[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/ homebrews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 31
File: Engine Heart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Engine Heart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
How come /tg/ never makes games anymore?
>>
>>44097957
Have you even bothered to look in the homebrew thread?
>>
File: 11k c.gif (27 KB, 414x341) Image search: [Google]
11k c.gif
27 KB, 414x341
>>44097957
I worked on EH with Viral and I don't feel the need to make new games. There are many great systems available. I make scenarios.

I hope I get my online investigation finished before the shotgun deadline is up.
>>
>>44097957
Making a game is exhausting and time consuming. Not to mention the wide variety of systems in the market right now means that finding a proper niche is hard as fuck.

I've seen plenty of new systems on various threads, but they tend to cover stuff that's already been covered by professional systems, so people generally ignore them.
>>
>>44098949
cool I helped with the art for the book what did you do?
>>
>>44098949
>that pic
Would they stock it?
>>
>>44097957
Wraith World is the best homebrew that /tg/ has shat out this year. Lighthearted fantasy fun, and your memorable PC's come back as mini-bosses per RAW. The levelling system is the most creative i've seen in a homebrew ever, and the rules are light enough to pick up easily. I just wish I could play it with anyone!Actually a revival of some Anon's old group's homebrew, but /tg/ helped in it's resurrection.
>>
>>44099408
You're right, I forgot about that and it's awesome
>>
>>44099408
care to share it? Sounds interesting
>>
File: MDA2016.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MDA2016.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44097957
I do. I just have project ADD. I'm about halfway through a rebuild of Mini Dungeon Adventures.
>>
This is one of the very few things where quest threads are actually at fault.

Before the rise of quests, we'd often have long, involved homebrew threads that went on for a while, discussing a specific premise or concept in depth and iterating on it bit by bit. It still happens, but less than before as it's hard to gain traction with a clogged up front page, and the speed of quest threads means they fall off the board faster.
>>
I tried making one with a guy here. It was fun and he was amazing for the work he did, but interest just never really took off. After awhile, giving ideas and him implementing them, but no one to give input or opinions, we eventually just stopped.
>>
>>44102733

when i saw you blame quest threads i thought it'd be more that all the creative energies go into those threads instead of trying to come up with long-term projects

but wraith world is kinda proof that concept > response time with homebrew
>>
>>44097957
I made one, a board game, and now I'm on the drawing board trying to go back to it and fix it. But I've also got job hunting, fiction editing, actual work, and writing a quest to deal with so I never post about it here. I might also try to learn Tabletop Simulator so I can import assets and playtest the game with a wider community than what I have now.
>>
>>44099408
>>44101639
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Wraith_World

Did this thing get a PDF yet?
>>
>>44102608
I've been working on a d12 homebrew too. I like the idea using d12s because they're so easily divisible, like the old pre-decimal system of currencies.
>>
>>44102733
>>44103119
I do think there's something to the argument that QMs taking on quests and civ threads has meant they don't occupy homebrew threads as much, but I think it's also to do with /tg/'s shifting userbase. There's just a lot fewer DMs and people with game development interest compared to players than before.
>>
Hey /tg/. I was thinking of creating a miniature game with the emphasis on creating an army of dinosaur riding marines go head to head. How does that sound?
>>
>>44103222
Too flavor of the month and it wouldn't have enough diversity to support a persistent and growing playerbase.
>>
>>44103181
On the wiki. Bottom of the page.
>>
>>44103309
I like it!
>>
>>44097957 (OP)
Here you go, a homebrew game that I came up with. Never playtested, but the rules are meant to mimic that Homeworld process of gathering resources, skirmishing, building up your fleets, and then unleashing some big ships
>>
>>44103261
I could add things like alt race/factions, anti dinasour inf/vehicles, super units, etc to give it diversity.
>>
Fluff is easy, crunch is hard. I've been working on a not-Africa setting, but I can't crunch for shit so it has no dedicated system which makes it a little harder to completely fill out.
>>
>>44103424
Just d20s.
>>
>>44103400
Then you have too many models and your costs will easily exceed your profits from selling small numbers of them, unless you price them appropriately for small batch production in which case you're going to price out most of the non-modeller market.
>>
>>44103715
Well first i wanted to make the rules and see if people enjoy them. Then i'll think about investing into creating models for the units.
>>
>>44097957
i dunno, why dont you?
>>
>>44103222
Get the old license for Dino riders and have it ride for a bit off the wave of nostalgia. If that works you can do Thundercats, Silverhawks and Wheeled Warriors expansions to pretty much have a Saturday morning cartoon wargame.
>>
File: Fuck ya nigga.gif (494 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
Fuck ya nigga.gif
494 KB, 500x275
>>44103826
Thats actually pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>44103698
Fuck d20s.
>>
>>44103762
Make the rules and post them in a PDF like >>44103328, then ask us about it.
>>
>>44103222
Alright so far i got an idea on the dinosaur system.
There will be light, Medium, and Heavy
Light will not be able to have a pack on them(some can have 1 pack) but they can carry up to 2 inf. They are faster and smaller then there heavier counterparts making them harder to hit.
Medium Will be able to carry up to 2 packs(some can carry 3). There a little easier to hit then light but there not as big of a target heavy are. They also have much more hp then a light making them more durable but not as durable as there heavy counterpart.
Heavy are exactly as you'd imagine them. They can hold up to 3 packs(some can hold 4) and even have special attacks that light and medium cannot have. They may be a bigger target but they can be used as heavy cover for inf and light dinos.
Packs are essentially attachable parts of equipment a dino can have. They can be inf transport, turrets, missles, cannons,etc
>>
A couple people and I made a system for playing overblown Mary Sue characters in a thread discussing which was worst: Edgy, Kawaii, or Random characters. We didn't choose a name but I'm ok with Mary Sue RPG for now.

In this system you make a ridiculous over-complicated character by picking random traits, up to three half races and classes and abilities and items and allies if you wish.

Basically as much as you want. You assign whatever numbers you want (and can justify) to each aspect of a trait.

A lot of Edgy traits are not Kawaii and might come with a penalty. Undead are not kawaii, but undead schoolgirls are.

Technically you have a level, but it instead marks the number of times you've been defeated and have grown more powerful in response to that loss.

You only die when you are bored of your character and want to make someone new.

I've decided to embellish a little since I've done a little more brainstorming. If anyone wants to add on, please do.

>xX_Edge_Xx: Combat Stat
>~*Kawaii*~: Social Stat
>RandomXD: Everything Else Stat

The first character I made had high edge, medium Kawaii and Random scores. Mostly a combat character but with utility.

It doesn't really matter if one character has higher scores because of the dice mechanic.

You take your stat and you wager a number of points, as much as your total stat but at least 3.

All you have to do is roll more matching numbers than the opponent, or of a higher number. If you lose the role, you fail the action and those dice are removed until you can recover.

So if you have 10 dice in a stat, and you roll five for an action and lose, the maximum number of dice you can roll for another action is only 5.

The game is basically just Mary Sue cockfighting with a dice betting system. Usually it's not a fair fight against NPCs but when they win they beat your Mary Sue spectacularly.

Then it's up to the Kawaii and Random characters to figure out a non-combat way to deal with the enemies.
>>
>>44104247
What if when you die, you immediately are transformed into something else, somewhere else, sometime else. You keep your old memories at will, or become a blank slate at will. Because of this the dying, but becoming stonger is helped along as well as most power playing backstories and limited or overly fleshed out backstories are possible.
>>
>>44104349
You can choose whatever you want.
If your character dies, they might just wake up stronger and different and say "I just traversed the entirety of a strange hell-dimension full of monsters, but because of the flow of time years for me felt only like a few seconds here.
Your defeat might cause your Half-Angel/Demon/Dragon to awaken their werewolf ancestry, or summon a new spirit companion to protect you.
You just need some sort of explanation. It doesn't need to be good.
I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest, but this system isn't intended to have any specifics on setting, lore, or serious eschatology involved.
You could make a character that rips of traits from multiple cultures and different mythological stereotypes at once.
>>
I had this really stupid idea for a board game that would basically be Mouse Trap, but with mad scientists and their creations like in the movie Igor. It started off as a straight-up "kill the monster" game, where one player would be the monster and the other players would be the mob and its leaders trying to hunt down the beast.

Then at some point I decided that was boring. The setting became Schwarzylvania, the long-suffering nation of mad scientists, necromancers, vampeers, and lawyers who established a dark technocratic kingdom ruled by the winner of the Great Monster Mash, the competition between the five Dark Ivy universities and their monstrous creations to determine who was best-suited for ruling the nation and, eventually, the world. There'd be a card-based system for building your own monsters, with additional effects if you built it in a certain classically gothic way, depending on which uni your character came from. And these creatures would "compete" to complete certain objectives on the board, with the winner being the person who got the most peasant heads from completing these objectives.

Of course, you could also turn your monster on another competitor and their monster, thus knocking them out of the competition and triggering a free-for-all for their heads. The defeated player could then work on leading an uprising among the peasants, which could upend the board and result in them coming from behind to win the game by establishing themselves as the new boss of Schwarzylvania, just as bad as the old boss.
>>
I had this dice mechanic concept but I'm not sure how workable it is. d6s are placed in the character's 5x5 grid after being rolled and every matching dice it touches increases the power of the roll. Then there abilities that consume dice from the grid, some requiring specific patterns of numbers.
>>
>>44104476
how would you determin where to put the dice?
>>
>>44099272
Not that guy, but I wrote several scenarios for it.
>>
>>44104507
By putting it anywhere you want. Forgot to mention two things: the grid would start off filled(with whatever numbers you want), and you could place dice either in free spaces or over by overwriting other dice.
>>
This is one of the few times that blaming quest-threads is actually possible. Not even due to the people making the questthreads who may as well be /a/ posters for all that they actually contribute to /tg/, but the rapid pace of updating quest threads means that a homebrew project has a lot more difficulty attracting much attention aside from the initial 2-5 posters because of the fact that they get pushed off of the front page so fast and end up in the catalog.

I helped to craft up a really fun and vibrant homebrew setting in 2013, and while we did still have quests, they weren't near to the level of saturation that they are now. We ended up with 5 full threads of fun and a small group off of the board, but in two attempts in the recent year to have another thread, they get about 50-100 posts before falling off. And it's pretty common. I remember the last Night Shift thread this year was made a year on the one-year anniversary, and it just slid off of the board without even autosaging.

I don't really care that much because I understand that /tg/'s glory days of 'Get Shit Done' have passed. The board just doesn't really devote itself to projects like it used to, and if a group does get started, they quickly move off-board because modern /tg/ isn't conducive to the long-lasting discussions that were possible when it was a slower, more deliberate board. I mean, hell, I can't even remember the last time we had a 24-hour game design contest, much less one that produced anything of merit.

Until JapMoot blesses us with a /quest/ board, /tg/ probably won't make anything to the level of Engine Heart or Dungeons: the Dragoning ever again.
>>
>>44099382
It was during its kickstarter run. Viral was giving free copies to stores that contacted him. It wouldn't do any good any more.

I still super regret not getting a hardcover Engine Heart when I had the chance since it seems Viral disappeared forever.
>>
>>44104648
desu senpai pretty much all of the OC creators have left /tg/. Whether devs like Viral or the legion of writefags and drawfags, modern /tg/ is basically 80% consumers, 14% shitty Civ Makers / QMs, 2% good QMs, 4% CYOA.
>>
>>44104648
>since it seems Viral disappeared forever

I used to talk to him every day. Hope he's okay.
>>
>>44104680
They're not even consumers. They don't comment on homebrew stuff or anything and just go "Oh it's a shitty homebrew, not interested."
>>
File: 1399271229081.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1399271229081.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
>>44104699
At least they have ebin maymays, though.

At this point, I really don't even know what to think of modern /tg/. I mean, if JapMoot makes a /quest/ board, maybe it will return towards normal, but the Nazi Mods have still driven away a lot of the old creative energies. Those old drawfags aren't coming back. And whether you liked it or hated it, at least the Weekend Smut Threads were actively creating new content and giving feedback and critiquing one another. It's just quest threads, CYOA threads, filename threads, and generals.

It feels a little sad that it has gotten to the point that I probably spend more time laughing at /pol/ than I do posting on /tg/, and most of my college friends are the same. Guess it's just a part of getting older.
>>
>>44104699
>They don't comment on homebrew stuff or anything and just go "Oh it's a shitty homebrew, not interested."
To be fair, it requires a fair bit of work to sift through people's often half-formed, half-baked homebrews. I tend not to even go to the homebrew threads so as not to get invested. Otherwise, I feel bad for folks who aren't getting feedback, and end up spending an inordinate amount of time analyzing their systems and giving lots of feedback... which usually gets disregarded, as folks are too attached to the way they've already done things and tend to just ignore any points of concern. Also, I don't really get any feedback to speak of when I post my stuff, so why should I bother with other people's? (Homebrews tend to be like amateur poetry: the only stuff people find interesting is their own.) But being who I am, if I didn't comment, I'd feel bad, so just being in the thread is an unpleasant experience.
>>
>>44097957
Just gotta find the right threads, anon. Sometimes they are hidden under the guise of a different topic. Or hit the Homebrew General.
>>
>>44104863
Generals are part of what killed the board. If you make something related to one of the big franchises, you just get shoved into the general.

I blame the mods for driving away everyone creative that isn't a QM. Most of the good QMs aren't even here anymore either, since anti-Quest trolls drove them away. We're just /b/-lite.
>>
>>44103207
I could see that, but at the same time, sometimes people are just looking for a patch job instead of a full custom system for a game idea.

That said, there is still plenty of work to do, and given time, it could be that more of the new population here for the quests will also branch out into the other threads even more, trying to help. Also helps when an idea is pitched at a part of the season that really catches interest, like Nightlight was a fun venture to be in the threads for. Think I'll always remember that around this time of year.
>>
>>44105021
I actually do both homebrews and quests. I like quests because I can just be creative, and then the homebrew I don't share on /tg/ because I know the quality of feedback I'll get isn't there.
>>
Quests on /tg/ were always shitty. But since /tg/ was designated the CYOA containment board for all of chan it hasn't been the same. It had two effects:

A torrent of maymay tardos following the mods' direction and making /tg/ their new home board, dropping the communal creativity of /tg/ to values that no longer register on any scale of relevance.

And a time-to-page11 that is no longer conducive to day shift and night shift belaboring the same threads from different perspectives, inspiring each other and creating topics that last weeks without artificial bumping. Time to die for a thread is now around 2 hours, not enough time to collect people interested in a topic more sophisticated than art dumps.

>>44105030
So /tg/ is here to tell you how great you are, even if you half-ass it? Nah, man.
>>
>>44105030
Sorry, and if I were a good source of critique I would offer trying. Just rarely think of any questions or critique, and the best I ever manage is shit reskins on my own.

>>44105094
Oh, come now, you hardly know their quality. For all you know they really want criticism to try and make a game of their own.
>>
File: outrage.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
outrage.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>44097957

There's a goddamn homebrew general up right now.

I feel similarly to >>44105014
General threads are really just cordoning off sub-communities into smaller forums. This severely limits cross-exposure on the board.

This is 4chan. Topics aren't meant to be cordoned off into their own little string of threads. Homebrew is a good example - in the old times, a homebrew dev would make a thread for their project, and lots of people would see that as a topic and choose to comment or not based on the content of the opening post.

Nowadays, the board relegates things to the "appropriate general thread" and people who don't check that specific thread will see none of it. I know I participate much less in homebrew than I used to.

I only hung out in homebrew threads that caught my eye - I helped on the Magic RPG homebrew because I'm into MtG. Similarly, I checked out Lunar Reckoning 69 and did a little playtesting because Armored Core is my jam, and I saw a thread opener that said "homebrew mecha RPG inspired by Armored Core."

But Homebrew General? Why would I go there?
>>
>>44105094
>So /tg/ is here to tell you how great you are, even if you half-ass it? Nah, man.
Kind of illustrating his point there. champ.

And /tg/ was never truly communal. 9/10 that 'made on /tg/' project had two brain storming threads then a couple anons kipped off to an irc and worked on it in private, delivered the product x months later, and the rest of /tg/ claimed 'they made it'.

The reason a lot of creatives have gone off /tg/ in general is that lack of appreciation for what they do. You all steal other people's credit under the banner '/tg/ gets shit done' without doing jack shit yourselves.
>>
>>44105328
Cute, but dead wrong. I've seen countless homebrews. Anyone using that label is looking for attention, not feedback. Creative people might call something their homebrew in a sentence. But people presenting something labeled homebrew instead of whatever the game is about are not looking to make better games, they are fishing for compliments.

I have myself generated more than ten PDFs just for /tg/ over the last few years. I won't post them in a neg thread. But the feedback I get here has always been helpful. It's a bit random and shouty, but it offers perspectives I hadn't considered almost every time, helping me improve my ideas and the way I get them across.

'Creatives' who are here to get smoke blown up their asses can leave. We're better off without them. And I've never seen anyone steal credit on /tg/. Not from me and not from others. These ideas are here to be shared, and no one claims they're theirs. Unless they are.
>>
>>44105431
>I have myself generated more than ten PDFs just for /tg/ over the last few years. I won't post them in a neg thread.

I believe you about as much as I believe the homeless guy down the road that says he's St Paul.
>>
>>44105483
That's fine. It wasn't my point. I'm not here for profile.
>>
>>44097957
/tg/ the collective never made games to begin with. Someone who frequents /tg/ will occasionally make a game and then fags like will claim "we" got shit done
>>
>>44102733
>Before the rise of quests, we'd often have long, involved homebrew threads that went on for a while, discussing a specific premise or concept in depth and iterating on it bit by bit
We still have those abd they're still just as shitty as they used to be.

See: Disney Villains Victorious
>>
>>44105514
I see your shitty Millenial meme setting and counter with Planes&Mercs.

Also quest threads were always a pain but never a problem. It's when the people who call it CYOA started pouring in that /tg/ went to shit.
>>
>>44097957
/tg/ wrote a rules-light Mary Sue RPG just last week.
>>
>>44105431
>I have myself generated more than ten PDFs just for /tg/ over the last few years
Right, because the female assets generator is quality work.
>>
>>44105553
Yes, the level of fecal, sexual, and outright disgusting themes has risen dramatically with the eternal September of 2014.

I have generated just one document that even implies such a context, and not as a main theme. The content was made by /tg/ in a thread that became very emotional but had a healing tone throughout. I found it empowering and worth sharing, I still post it from time to time. People never spas out over it.
>>
>>44105596
>a healing tone
>I found it empowering
The way you speak disgusts me.
>>
>>44105620
yes, hate machine
>>
>>44105630
>hate machine
You really do sound like a fucking faggot. What cancer site have you escaped from?
>>
>>44105676
Abuse your dog, kid. I'm not here to be yelled at.
>>
>>44105685
No, you're here to pretend you've done work. Put up or fuck off.
>>
I had this idea for a game after watching a few too many episodes of political comedies like Veep and The Thick of It, where the idea is that you're members of the same department trying to avoid being the guy who has to get fired due to a recent scandal that has somehow been determined to be your department's fault. It's not intended for long-term play, it's got some PVP elements but in a more Fiasco-y kind of way and one of the main mechanics is The Buck - a kind of "hot potato" that represents where the axe will fall after a certain number of turns and the best you can do is keep the Buck from stopping with you.
>>
>>44106320
>Veep
>political comedy
Oh I'm sorry. I thought I was on /tv/ for a sec there.

Do you know Yes, Minister?
>>
>>44106362

I've heard a few episodes of the radio version, though I've not sat down and watched the TV version.
>>
>>44106381
It's on YT. Might be just the thing for your tone.

If you want it a bit less lovey-dovey, have a look at Utopia. Only a side plot is on a political level, but it's great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0
>>
>>44105211
Personally, its "world building general" that saddens me. That's everything wrong with the current system in three words.

The other issue (apart from General balkanisation, and the incestuous communities that develop from it) is that the change to prevent Ops from bumping their own threads means that threads have to hook immediately or else they automatically slip down and get lost. Its a lot more difficult to tell one cohesive story, or just float an idea or joke that isn't building off a pre-existing meme. You can alleviate it to some extent with extra mobile devices, but that's a lot of effort for what could be very simple. That may contribute to the way that people who would otherwise have proposed settings or written short stories in the past just feed them directly into Quests, because at least they're going to get bumped and they can advertise them in advance.

>>44106320
That sounds like a great idea. You could use it for corporate settings too, for a Dilbert-esque game. Maybe you could look into adding "the Credit" as well or instead, so you've got people stabbing each other in the back to be seen as the most valuable member of the team while shifting all the blame to their enemies?
>>
>>44106489
>That may contribute to the way that people who would otherwise have proposed settings or written short stories in the past just feed them directly into Quests
Quests are actually an alright medium to test out original settings, if the guy has the patience for it.
>>
>>44106557
I can see how that could work in theory, but very few make the leap into a more universal setting and do more than just follow one limited story (that's usually not even told terrifically well because of the limits of the medium). There's less give and take critique as a setting because primarily Quests are more about the audience engaging and responding to what the writer has already decided. If you're starting from a position of, I don't know, "You are a Dragon CEO, working for this company, Sir Reg is coming for his 4pm meeting" its a whole different ball game from "How does a company run by a traditional fire breathing dragon actually work?". The latter invites different questions to the former, which can in turn develop the setting or story further. Not even touching the issue of focussing on waifu-bait, which is quite common across a lot of /tg/ projects but comes up quite a lot in Quests in particular
>>
>>44106701
It partly comes down to the intention of the QM in that regard, and the way he frames the potential narrative. The more free form nature of a quest allows a QM to run a game with a different kind of POV than a traditional tabletop, and something like a traveling cartographer or explorer could be a good way to draw out the setting for the audience.
>>
>Thesis:
The age average in CYOA threads is about 20 years younger than it is in classic GM threads.

>Measurement:
Relative incidence of infantile language and themes.
Level of social competence as evidenced by conflicts that arise in the thread.

>Conclusion:
Although exact numbers remain elusive, a general trend cannot be denied.
>>
>>44104950
Homebrew threads are okay. You just have to spoon feed anons exactly what you want to get feedback. But if you're doing anything at all larger than a few pages you can pretty much just count yourself alone.

We get the guys that are in there every thread asking the same generic questions about the same homebrew and making absolutely no changes.

>>44097957
/tg/ does make a lot of games. They're just contained on the homebrew thread Unless Mr BlueSky is involved then he gets his own threads and no one cares about them so they stay there or fade away.
>>
>>44106787
I used to think everyone posting infantile shit was a kid, but I've found grown-ass adults with the posting skills of retarded 15 year olds too frequently for that to hold with me anymore. It's depressing as hell.
>>
>>44097957
We are too busy posting quest threads.
>>
I don't even hate quests, but I really do think a /quest/ board or something would be better for both parties.
>>
>>44106787
>classic GM threads
Right, because recycled Chicken Boo jokes and blatant fetish insertion are the hallmarks of a mature individual
>>
>>44107318
I think it would cause both boards to largely die off.

So I agree.
>>
>>44107318
There are barely any Quests nowadays, though. It's funny to see people still being angry at quests, when they've been in a lull for the past months, with rarely even 10 of them being a round at the same time (with generally over half just waiting to get bumped off).
>>
My Engine Heart character is a robot intended to wipe out humanity.
>>
>>44108288
>rarely even 10
>>
>>44108356
There are currently 7 Quests on the board. There have been days recently when only 4 were around.
>>
>>44104648
>>44104690
I'm fine, I just don't have a lot of free time these days.
>>
>>44108972
It's 13 and a meta thread.
>>
>>44110041
Good to see you!
>>
>>44097957
A few weeks back a few of us were starting to hammer out a Bionicle homebrew.

We got a fair amount done, and probably more will happen after finals.
>>
>>44105014
Generals make sense for things like 40k, DnD and PF, where you can consistenly get hundreds of posts about people talking about game mechanics. They're not very good for fluff talk, though, but I still see plenty of separate fluff threads related to, say, 40k.
I'm not really find of homebrew general, though. I quess it's better than everybody making their own thread for their homebrew stuff, and a lot of people are probably more inclined to post their homebrew stuff in an existing thread rather than thinking their idea varrants a thread of its own, but it also means most stuff gets very little feedback or discussion since people keep posting new stuff. Also, homebrew general is mostly about homebrewed game mechanics, so you're not likely get any feedback for, say, homebrewed classes for existing games.
I've been thinking of making a homebrew race/class thread for that purpose, since I have a bunch of classes, races and monsters that I've made and would need some feedback for (I fully admit that I actually have no idea what is and isn't balanced, and just do what I think seems cool), although my ideas tend to be weird and bad so I probably wouldn't get much feedbakc even then.
>>
>>44106489
I don't think worldbuilding general is a bad idea. I don't really have enough stuff built for my custom setting to warrant a thread, nor do I think it would garner much interest if I did, but I did post the stuff I have made in the worldbuilding general and got some useful feedback (mostly on how to draw a map; only got like one comment on the fluff, though).
>>
bump b/c Viral showed up
>>
>>44104635
>caring about the front page
Lmao
>>
>>44105596
>tfw that's when I joined
>play magic, wh40k, DnD, gurps, x-wing, and test some homebrew with my bros, didn't get into quests except broquest
>always lurking never posting
It must have been amazing back then; being from /vp/ this place is always super fun
>>
You know how we can get /tg/ making homebrews?

Learn Tabletop Simulator and distribute the download links to your homebrew on Mediafire on /tg/.
>>
>>44105211
Generals started on /v/ because a lot of /v/ posting was shit that just flooded things off the board after a few dozen posts.

Then we got /vg/, which brought the idea of generals to a lot of boards. Some boards started posting generals for certain series, like Adventure Time on /co/ or Naruto on /a/. Then people started shitposting ">>>/general/" for any thread about these series that was made. Mods helped that by deleting threads that weren't in the general.

Now we're in a situation where generals have become the tripfagging circlejerks that moot feared, but now the "solution" is for mods to ban generals and the series about them entirely.
>>
>>44108298
>My Engine Heart character is a robot intended to wipe out humanity.
If you're serious please elaborate
>>
>>44108298
All I can think of is how many points that would have to cost.
>>
>>44119428
Well wipe out humanity is a little vague. If he's equipped with a fluffy brush it may have taken some time.
>>
>>44119466
>It was supposed to be "wipe off", but the programmer was a little hung-over from the night before because they had just got this new mixbot and who wouldn't go a little nuts, and then two weeks later all the humans stopped showing up for work but it got shipped anyway
>>
File: first_light_ALPHA.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
first_light_ALPHA.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44097957
About two or three years ago a guy started making a d20 god-game that focused far more on inter-god relationships and the thematics of the gods themselves than most other games of similar level (which are often worldbuilders)
I still have the build edition from when he vanished into nothing leaving an empty devblog behind. I've had dreams of trying to restart it on my own since I absolutely loved the character generation, but /hbg/ was nonexistant or dead whenever I looked.
so in the spirit of sharing here's the pdf. nothing will probably come of it but if anyone cares about barely-made game orphans then here's a thing.
>>
>>44119519
The setting's premise is that humans are gone, but no explanation is given...
>>
File: tides1.2.png (889 KB, 719x933) Image search: [Google]
tides1.2.png
889 KB, 719x933
I made this and am currently in the middle of a massive update and renovation. Too big to post here but here's a Dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lmesfvniwkf40d/Fire%20Emblem%20the%20Tides%20of%20War%20v1.2.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>44119537
Just make your own general about it.
>>
File: Fedora the Tipping.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Fedora the Tipping.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44097957
You're welcome.
>>
File: Chuunibyou.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Chuunibyou.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44126373
And the supplement.
>>
I actually made a game and started a thread over here with a PDF of the rules >>44128536

To copy the blurb I wrote it's basically a cross between rules-lite and old school games. It uses map-based combat, but everything's been streamlined. It was originally made to help new players and kids get into RPGs, but it also scratches the itch for if you want to just run a game with simple rules and without a ton of setup.

There's no to-hit roll, every character has its own health regen based on how they act during battle, it only needs a single set of standard RPG dice, and it's setting-generic.
>>
>>44097957
I've considered looking into building my own RPG system from time to time, but it always feels like I could accomplish everything I want in an existing system with just a couple of tweaks. I wouldn't even know how to get started on a system.
>>
>>44097957

They do but they're basically all awful.

See Engine Heart, AdEva, etc.
>>
>>44132172
Which is exactly what most homebrewfags use as a starting position instead of playing lots of different game, reading about mechanisms, and understanding how the way things are counted provide the basic structure of reality in the game so you can use it to create interesting crunch or fail horribly copying DnD for the nth time.
>>
>>44132187
How the fuck is AdEva awful?
>>
>>44132310

It would honestly take me less time to describe in what ways it is *not* awful, so let's go with that.

Their combat system in 3.0 can be pretty tense and interesting.

...I swear I felt I was capable of thinking of another one after that, but I'm really struggling here.
>>
I'm working on a coin flipping RPG.
>>
>>44132453
That actually sounds original and interesting.
>>
>>44132453
Explain
>>
File: Vanguard Final.png (2 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Vanguard Final.png
2 MB, 1200x1200
Been working on my trench assault mecha wargame. It features tripods from War of The Worlds and mecha that look like pic related, among other options.
>>
>>44139152
Sounds legit. I'd play it if I had any friends ;_;
>>
>>44139270
Wanna hear about the factions? Cool, I'll tell you anyway.

>The Astarian Principality
“For Princess and Country!”
Fast and brutal in melee, Astaria’s Knights mount heavy armor and shields that enable them to shrug off cannon rounds, but they eschew cannons or beams to meet this end, preferring disposable rockets for their ranged armament.

The Astarian Principality is ruled by Princess Arminia Caliak, a young and vigorous ruler who's equally at home in a council chamber or a battlefield. She is the last remaining descendant of the Aquilonese Empire's royal family, and quite popular among her people. Arminia's mech pilots are the Knights that have fought for her family since time immemorial, now serving as her elite forces, striding ahead of her armies to shatter trench warfare. One of their mechs, Vanguard, is pictured >>44139152 here.

>The Aquilonese Republic
“For Truth and Justice!”
Aquilonese mechs, called Platforms, are quadrupedal and deadly accurate with their cannon and Teleforce Beams, but rarely mount melee weapons and are incredibly slow compared to other nations.

Aquileon is ruled by seven elected Councilors, who rule the nation in the peoples' name, assisted by a veritable army of beauraucrats and civil servants who translate the elected officials' orders into something real. Since the fall of the aquilonese empire and the turn to democracy, the Aquilonese Republic has longed to reconquer its "rebelling provinces" which most call Independent Nations.

The Aquilonese Army has been slow to adapt the innovations of other nations, not trusting mechs in favor of artillery and infantry, but their success on the battlefield has forced the Aquilonese to create their own, the slow, sturdy, quadrupedal Platforms that mount heavy cannon far in excess of anything else on the battlefield.

(cont)
>>
>>44139438
>The Shoshkepali Directorate
“For Science and Progress!”
Shoshkepali mechs, known as Sarcophagi, mount debilitating lightning weapons that weaken their enemy with bolts of lightning before moving in for a melee execution. Larger Shoshkepali mechs are able to mount the most effective beam weapons in the world, but Shoshkepal rarely uses cannon of any sort. Shoshkepal also features a unique element in managing the amount of electricity that's being sent to your mechs via beamcast power.

Shoshekpal is a nation ruled by scientists, with the Director being the executive of the government, currently a doctor of engineering. His scientist-administrators see that all the needs of the people are met, even though none without degrees in the "approved scientists" get a voice in his government. The Shoshkepali military, however, is controlled by the church, most notably by Karep, the God of Death. Shoshkepal's mechs, known as Sarcophagi, are held to be Karep's personal property, its pilots his emmissaries in the mortal world, tasked with collecting more of Shoshkepal's enemies for his realm.

Astaria, Aquileon, and Shoshkepal are the three basic starting factions. Several other countries will be added later.

Sound cool?
>>
>>44139486
>>
>>44139152
I've long imagined mech RPGs would need some sort of grid based/tactics type combat system to show facings and all that, almost a mini wargame for the combat.
I'm guessing that's not the case.How do people handle mech warfare/combat in TT games?

Also: Make yourself up a world map Trenchbreaker Senpai
>>
File: former aquilonese empire.png (2 MB, 1247x1251) Image search: [Google]
former aquilonese empire.png
2 MB, 1247x1251
>>44139521
Well I should've mentioned that it's a wargame.

Also, way ahead of you.
>>
File: political-Base.png (706 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
political-Base.png
706 KB, 1000x500
>>44139593
Full world map
>>
File: Northwestern Carthacia.png (747 KB, 663x662) Image search: [Google]
Northwestern Carthacia.png
747 KB, 663x662
>>44139664
Mapped portion of the Carthacian Supercontinent. Plenty of opportunities for development and new factions here.
>>
>>44097957
All the guys that has talent, left.
>>
File: 1365913178745.jpg (253 KB, 475x822) Image search: [Google]
1365913178745.jpg
253 KB, 475x822
>>44097957
because I post about them on SA now c;
>>
>>44098095
He might be referring to the group projects /tg/ used to do. The homebrew threads tend to be people sharing their own projects and helping on them, rather than a community created project.
>>
I don't expect much creativity from /tg/ any more. Used to be different, But now at best individuals post quality work.

And yes, technically it's always one guy putting it all together. But we used to have a process, a forum of ideas. That part of /tg/ is lost.
>>
>>44098949
Are you in the thanks section? I've got the kickstarter book in front of me and I'd like to see another one of us (other than the Anonymous it starts with)
>>
>>44110041
So, you are alive? How do we know it's you?
>>
>>44139152
>>44139438
>>44139486
>>44139593
>>44139664
>>44139698
Holy fuck. I saw you when you were pitching your game to us. Can you tell us what changed now? I didn't read much in your rulebook.
>>
File: crusade-b.jpg (871 KB, 2067x1453) Image search: [Google]
crusade-b.jpg
871 KB, 2067x1453
personally I'd love to see /tg/ resurrect Deus Volt some day, still think it's one of /tg/'s better ideas;

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Deus_Volt

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xlxox3yw6u398ya/Deus+Volt.rar
>>
File: rules.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
rules.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44097957

I am partway through making a system that I want to run a quest with. The idea is that it is a generic space system in which any starfighter scifi can be used as the setting. I am only about 1/3 done my manual pdf, but once finals and end of term projects are done, I plan to finish it up and start running the quest.
>>
>>44142477
Or died
>>
File: hello world.jpg (177 KB, 1559x1017) Image search: [Google]
hello world.jpg
177 KB, 1559x1017
>>44146444
>>
File: portal cake dream.png (256 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
portal cake dream.png
256 KB, 768x576
>>44149612
>still alive
>>
>>44149612
Kamina-bot says hello Viral
>>
File: beebot christmas.png (2 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
beebot christmas.png
2 KB, 200x200
>>44149612
Hey Viral.
>>
So is the the homebrew thread? Or is there one up right now?
>>
>>44151625
Are you beebot?
>>
File: PleaseYesBully.jpg (60 KB, 300x304) Image search: [Google]
PleaseYesBully.jpg
60 KB, 300x304
>>44105030
>the homebrew I don't share on /tg/ because I know the quality of feedback I'll get isn't there.
See, I couldn't disagree more.
I've been working on a homebrew system for a while and when it's ready to share, I plan on taking it here.
I want to show my precious pretty snowflake baby to /tg/ and have them tear it apart like hungry, vitriolic jackals.
Then I will take the broken scraps and reforge them into a stronger form, only to return to have it destroyed again.
Thus, it will be refined and made better in a forges powered by the flames of trolls.

Of course, there is always going to be comments suggesting every homebrew should have more monstergirls. lolis, and/or rape factories, but that's just white noise.
>>
>>44104635
>the rapid pace of updating quest threads means that a homebrew project has a lot more difficulty attracting much attention aside from the initial 2-5 posters because of the fact that they get pushed off of the front page so fast and end up in the catalog.

...people still look at the front page? I've only seen it by accident since Moot added the vanilla extension. The catalog is just such a superior way to browse.

For that matter, I've had "quest" filtered for over a year now, so I don't even see them anyway.
>>
File: bee bot on roads.png (4 KB, 382x198) Image search: [Google]
bee bot on roads.png
4 KB, 382x198
>>44154258
Once upon a time I might've been.
>>
>>44156475
Did you ever illustrate an EH story that was basically Alien?

It was played at a convention and storytiemed on /tg/. Some time ago a poster said there was a beebot version.
>>
File: alien engine heart.png (1 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
alien engine heart.png
1 KB, 80x80
>>44156609
Only thing I can recall is a little doodle from back when I used to do little sprites in engine heart threads.

Its been a long time since I've done any sprite stuff.
>>
File: 1366429119102.png (585 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
1366429119102.png
585 KB, 1400x1400
>>44156671
Cool.

I thought there was a whole story.
>>
>>44152262
It got Archived yesterday. Weekend activity is pretty low for Homebrew General, so someone will probably bring it back Monday or Tuesday.
>>
>>44158307
This thread is only half full.
>>
Kinda related/unrelated, does anyone have the Engine Heart story with the incredibly racist animatronics?
Or any other EH screencaps?
I just freaking love EH but storytimes are the closest I can get to playing, regrettably.
>>
Are board games homebrew?
>>
>>44160851

I dunno, it looks half empty to me.
>>
>>44163411
That's not the kind of attitude we try to aspire to.
>>
File: Chronicles of Barry Banjo.png (691 KB, 1580x4825) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles of Barry Banjo.png
691 KB, 1580x4825
>>44162025
>Kinda related/unrelated, does anyone have the Engine Heart story with the incredibly racist animatronics?
You're in luck
>>
File: Chronicles of Barry Banjo pt 2.png (445 KB, 986x3116) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles of Barry Banjo pt 2.png
445 KB, 986x3116
>>44168424
Part 2
>>
>>44097957
/tg/ has the greatest imagination and knack for worldbuilding I have ever seen on an website.
However, we lose interest fast when we have to write the crunch.
>>
>>44169944
That's because crunch generally requires a centralized creative forces to make work. It's a lot harder to crowdsource crunch than fluff because GMs and Players can ignore or change fluff freely, but many games hang their functionality on their mechanics, and if they aren't solid then the entire game falls apart. It's why AdEva has basically been in beta for years.
>>
File: alicedance.gif (7 MB, 192x213) Image search: [Google]
alicedance.gif
7 MB, 192x213
>>44168424
>>44168430
Thanks so much! Been looking for these for a while.
>>
File: 1367203423166s.jpg (2 KB, 125x73) Image search: [Google]
1367203423166s.jpg
2 KB, 125x73
>Cold season Imminent.
>>
File: virals box.jpg (121 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
virals box.jpg
121 KB, 800x600
This requires posting
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.