[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know what I would even google for this question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1405369369642.jpg (108 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
1405369369642.jpg
108 KB, 300x449
I don't know what I would even google for this question so I'm shitting up this board with my retardation

How do you determine how high a roll has to be in order for it to succeed? It's such a basic thing but I never found anything exact after a quick search. Right now my group just uses anything 10 and above for nearly anything which doesn't separate telling a guard you're here on official business and to let you through or telling that guard to commit suicide
Now this doesn't seem like something one would type out to me so would someone kindly point me towards the page/s in the handbook or some resource
>>
>>44099997
First you need to figure out what roleplaying game you're supposed to be playing and tell us what it is.
>>
>>44099997
Depends on the system.
>>
>>44099997
It's based on the system, good systems have an underlying math that governs how easy achieving various numbers is.

Please, tell use which system.
>>
>>44100044
>>44100063

told you I was retarded

D&D like the casual I am
>>
>>44100083
Which one? There've been, like, half a dozen of those by now.
>>
>>44100098
3.5e
>>
>>44099997
Here http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm
>>
>>44100144
thanks, homeslice
>>
>>44099997
>determine how high a roll has to be in order for it to succeed?

I'd think about some statistics.
>how likely should it be for a random schmuck to do this right
>what about someone who's a rookie at it?
>someone who's a professional?
>someone who's one of the best?

Then you look at probabilities and target numbers. In D&D 5e for instance, a DC 20 knowledge check is one that ~3% of randomly-selected people would know off the top of their heads, while 20% of novices can get it right, as would 35% of experts, and the best in the world have about 60% chance. That improves considerably if the experts can get advantage (perhaps from a library or something?). That lets you know that a DC 20 check represents something really fucking hard; you can't expect a regular person to know it, and even the pros routinely get it wrong.
>>
>>44100083

OP, 3.5fag here, just use 10 or 15 as the default for most basic checks. This means characters should pretty much automatically succeed later on, but that's just basic tasks. 20 to 25 is a harder task.
>>
Im really starting to think I am the only one who bothered to read the phb and dmg before playing.
>>
File: 1425870350001.gif (539 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1425870350001.gif
539 KB, 480x270
>>
>>44100603

You are. It's even worse with Dungeon World fags because they use 3.5 as their primary strawman, and ignore the fact that the 3.5 rules even have shit for partial success and for not being a total slave to the rules, and using DM-set DCs to save time.
>>
You literally want us to read the fucking rulebook for you.

Jesus Christ, are you missing a chromosome or something?
>>
>>44100713
It kinda gets out of hands sometimes when I see people scream optional rules as core, then turn around and scream 3.5 doesnt have something that is core in 4e/5e that was an optional rule.

Not as bad as those that think natural 20 or natural 1 do anything outside of combat or in very specific circumstances. Hell, even if you use the "fumble" optional rule for natural 1, you still get another roll to stop it.
>>
>>44100794
Frankly i enjoy rewarding players on 20s and having consequences, hopefully of the funny variety, on 1s
>>
>>44100603
I don't think I've ever been in a 3.5 group who actually played by the book. Most either: become a slave to the raw while ignoring a ton of shit, or play super duper loose.
>>
>>44100871
If you drop your sword every 20th swing, then you're in a three stooges sketch, not a heroic fantasy adventure.
>>
>>44100965
Stooges would drop sword on 3rd swing at the latest.

Also, each attack roll isn't one swing, it's meant to simulate an exchange of blows over 6 seconds, and yes, in exchanges of blows, people do get disarmed.
>>
>>44100728
>f*cking

Please get out.
>>
>>44101117
>attack roll isn't one swing, it's meant to simulate an exchange of blows over 6 seconds

Maybe in 2nd edition, but the rules don't treat it that way anymore. Three attacks means you shoot three arrows, or swing three times. Crossbows only shoot once per turn unless you get a feat. When you get an "extra attack" that means you attack one more time. It doesn't get much more clear than that.
>>
Do not make them roll if:

>they are asking information from a friendly npc
>it is a class/race feature
>if it is anything that their character should be able to competently do 9/10 times

Make them roll against a DC 10 to 15 if:
>actual athletic shit
>actual knowledge shit
>negotiations with neutral parties
>climbing steep hills

Make them roll against a DC 16 to 20 if:
>hiding from the secret police
>deciphering forgotten texts
>attempting to run up the wall, jump to the banister, and climb up safely

Make them roll against a DC 20+ if:
>taming a young wyrm
>negotiating your employment after your boss finds you strung out on crack in the supply closet
>lockpicking a master lock
>hiding after squeezing a feminist's tit
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.