[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dropfleet/Dropzone Commander
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8
File: PHSHART.jpg (2 MB, 1200x899) Image search: [Google]
PHSHART.jpg
2 MB, 1200x899
If you're interested in the game, or want to know more, feel free to ask away! We'll do our best to answer your questions!

>Dropzone Commander
>Rules & Fluff
http://www.mediafire.com/view/i8wqi8486bbcme4/DZC-norules.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ib1d4982ykh79b3/DZC-nofluff.pdf

>Gameplay tutorial
http://youtu.be/enxGJE2xNb4 [Embed] [Embed] Demo Part 1
http://youtu.be/WOKwfzck_VM [Embed] [Embed] Demo Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KLuYsB5Izg [Embed] [Embed] 1500+ point Battle Report (skips actual moving and rolling, shows/explains results of each turn)

>News
http://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/news

>Events, Reference sheets, Downloads for printable buildings, roads, tokens, etc.
http://www.hawkwargames.com/pages/downloads

>Army Builder - Scenario lists, regular lists, cost to build your army, and more!
http://www.dzc-ffor.com/
http://solomonder.com/scoldzap/

>Dropfleet Commander
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander/ (Kickstarter is now over, refer to it for information about the game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDc-iWib48 [Embed] [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5xe3f5hyGg [Embed] [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3e_RNSSST0 [Embed] [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaTmNxQ_FM0 [Embed] [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92GeJ5uf6Hc [Embed] [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6AIfMdJmxk [Embed] [Embed]

Dropfleet Commander pledge manager to appear in January.
>>
need to hash out more rules on that DZC draft system that was discussed in the other thread.
>>
How necessary is magnetisation for dropships? Are there any dropships/units that definitely need it?
>>
>>44113468

Not necessary at all unless you want to visually connect the models and units together. You need a ton of magnets and it forces you to always pair drop ships with certain models.

It is better to paint markers on squads and their parent ships to ID them. Also that is much easier.
>>
>>44113280

I think I missed that comment. What were the details?
>>
>>44113988
Guy was suggesting that you had 5 minutes to build a 750 point list for a skirmish game. Couldnt look at your opponents list. After every game you could change 250 points of the list. Best 2 out of 3 results for games. Were going to hash out some more details maybe, or just go with that. Sounds like an interesting try, assuming you had the models to do it.
>>
>>44114031
Like as a tournament format or for funsies?
>>
>>44114072
both maybe, mostly for funsies I think. Started because last thread a guy posted a PHR list with a Nemesis command walker in it at 750 points, and people were concerned that would be hard to deal with at that points level. This resulted in a rapid fire back and forth of posted 750 point army lists designed to counter that one or the previous one posted. Was kinda interesting. One guy suggested doing this >>44114031
>>
>>44113960
I meant necessary in the sense of modelling, rather than gameplay. as fas as I can tell you don't need to magnetise any of the UCM dropships to physically carry the vehicles, but I find it hard to imagine any of the PHR vehicles attaching without some form of magnetisation.
>>
>>44114366
yeah if you want to attach the vehicles for the purposes of modeling you will need magnets, unless you don't mind them being permanently attached in which case you can attach everything relatively well. IF you want to be able to take things on and off you will need magnets, the PHR and Scourge are the easiest factions to magnetize, the Shaltari do not require anything of this sort (they teleport no transporting) The Resistance is a mix bag most units wouldnt need it to be transported, but there are a few and they could be a bit trickier than the PHR but not too bad. The UCM is the most difficult faction to magnetize the way their dropships hold units does not lend itself really well to immediate magnetization like the PHR/Scourge. Youd have to put them in the upper parts of some vehicles and in the dropships, this would also cause issues with the articulated turrets on most units which you would also need to magnetize so they can fold flat otherwise youd have to pose them that way so they can be transported, which might look visually poor.
>>
>>44114507
I thought the UCM vehicles clipped in? Is the grip not very strong, or does it deteriorate over extended use?
>>
>>44114564
I Dont think you could get the grip strong enough without making it a pain to get them in and out, given how often during a game you might jump in and out of a transport it might become far more irritating than its really worth. There is also the issue of the turrets, in order for sabre, rapier, katana, fireblade, gladius, wolverine, kodiak, and commander wade to fit in the transport you basically will need to model them with the turret in the flush with hull gun forward position (which would look visually boring on all of your vehicles). So if you dont mind having all your vehicles in the essentially packed pose (ie all the same) then you might be able to swing it. If you want to pose any of your tanks your gonna have major issues. Again UCM is very tricky to do this with there is alot of modeling magnetizing to deal with in order for them to fit in their dropships. Its doable but I dont recommend it unless you a very confident with your modeling skills at a small scale.
>>
File: UCM_loaded transports.jpg (132 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
UCM_loaded transports.jpg
132 KB, 1600x900
>>44114564
Here this image may give a better explanation of what im talking about as far as issues
>>
>>44114334

I think it might be cooler if you did it with battle groups somehow. It would make the game a little more narrative focused. Like if you showed up a primary force. Then 5 mins to build 2 extra battlegroups per slot. Must be a squad leader level commander or level 0 to start. After a game you could sub out up to 3 battle groups for another. You gain a small bonus for each BG you don't sub out. So if you sub out 2. You get a 25-50 point bonus to your max. If you sub out 1, you get a single commander rank upgrade plus the bonus.

I think it would force you to build mostly balanced battlegroups. Ones with a little of everything vs single task ones. The bonus points is there to help you in case putting in another group would put you slightly over the 750 limit. It isn't there for you to game the system so 50 might be a little high. The converse is if you sub 3 groups your are probably going to have a small deficit in points for trying to radically alter you list.

Fluff wise you would be Colonel deciding which companies to send into the fight.
>>
>>44114687
Ah, I'm kind of disappointed. A big appeal of the miniatures for me was the ability to physically carry units in the dropships, since I think WYSIWYG is always worth following.

Are there any dropships that can carry fine without magnets? I might just build a list around that...
>>
>>44114798
I've seen the pics in the galleries, but I had assumed the arms were tight enough to form a solid grip. Oh well, I guess I'll choose something other that UCM.
>>
>>44114839

Scourge stuff all seems to slide in without difficulty.
>>
File: Scourge Despoiler.jpg (104 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Scourge Despoiler.jpg
104 KB, 900x600
>>44114865
It depends, the Plastic condor kit has posable armatures so there is the wing horizontal piece, and then the two flaps are each their own piece and they slot it, so you can pose it a bit to get a good clamp, but again it might be difficult to get it in and out reasonably, also as you can see the middle slot is an issue due to flight stand. The resin condor grips come as a single piece, I havent checked how strong that grip is, but altering it if its weak would be tricky as youd have to carefully bend a small piece of resin. Again the main issue is the vehicles themselves without extensive magnetization of the turrets youd have to have maximum flat which would be boring from a modeling aspect.

>>44114839
The Scourge or Shatari are the only two factions that can be attached and detached for the most part with really little in the way of issue. For the Shaltari this is because they dont transport their units in the physical sense so attaching them is not necessary. The Scourge use a (pic related) CD rack design for any of their skimmers, so as long as you keep the turrets relatively flat and forward facing they can slide in and out with ease. The walker units would require some magnetization, this would be only for the Stalkers, Ravagers, Prowlers, Minders, and Oppressor vehicles, and all of these could be easily magnetized on the same level as the PHR. Unfortunately you cant avoid taking at least one or two options from that list as minders and prowlers are both scouts and you will want those at some point.
>>
>>44114828
how familiar are you with the army construction?

Hard at 750 points to build a battlegroup that is more or less well rounded due to points constraints and the fact that you cant have more than 1/3rd your points in one BG. There are also several core choices everyone would have to have, but yeah you could try something similiar to what your suggesting, i would not give out 50 points though, at most 20 free points, and no free commander upgrades, Commander upgrades would have to large an effect to be given out for free, thats 1 extra card per turn, and 1 more point to your initiative role. This can make or break a game with the right setup.
>>
>>44112580

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g5mbdozd02qy9z1/DZC+-+Reconquest+-+Phase+1.pdf
>>
>>44115125

It might be really hard or unfeasible. I just think it would be cooler.

The idea is to "force" certain groups to materialize. You could make anything you want, but you need to anticipate changes two steps ahead. You wouldn't be able to change anything per battlegroup. The way I envision it you would need 3 versions you default, a high point group (strong) and a low point group(light). The commander upgrade thing is a big deal, but the idea is that if your opponent may have just completely tailored his list to yours, while you only did a small sub possibly at a negative points wise.

Extreme Example: default is two legionaries in ravens, you then select, light as a mortar team with bear flak1, heavy two legion bear with bear flak team in condor. You show up with a 746 ish out of 750 points allowed. After the game you find out you needed to make a change. You sub out for a mortar team group. If you don't sub something else in your are going to be short a lot of points. You could leave it as is. Stand down like 60 points which essentially pays for your commander upgrade.

50 points is just some arbitrary number I picked. I just thought up the idea in like 10 mins. There aren't a lot of things in game that are 50 points flat, but you are probably right that it needs to be lower. The idea certainly isn't to let you say well I am just changing one thing here now I am at 799 and have a free command level. In theory to include a heavier squad you would have to sub in a lighter squad somewhere. The bonus is just to give some wiggle room due to the nature of having pre built battle groups.

Maybe it should have be:
If you make a single change and end up at 720 or less you can make a single commander level upgrade.

Or maybe the idea is just a dud and you are better off sticking with your original.
>>
So, how useful would you guys say the Hyperion is? Is it better to just have more Odins?
>>
>>44116026
Hyperion is very a very useful unit when used correctly, the Odin is a more in your face (for the PHR) unit. Hyperions allow you to deny firing lanes, can be reasonably walked on if you want. Fairly potent unit.
>>
>>44115962
so if I understand what your talking about you pre build a series of battlegroup options, and then you cant alter those, but you can swap them in and out, and the fewer you swap out the more bonuses you get to err in your favor?
>>
>>44113468
Scourge needs none, but putting them on and off the shelves can wear off paint.

PHR have an easy to magnetize set up with the well that can hold a magnet, and the dropship peg that can be replaced with a magnet.

Shaltari don't need that shit because goddamn teleporting space magic.

UCM need magnetizing, but are also really hard to magnetize well. You need to put them on the sides of the vehicles where the clasps go, in each of the clasps, and on any articulated turret so it can lay flat during transport (if left up, the tank won't fit under the ship, or under other tanks).

It's not necessary, though, it just looks cool if you can get it to work.
>>
>>44116721

Yes, though the main intent of the bonuses is mostly just to keep things balanced while letting you move around unwieldy battlegroups. It is not just to give out free bonuses.

I feel with just changing points at a number cap it is more about min maxing. This way it would be a little more strategic having to dance around pre set battle groups and maybe having to take a slight hit to help turn a list around.
>>
>>44112580
Friebdly reminder to not copy the [open] or [embed] next to the youtube links (or rather, delete them after copying and pasting). We've currently got a chain going.
>>
Bump
>>
>>44116686

The lasers don't really look worth it to me. Shutting down a lane seems nice. However, at 24 inches the 2 higher strength shots just seems way way better.

I guess I will have to break the Scimitars out one of these days to try it out.
>>
>>44119681

Hyperion also has Sunspear and is cheap.

Moreso a cheap and effective way to get a support slot if you are going for Helios spam.
>>
>>44119859

I just looked it up. I knew about sunspear and 1 in 6 two do two damage doesn't seem so hot. However, I didn't realize you could take one solo and they it had a 2 inch move.

The Scimitar comes in pairs and has a 0 move. Hyperion is much more flexible.
>>
>>44120028
>The Scimitar comes in pairs and has a 0 move.

They errata'd the 0 move thing. Scimitar is not 1 E stronger and has 1-inch mf for aiming purposes.
>>
>>44120321

Oh cool, that is good to know. Thank you kind anno!
>>
>>44120721
dont forget you cannot walk on a an odin and have it be worth a shit, you can walk on a hyperion or two, also make good commander body guards if you dont want him to be in combat, but need something in the unit that can reach out and touch people
>>
So: Is there anyone in the southern NJ/Pennsylvania area that plays? I'd love to bust my old army out.

And does anyone know where to watch good battle reports? Not just "Here's the starter box" again and again? I remember finding one group in Tennessee that were good for it, but I can't remember them anymore.
>>
>>44118997
I want this to be canon
>>
>>44122927
>new special Scourge dropship released
>it carries sixteen prowlers in two towers
>special rule that allows it to deploy them up to 9" away in front of the dropship
>>
>>44112580

Has anyone ever actually played a significant amount of games on that kind of table? My experience is 100% cityscape.
>>
>>44121815
I have a small group (about 3 people) around Allentown, totally cool with more.
>>44123161
I intend to make some crazy desert canyon mess at some point id like to play a non urban map.
>>
>>44123208
>I have a small group (about 3 people) around Allentown, totally cool with more.
That's two hour's drive...Closer to new york than the philly area I was hoping for.
>>
>>44123219
yeah despite how many people live around here the whole philly, new york, newark area is just a desert as far as wargaming goes, there are only two places that I know of within a reasonable drive from my house, and im only 15 min out of center city Allentown.. just absolutely dead..
>>
>>44123686

There are a couple wargaming stores in philly area. Enter the Realm in Springfield PA. Then there is Alternate Universes, which has locations in Wilmington , Holmes, and Blue Bell PA.

I believe those places play 40k at least. I have no clue about DZC though. There are probably players in the area, just need someone to build a community.
>>
>>44121815

For batreps its:

All Miniatures Great and Small
Cameron Blume
Civilian Gamer
Occasionally Frontline Gaming does as well.
>>
Anyone know any third party resources that are solid buys. Things like templates and markers or tools that make games easier to keep track off.

I saw those unit cards on the website and I am tempted to give those a try.
>>
>>44126996
Only third party stuff I've really seen has been some terrain set dressing that happens to fit the scale. Nothing much.

If ehe clear acrylic templates are in stock, those are pretty nice.
>>
According to Hawk Simon on their forum, there should be a minor rules update in January.

Including a change to the Medusa. Sounds like a nerf.
>>
Bumpan with hype

>Update #34
>Pledge manager soon, guys!
>>
So /drop/, how did your last game go?
>>
>>44123686
There's a shitload of wargaming places here near atlantic city, just none of them do Dropzone...
>>
>>44132150
Played 3 games so far, drew the first, lost the second, drew the third due to some light dropship interception/objective stealing bullshittery in the last turn, despite nearly tabling the guy. Was stupid and missed that he could reaction fire against my light dropship that was trying to flee, he then grabbed it with his lightdropship and infantry.
>>
>>44133738

That sucks dude. On the plus it sounds like you are getting a good hang of the game if you nearly table a guy and only lost because you forgot a rule.

I am still pretty new myself and gearing for a 1500. Gotta get this Phoenix and a few tanks painted up and I will be good to go. It is taking longer than I would like though.
>>
>>44132521
Then it's up to us to drum up interest in our local areas.

I've found that PHR is the faction that most appeals from a visual, eye-catching, makes people want to ask about the game aspect; UCM are great for the HFY or "good" guys faction; Shaltari have a weird aesthetic and a neat teleport mechanic; Reaistance I can't quite put my finger on, but with the popularity of the recent Mad Max, and Ork players looking to expand to other games, they do well; Scourge is probably the hardest sell - people tend to like the 'Matrix robots as imagined by H.R. Giger' look, but hate the tower dropships.

I'm going to get a PHR starter so I can at least have the four original factions represented for running demo games for interested parties.
>>
>>44128665

>Including a change to the Medusa. Sounds like a nerf.

Seriously, just bring some Menchits. Or factional equivalent, I guess. It dies to flame.
>>
>>44138850
Has there been a major tournament since the big infantry update? I'm curious about whether teching the various flame tanks might be worthwhile.
>>
>>44138850

I am just the messenger. :)

Are the flame units worth it? They seem a little to pricey for one note stuff.
>>
>>44138850
As a casual observer looking over the ruleset, I take it the way to bring down a Medusa is pointing high rate-of-fire weapons at it and hoping for a lot of 6s on your Hit rolls?

How is "Dodge 3+" different from 3+ Passive Countermeasures?
>>
>>44139866

Me too. I like the idea of a lot of infantry units. The hazards suits and mortars seem cool as hell. Seems like the Pret Snipers and the flak teams are regarded poorly on the forum. Once I am done painting what is left I am going to grab one set of each. And give them a try.

I still don't know about the flame stuff. Though it does look like a reliable way to deal with destroyers.
>>
>>44140202

Flame ignores E+ mechanisms. It's naked and A1 against it.
>>
>>44140467
I think he means the Dodge 3+ on the Medusa. I believe that's just for falling masonary though.
>>
>>44140467
Thanks, I figured there had to be something specific to Flame weapons beyond volume of shots.

I'm definitely interested by DzC. Maybe one of these days I'll end up moving somewhere that it actually sees play.
>>
>>44132150
played a 1000 point clash battle royale, Resistance vs UCM. Resistance won, pretty handily, nearly tabled the UCM. UCM player made two more or less important tactical errors. Deployed his rapiers to far onto one flank and then didnt re-position them. Also deployed his Exo infantry units too forward and got them into CQB before they could fire. Dice rolling went heavily in the Resistance favor as the game went on
>>
>>44141140
Got any lists? sounds like an interesting match.
>>
>>44137924
>Then it's up to us to drum up interest in our local areas.
I've tried, believe me. There was only one guy interested, and he was a bit of a twat. Okay, a lot of a twat.
>>
So how good is Scourge, just straight out of the battle box? I've inherited the contents of 2 starter boxes, plus 2 of the light dropships, some prowlers, and some destroyers. There's also two unassembled models, it looks like the two command options? The pancake thing and the squid thing.
>>
File: Destroying.jpg (50 KB, 775x373) Image search: [Google]
Destroying.jpg
50 KB, 775x373
>>44142705
Yep, those are the command options (flat is oppressor, squid is the desolator).

That's a pretty good start to Scourge, although you may want to see if you can fit another squad of anti-air into your lists、as one reaper squad won't meet your needs as well as you might like.

Are the light dropships alphas or betas (I'm guessing betas, to carry the prowlers)? That will influence if you should put warriors or the destroyers in APCs or alphas.
>>
>>44143137
They look like Alphas if I'm seeing things from the website correctly? The troop transport versions.
>>
>>44143236
if they've got a scoop instead of some hanging discs, they're alphas alright. You might want to pick up some Betas, to carry the prowlers you have around, and then as the other anon mentioned picking up another squad of reapers, but you have a fine starting force.
>>
File: scourge-armee-teil-1.jpg (262 KB, 1000x611) Image search: [Google]
scourge-armee-teil-1.jpg
262 KB, 1000x611
>>44143236
Alright. Well, first order of business would probably be to order a blister of the betas, so that you have transports for your prowler swarms. Without them, they'll be walking around 4" each turn, and they do their best when they can be dropped off in your opponent's lap to fuck everything up.

Warriors are your cheap troop option, and are your go-to way to dig around for intel in buildings. Destroyers are expensive, but are hard to put down, and pack the firepower to clear out buildings, and possibly harass enemy tanks (if they absolutely have to). This brings us to how you want to go about transporting them.

You should have 4 APCs (6 technically due to how the kits get a spare, each) to work with. It's up to you if you want to park your destroyers in the light dropships to zip them around the board for some building control, or put them up in APCs.

Warriors in the troop dropship give you a very fast way to start gathering intel or holding focal points, but you only fit 2 bases of them into the alpha, whereas the APC has enough room for a full squad of 3 bases. Destroyers have a max of 2 bases per squad in either the alpha or APC. The alpha doesn't limit squad size like it does warriors, and gives you a way to quickly stuff buildings - that your opponent might want - full of destroyers. This will make getting them out of the building hell or your opponent. However, this comes at the expense of fast, cheap intel grabbers.

So faster destroyers with max-size warrior squad, or faster min-size warrior squad with slower destroyers are the two current options.
>>
>>44143312
>>44143137
I have two reapers quads, though? The little guys with the taser-looking thing, right? There were six of them, three with red on the little nub on the back and three with blue.
>>
>>44143617
>two starter boxes

Shit, that's right, you would have two squads. I'm retarded, it would seem.
>>
>>44143617
oh, yeah, you're fine then. Shoot, you can probably just grab whatever takes your attention at this point. You have enough of all of the basics that you can always fill the holes in your army.
>>
>>44143739
So would you suggest the Oppressor or the Desolator, for my leader?
>>
>>44143764
That depends entirely on whichever you think is cooler.
The Oppressor is great at being a frontline commander, as its heavy armor and large amount of guns means it can go toe to toe with just about anything but a Hades and come out on top. It being loaded into a dropship will also give it a lot of maneuverability.

A Desolator is going to be better at knocking down buildings, or helping push an air advantage. She can get really badly hurt by anti aircraft, and interceptors can harry her badly, but knocking down your opponent's anti air and running amok can be a sweet thing. If every scourge tank weapon didn't have demolisher 2, it would also be worth noting that the desolator can absolutely annihilate a building in case taking it from enemy infantry is impossible.

Overall though, its really a question of which you think looks cooler and if you'd prefer to be more in your opponent's face constantly or to have a giant deathship slowly approaching.
>>
>>44143847
With the desolator, I'd recommend keeping it hidden until late game, and mostly have it take shots at buildings to burn them down, or force a ton of falling masonry rolls on enemy troops inside.

As you mentioned, it is pretty soft to AA fire, and if you lose your commander, it will fuck you up pretty bad, since Scourge loves winning that initiative roll each turn.

Late game, once it either doesn't matter, or once you have cleared out anti-air threats, you can have it pop out and nuke everything in its death blast (remember, your skimmers benefit from evasive countermeasures against the desolator AoE as long as you move them/say they moved far enough to trigger the effect).
>>
>>44141273
yeah I can grab the lists if I recall em right

UCM:
Clash: 994/1000 points

Standard Army
Standard Roster [994/1000 pts]

Field Command [365 pts]
Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A [98 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine B [64 pts]

Armored Formation [308 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]

Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]

Special Ordnance [241 pts]
Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
Scimitar Squad: 2x Scimitar, Condor [131 pts]

Resistance:
Clash: 999/1000 points

Standard Army
Resistance Standard [999/1000 pts]

Warlord's HQ [255 pts]
Alexander: M3 Alexander(Leader), AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [255 pts]

Vehicle Detachment [113 pts]
Gun Wagons: 3x Gun Wagon, NT-1 Kraken [113 pts]

Resistance Band [291 pts]
Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon), 3x MT-90 Jackson [163 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters [48 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Veterans: 2x Occupation Veterans [80 pts]

Rusted Fist [270 pts]
Hannibals: 2x M9 Hannibal, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [150 pts]
Cyclones: 2x AH-16 Cyclone [120 pts]

Infiltrators [70 pts]
Freeriders: 2x Freeriders [70 pts]
>>
>>44144323
Interesting UCM list. He might have been a little short on infantry. The resistance team also took very few vehicles to make that anti tank firepower worthwhile. Maybe cutting that Eagle and adding in another legionnaire team?
>>
>>44144490
yeah its a pretty light on infantry list, but the match was just battle royale (kill points) he actually had a pretty tough time killing any of the resistance ground vehicles, at the end of the match the only resistance losses were all 3 gun wagons, and kraken, 1 cyclone, 2 bases of free riders, and a jackson apc.

The thing he had the most headache with was the pair of cyclones, and the resistance infantry were by far the mvps, the veterans accounted for 2 sabres and a rapier, and the fighters took out both scimitars. Also had a commander face off and had the Alexander oneshot the kodiak. Some really ridiculous rolling snowballed the end of the game. I still think what shifted the game was the loss of the hazard suits to a CQB by being to far forward, and not redeploying the rapiers to hem in the left flank. But in a game to get objectives from buildings the UCM would have had too few infantry for sure. He wanted to try the Eagle and Hazard suits they were just painted, and looked fantastic.
>>
>>44144603
Oh, well if it's kill points ignore me! Your thoughts sound about right in terms of performance. It sounds like losing those Hazard suits was about all that was needed to turn the tide in the resistance's favor. I've got to ask how the Alexander got the Kodiak in range though! One of the nice things about the Kodiak is its ability to stay away from big scary tanks while fighting. guess things just started going that bad?
>>
>>44144705
As I said he had the rapiers on his left flank, I went to the deck and basically didnt drop the alexander until turn 3 which allowed me to drop him behind a small building on his right flank unmolested by air, the cyclones were already over there shooting up the place, and the kodiak was in his back board and hadnt moved to get laser shots. on the next turn after some other things I popped the alexander out from behind cover, and had to downgrade it its maingun shot to E11 to get the 24" range I needed to hit his kodiak, and hit, and rolled a 5 for damage. That really sealed the game in my favor. I also managed to get a underground monorail on turn 2 and used it to link the center building to the building right in his center line next to his scimitars. So after i dumped all my infantry into the center building when he committed his hazard suits, they mopped the floor with them in CQB, and then next turn jumped the resistance fighters in the building in his center. Turn 5 the fighters just opened up with the rpgs on the scimitars 2 bases on each one.
>>
>>44144835
So you were playing Resistance? Sounds like you played that really nicely. Those freeriders do alright as well?
>>
>>44145161
no i used them poorly, got cocky charged em up the center and they died to massed machine gun fire from rapiers/sabres. was a bad move.
>>
File: wut.jpg (42 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
42 KB, 400x300
Having seen actual pictures of the raider and screamer, I'm sort of torn. The screamer looks pretty good, but the raider is really hard for me to come to terms with.

It's a giant flying box with an aerodynamic fin on top. Also, I'm not entirely sure what to make of the weapons system on it. On the one hand, it provides a tormentor cannon without needing a second tormentor or transport, and it brings along the screamer, which is a nice utility piece. But it's also a fairly weak, short-ranged weapon.

What do the rest of you make of it?
>>
>>44146077

I kind of like it. Sure it is a flying box. However, it is like a Baroque flying Coffin. Inside is an insane and huge screaming monster. That is pretty fucking metal. I bet it would look cooler painted.

Rules wise its pretty nice. The weakness of the flame attacks is range. With its speed it can reach a lot of places and cause havoc. I kind of think you just leave the screamer somewhere on the board. The fly around Acid blasting any infantry strong points you are going to attack with your infantry. Treat the whole thing as a suicide unit.
>>
what is the minimum investment to play? if I buy 2 2-player starter sets, is it enough?

in the same manner, are 2 phr starter sets good enough for playing?
>>
>>44148578

You can play a game with just a starter set. The goal army size is 1500. But it is fully play able from anything below higher or lower as well. I think the caps I have heard of are 500 and like 3000 for sensible games.

A starter set will get you around 500 points so a pair like 1000. If you from there added in a few bigger units. You can get to 1500 pretty easily. For example:

Standard Army
Clash: 1489/1500 points
Standard Army
PHR Standard Roster [1489/1500 pts]
Hand of the Sphere [315 pts]
Nemesis: Nemesis(Councillor), Poseidon [315 pts]
Battle Pantheon [290 pts]
Battle Squad: 2x Ares, 2x Phobos, 2x Neptune [290 pts]
Battle Pantheon [290 pts]
Battle Squad: 2x Ares, 2x Phobos, 2x Neptune [290 pts]
Immortals [212 pts]
Immortals: 2x Immortals, Neptune, 2x Juno A2 [140 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Immortals: 2x Immortals [72 pts]
Immortals [212 pts]
Immortals: 2x Immortals, Neptune, 2x Juno A2 [140 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Immortals: 2x Immortals [72 pts]
Heavy Pantheon [170 pts]
Heavy Squad: 2x Odin, Neptune [170 pts]

This army contains 2 starter sets plus a pair of Odins, a poseidon, and a neptune. This will cost around 140 via miniature market website. (two starters in plastic is 88+51.6 for the others stuff) Then add in a rulebook and a set of command cards for 25 and you will be spending around 164 total.

Note this army is just thrown together. It may not be a good combination. This is just to give you an idea what you might end up spending. I don't play PHR, but the starter sets are good deals. The Phobos walkers and Neptunes make it worth it alone. In fact, another player was posting lists that were just starter set and a small commander unit at like 750 points. You could do that with just one starter set a pair of zeus with neptune and command cards plus rule book will run you 97.
>>
>>44149095
>>44148578

Note that is in USD. Commanders and Command Cards aren't necessary either really they just add to the fun.
>>
Anyone here have any experience with Marcus Barros?

I like the reduced cost to heavy stuff, and he seems like a pretty surprisingly cool dude in the fluff, but I'm a bit leery of the lack of black nanomachines on his Hades. Wondering if people find the tradeoff worth it or not.
>>
>>44149095
thanks!

how is the playstyle of each army?

I'm assuming UCM is all average, Scourge is horde and melee focused, shaltari is the tricky one, PHR is the elite with superiro firepower and less troops. is this it?
>>
>>44149708

You pretty much have it down.

UCM: All arounder

Scourge: Fast Very Short Ranged, powerful weapons. (there is hardly any CC in the game but they are shooting so close some times it is almost)

PHR: Slow durable good firepower. Some wackier units.

Shaltari: flexible, high Firepower, low armor with shields.

Shaltari use teleport gates instead of drop ships so you can deployed anything in an area instead of only what is on the dropship. Their armor is low but they are the only faction that has saving throws on most of their stuff. If other armies have it, it would be like on one unit. (PHR i think has a few units with shield)

Resistance: Slow and numerous. Powerful slow tanks supported by numerous very lightly armored vehicles with lots of guns. Fucking Cool A-10 like plane. Basically future army in Terminator crossed with 40k Orks.
>>
>>44143596
>Be thinking of what color to paint my scourge for DFC
>I know, I'll go full Geiger with blakc body and green eyes!
>It's already been done
Well, at least I know it looks excellent.
>>
>>44143596
>This hurts you
>>
>>44149934
Don't forget a few Scourge vehicles can CC other vehicles, though its usually not recommended.
>>
>>44149934
>there is hardly any CC

you're right, but when you see that a resistance player is bringing more than 3 bases of freeriders, it is time to be afraid.
>>
>>44151763
>>44152157

Well there is no denying it can be powerful. :)

I just got the impression Anon saw Scourge and thought Nids.
>>
>>44151763
>Don't forget a few Scourge vehicles can CC other vehicles, though its usually not recommended.

Man, half the fun of prowler swarms is having them scuttle over to some tanks or walkers, latching on to them, and pumping them full of plasma to turn the cockpit into a pressure cooker.

Though with stalkers, CC is clearly inferior to using the arc casters.
>>
>>44152564
you can do both man there is not alt fire on that. Also technically CQB is a melee and those are just nasty lots of people die all the time.
>>
Pledge manager out yet?
>>
>>44155075
early to mid january I think was the date for it.
>>
>>44152564
Now that you bring them up, how useful/viable is a big swarm of Prowlers?

PHR and Shaltari appeal to me as the burly and speedy factions respectively, but the option to zerg rush your opponent with little spiderbots while a doomsquid drifts in behind them seems unique to Scourge at first glance.

Not to mention that Prowlers are too cute to ignore
>>
File: Scourge - The Cavebreaker.jpg (144 KB, 1091x1600) Image search: [Google]
Scourge - The Cavebreaker.jpg
144 KB, 1091x1600
>>44156530
You'd do better by adding in stalkers and ravagers for armor, more range, and some anti-air, but you can do it.

It was at one point a dick move, since spreading your prowlers out to cover a lot of table space would make it hard for enemy dropships to find space to land safely without having to clear a billion prowlers out first.

For a fluffy walker spam list, Cavebreaker is your man. He makes prowlers and stalkers cheaper, destroyers core infantry, but at the expense of light grav tanks.
>>
>>44157784
>tfw no option for army-wide traits for more variability, rather than having to take heroes.

Seriously, it'd be fun as hell to be able to customize your commander without having them have to be named heroes;
+50 pts to your Shaltari Commander for cheaper tanks but no walkers or something like that.

I also really want the option to take particle cannon Caimans as a normal heavy choice
>>
>>44158141
I suspect this way makes it easier to balance things out. Being able to open everything up more for list building would be cool, but it adds a lot more factors to account for in terms of both internal and faction balance.
>>
>>44157784
The irony here is that I really prefer the looks and style of the Desolator over the Annihilator.

Though looking over his rules again, I take it Cavebreaker's move-fire value allows him to fly 9 inches, land, and fire his bombard in the same turn? That would make him more appealing than the walker's vanilla statline.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.