[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How and what from would medieval melee be made of in modern times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (224 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
224 KB, 1500x1000
How and what from would medieval melee be made of in modern times if military never dropped them ? Reason doesn't matter, perhaps we developed lightweight body armour that can actually stop high calibre bullets even at short range, we started to attach teleknitcs to units to stop projectiles, whatever.

I imagine it would include a lot of plastics and other lightweight materials. I'm guessing swords would probably be made from different stuff than modern knives (the material's weight, flexibility, durability might not translate if just up-scaled) ? Perhaps axes would double as light breeching tools ?
>>
Say hello to "The Irons".
A Halligan Bar (or "hooligan bar" if you're feeling like a cheeky cunt), and a flathead axe, mated together for ease of carrying.
19 pounds total weight.
The Halligan consists of a pick, an adze, and a prybar. The axe is an axe.
Imagine groups of men in heavy armor charging at each other. Each man attempts to wrestle an enemy to the ground so that an "Irons Man" can break them open like a crab with his tools.
>>
File: Irons.jpg (11 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
Irons.jpg
11 KB, 300x277
>>44095823
>>
>>44095854
>>44095823
I'm not sure if they're optimized for fighting and what it would take to make them.
>>
>>44095539

This is nonsense and you are a bad person for posting it. At least spellcheck you cunt.

And how are we supposed to know what weapons would counter the armor if you can't say what it is? Idiot.
>>
I can't read this shit.

Anyway, very effective armor against practically all melee attacks was developed hundreds of years ago, and modern technology would only improve on that. People didn't get stronger, nutrition aside. Melee weapon design has regressed, if anything, and all our superior metals don't mean shit in this sort of application.

If we developed armor that stopped all bullets, it would probably also stop all swords, hammers, spears, etc.

We'd probably resort to everyone launching shaped charge bombs at each other from grenade launchers, and if that weren't enough, from proper rocket launchers.

If we had to melee, it would probably come down to bombs on the end of sticks. Maybe shaped charge spears.
>>
>>44095823
>19 pounds total weight.

you're trying to design a weapon that works, not a comedy item that's too heavy to swing.
>>
File: ends-of-the-axe[1].jpg (75 KB, 1200x286) Image search: [Google]
ends-of-the-axe[1].jpg
75 KB, 1200x286
Sadly for the world's science fiction steel is about the best material for swords, combining strength, hardness, stiffness, and the ability to keep an edge. In general hard materials are brittle and steel is something of an exception to that. You could probably choose whatever axe or spiked weapon catches your fancy. I recommend the poleaxe.
>>
>>44097010
Firefighter here, depends on what your trying to fight. The irons are really useful for a certain type of para-military fight and you could saythat we wear modern armor to fight a symbolic dragon.
>>
>>44095539
So we need a lack of ranged killing power and a way to kill in close combat?
Option 1. Chemical projection is weaker than irl.
This could be because it's more expensive to make them or a change to how physics works.
Option 2. Super humans who can get stuck in despite the rest of the world working as it does.
You could give them power armor or super powers or light sabers, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>44096866
The invented excuse for melee combat in Dune was personal shields that would only allow through slow moving things like air. LotGH had axe fights justified by a gas that would ignite whenever proper weapons like lasers were used. So it's possible to invent an excuse. And many militaries still have their soldiers carry bayonets, for the rare situation that the best thing to do is charge.
>>
File: sherman crab.jpg (249 KB, 1600x1187) Image search: [Google]
sherman crab.jpg
249 KB, 1600x1187
>>44097189

Excuses for melee fights between large groups outdoors tend to break down when one side busts out the mine flail.

Would be pretty cool to see what happens when two fight, though.
>>
>>44097189
Let players lose in Dune and remote laser drones will kill all the enemy.
>>
i guess if combat had evolved to the point that drones fought a constant stalemate battle in the sky, constantly shredding each other to pieces while meanwhile dive bombing the location of any gunshots they heard on the ground, rendering guns ineffective at "winning" combats in a horrible 3d printed plastic strewn nuclear wasteland trench warfare zone, then silent melee combat would be the most effective. assuming you cant use railguns or anything which propels a bullet without creating a large noise and somehow silencers are ineffective. and supply lines are cut off so power and bullets are scarce anyway.

then maybe you would want a katana (just kidding). then maybe you would want some kind of axe, and as soldiers are equipped now some kind of knife, and you could have groups of soldiers doing clandestine missions in water filtration suits like in dune which also mask their heat signatures.

lets say machines are essentially out of control in this setting, and multiple ever shifting sides of AI are fighting each other in the sky, with terminator style robots left over from old eras on the ground, and meanwhile the whole planet is totally polluted and being eaten up, and the remaining humans fight a crazy war over.... what exactly? against machiens i guess a la terminator, but need to use weapons which are incapable of being replaced in the current state of humanity, as the last underground shelters/military bases are essentially toast, or anyway without power, and so humans use melee weapons to hunt old terminators for power supplies, kill other humans for food, and hopefully fight their way to take out skynet. all without traditional guns. maybe some kind of not exceedingly far range flachette gun.
>>
>>44095823
>the axe is an axe
Ok I laughed.
>>
>>44097279
I never figured why it was considered acceptable to have a "shield" which went nuclear whenever somebody pointed a laser gun at it. I guess the thinking is you only turn the shield on if you believe that the enemy would be unwilling to risk mutual annihilation and that they are too expensive to use as bombs.
>>
>>44097345
I had an idea for a setting where drones were running on auto and no one had the codes to shut them down but they still obeyed the rules of war (no attacking places of worship, grave yards, hospitals) but no one could update them so everyone tried to get by with these god like killers in the sky that they couldn't communicate with or truly predict.
>>
>>44095539
Steel alloys. Toss in some molybdenum. A few other trace elements. Better control of carbon content. Overall, not all that different.
>>
Crab battle arms - disposable jaws-of-life in bandoliers. Grapple with an enemy, push one around their neck or limbs, let go and it automatically bites down over a few seconds. Even with ordinary batteries, a good gear system would shear right through most armor.
>>
>>44095539
Any armour that could stop projectiles as we no understand them would also render our current melee weapons pointless.

In the end you'd probably be looking at something like diamond edged grinders where we'd have to saw into each other over and extended time. That would mean that grappling as a fighting style would become more important as we'd have to pin our opponent to grind through their armour. Beyond that claw like tools that have a hydrolic engine might be able to compress your opponent, since they can deliver enough force to crush cars the only issue would be making one small enough to be weilded yet strong enough to crush this armour you've suggested. Lasers wouldn't really work since they're impractical at cutting and a grinder would do better. Other than that the only thing I can think of right now would be that, if the armour had weaker spots, an incredably strong and think needle might be able to pierce it and you could inject your enemy with poison.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.