[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jousting Rules
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Jousting Knights.jpg (278 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Jousting Knights.jpg
278 KB, 1200x675
Say I wanted to create a minigame/subsystem entirely for jousting, for a game which would revolve around knights (I looked up Pendragon, surprisingly they haven't got something quite like this). Any of you history buffs got advice for what kinds of details would be needing attention in order to truly capture the feeling of jousting in dice rolls?
>>
Warhammer Fantasy used to have a minigame based on jousting called 'Joust!'. Maybe check that out for help.
>>
>>44104692
Was it a miniature game? I'm not looking for miniature type rules, I need something that would mechanically reflect the nuances or "feeling" of the sport through the gameplay. Like how Deadlands uses poker-like mechanics in some places because poker is Wild West relevant and symbolizes the escalating tension of Western films, etc.
>>
>>44104665
Factors and actions that affect the outcome of a joust and might be turned into rules or skills:

Quality of the horse. How fast does it reach a full gallop, how steady is it's gait, how calm is it?

Quality of the Knight: Horsemanship and experience is a huge part of this, how good is he at making the horse start moving or change it's speed before the moment of impact (maybe make someone misjudge their aim, you're not going completely straight at each other after all, you are both "off center". How steady is he in the saddle (weight might also be a factor here). How good is his aim, how strong is he, does he know any tricks, be they illegal or just clever (like only lowering his lance at the last moment in order to knock the opposing knights lance aside before impact)
Quality of the armour, are there any weak spots, previous damage/repairs? Are they both wearing superheavy tournament-only type armour or something more functional? (appropriate for earlier time periods or lance vs lance combat in battlefield or knights challenging each other on the road type scenarios)

What lances are being used, "show" blunt lances that splinter much easier or sturdyier ones? Or is it to the death, with sharp points?

Basically the knights are trying to hit each other with lances that impact with the combined speed and mass of two horses and armoured men and stay in the saddle. It all boils down to various ways to make your own lance strike true and transfer as much of that energy as possible to the other knights or at least get a clean hit and broken lance (a common way of scoring jousts that don't end with anyone knocked out of the saddle, knocking of crests or helmets/visors/pauldrons might also earn you a win in case both stay on their horses)
>>
>>44104665
Also, just as an example, the silver knight in the picture is wearing a very inappropriate helmet for jousting. When you impact with enough force to make a hardwood lance more or less explode, those splinters can easily ruin your eyes even if the lance tip never gets close to your helmet. That's the whole reason for the so called frog-mouth helmet that minimized vision to protect the face and eyes better, leaning back slightly at the last moment before impact completely cuts off your view of the opponent, which is one example of trading accuracy for safety, so it's something that might be turned into a risk/reward type mechanic, do you gamble on last second adjustments of your position and aim, or do you protect your face?
>>
>>44104665
What's the "feeling" of jousting we're trying to capture? Making a mechanic reflecting something like that depends entirely on what exactly you want to do.
>>
Counting down to Walkure Romanze pics.
>>
>>44105443
I think the idea of the "gamble" is key here. Everything in the jousting game should come down to the player's choice of risk vs reward. Do you attack with power or with accuracy? Do you wear lighter or heavier armor? Do you do a lot of impressive flourishes (big part of jousting is impressing the crowd) or focus on winning?

Also, you asked for it. I got to admit, it's a surprisingly good VN, if you're not looking for a literary masterpiece. It's fun, the art is passable and the writing is not bad. It's certainly miles and miles and miles better than the nakige I expected to find.
>>
>>44105742
Meant nukige*. Pretty big difference when it comes to visual novels.

Another important question is when and where the game takes place. Jousting evolved over the centuries.
>>
>>44104665
The Ill made Knight by Christian Cameron and the sequel, "The Long Sword has some of the most authentic-feeling depictions of knights, combat between men in armour and jousting (both tilting and melee) that I have ever read.

Doesn't hurt that they're pretty great adventure novels too. Really, more fa/tg/uys should read historical fiction, all the adventure and swordfighting of a fantasy novel, without pants on head-retarded worldbuilding.
>>
>>44105993
What others can you recommend?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.