[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generic Systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: 1431321075903.jpg (58 KB, 386x540) Image search: [Google]
1431321075903.jpg
58 KB, 386x540
What does /tg/ look for in generic game systems?
>>
generic play value
>>
Support and tons of fan content for my favorite settings because I'm fucking lazy. That's why I love savage worlds.
>>
A place where I can set it down and go pick up an interesting game instead.
>>
>>44106149

Enough modularity to adapt to the setting I want to run, without becoming overbearing.

I don't really like GURPS because even the basic rules get too intense at character creation.
>>
Generality, generally
>>
I tend to only like 'generic' systems which have a particular slant or focus. FATE, for example, is a generic system, but it's entirely built around creating and supporting a narrative. That sort of systemic focus gives it something to build around, so it has interesting and developed mechanics to that end rather than just bland generalness for everything.

Mutants and Masterminds is another example, although it's a generic system it's very well tuned for the sort of over the top superheroic action you can imagine from the title.

In each case, the system is flexible enough to adapt to a great many things, but they still retain enough focus to be Good at what they try to do, rather than mediocre at everything, which is how the less focused generic systems always strike me.
>>
File: 1417642356390.gif (172 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1417642356390.gif
172 KB, 550x400
>>44106742
>>44106710
These two are why I like Strike!.
>>
>>44106794

I've heard a lot of mentions of Strike!, but no actual information on it. Any details/got a pdf to share?
>>
Honestly, I like GURPS because I have a strange fondness for generic things (I drink the bottle labeled just "COLA" for example), but when it comes to any generic system, I love the freedom and creativity that can come.
>>
>>44106814
There was a strike PDF posted a week ago, not sure I want to upload mine, but if there's a bit more interest I could I guess.

Basic rundown is:
-system is using a single d6 (or 2d6 when advantage/disadv).
-uses a very simple chargen/skill system as a base, kinda Dungeon World like, with being trained in skills giving you a better result table to roll on.
-on top of that, it has a number of optional systems: tracks are basically a talent system for out of combat stuff, there's a pretty nice system for team challenges (basically like a skill challenge, but can be used more flexibly) and chases
-one of the subsystems is in-depth combat, which is basically massively streamlined 4e combat, where you take roles (leader, blaster, controller, defender, striker) and "power sources" (like "arcane" "divine" and "martial" in 4e, except it's things like necromancer, summoner, martial artist) and combine the two to get your character. Also has feats, but instead of boring +1s, they all give you some new options. There's basically no +1s in the system at all, aside from like 2 abilities I think, so there's almost no math (aside from valuation) involved in combat.
-finally, there's a chapter showing examples about how the systems can be used to emulate popular media, by making custom skill sets/tracks/optional rules etc. to emulate AtLA, Star Trek, and a bunch of other stuff I skimmed over, with example characters
-the tone of the books is very personal/in-formal, and the forced jokes made me sigh a bit (but admittedly, chuckle a bit more), but at least it's transparent in its design goals.
>>
>>44106907
You got to post the PDF now, anon! The world depends on you!
>>
>>44106952
Uploading to 4shared.
>>
>>44106952
http://www.4shared.com/office/iJVa8zlgba/Strike_Core_Rulebook.html
>>
>>44106710
Ever hear of GURPS Lite?
>>
File: i_like_it.gif (1 MB, 355x225) Image search: [Google]
i_like_it.gif
1 MB, 355x225
I only came here to say GURPS.

Carry on.
>>
File: approve2.gif (236 KB, 768x409) Image search: [Google]
approve2.gif
236 KB, 768x409
>>44107024
I only came here to read GURPS.

Carry on.
>>
>>44106985
>>44107005
I think I got 50 new viruses on my phone from just opening that website and it still wouldn't let me download it.
>>
>>44107079
well, where do you download from?
>>
I remember a friend showing me a super simple system, 3d&t was its name.
Simple as fuck, but broken to the core.
>>
>>44107005
The hell kind of uploading platform is this?

Doesn't allow me to download unless I disable adblock.
>>
>>44106907
Also the combat system helps generate plot threads since it tracks how easy your win was.
>>
>>44107210
Yes, that is called 'protecting your revenue stream'.
>>
File: 1313348440706.jpg (170 KB, 900x672) Image search: [Google]
1313348440706.jpg
170 KB, 900x672
>>44107024
That.
Fate if you want to just narrate/make-stuff-up, GURPS if you have more interest in the Game part of RPG.
In either game you can be anyone/thing you want to be, and the GM can build any world they want to build, but once those ground-rules are set everything meshes.
GURPS only sucks when the GM says "anything goes," which I've only ever have happen once, and it sucked, because it turned into sessions-long rules debates. Just keep it to the Basic Rules + 1 setting-appropriate book, 2 at most, and it's golden.
>>
>>44107215
Doesn't allow me to download even when I disable ad block.

Now it needs me to login with my social account.
>>
>>44107239
for me it just had me wait a few seconds without signing in.

I think.

Been a while since I signed up with my throwaway gmail acc.
>>
>>44107236
The other time GURPS turns into a nightmare is if you're playing Lensman, or something else with 3000-point characters.
>>
>>44107079
>>44106907
>>44106794
I don't get the love of STRIKE! I see sprinkled across the board; I read through the book and was just not impressed.
>>
>>44107265
It's 4e with less pre-game maths and more refluff value.
>>
>>44107005
There's a bunch of ads there with "download" or "Get file" or "If download doesn't start, click here" text.

Where do I download this here?
>>
>>44107215
Also called "letting russians steal your bank account for pennies of ad revenue". Internet advertising is cancer.
>>
>>44107275
So, slow unless everybody knows exactly hat they're doing, and with the same diagonal speed issues as Quake and HL1? Or did they switch to hex grid?
>>
>>44107151
Mega or Mediafire, like the rest of the civilized planet.
>>
File: 1324966193960.png (413 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1324966193960.png
413 KB, 500x667
>>44107259
> 3000-point characters.
Why would you do that? I've only been in three groups of GURPS, and while the best/recuring group liked it grit-fantasy and played 80/-40, 150/-50 is more than enough for super heroic/fantastical characters. You can build fucking SUPERMAN with like 250pts; what on earth are you playing as at 3000pts?
>>
File: 1404688897961.gif (852 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1404688897961.gif
852 KB, 500x500
>>44106149
Adaptability to existing ideas, and inspiration for new ones.
>>
>>44107292
>Mediafire
>requires payment to download whole folders at once
Disgusting.
>>
>>44107275
This.

I also like the team challenge subsystem a lot.

>>44107287
>So, slow unless everybody knows exactly hat they're doing

It should be fast unless the players are retarded, it was streamlined to hell. You simply can not go simpler unless you remove all the abilities; which one class actually does, and just replaces it with bonus damage if your players are disabled or something, or just don't want to think.

>Or did they switch to hex grid?
Square grid stayed, but you can easily switch to hex.
>>
>>44107275
That's what I was told, but all I saw was Dungeon World, "but we totally have a grid system!" -with a little bit of Fate sprinkled in for good measure. There was no structure, or not enough to constitute what I think of when I think of 4e combat, and character creation was just a mess of a chapter.
>>
>>44107305
>what on earth are you playing as at 3000pts?
Lensmen.

Also, Supers characters are 500. Infinite Worlds and Dungeon Fantasy characters/templates tend to be about the 250pt mark.
>>
>>44107310
At least it allows to download at least one file.

Which this 4shared doesn't seem to do. Makes it useless as far as file-sharing sites go.

Good ad for ad-block, though.
>>
>>44107181
oh boy.
Played it, senor brazilian.
5 base stats:
Strenght
Agility
Resistance
Armor
Firepower

Also a huge list of stuff to fluff your character, like skills, adapting damage tipe, creating clones of yourself, transforming, codes of honor, etc.

The magic is a chapter apart and its unballanced to the point it makes no sense.

Good idea, bad delivery.
>>
>>44107329
250 is all you need to fly fast, lift houses, and shoot lasers out of your eyes; assuming you've got at least -50 to work with.
>>
>>44107331
>Which this 4shared doesn't seem to do.
It's not anybody's fault but your own that you can't set up an account.
>>
>>44107321
>not enough to constitute what I think of when I think of 4e combat
I can think of a few things it can't 1:1 emulate from 4e, but it covers a lot with very little. What did you feel it was missing?
>>
>>44107310
Stop putting up dozens of smaller items, you mongoloid. Just upload one big rar.
>>
>>44107345
Or we could use some better file sharing site that isn't run by Hitlers.
>>
>>44107340
>thinking those three along will get you Superman
You forgot about his skills and all his other bullshit powers.
>>
>>44107345
You're shilling way too hard at this point.

Literally no one uses fucking 4shared. No one. Every single Strike! thread I've been in, there's always been some cheeky fucking SA cunt raving about how good his system is, but then refusing to post the link, making up some completely naff excuse about it, and now, we've got fucking 4SHARED.

THE REASON NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT STRIKE IS BECAUSE YOU'VE MADE IN INACCESSIBLE

FUCK YOU
U
C
K
>>
>>44107356
I use UploadMB and Zippyshare for single files.
>>
>>44107376
Sites that are not run by Hitlers.
>>
>>44107369
You seem upset. Have a book.
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116
>>
FFS, I made a MEGA account and started uploading, so all you bitches can shut up about filesharing and discuss generic systems, the PDF will be along the moment my shitternet decides it's time.

>>44107398
Or this faggot beats me to it.

That works too. Thanks.
>>
>>44107181
>>44107338
Link for it in english?
>>
>>44107368
other bullshit powers aside, he's got basic investigation skills, rudimentary engineering skills, modest brawling skills, and is otherwise no better than anyone else at day-to-day stuff; skills would need like 10~20pts at most.
>>
>>44107346
you tell me it's 4e combat, I think math
Now I'm not against trimming the math fat, but we're basically playing Uno in there, or I guess Texas Hold'm would be a better analogy. You've got a handful of cards to play, and you bide your time until one is useful, or go fishing for a way to make it useful.
That's all fine and dandy, but it's false advertising.
STRIKE! is just reoriented DW
>>
>>44107450
>rudimentary engineering skills
Who was it that designed and built the Fortress of Solitude?

You still have to put points into computers and shit if you don't want people to think you're a couple IQ lower than you actually are.
>>
>>44107470
>your time until one is useful, or go fishing for a way to make it useful.

What... I... what? I just didn't get this from it at all. I'm not even entirely sure about what you mean.
>>
>>44107470
Literally have no idea what you're talking about. There's still striker/defender/controller/leader stuff, you're still having leaders handing out force multipliers and extra actions, controllers repositioning enemies and giving action denial, defenders giving zone control and pinning, and strikers doing fuckloads of damage to single targets. It's 4e, it's just not 4e with endlessly climbing +1 bonuses and a trillion character options, most of which are chaff.
>>
>>44107470
Wait, hang on, did you only read the bit about group challenges? Because that's the replacement for skill challenges, not combat.
>>
>>44107447
Good luck with that.
BTW, they reworked some rules, its called "3d&t Alpha" now.
>>
>>44107450
>basic
>rudimentary
>modest
Hahaha what? Superman is like a Reed Richards-level intelligence and at least a good a detective as Batman.
>>
>>44107368
>>44107450
Actually, just ran the numbers. It is indeed his Strength that costs the most.
With like 200pts of Disadvantages (for everything from Kryptonite, to Red Sunlight, to Charitably and a Sense of Duty, and being just a little Gullible), you can work in everything except Ice Breath, including all of his skills, into 250pts, but then you need another 200pts to make him as physically strong as he's supposed to be; even just DCAU strong. Picking up a big rig is like 25k lbs, which requires a strength of ~90.
>>
File: 1246900839238.png (273 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1246900839238.png
273 KB, 320x200
>>44107917
> Superman is like a Reed Richards-level intelligence.
You're fucking with me, right? Like, there are some one-offs, like All Star (which I lothe to no end), where he's a super-scientist, but most of the super-science he does in any setting is just reversed-engineered kryptonian tech. He doesn't actually know how most of it works, he's just using tools left to him. You could argue that puts him well above the average Joe, and you'd be right, but Reed Fucking Richards-level?
Reed I-Do-What-I-Want-Because-"SCIENCE" Richards?
Fuck off with that.
>>
>>44107957
Sure, many writers disregard his intelligence in favour of his physical attributes, but I think you can agree that this doesn't mean much. Really the issue is we're comparing Marvel and DC.

Superman regularly bests or ties with level 12 intellects, which is DC talk for "smartest people in the universe".
>>
File: 9f9[1].jpg (82 KB, 499x497) Image search: [Google]
9f9[1].jpg
82 KB, 499x497
>>44106907
>-uses a very simple chargen/skill system as a base, kinda Dungeon World like
You got my interest till this part, anon.
>>
>>44107369
Hahaha meme harder why don't you
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.