[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me ideas on how to make a viable adventurer's guild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: how does this work again.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
how does this work again.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
Give me ideas on how to make a viable adventurer's guild kind of organization for a sci-fi setting.
If this type of stuff already existed, point me the way.
>>
File: hooking into the web.jpg (415 KB, 730x1462) Image search: [Google]
hooking into the web.jpg
415 KB, 730x1462
>>44109298
>>
File: Bebop Big Shot.jpg (36 KB, 404x308) Image search: [Google]
Bebop Big Shot.jpg
36 KB, 404x308
>>44109298
>adventurer's guild
It is called the Bounty Hunters' Association
>>
>>44109766
Alternatively it's simply organized crime.
>>
>>44109766
>>44110101

I prefer it if the organization be somehow semi-legal and have a broad focus, rather than tight.

Something like Pathfinders Society for sci-fi, I guess.
>>
>>44109298
Space Instagrammers.
>>
>>44110172
The bounty hunters fit just that. Make them controlled (but loosely) by some corporate overlord regime.

Have you seen Killjoys? It isn't good. But the Killjoy organization would fit half of your description.

Killjoys are licensed bounty hunters. They work freelance and select which bounties to accept from the corp database. They get registered at a low level and can rise I think 7 levels for bigger bounties by doing what they're told well. In turn they are granted privileges like access to installations.

Corp control over the Killjoy network does not seem to be direct, rather through some shady entrepreneurs that act as management and a layer of deniability. But when they need something done, they have the pull to get it done.

Jobs can be low lives wanted for crimes, poor people skipping out on a few bills, corporate level stuff, wetwork, equipment retrieval, and anything else dirty and dumb enough to entrust it to a gang of bullies.
>>
>>44109298
Traveller's Aid Society from Traveller.
>>
>>44109298
go full cyber and make stuff happen in virtual reality with consequences, like matrix. so your adventure would consist of hacking into a corporation, opening doors, manipulating elevators, retinal scans.
>>
>>44110497

Problem is that this style of organization does not give me much leeway in changing the scope of campaign if my players or I am interested in exploration goals or other stuff. Too focus on bagging criminals for my taste.

>>44110190
Hmm, worth considering that the PCs may be hired to take vids and photos of dangerous creatures and locales for media companies. Should be both fun and hilarious to run.

>>44110533
Will check it out.
>>
>>44110797
>focus on bagging criminals
But that's just the hook. It's how the story starts, and a vignette to help you along when it gets stuck. But the real challenge lurks behind the curtain - for now.

Just think of all the possibilities, when loyalty to the organization conflicts with morality, personal profit, or local law... Suddenly you can play a game of who knows what, and who can the party keep lying to?

And it doesn't have to be mean spirited either, make it as gritty or flowery as you like. Take a cue from your character lineup. The premise works for noble heroes, questionable brigands, or over-the-top because larger-than-life. You can play it straight and atmospheric or loud and fast. Your players will know the tropes and feel comfortable breaking them when needed.

The media is full of examples to reference or steal from.
>>
>>44110965
or you can fool the players by making them do something and that something leads to bagging criminals so it's not too focused on one single thing
>>
>>44110965
>>44110998

you are probably right since I kinda like your explanation.
I think I can work up some other organizations that shell out other non-bounty contracts and are not that picky about who finish it for them, aside from competing bounty hunting companies so the players can pick and choose how they approach a situation or how they plan to extract every profit they can from a situation.
>>
>>44111079
Hey, that's the time honored way. But if you want something else...

>Smuggler network
Air America, US/Mex border cartels, slaves in freight containers, European import of Russian cigarettes

>Prospectors
Abyss, Lawrence of Arabia, Lewis and Clark expedition

>Spies
007, Bourne, M:I, Leverage

>Supernatural investigators
CoC, DG, Laundry, DF, X-Files, Buffy, Warehouse 13

>Military
SG-1, Roughnecks, Above and Beyond

>Agents of fate
Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Booth at the End
>>
>>44110533

The Scouts from Traveller are a good base too.
>>
I like Weyland Yutani.

It's a very retro future, but it just works for me.
That includes Seegson, Solomons, etc.
>>
>>44110797
>Hmm, worth considering that the PCs may be hired to take vids and photos of dangerous creatures and locales for media companies. Should be both fun and hilarious to run.

No no. They are not "hired". They do it to combat the boredom of a post-scarcity future. And to get more space likes.
>>
>>44111783
FREEMARKET!
>>
>>44111821
ennui the RPG
>>
>>44111821
YOU GET A FROWNIE

>>44112411
YOU GET A FROWNIE

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS GETTING A FROWNIE
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.