.png
2 MB, 2372x1291
I had a friend who used to just straight lie about her dice rolls if she was worried her character was going to get hurt, it was really awkward when she would roll low right on the table, and then give me some absurd number for her defense or whatever. I called her out on it once I noticed and she started crying and said she just couldn't stand the thought of "being hurt".
>>
>>44114027
Dont pretend thats the only reason fuckhead
>>
Does fudging as DM count, to avoid a bullshit TPK?
>>
>>44129097
Nah. Fudging is a GM's sacred responsibility, almost as important as convincing your players you're not fudging.
>>
>>44129097
No, fudging is a core responsibility of the DM to prevent the death of fun- I'll fudge enemy rolls if the group are taking ages to kill a low level enemy to speed the game up, or if there is a trap/puzzle/encounter that the group is stuck on I might fudge to reveal a clue or another route- e.g. lower the difficulty of a perception check
>>
Our friend in our group is either cheating or purposely not understanding rules. He doesnt understand the action economy of 5e and often tried to give himself multiple bonus actions, he often overestimates the duration or effects of non combat spells he also never keeps track of his spellpoints.. Im the most well versed in the current edition in our group and offered to double check everyones sheets to ensure they werent missing anything. I ended up helping most of the group because they hadnt added proficience in certain skills or gained certain spells. Our friend I mentioned is the only one who wouldnt let me look at his sheet and we are all starting to suspect something shady about that. We dont wanna make a big deal about it but it sucks because everyone else feels under powered becausr theyre following the rules as written.
>>
I can't even cheat, mostly I play online, and dice rolls are public and logged.
>>
>>44129265
One of the few instances where online is superior.
>>
>>44123131
I would probably do this in dark heresy if we didn't do it online. Shooting a gun in all the 40k RPGs is so unreliable even if you put a ton up points into it. Seriously anyone have the one .gif that's always named "shooting in dark heresy" where it's the two guys shooting at each other at point blank and all missing?
>>
>>44127284

Fuk. I gotta know how this story ends.
>>
>>44113097
Had a DM who thought he was hot shit when he made me calculate, in front of him, how I got a higher stealth than the thief. When it turned out I had been low-balling myself, he got butthurt but didnt bring it up again.

Same dude wanted me to literally show him how I got the magic I had when another player was literally doing 120 damage per arrow at level 12.
>>
File: 1446230814568.gif (71 KB, 245x269) Image search: [Google]
1446230814568.gif
71 KB, 245x269
My cousin.

>About 9 years younger than the rest of our group (Late 20s)
>We get him into our D&D group because we needed a person
>About four hours into a six hour session
>We're rolling for initiative, we all announce our numbers
>DM to my cousin: "Hey dude, is something going on?"
>Cousin: "Huh? What?"
>DM: "Your initiative rolls have been high all night, you've ALWAYS been first or second."
>Cousin: "I dunno, just lucky!"
>DM: "...Okay."
>Encounter ends, we continue on
>I get up to go to the bathroom
>As I'm heading back into the room, a new encounter has fired up and initiative rolls have started
>See cousin roll a 7, quickly tap the edge of the die and...
>"18!"
>Me: "Uh... that was a 7."
>DM: "WHAT?"

And that was how my cousin's character got a curse for the rest of that campaign that put -3 on EVERYTHING he did or held because he was stupid enough to cheat on fucking initiative even after the DM starting suspecting him.
>>
>>44113097
i have never fudged a die

the way i cheat is by overspending on my character. no one tracks gold correctly in D&D.
>>
>>44120349
You are either trolling or fundamentally broken as a person.
>>
>>44113097
I do on occasion but it's never based on fudging dice or anything else that obviously advantageous.

It's more like "Archer" cheating where I'll say or do something that seems outrageous when viewed from outside but actually works way better than it should at the time.

Call it "applied roleplaying" if you will.

>this has never backfired on me...yet
>>
>>44130563
Man all I can imagine is like a japanese TV show
>anon goes to bathroom
>comes back just in time for roll
>camera on die clearly reading seven
>cousin knocks it
>"eiteeno"
>camera does dramatic zoom and noise
>close up of anon
>"eto. . . sore wa seevan deshita. . ."
>cousin wide eyes and zoom in of face
>same eyes and zoom in on DM
>"NANI?"
>shifts eyes from anon to cousin
>"MINUSU TUREE HOLU KYAPENU"
>laughing audience and guy reacting in the PIP
>>
File: 1445980468779.png (635 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
1445980468779.png
635 KB, 768x576
>>44131131

Knowing how my cousin reacts to when startled, how the DM would often practice saying "NANI?!" in the most overly dramatic, comedic way possible... my sides are in orbit now.

Thank you for that.
>>
>>44113097
As a DM, I cheat to make sure my players don't blow though or get blown through during encounters. As I player I suck it up and take my 6 int.
>>
>>44113097
Ive cheated in online roll20 games before, but only against DMs who are playing modules that I own and read. Its not entirely intentional but because I memorize books regularly, I end up knowing how to beat a module with 100% loot gain, and Ive only done this when gaming has dried up so much that the only games I can get into are premade module 1 shots for Pathfinder.
>>
I knew a guy who was really good at sliding dice.

He probably got away with it for a while, but then people started noticing that his rolls were always so quiet because he rolled them smoothly across the table with a sort of sideways hand motion. He'd get very flustered if you pointed it out.

He'd also try pre-rolling and quickly recovering dice after bad rolls, but no one was having any of that shit.

Wasn't a bad player otherwise. Just really hated failing at rolls.
>>
File: 41zerOCi+QL.jpg (30 KB, 244x500) Image search: [Google]
41zerOCi+QL.jpg
30 KB, 244x500
>>44113097
I once played a World of Darkness game with a player who insisted on rolling the dice onto his copy of the core rulebook, which he kept in his lap. He would roll, scoop up the dice in less than two seconds, and tell the Storyteller how many successes he'd rolled. By the end of the second session we'd all realized he was cheating and the Storyteller insisted he roll on the table from then on. He quit after the third session when his character's 'luck' ran dry and he started actually failing key rolls. In our defence we all used novelty dice where the successes were bright, easily visible colours, so it was simple for people to add up their successes in a second or two. Pic related, by the way.

I play on roll20 these days so it's harder for people to cheat, but I've seen more than a few 'misremember' their modifiers for skill checks and attack rolls. Nowadays I ask players to put all their frequently rolled checks, like attack rolls, into Macros so they don't 'misremember' them.

As a GM I've fudged a die here or there, mainly to keep the story from grinding to a complete halt. I used to be a lot worse, but now that I've adopted the "Say yes or make them roll" style of GMing I think I've greatly improved.
>>
File: 2015-09-14 18.30.29.png (128 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-14 18.30.29.png
128 KB, 480x360
>>44113097
Me and my group all started playing pretty early and we have all cheated and I think every young roleplayer have cheated a few times. It takes some maturity to be able to roll with the punches and even more maturity, plus imagination, to turn failures into character moments and arcs. Nowadays I never notice anyone cheating, except the general bending of the rules every GM does.
>>
>>44113097
I've found myself cheating if I'm playing an online session, saying the wrong number aloud.

I hate myself for doing it, though and push for using roll20 or something else everyone can see my dice.
>>
Yeah, everyone in my group including me, the DM. It's always to make sure something that will ruin mine or the players fun doesn't happen, in my case. Like, the orc doesn't drop the player unconscious yet because he's about to do something cool, or the orc doesn't die yet because it was too fast and the players are enjoying the fight. The players do it only for themselves though, just like everything they do in game. They fudge rolls, try to lie to me about their defenses, give themselves items they want without asking me if they can buy it. All that good stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 840x625) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 840x625
What's the point in RPGs if it's story based games with no capable way of "winning" and there's a demigod referee who could turn things in any direction if he simply felt like it?

The dice are there to add a degree of randomness to make it interesting, there's no competitiveness to it!
>>
>>44132768
Even if there's no specific 'Victory' state you can still succeed or fail at specific actions in RPGs. Some people are so petty that they'll cheat on the dice rolls in order to succeed more often at these specific actions. It makes them feel powerful and important when their character achieves amazing feats of daring, regardless of whether they cheated or not.

Frankly it's the same mentality as power gamers, only cheaters are willing to break the rules of the game while power gamers keep their odds-improving shenanigans within the bounds of the game's rules and regulations. RAW vs. RAI usually happens when power gamers push those boundaries to gain an additional advantage.

That's my take. You don't have to agree with me, it's all subjective.
>>
>>44132768
The illusion.
>>
File: 1448190176010.jpg (59 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1448190176010.jpg
59 KB, 200x200
>>44132467
>and I think every young roleplayer have cheated a few times
>this is what cheaters actually believe
>>
>>44123807
Seek help or jump off a bridge, Machiavelli.
>>
>>44128950
What a child. Its a damn game, no one's going to give you a hard five for getting hit.
>>
>>44134437
I cheated when I was just starting out when I treated it like there was something to "win", prior to realizing that half the fun is in failure. Our greatest moments in DnD came from fucking up so hard it was hilarious.
>>
>>44131131
The world always gets a little brighter when someone exaggeratedly asks "NANI?!"
>>
Not cheating, but while on the topic of luck.

There are two guys that I play with that are like rolling gods or something. One almost always rolls +16 and usually has about ~80% of the nat 20s rolled in any given campaign. I'd think he was cheating if I didn't watch him roll, and I'd think he'd cooked his dice if he wasn't constantly borrowing dice from other people and using those also. He still occasionally fails key rolls (usually when he uses his dice) but he almost always wins all the encounters for the entire group. And he plays beatstick characters.

Guy 2 seems to ensure that the Law of Large Numbers holds true for the other guy. If guy 1 is rolling hot that night guy 2 is inevitably rolling poorly. I've seen this guy roll 2d20 and nat 1 both rolls on an attack with advantage. I've seen him do that three times in one encounter.

Both players are aware of this oddity and make comments about stealing luck and what not. It's actually pretty hilarious.

I used to not believe in luck, but after three years of playing with these two, well, lets just say statistics must not cover everything.
>>
File: 1411516507902.jpg (86 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1411516507902.jpg
86 KB, 680x989
>>44134437
> Not even comprehending the issue
>>
>>44142067
Nothing else to comprehend.
Cheaters are cheaters, and they do cheater things like thinking other people cheat like they do.
>>
>>44113097
I DM so when I cheat it's usually in the player's favor. Can't remember the last time it wasn't, actually. And my players don't cheat- they don't need to. I let them get away with all kinds of stuff. Our games get kind of silly as a result, but that seems to be what the players want and enjoy and I like it too. Occasionally there might be a mistake or something but I know it's not intentional on their part and I help them fix it or explain it to them.

As I player, I don't cheat. I'm kind of a rules lawyer (I mean that in a good way, not the derogatory way). I couldn't bring myself to do it.
>>
>>44122580

I get you understand, Anon

In a 3.5 game, I ended up being ridiculously overpowered, between splat books and homebrewed rules. I essentially had mastery over Arcane and Divine spells. I'd pour over the spell section of the PHB and the spell compendium, avoiding cheap tricks and sticking primarily with super cool buffs for my teammates. And if we were in a jam, I'd whip out some prepared bullshit to save our ass. I tried really hard not to overshine my teammates.
>>
File: Yplh18u.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>44142230
>Nothing else to comprehend.
If you're in some sort of denial about the fact that cheating in tprpgs mostly occurs with new players... well I have nothing to say to you. Come back when you've played some more.
>>
>>44142715
And if you think that means every or even most players cheat you're just trying to make excuses.

I've taught tons of people to play and out of them only 2 ever cheated.
>>
>>44113097
As a GM I cheat all the time in RPG's often times I will adjust monsters stats on the fly if they are too strong or too weak. I will occasionally fudge a roll more often than not in favor of the players.
I have known however there was one player who would lie constantly about there rolls and then try to hide it. He was also a power gamer and the type of person who tried to make himself the main character.
>>
>>44130563
My DM gets mad at my consistently high initiative rolls but he can suck my dick because I am a Barbarian
>>
>>44129647
Spoiler: It's not true.
>>
>>44129265
I sometimes add a little modifiers there that may be suspicious, but even when people caught me on my bullshit I just tell them I have a feat for that, and when they ask me how many feats I have I remind them I'm a fighter and have many feats.

Although deep down I know they know I'm bullshitting them and just let me keep doing it out of pitty for choosing the martial class in the all caster party.
>>
File: geese.png (259 KB, 367x689) Image search: [Google]
geese.png
259 KB, 367x689
>>44143037
>And if you think that means every or even most players cheat
I'm just saying that most players have cheated during their ''Career''; of course few mature players cheat.
>out of them only 2 ever cheated.
Keep telling yourself that.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.