[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The great debate. d100. Necessity, or luxury? Should dice sets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: latest[1].png (108 KB, 300x196) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
108 KB, 300x196
The great debate.
d100. Necessity, or luxury?
Should dice sets come with 2d10s or just 1?

Only the great questions on /tg/why thursdays.
>>
>>44093974
Necessity? Given the prevalence of d100 systems?
>>
>>44093974
Sets should come with 2d10s with one giving tens place digits and the other giving ones place digits because using the fucking golf ball of a d100 is simply impractical.

Additionally percentile systems are okay and a lack of way to roll d100 would be bad.
>>
>>44093974
My flaming autism cannot stand d100 sets like these, the zeroes are off-putting.
I prefer to use just two regular d10s, one white, one another color, the colored one comes first.
>>
>>44093974
How about 2d10's and 10 sided d100 per set and we avoid a murder.
>>
>>44093974
Is this bait? There are tons of d100 systems, so yeah, you need those dice, and two of them.

Hell even d20 systems often use d100 for determining stuff like random loot or random plot hooks.
>>
>>44094389
How are the zeros off-putting? What's so awful about 00, but 0 is fine.
>>
Ugh, worst of the fucking dice.

Platonic solid or fuck off.
>>
>>44093974
I think Dice sets should come with 2d10, but personally, I find Decaders really ugly.

I'd rather just roll 2 normal d10 then read the numbers left to right.
>>
Only the DM should ever see them, and since every game is played with 1 laptop at the table MINIMUM these days, there are ways around needing it.
>>
>>44094643
Is more or less the size of the zeroes.
They are mismatched and due to placing, make the actual number harder to see.
I like my dice ultra-visible and able to be read at a glance.
>>
>>44094389
>My flaming autism
>would rather use mismatched dice than dice specifically made for this purpose
I don't think you have flaming autism. I think you are a flaming something else.

>>44094577
>Is this bait?
OP has been making a lot of "how do I use percentile dice" threads lately, yeah.
>>
>>44094993
You bring a laptop or a phone to the table and its on or in your hand unless we need some googlefu its getting snapped in half and the evidence thrown in the incinerator.
>>
>>44094117
This already happens so the point is moot... er hiroshi.
>>
>>44095195
Jackie 4chan*
>>
>>44093974
I use 2d10, the dice that ends up on the roller's left is the Tens Digit.
>>
I just use two d10s of a different color.
>>
>>44093974

The Elegan/t G/entleman carries a full range of roleplaying paraphernalia to play any of several popular systems. That means:

1d20

1d12

3d10

2d10 w/ 00s

1d8

6d6

2d4

This gives you a full set of dice for D&D, enough d10s to play WoD and FFG 40k rpgs, and d6s for systems like Shadowrun and GURPS. Dice not used in a particular system are employed as counters. The properly equipped Elegan/t G/entleman has a mechanical pencil, moleskine notebook, and a 28mm miniature selected for attractiveness and durability. Dice should follow a consistent theme but each die of a particular die type should have its own color.

A MtG deck is encouraged but not required, as are folded, pre-printed character sheets for selected systems. A phone or tablet with PDFs preloaded is also a plus.

The carrying case should be simple and understated, but classy, and should be selected so the player can keep the kit on his person at all times.

Alternatively, /k/ players can equip the Elegan/t G/entleman's kit, tacticool edition. The only dice needed are 6d6. Replace the MtG deck with conventional playing cards. Replace the moleskine with waterproof paper. Have a miniature copy of GURPS Lite, with selections from Tactical Shooting, Martial Arts, and the Tech books. The case should be waterproof as well, and include a small silk handkerchief to reduce noise from the dice rattling.
>>
>>44096193
Yeah. But now where do i put my gun and jelly beans now that my ammo pouch is full?
>>
>>44096193
Who the hell needs 2d4? Who needs 1d4? You never need one in 98% of sessions (the 2% is when your adventurer loses their main weapon, backup weapon, and tertiary weapon, and have to use their dagger for a round), and on the off chance you need a d4 you can derive one from a d20 easily.
>>
>>44095050
Sorry pal, I haven't posted on /tg/ in months so I can't be the OP you're thinking of.
>>
File: 1421537390728.jpg (235 KB, 1024x745) Image search: [Google]
1421537390728.jpg
235 KB, 1024x745
>>44093974
Of course 2 d10's is a necessity. D100 for actions, d20 for hit locations, d6's for attributes. Like it was meant to be.
>>
>>44093974
Luxury. In fact, to be avoided at all cost unless the rules you are designing can't find a better alternative around it.
>>
>>44093991
When? All of them? Are shit?
>>
>>44095167
You sound like one bad dude :^)
>>
>>44096193
I carry two full 7 piece polyhedral sets and an additional cube of d6's all in a Bertie Botts Every Flavor Bean pouch. It's simple, easy to get together, and doesn't leave me in a scenario where I have a box of dice that just don't get used. There's also a miniature 7 piece set that I got for the novelty. The only downside is having to pick through the tiny little pouch to get the dice I need for the session at hand.
>>
>>44096193
>shadowrun
>only 6d6
>>
File: Untitled.png (814 KB, 933x1280) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
814 KB, 933x1280
>>44096193
>5d10
>enough to play WoD
>>
>>44097476
>thai cooking
>>
File: c97.png (35 KB, 312x428) Image search: [Google]
c97.png
35 KB, 312x428
>>44098074
>Thai Cuisine
>mfw
>>
Why would it be considered a "luxury". There are d100 systems, and even then you could homebrew a d100 system as well. Also anyone who uses a real d100 are just as terrible as those faggots who bring a 20 as big as their fist or bigger as life die.

All they want to do is impress casuals like somehow big die or un-usual die makes you a super duper uber 1337 nerd or something.
>>
>>44098805
>are just as terrible as those faggots who bring a 20 as big as their fist or bigger as life die.
If it's just a life die, you're not going to roll the thing, and if it's bigger it'll be easier to read. What're you complaining about?
>>
>>44096419

D&D, for Falchion and spiked chain. In 3.5 there are builds that make good use of this.

>>44097272
>>44097476

This is a minimalist set. So of course you will only have just enough dice to make a go of it. 5d10 will give you a typical mortal's die pool in oWoD (2 attribute = human average, 3 skill = skilled practioner). If you want to add or subtract dice, be my guest.
>>
>>44098938
I'm not legally blind anon. I can read a regular dice just fine, I don't need some smart ass with a smug look on his face drop this gigantic polygon of plastic on our table grinning and expecting some impressed comment about his big ol' die!

And the best part about the dice I see? They are actually built as true random, and not spin down, so not only is it painful to look at this gigantic behemoth that takes up a large soda space you have to watch him struggle trying to find the next number to display his life correctly which can take 15 seconds or more followed by some comment about how this is the downside of using the dice and how super hard it is to find the numbers xD.

It's just a blatant attempt to attention whore, no one I've met lies about their life totals, and are more than happy to tell you their life total when asked. It's not like this is some solution to an ultimate problem about players not being honest with their life totals in games.
>>
>>44099084
First off, it's "die." Second off, it sounds to me like 90% of your complaint is that whoever it is "looks smug" about their die, or some asinine belief that they're using their life counter to "attention whore." Even if they are, it shouldn't bug you this much.
>And the best part about the dice I see? They are actually built as true random
I have personally never seen an oversized d20 that was not already a spindown. I would find this just as annoying as using a regular not-spindown d20. If you actually have to deal with someone who somehow found an oversized regular d20 that isn't any good for anything and insists on using it for this, you have my sympathies.
>>
>>44099162
My LGS has a bunch of off branches that only sells TG/old vidya/comics and all sorts of retro shit. I believe they got the die when they bought a toy collection and found it in there. Where that guy got it I have no idea.

It's just a pet peeve.
>>
File: 4299941-1419641297037.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
4299941-1419641297037.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>44093974

>rolling 2 dice is difficult for me
>>
>>44099084
>life totals
I oughta punch you for giving me flash backs.
I used to play with a guy who REFUSED to track his own life total. Every time I asked him his life he'd go "Fuck brah I don't know, man, you're the one supposed to track our lives. If you don't know then I'm still at 20" after I attacked him time and time again and was basically asking to see if I had enough damage to take him out in one turn.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.