[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would a setting based off Australian Aboriginal culture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: wandjina.jpg (62 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
wandjina.jpg
62 KB, 500x330
What would a setting based off Australian Aboriginal culture and mythology look like?
>>
Pretty fucking wild, OP
>>
>>44103910
Theres not a whole heap left of either, but it would need to be extremely free form since most of the ones I've seen include lots of subjective "just so" shit
>rainbow serpent gets cut open
>now the brothers are gay pride birds
Yeah making rules for that? Good luck.
But with a good group? Magic.
>>
>>44103910

Based on their current lifestyle, a lot of booze and sounds of their children and womenfolk crying.

And a lot of drugs
>>
>>44103910
Aboriginal here

There is no central aboriginal mythos like >>44103985 wants to imply

All of that "Rainbow serpent" and dream-time nonsense is just a dumbed down whitewashed kids stories uncle toms created in the 1980's in order to somehow prove we have a unique culture

Every single group of people have vastly different stories and mythos, but they are barely recorded and die off with each elder that dies

If you want a general sense of what aboriginal society was like before colonization I can give you that
>>
>>44104013
What you say is true, but there are vast reams of documentation on Aboriginal legends and mythological creatures/gods. Though incomplete, I wouldn't say it was "barely documented"
>>
>>44104046
You don't get that there is no "aborigine" culture. More than 300 aborigine languages were spoken before Cook arrived, and each language was spoken by a different tribe/people. They had their own mythology which they might or might not put down on rocks and so on.
These survive but only as a record of that people, not aborigines as a whole.
>>
>>44104046
While there is documentation and some of it is extensive it only comes from very select groups of people

What I meant to imply was that there are groups of people that we know absolutely nothing about and because of this aboriginal society as a whole is barely documented

I mean in the same way that people say "Native american" people think of a sioux warrior in a buffalo skin tent the majority of sterotypes and legends from aborginal people come from the central desert peoples like the Pitjantjatjara people and the Warlpiri people
>>
>>44104082
>300

I've heard estimations closer to 700 but thanks Pham you expressed my point more eloquently than I did
>>
>>44104088
Too easy m80
>>
>>44104083
>>44104082
True, but for the purposes of this thread let's just lump Aboriginal together the same way "African" and "Indian" are in threads such as these because otherwise its very hard to talk about
>>
>>44104134
Ancient astronauts.
>>
>>44104134
Okay well I'm >>44104013

and I can give you a general outline of what life would have been like for my mothers people (the Yilba people) before colonization

Basically every single aspect of a persons life was governed by religious laws and taboos, Who you talked with, married, hunted with and engaged in spiritual stuff with (Ritual mutilation and exhaustion induced visions) was dictated by a schema created by the elders of the clan based on you genealogy and your totemic animals

So for instance lets say I had a male cousin, his tribe and "law (that's what I''m going to call this social organisation for the sake of brevity) may forbid me from ever being in the same proximity from him, or conversely we may have to marry the same women and both have sex with her

This "Law" was the the lense through which every individual viewed and interacted with the real world and the spiritual one

>>>Cont 1
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 263x191) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 263x191
>>44104185
>>>Cont 2

You were introduced to your "law" from childhood as you progressed through your entire life through various rights of initiation, For men these usually involed ritual mutilation (Scarification of the sholders and chest, Tatoos, orgies, circumcistion etc) for women I have no idea since it's womens business and my mum can't really talk about it with me at all (There are huge tabbos surrounding knowledge,Men are not meant to know anything about "Womens buisness"' and vice versa, my grandfather would probably be very very angry to tell you all this btw)

Each level of initation would merit you taking on another name and social roles and responsibilities

Outside of this rigid code of behavior people mainly spent their time either hunting or preparing spears and nets for hunting, People hunted with spears and ambush and in some places used pic related to get more distance with their spear throws (It's popularly called a woomera but I have no idea what it's called in my mothers language)

Outside of that there were large festivals associated with stellar phenomena and seasonal changes where people would gather to dance. The dances were stories and about creation, physical events happening and a way to kind of bridge the mythic and the real worlds

cont
>>
>>44104241
Stories were incredibly important to people and people held life debts and grudges over their entire life, This was the cause of most the fighting between peoples, honor killings and revenge for bloodshed

Combat between groups was ritualistic, champions would fight for each group with clubs or spears

Personal disputes were usually settled with banishings or murder

Peoples diets consisted of lizards, insects and underground tubers, and when lucky gonna meat or maybe even a kangaroo

This is pretty much All I can think of off the top of my head if you have more specific questions feel free to ask
>>
>>44104264
Interested in the totemic animals. How much influence do they have?
>>
>>44104185
>>44104241
>>44104264
What do you think of the way Aboriginal people are portrayed in fiction?
>>
>>44104185
>>44104241
>>44104264
That's really cool. What part of Oz are you from, cos I've heard that the intense mutilation is a desert thing.
>>
it'd be poison, about poison and about the dreaded gympie-gympie which is basically nature saying fuck off, human.

it's be great.
>>
>>44104241
>It's popularly called a woomera but I have no idea what it's called in my mothers language.
White Ausfag here, standard English vocab would generally refer to that as an atlatl (Aztec name for it).
>>
>>44104280
A huge deal, The taboos surrounding them are very private and personal to individuals and they made up a huge part of someones "law'

However the animals are not really anthropomorphised, Rather it's the people that take on aspects of the animals, So someone like me who has a turtle as a totem (My mothers people are not coastal but she grew up in Brisbane) are associated with story tellers and also lairs and jokers

>>44104294
Fiction is fiction, I think as a whole my people are generalized to a huge degree and like I've said in previous posts it's mainly because the most well understood groups are the central desert people

I don't blame people for being ignorant, I'd rather they mentioned us and got it a little wrong than we were just ignored entirely

>>44104296
I live in Canberra but my mothers people are from central western Queensland
>>
File: yara.jpg (10 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
yara.jpg
10 KB, 181x279
>yfw reading about yara-ma-yha-who
>>
>>44104334
That's just what a dirty lyin' turtle would say...

But seriously this shit is fascinating. Not sure if I'd play a game with it though.
>>
>>44104387
It could be cool RPing a group of dutch or portugese explorers trying to find gold or something in the interior
>>
For this to be represented on table top we'd need so many tables to roll on...
>>
A setting where the PCs become magical shitposters and have to derail discussions?
>>
>>44104456
how so?
>>
The Native Australians have a complex mythology and a culture whose rituals of singing and creating art help to keep the cosmos in order.
The Gagaju of Kakadu in particular are responsible for causing wildfires sooner than they would occur naturally during the dry season so that the wildfires never burn too much of the land.
They believe that specific boulders, mountains and other features are literally gods, and their creator god is a huge boulder in the middle of a lake. He's sleeping there since he's tired from creating the universe.
Given the whole Dreamtime thing (an alternate dimension/afterlife of the Australians) I think that magic should not exist in any really tangible form in the material world.
The magic happens in your sleep, when you experience the Dreamtime with all the other people in the world.
Sort of like if everyone in the world went to a shared Inception Dimension when they slept. People fight, play and create art out of nothing as they dream together and during the day, they perform the rituals and important task of tending the land so that they may maintain both worlds.
You can do anything you want and look like anything and create shit in this magical dreamworld, but it is not infinite, but super duper fucking huge anyway.
You can't die, but things can get inside your brain and drive you crazy.
>>
>>44104484
So many different groups with different cultures, each person having different rules to live by.

You could figure it all out yourself, or just make a bunch of very large tables to roll on when encountering a new group/individual.
>>
>>44103910
>abbos
>culture
>>
>>44104013
Another Aboriginal on 4Chan, never thought I'd see the day.

I'll see if I can gather what I can about the Kokotha and Mirning tribes, my tribes.
>>
>>44107670
Gee Anon, how come the Dreamtime lets you have TWO tribes?
>>
>>44104334
thank you so much for this. This inspired me something fierce
>>
A bunch of white cunts come and fuck everything up oh also now I'm garbage tier human??
>>
File: 1343790884388.jpg (459 KB, 1024x795) Image search: [Google]
1343790884388.jpg
459 KB, 1024x795
>>44107670

>Aboriginals on 4chan

Shit if this was /int/ or /pol/ and there were abbo flags it would be the rarest of rare flags.
>>
>>44103910
>drink petrol to restore HP
>>
>>44107013
>white Australians
>culture
Viral culture doesn't count, mind you.
>>
>>44108366

swap the australian flag to abbo for a day and watch the fuckin' petrol bomb...
>>
>>44108391

without us there would be no booze or petrol for you to fuel your rage with.
>>
>>44108430
Why do you assume that everyone who thinks Aussieland is stupid are Abbos? You've got quite a rep worldwide, you know.
>>
>>44108453
>>44108430
Yep, violent culture and cultural void both come to mind.
>>
I remembered australian tv has trigger warning for Aboriginal for images of dead people appearing on tv, avoidance of naming the dead it seems.
>>
>>44108391
Fuck off abbo
>>
You already made this thread this month, OP

but I don't blame you
>>
File: road train.jpg (118 KB, 800x563) Image search: [Google]
road train.jpg
118 KB, 800x563
>>44103910
>a great metal serpent has been killing your tribesmen in their sleep
>>
>>44112255
>in their sleep
They chose a hell of a place to take a nap, then.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.