[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malifaux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 9
File: 1448757280802.jpg (154 KB, 1600x657) Image search: [Google]
1448757280802.jpg
154 KB, 1600x657
We made it to autosage, its a christmas miracle!

Did all the black friday stuff come in the mail? Any new purchases planned?
Are you the latest statistic to the multifaction drug?

Discuss ways to make desperate mercs not suck!
>>
Any idea where to point a newcomer? Don't know a damn thing about the game but the aesthetics are drawing me in. I've played 40k and WarmaHordes before, is there any comparison to those? I've looked at some of the factions and the Neverborn, Resurrectionists, and some of the Arcanists interest me (in particular Rasputina since she's all about ice shit).

I've checked out the Pull My Finger wiki, and while it has some good stuff about the factions, doesn't seem to lay out how the game plays or introduce it's core workings.
>>
>>44092821
My BF order has arrived and is prepped for assembly, probably tomorrow night.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I wish alt fire starter had come in more pieces. Cleaning the main body of mold lines was a harrowing experience due to the narrow connections between the flames and the flames throwers.
>>
>>44092964
The is a Shieldbreakers Malifaux 101 series on YouTube that does a good job of running through the features of the game. Production quality is crap and they are definitely not comfortable in front of a camera, but the information there is solid.
>>
File: 1405612317205.jpg (35 KB, 636x467) Image search: [Google]
1405612317205.jpg
35 KB, 636x467
>>44092821
>Did all the black friday stuff come in the mail?

No.
>>
My BF order just shipped yesterday, so I'm hype.
>>
Got my BF order on Monday, finally finished getting Sue painted up. My whole order was basically Leveticus Christmas.
>>
Are there any particular stand out choices for McCabe in TT, or is it just "he makes everything better so take what you like"?
>>
>>44093769
Dawn serpent
If you are reactivating a minion, it might as well be a 9ss one.
>>
>>44092964
Definitely look over the entire factions ascetic before investing. Because youll end up getting a wide variety of it if you ever want to go competitive.

It seems like the game is much more oriented towards objectives rather than butchering things. So to make a comparison to 40k, troops (objective runners) actually fucking matter a whole lot.

The cheapest, most efficient way to get to competitive standard would be avoiding summon heavy masters. Like in ressurs start with Seamus as opposed to Kirai if you want a lower overhead.

At least thats one scrub to another. You can start and play with just a master and some random box for 50 points. The crew boxes are like a 1250 point army.
>>
Something brought up in the last thread was Leviticus' being able to take Pale Rider? Is that true or is he only able to take Dead Rider?
>>
>>44094540
He can take either, because they are both Undead.
>>
>>44094540
According to the crew creator hes able to take all four, in pairs, depending on if he takes pariah of bone or the other one.

I couldnt figure out why it allowed the hooded rider, does it qualify as a construct?
>>
r8 my angry miners

Arcanists Crew - 50 - Scrap

Mei Feng -- 3 Pool
+Imbued Protection [2]
+Seismic Claws [1]

Kang [9]
+Killswitch [1]
Rail Golem [11]
+Bleeding Edge Tech [1]
Rail Worker [5]
Rail Worker [5]
Rail Worker [5]
Union Miner [5]
Union Miner [5]
>>
>>44094718
There is an upgrade that makes it work
>>
>>44094718
Hooded rider is indeed a construct

Also, the hodgepodge emissary's leve upgrade let's him hire any rider, and has an action that sacs the emissary to summon a rider.
>>
>>44094978
That sounds amazing. How does the hodgepodge emossary work? Is that a Lev upgrade or more of a stat card that doesnt have a model yet?

Or is that his avatar?
>>
>>44095441
Hodgepodge Emissary is one of the emissaries, new models each faction gets. Hodgepodge is outcast. Each emissary gets one master-specific upgrade. Levi's just lets you hire Rider, and can sacrifice himself to summon a rider. This is necessary because you can't actually afford four riders at 50 points.

The downside to this, of course, is you will have only Levi, four riders, and waifs on the field.
>>
I'm trying to come up with a go-to model pool for Shenlong, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. He's so flexible it feels difficult to nail anything down.

Lone Swordsman, Shadow Effigy, Katanaka Sniper, Izamu, Tengu, Yin, Toshiro, Ten Thunders Brother, Illuminated, Samurai
>>
I asked this in the last thread, but glorious auto sage.

What units compliment an ophelia box. Pigs are apparently a Som'er thing, so what actually goes good with her?
>>
>>44096232

Old Cranky works as a replacement totem if you aren't feeling hers.

Lenny is nice for summoning, damage prevention, and handing out rams for dumb luck/thinking luck triggers.

Trixie is great in most gremlin crews.
>>
>>44094718
Do they have to be taken in pairs?
>>
>>44096461

No.
>>
>>44096461
Its because 2 are constructs, 2 are undead. You do not have to take them in pairs, its just that his limited upgrades only let you take 2 of them at a time.
>>
Gaaaah I'm falling down the dark path to Ten Thunders.
>>
I've just started Arcanists, got the Kaeris and Ramos boxes and a rail golem, just wondering what'd be the next logical thing to buy if i'm mainly going to stick with those two masters for the time being.
I'm thinking some Oxforidan mages and then gunsmiths when they're released.
>>
>>44097695

More spiders for Ramos.

You might as well just buy Ironsides' crew if you want the Oxford Mages.
>>
>>44095528
>downside

Also, you still have room to take Desolate Soul on Levi plus, like, one more upgrade or a Malifaux Rat.

Four Riders, two Waifs, Levi, and a Rat/Abom actually isn't that bad solely based on model count, but good luck keeping your riders alive in those first few turns before they start really building suits.
>>
>>44096357
What about burt jebsen? I like the fact he's a big trouble in little China reference. But I won't bother if they won't mesh
>>
>>44097695
Mech rider. Gunsmiths will be a definate. Willie is good. Metal gamin even with the nerf are often useful.
>>
>>44098036
>You might as well just buy Ironsides' crew if you want the Oxford Mages.

This, Also gets you the Captain, who is brilliant.
>>
>>44097695
Along with the above recommendations, I'd add Johan with all the M&SU models you'll have.
>>
>>44099141

Burt is fun if you want to troll people with Hard to Kill Dirty Cheater, as well as run a Gremlin that can do good damage without exploding. However, you tend to want crews that will be able to take advantage of clumped enemies from Crackerjack Timing as well.
>>
>>44097695
Never buy models that come in a crew box. Just buy the crew box.
>>44094840
Crews don't exist in a vaccuum what are you goig to be using it for?

>>44099817
Johan is amazing in M&SU lists.

>>44092821
My order hasn't even been processed.
>>
>>44100443
>Never buy models that come in a crew box. Just buy the crew box.

Unless you are already have the crew box. Though I can only think of a handful of models you'd want more of than come in a crew box.
>>
>>44101843

Rats?
>>
>>44101856

Mindless Zombies.

Maybe Terror Tots if you have a kooky grow list in mind.
>>
>>44101856
Spiders
Maybe abominations, belles, and witchling stalkers.
>>
>>44101897
>>44101856
And Abominations. At least if you want to do the D engine grow list.
>>
Wait, shit. People do say to get two boxes of Mindless Zombies, but they're not in a crew box. I was thinking of Punk Zombies in Nico's.
>>
>>44101843
>>44101856
>>44101897
>>44102001
>>44102017

Hey, seven models is more than a handful!
>>
So, newbie here. I'm starting with Mei Fang, because she seems sorta cool and there's two other newbies starting Rasputina, so I'm doing a meta pick. What are good reasons to go with Ten Thunders instead of Arcanists? Also, how do people suggest I expand from her box? I was thinking Mechanical Rider + Metal Gaiman for it to summon.
>>
>>44102139
Wait so hold on. I'm looking at the Pull My Finger wiki, and the fucking ASHIGARU aren't part of the TEN THUNDERS faction?
>>
>>44102139
Mei's honestly better as an arcanist.
>>
>>44102366
So there are no good reasons?
>>
>>44102249
they're skeletons.
>>
>>44102530
They're also ashigaru. Dual-factioning is a thing.
>>
>>44102548

They're mindless automatons, unlike the Ancestor models. The only one who can do anything with them would be Yan Lo, in TT.
>>
>>44102249

Toshiro can summon them.
>>
>>44102578
>>44102563
I GUESS.
>>
>>44102586

Save the fury for those filthy gaijin squatting in Malifaux.
>>
>>44102366
Alright, so I'm thinking my second Master should be Kaeris, just because there's significant model overlap while still enabling a different playstyle. Does that make sense? And can you do two triggers off the same activation, if you have the suits needed for both?
>>
>>44103257

No, only one trigger.
>>
>>44103266
Got it. Is Kaeris a good Master, in general? I know two of my friends are planning Rasputina, so I'm sort of planning to counter-pick, but I don't want to build entirely for an insular meta.
>>
>>44103329

I can't honestly comment, as I don't play her and have never played against her. She should be fine though, not to beat a dead horse but the game's fairly balanced. The gap between most models is pretty small.
>>
>>44102401
The best reason to play Mei in TT is probably using Toshiro to summon Komainu out of scrap counters.

With the Emberling, the Emissary, and/or a Mechanical Porkchop you can generate two to three scrap counters a turn for free and turn them all into significant models.

However, both the Emissary and the Porkchop are Shifting Loyalties models that haven't actually been released yet so you'd need to proxy.
>>
>>44103576
Hasn't it? I saw the book on our shelves...
>>
>>44103599

The book, and thus, their stat cards are available. What that anon means is that their models aren't.
>>
>>44103637
Huh. What sort of gaming company releases a book with stats for models they can't sell? Seems like bad business, desu.
>>
>>44103642

Pretty much every game I play has a backlog of models to be physically released. Just how it goes for the smaller companies.
>>
>>44103677
Weird. I'm coming from 40k, where they've been making sure they have models for everything for years, and Dropzone Commander, where they put out the models before they put out/finalize the rules, so this seems really fucking backwards to me.
>>
>>44103684

There's a number of things in 40k that never got models, like half the Dark Eldar's character roster.
>>
>>44103706
You mean the things that got removed earlier this year/last year?
>>
>>44103684
Eh, rules for missing models means you can at least proxy or play online. Models that have missing rules can't really do much except sit around and look pretty.
>>
>>44103718

Yes, because in their years of existing GW never made models for them.

As I recall it also took them a year or more to make any of the DE Beastmaster models.
>>
Anyone have opinions on the Onryo? They look good for any Spirit crew, but I'm curious about hands on experience.
>>
Thinking of running this:

Viktoria of Ashes - Synchronized Slaying, Sisters in Spirit
Viktoria of Blood - Sisters in Fury, Mark of Shez'uul
Student of Conflict
Hannah - I Pay Better
Freikorps Librarian
Freikorps Trapper
Johan
Ronin

The strategy's "kill everything my opponent can score with".
>>
>>44103257
>>44103266
>>44103362
>>44103576
> etc
Okay, so, here's my plans for buying in for going deep on malifaux:
> Rail Crew box
> Burning Revelations box
> Metal Gaiman
> Arcane Emissary
> Rail Golem

That should be enough to get a good game going, and make 2+ varied (Though fundamentally fire-based) lists, yeah?
>>
>>44104271

I assume you mean Arcane *Effigy*? At any rate, that should be a fine start. Play some games, get used to things, and then you can decide where to expand from there.
>>
>>44104285
I thought the Emissary would be better? The thing that can turn into a FLAME-O-TAUR or whatever the shit.
>>
>>44104346

It's more than you said "buy" and the Emissary isn't available for purchase.
>>
Would anyone mind explaining exactly why Desperate Mercs are considered such garbage?
>>
>>44104364
Oh. Well. Effigy it is, then.
>>
>>44104460

Feel free to proxy the Emissary, the game's proxy rules are quite permissive.
>>
>>44103684
The book release was also not a small numbers of models.160 models were in the book of which around 70% are now available.
>>44102139
The first good non-box purchase would be the Rail Golem, a heavy beatstick making use of burning to buff himself and give the enemy burning with each strike helping Mei Feng get stronger.
Another good arcanist non-box are Metal Gamin, a bit slow moving but tough as they get with abilities to give out burning and making friends harder to hit.
If you decided to play her as Arcanist you will usually play up her Speed and teleportation using it to fly around, protect your constructs and being a General nuisance.
Other crewboxes working with her are Kaeris for fire gamins and Toni for fire slingin mages.
While the Arcanist have a range of good construct which helps her Speed TT can still support her good mostly in setting shit on fire
Dawn Serpent is a heavy minion and can set many People on fire, the archer can shoot into melee if she can't finish off her target, guild pathfinder can throw traps around which is great (try this one) while a big range of push and focus within TT help get the slower construct forward (Railgolem and Metal Gamins).
Also the High River Monks have a 13" Charge and three attacks with atleast 3 burning.
>>44104452
Lack of Focus for me. I find no place in a crew for them. Furthermore they are not cheap schemerunner what turn off most people.
Nevertheless I once used one and through lucky positioning forced the other guy to take some hits.
Also all 4 Points models are garbage but 4 points
>>44104146
What's the cache.
>>44103329
While fire doesn't deal + damage to ice, kaeris is quite opposite to Rasputina.
Unlike Raputia she can Support minions, she is fast and she won't stay in one place.
>>
>>44103329
Kaeris is a interesting master. She is a Support assassin using her burning to improve her Crew and her speed to either move the enemy or hurt them.
Her fire gamins are weak and handle similar to the ice gamins while the Firestarter improves the burning.
For Expansion Kaeris makes good use of Rail Golem, Metal Gamins, Rail Crew and Gunsmiths.
Rail Golem and Metal Gamin Hand out burning and do other things.
Rail Crew can double burning damage and are tough.
Gunsmith gain by having burning enemies.
Willie is fun to play and litter the field with Dynamite.
Johan can heal all your models and fits.
>>
>>44104560

Cache of 4
>>
>>44104587
Personally I like Void Records as this can save a dying model for another turn or deny a enemy models.
Cache of 4 is a bit low, especially with the Viktorias who have great triggers and are fragile.
Lastly I recommend putting Sister in Fury on the Ashes one. Now take Hannah and look at her (0). Realize that Sister in Fury is casting, and read that it says "this model and all friendly sisters".
>>
>>44104625

Remind me what Void Records was? Blanking.
>>
>>44104652
The ability to replace a guy with a void record and be buried, and he'll be released at the end of the turn.
>>
>>44104679

Oh right, Hannah's upgrade. Thanks.
>>
>>44093911
>>44093769
on that note, the Jorogumo is a monster for that exact purpose in a McCabe crew
>>
>>44094840
0/10 union miners won't keep the tunnels secret enough for mong fong's liking and then she won't be able to have angry lesbian sex with Misaki

But in all seriousness, with the gamin nerfs, it opens up mei to all sorts of fun burning shenanigans, though the golem tends to be the crew's blinking red fuck me light. however, load it up with burning and it will go ham.

just do yourself a favor and swap him with joss if your opponent declares outcasts

also, If you're going up against a swarm crew, swap a miner for the emberling and take vapormancy
>>
>>44103329
Bit of advice to you and your friends; don't get the same masters. Hell, if at all possible, don't get the same factions. If you're liking Malifaux, you're gonna want to expand, and your options get severely limited unless you all end up getting the same models.

If you're absolutely set on Mei, she's perfectly servicable in TT, she'll just be getting a crew with a different gameplan. You don't need to fill your crew up with nothing but constructs and can go for some more aggressive range-play instead, backing Mei up, or heavy pushes that get other huge models engaged with enemies alongside Mei.

Also, not entirely clear on this but are both your friends going to get a Rasputina each or are they sharing one? Because both getting the same master in a group, especially as your first master, is just stupid.
>>
>>44104560
>Also all 4 Points models are garbage but 4 points

Counterpoint: The Obedient Wretch, Terror Tots, Guild Hounds.(at 3ss), and the Brutal and Arcane Effigies.
>>
>>44106792
Guild hounds are only really good in a McCabe crew with Luna. Otherwise they're basically 6 point models because they have to go everywhere in pairs.
>>
File: Simulacrum 29.jpg (194 KB, 446x957) Image search: [Google]
Simulacrum 29.jpg
194 KB, 446x957
>>44104467
>>44104460
All of the old avatar models are valid emissary proxies. I actually prefer some of the old resurrectionist avatars to the art we've seen for the ressur emissary. Simulacrum 29 in particular is great. (Pic related)
>>
>>44104942

I can't imagine how annoying their models will be to assemble.
>>
>>44106792
Mechanical spiders are amazing and underrated. Seriously, Df6/Wp6 with armor 1 and immune to pulses, plus they debuff your defense. Pretty solid.
>>
>>44103329
Kaeris isn't a 'counter' for Rasputina in any way, shape or form.

That said, she's generally used best as a support master, as strange as that may seem. She's definitely different than Mei, though she probably is best in interact heavy environments.

I'd suggest as a third box, should you go that route, Ramos. Howard Langston is the best beater in the world, Joss is fucking crazy, and Ramos is a perfect third master to round out your choices for every possible scenario.
>>
>>44105646
I'm absolutely set on Mei, because the idea of saying "Fuck this stupid steampunk horror western bullshit, I'm playing Street Fighter at you now" appeals to me. I LOVE Malifaux's rule set, but the setting can suck a big one.

As for my friends, two of them independently decided they wanted Rasputina as their starting. We also have one oldfag who hasn't played in years who is deathly afraid of Rasputina and her gunline style but I don't know what he actually DOES have, and one person who probably doesn't really have the money to play, but would be playing ressies if he did.
>>44107299
I'm mostly looking for a Master to pick, in either Arcanists or Ten Thunders, to cover Mei's weaknesses. I'd love Ten Thunders, but it just doesn't seem like the right choice for Mei, so I started looking into Arcanists.
>>44104560
What Master would you suggest as a second out of Ten Thunders, for the above, then?
>>
>>44107954

Check out McCabe
>>
>>44107954
If you want to avoid the traditional wild west themes I'm a big fan of Yan Lo when he's played as TT.

He's a really good support master that doesn't get enough credit because the things he does for his crew aren't as flashy or destructive as other masters. But if you could buy a henchman who could teleport, heal the crew, got bonuses to his CA stat and free upgrades as the game went on, and with a 1 stone upgrade could re-summon dead models how many soulstones would that cost?
>>
>>44107954
>Fuck this stupid steampunk horror western bullshit, I'm playing Street Fighter at you now

Shenlong
>>
>>44097456
You have to get out of there. Its a no fly zone for wallets.

I say, entirely content to buying leviticus at the end of today and a large port I n of his pariah of iron list.
>>
>>44108467
Shenlong sucks balls. The only reason to buy his box is because it's the only way to get Sensei Yu.

He's a jack of all trades, who is a master of none.

Every time I've played Shenlong and tried to kill things i iwshed he was Misaki, everytime I played him as a support piece I wished he was McCabe, and anytime I tried to make use of his push abilities he just felt like a worse Yan Lo.
>>
>>44108467
>>44108456
The other concern was model overlap. I liked Kaeris because the "Hey, you're on fire" concept worked for both - how's the model overlap with McCabe/Shenlong and Mei?
>>
>>44108520
Honestly? Not great.

That's a major problem with TT in general.

Arcanists too, but to a lesser degree. Ramos, kaeris, mei feng, and ironsides overlap. But Marcus, colette, and rasputina are all really doing their own thing completely unrelated to the rest of the faction.
>>
>>44108560
As this is minis game number four I'm currently playing (five if you count x-wing) I was looking for a good overlap to make buying in easier.
>>
>>44108520
Ten Thunders have the same problem that Neverborn do.

When you can take Illuminated, why would you ever NOT take them? They're just so good for their points cost.
>>
File: kirai_molly.jpg (153 KB, 1314x900) Image search: [Google]
kirai_molly.jpg
153 KB, 1314x900
After starting out with Arcanists I found I was basically playing no-one but Ramos because summoning is so much fun. So I've switched to Ressurectionists.

I have Nicodem, and McMourning, and I want a 3rd master who can use the more 'spirity' elements of the faction. What are people's thoughts on Molly and Kirai?

On paper Kirai's abilities seem to offer more synergy, and her summoning seems more flexible. But Molly has the advantage that I can play her with Horrors as well if I want to.

(I've never actually played against either, so its all just theory-crafting really).
>>
>>44109023

They're both quite good. Some rate Kirai as "probably too good" like Levi.
>>
>>44109023

This post seems useful:
http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/109648-kirai-vs-molly/?do=findComment&comment=863453
>>
>>44109023
>>44109107
Molly and Kirai played well are both exceedingly irritating.

They're both surprisingly mobile (if Molly hires Madame Sybelle she can be in the opponents deployment zone on turn 1)
Molly can put debuffs on enemies, while Kirai is more focussed on buffing her own crew.
Neither of them do much damage themselves.
Individually Molly is a lot tougher than Kirai, but Kirai can teleport to any friendly spirit on the board a 0 action, and all the Seishin that end up floating around give her an easy way to heal. But in practive enemies tend not to want to target Kirai too often because they don't want Ikiryo popping out and wrecking their face.

The big difference imo is that if the enemy crew can spread out then they pretty effectively neuter Molly's summoning, whereas Kirai gives 0 fucks about whether the enemy clump up or not.

And that's what pushes her above Molly for me.
>>
>>44109126
The official forums are full of idiots, and fanboys. I wouldn't trust them to even get rules questions right, let alone make value judgements about models.
>>
>>44109107
Really?

Is she that obnoxious? That would kind of push me towards Molly. There are a lot of players round here who like to whine when they lose to 'broken' things. Whether that's whatever is the 'best deck' this week in mtg, or the newest codex in 40K.

Gotten so tired of dealing with it that I've started deliberately picking 2nd tier things in my lists in most games just so I don't have to put up with their attitude.

Has had the nice side effect of forcing me to use things I dismissed as not good enough on first impression. (I'm continually amazed about how often my first impression on things was completely wrong. Except in 40K, its way too easy to Mathhammer things to work out what is optimum (which is kind of the main reason I don't play much of it anymore).
>>
Why is everyone ordering for their boyfriends?
>>
>>44110080
christmas in 2 weeks.
>>
Hey, Freikorps guy posting again.

Had my first couple games yesterday against minion-happy Nico and Ramos crews respectively. Von Schill and the Strongarm are hilarious since they can just charge from unit to unit and can't be easily tarpitted, and then it's punching the master in the face until he dies. Immunity to pulses really helps against those Punk Zombies too.

Love it. Need a good colourscheme to paint them now. Thinking grey fatigues, dark navy coats, and white for the armour elements..
>>
>>44110080
>Why?

Do you mean 'what?'

Because "Why" should be pretty obvious. If you know your other half enjoys a game then buying something for them for christmas is just choosing a thoughtful gift.

And if you both play then you can both get enjoyment out of it.

As for "what"?

I got my Girlfriend a copy of the Nightmare Kirai box, because she hates painting gets me to do it all normally, and I want to try painting some transparent models.
>>
>>44110080
Wat. My boyfriend doesn't even play minis games. I'm buying for me.
>>
>>44110152
I think they are referring to when people were saying my bf order came...etc. mistaking bf for boyfriends and not black friday.
>>
So why is it that Neverborn Zoraida seems poorly rated, and Gremlins Zoraida is considerably more praised?
>>
>>44110248
2 Reasons

1. Neverborn have some of the best masters in the game, and in comparison Zoraida is severely lacking
2. Gremlin players are dumb.
>>
>>44110304

Any further insight there to point 2, or are we just hating on entire playerbases?
>>
>>44110341
Might just be my local meta, but the type of player who is attracted to Gremlins seems to be the sort of player who enjoys random effects, and 'quirky' rules.

Unless they have a good fundamental understanding of the game already, then the things that Gremlins do well aren't appreciated by the average Gremlin player.
They take for granted that they can out activate opponents, so they never learn how to sequence activations properly.
They have copious amounts of good healing (slop haulers), so they never learn that sometimes you just need to have a model run away so that it can live to score points later.
They have ridiculous movement abilities in the form of pigapults, which means they never have to learn to pick their battles when it comes to contesting table quarters, as they can just catapult pigs where they need to be.

Gremlin players who have experience with other factions are generally speaking, much tougher opponents, but most players I know either love gremlins (and play them exclusively), or hate them (and couldn't be convinced to play them even if you bought the models for them).
>>
>>44094840
why bleeding edge tech on the rail golem? is it for the rail workers? That 0 action could be better used on locomotion or something else?
>>
>>44110152
No everyone is saying bf orders
>>
I'm having a hard time deciding if I can justify Hans in my crew or not. He's an excellent sniper and my board has a lot of terrain that we vary up between matches, but typically I can place a building in the centre of the map for sniper coverage. However, most of my enemies are Rezzers or Arcanists (except for a shooty Perdita crew) and getting rid of markers with the Specialist feels way more useful.

I'm really torn here. Anyone use Hans to success?
>>
>>44110726

black friday, please don't be dense.
>>
What sleeves do you guys use for your cards to mark on with dry erase?
>>
>>44110728
Hans is great against Arcanists because he can ignore armour.

Plus his "drawback" which makes enemy masters able to ignore his attacks if they discard cards is a win win. 2 cards out of your opponents hand is huge anytime you can make it happen.

If you happen to play against Kirai, his ability to ignore incorporeal can make her crew melt too. (Just make sure you don't accidentally summon Ikiryo because Hans does not like being in melee with a giant death spirit).

I think he's at his best with Hamelin, All those rats means that your entire opponents crew will have to go before you move any of your important models, and then you can have Hamelin lure the enemy out of cover for Hans to pick them off 1 at a time.
>>
>>44110890
Transparent MtG sleeves are perfectly sized.

There are a lot of brands out there that make them, I like KMC the best, because they are basically immune to wear and tear.

Of course you won't be shuffling your stat cards like you would an MtG deck, so you could probably get away with cheaper sleeves. But I have stacks of KMCs lying around anyway, so I just used the same as I do for Magic.

Don't get the 'perfect fit' sleeves though. Wizards of the Coast have MUCH better quality control than Wyrd, and basically every magic card ever printed is the exact same size. There's quite a bit of variation between different print runs of Malifaux cards, which means I have quite a few cards that are slightly too big to fit into the 'perfect fit' sleeves.
>>
>>44109023
Keep playing Ramos? It's what I do. I'll drop another master when I'm confident about the pool or my opponent's skill levels, but Ramos is amazeballs.
>>
>>44110581
This is very true. I hated gremlins with a fury until I finally just picked Ulix up for GenCon, where I played him to best in faction at their friday tournament.

Gremlins play such a different game that a lot of people who play them don't really wrap their head around the way the game really plays and never take advantage of their real strengths.

And if an established player decides to toy around with gremlins, look out.
>>
>>44110591
Healing on things like Rail Workers, Metal Gamin and Mechanical Spiders is streets ahead.
>>
>>44110728
Hans will very likely be seeing a personal upgrade in the near future.

Don't ask how I know these things.
>>
>>44110581

Hey, fair enough. Thanks for the detailed response.
>>
>>44110304
I think a better way to describe it would be that a lot of Neverborn masters are very straightforward. Even guys with tricks like Lynch are still pretty "engage, deflower, score" in their general playstyle.

Zoraida makes you think. She takes work. Everything else in Neverborn is like an adrenaline injected penis.
>>
>>44111015

But aren't the stat cards larger than your standard card size?
>>
>>44111281
Probably the same way that I know that the Slateridge Mauler will probably be getting one as well.
>>
>>44111372
Nope, they're the same size as Magic the Gathering cards.

You get the odd exception. My Mechanical Rider card is about 3-4mm bigger for no apparent reason it also has the wound boxes mis-printed. (see my earlier comment about Wyrd's quality control procedures).
>>
>>44111586
Then you saw the most recent preview model?

She looks hilarious.
>>
>>44092821
My order is still unfulfilled. I just hope it gets here in time so I can get things assembled and painted for CaptainCon
>>
>>44111308
Straightforward to play adequately, very hard to master.

If you play against a good Lillith player, and an average Lillith player the difference is striking.

Same is true of Pandora, Jakob Lynch, and The Dreamer.

I'm not sure about Collodi, he seems like he should be good... but I've never seen him do terribly well.

And I don't think Lucius or Zoraida are good at all. When played well they can do alright, but I can't honestly see why you'd pick them over any other Neverborn master (except for fluff, or aesthetic reasons).
>>
File: 20151211_201443.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151211_201443.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>44111372
>>44111623
Pic related
>>
>>44111650

?

Or is this secret beta stuff.
>>
>>44111650
If you mean the Spawn Mother? Then yes. Otherwise no.

During the Nythera event Wyrd ran polls in all of the hidden faction forums and asked which models the players thought needed a buff. Slateridge mauler won the Arcanist poll by a landslide.

Which isn't surprising seeing as the model is at least 1, if not 2 soulstones too expensive for what you get.
>>
>>44111903
Might be thinking of the blessed of December
>>
>>44111623
>>44111822

Gotcha. Thanks senpai.
>>
>>44111697

I can say Lucius has way more style than any of the other masters, at least. Great sculpt.
>>
>>44111697
Totally agree on most counts. Lilith players have a very small middle ground. They're either awful or rage inducing. Once you realize the bullshit she can really make happen if you stop relying on your greatsword she gets pretty scary.

I don't think Lucius is that bad, though. He can bring an obnoxious gunline to the faction which can be a really great meta play. You come expecting melee, instead you get a rifle line. He can make illuminated incredibly sick (Having one focus, then shoot and apply brilliance before it activates and charges? Sure, I'll take that!).

Zoraida doesn't get the same action economy but I refuse to believe she isn't a solid master. Colette shits over people with almost the same toolbox, but Zoraida can target enemy models as well. Her voodoo doll can make some really crazy tricks happen too, and she's got a very versatile kit of models to hire. Bringing Nurses outside of resurs should be considered a superpower.
>>
>>44111943
I was hugely involved in the Arcanist forums for the event. I'm really sad we lost the forum badges because I'd wear mine forever.
>>
>>44112009
Dapper.
As.
Fuck!
>>
>>44112128

Love the watch. "I've got better things to be doing than kicking your ass."
>>
>>44112019
Colette has Prompt, Zoraida has obey.

9 times out of 10 prompt is better than obey, because most of the time giving your own models out of activation actions is so powerful.

Prompt gets you a push and an action, but can only target friendly models, and only needs a 6 or higher to work. Obey needs a 7 to cast, it can target anyone, but it can be resisted by enemies and only has a CA of 7 so its by no means a guaranteed thing if you try and move an enemy.

IMO its the push built into the prompt action which makes it ridiculous. Prompt a huge beat stick and push it into melee range, and then it gets to make an attack.

Also the showgirl upgrade "Practiced Production" is a special kind of bullshit.
>>
Does anyone have a 'core' list for Dreamer? The bare essentials you run in most every list, and then the leftover room is tailored to the match as necessary.
>>
>>44112287
Dreamer:
- Dreams of Pain 5
Widow Weaver 8
Dopelganger 7
2 Illuminated 14

This leaves you 16 stones, 12 if you take a maximum cache (which I always do with any summoner).

I never hire Lilu, or Lilutu, but I nearly always summon them as soon as possible.
>>
>>44112442
>>44112287
Worth mentioning that the Dopelganger, and at least 1 illuminated are the first things I add to any Neverborn list.
>>
"dice"+2d4+2
>>
>>44112442
Whoops, slight mistake, Dreamer has a cache of 3, not 2, so you actually have 13 stones left over. Not 12.
>>
>>44112442
>>44112475

Thanks much, it gives me a place to start.
>>
"dice2d4+2"
>>
"dice+2d4+2"
>>
dice+2d4+2
>>
>>44112442

Any opinion on when and how many Daydreams to hire?
>>
>>44112646
I don't think I ever have...

I mean their cheap activations, which is nice. And their 4" push is OK, certainly nothing to get that excited over. Generally speaking I'd normally save the 2 SS for my pool, or buy a 1 -2 stone upgrade. Certainly don't hire 3.Even 2 is a bit iffy, because for the same number of stones you could be getting a Terror Tot, or a Depleted, which will normally have a much larger impact on the game than 2 daydreams.
>>
>>44112834

No love for their Accomplice or ability to slap a Mask onto all of Dreamer's Ca actions?
>>
>>44112966
Using Accomplice off of the Daydream basically negates any activation control you got by hiring the daydream in the first place. And its not like the Daydream is doing anything spectacular to make another models activation that much better than it would have been if it just activated instead of the daydream.

And adding a suit to Dreamer's CA is basically sacrificing a 2SS model to get the same effect you get from just spending a soulstone from your pool. Just doesn't seem a good deal to me.
>>
What's the cheapest way to get an Obedient Wretch?

I need it for my metal Hamelin crew, and the only one I've found on ebay is around $20 including shipping.
>>
Oh hey, this game. A friend of mine wants to get me into this game despite how I've told him I'm not into western or stesmpunk shit, to the point where he's willing to buy me one of those starting boxes with the caster in it just to try it. I'm tired of his constant whinging and I'd be willing to lose him as a friend just to shut him up. Which caster or whatever is the best to just troll someone with and ruin their experience?
>>
>>44113679

You could just play Neverborn, which has no steampunk or western influences.
>>
File: pandora.png (263 KB, 500x765) Image search: [Google]
pandora.png
263 KB, 500x765
>>44113679
Pandora is soul crushing if you don't know all her tricks. But her box is pretty terrible, you need quite a bit more to make her competitive.
>>
>>44113836
Yes, but I'd still have to play against it.
>>
>>44113679
>I Have decided I hate something before trying it and my friend is trying to get me to try it to see if I might like it anyway.
>He has even offered to pay for me to try this thing
>I want to spit in the face of my friend who is trying to do a nice thing for me. Help me be the biggest asshole possible /tg/

You should go and play Warmachine. I think you'd get on with their playerbase.
>>
>>44113586
I believe they still have a model or two you can ship from atomic empire in NC. Shits like $6.00
>>
>>44114098
Already do, since 40k dried up around here and nobody wants to play actually GOOD games. Good job twisting a guy refusing to take no for an answer for the last 4+ months to be my fault, though. Very impressive.
>>
>>44114201
Out of curiousity, what do you consider a good game that no one is playing near you?
>>
>>44114201

You're the one that came in here to tell us you hate the game we like and want to ruin the experience for someone else. Put your foot down and quit being a passive-aggressive ass.
>>
>>44114393
X-wing, Dropzone, BFG (If nobody is playing Necrons), Warhammer Fantasy (6th and earlier), stuff like that.
>>44114846
I did. A flat no got him "subtly" hinting about it within a month.
>>
>>44114098

We don't want him either.
>>
>>44115053
you sound like a right cunt
>>
>>44115338
That's pretty insulting to cunts everywhere.
>>
File: 1403022249371.png (739 KB, 648x965) Image search: [Google]
1403022249371.png
739 KB, 648x965
>>44113679
>I've told him I'm not into western or stesmpunk shit

Malifaux is more cyberpunk wearing the skin of a steampunk setting. There are megacorps, crime syndicates, PMCs, robotic augments and several crews are strait up punks.
>>
>>44117216
Its still steampunk, but unlike all other steampunk settings, it actually focuses on the 'punk' part, instead of just sticking gears onto top hats.
>>
>>44117216
Huge cunt or not, if you don't like ghost cowboys and robot spiders, then you just don't like ghost cowboys and robot spiders. Nothing wrong with that.

Let's all move on and talk about something else, like how awesome Mechanical Porkchops are gonna be or what the best way to start a Pandora crew is.
>>
>>44101843
Git yer bro
>>
>>44117409
Not to mention Abominations, Rats, and Steam Arachnids.

Really, and summoner that can summon exactly one model probably wants more of them than come in the crew box.
>>
How good is a Levi summoning list?
>>
>>44110581
So do you have any tips for a new player running Somer? My favorite thing to do right now is lock up my opponents with skeeters.

Played a couple of games over the years but only recently started to play regularly. I get what you are saying about order of activation being important, but til I get more experience its a bit tricky.
>>
>>44117609
It's not. He summons mostly by accident when he kills something. If you're using his actions to not kill something, you're using him wrong.
>>
>>44117609
>>44119855

This is why I personally don't feel a need to buy a second box of Abominations. I don't make much effort to spawn them in, and having more than 4 in play at once is quite unusual.
>>
>>44119988
It's useful if you ever pick up a D engine though, since you'll almost definitely be grabbing From the Aether on Alyce. It's a fine line between accumulating 4 for a D engine and oh crap now I have five.
>>
>>44120474

I have a Deso, actually. I find it is more useful as an ominous threat, prompting my opponent to waste time on Abominations, than an actual piece on the board.
>>
>>44108504
He's a scheme runner/disrupter who whenever needed can jump in and give support or offense. He and Yu combined make a ridiculously mobile crew that can tear up any marker-game by your opponent while boosting yours.
>>
>>44108605
Well, the difference between factions like 10T/Guild and Resser/Arcs is that 10T don't need specific models to work, and most models can find a place with almost any master. The main thing different sets give you is different types of minions. Since Mei's aren't particularly focused on killing and mobility, picking a crew with just that would offset them.

Yan Lo's box would give more of the same type of minions; sturdy and reliable, and a cheap healer on top.

Shenlong's box gives fairly aggressive minions and one of the best henchmen in the game, one that fits with almost any crew though admittedly least with Mei.(Still a decent option though, real good in buffing and running schemes)

Lynch's crew gives tough units that do well killing, but it lacks an extra enforcer/henchman to use with Mei.

Mccabe gives cheap scheme runners and an extremely aggressive ranged henchman with some support tricks.

Misaki gives you some okay scheme runners and a glass cannon henchman that needs some movement tricks to be a viable threat,

Don't pick brewmaster just yet because his box gives only Gremlin units.

In terms of playstyle for the other masters. As Mei is someone who can run down a lot of small minions she's best suited for scheme denial and general killing-things, she's not as suited for taking out large models and matchups where youll be facing smaller crews.
>>
>>44121431
Yan is a support piece who can shift its focus to most schemes though since he's a bit lacking in the threat department he's gonna rely on his crew to get the kills.

Shenlong is someone who buffs up whatever its crew does best or is lacking in, and is generally a versatile master who can change tactics and playstyle on the fly. Also a bit lacking in raw power.

Lynch is made for killing. He supports his crew through card manipulation and ranged damage - his basic crew generally being extremely killy to begin with.

Mccabe is someone who buffs up all the units around him and races across the board debuffing enemies. Great for schemes, completely reliant on crews for killing.

Misaki is a glass canon with minimal interaction with her crew. She kills big units and moves about a lot.

The brewmaster is all debuffing. He gives minusses to everyone making it impossible to achieve things if you're anywhere near.
>>
>>44121431

I'm presently a Neverborn player, but I'm really interested in Shenlong. Since I already have Lynch, do you suppose grabbing Yan Lo and a few other releases would make for a big enough model pool for the monk?
>>
>>44121504
Yan Lo's minions are resser only, so he wouldnt be ideal. If you have Shenlong and Lynch I'd say the most important pieces your crew still needs are seperate releases like Yin, the Snipers and the Tengu, though Mei Feng's crew would give some cheaper units and Kang, who helps kill everything not living.
>>
>>44121605

Thanks.
>>
Do we know the normal release dates of Insidious Madness and the Nephilim Twins? I'm assuming March or April.
>>
10 points left on this general build.

The Dreamer -- 7ss
+Dreams Of Pain - 5ss
+Otherworldly - 2ss
Day Dream x 3 - 6ss
Coppelius - 8ss
+On Dreaming Wings - 2ss
Mr. Tannen - 6ss
Teddy - 11ss

Figure that leaves some leeway for things like Widow Weaver, Madnesses, or a Stitched. I'm more inclined to try and summon in Lelu and Lilitu as quickly as possible. Any thoughts?
>>
>>44124356
Stitched are better summoned than hired.

I'd add in a doppelganger, as they are never not useful.
>>
>>44124356
The teddy is situational in mx opinion.
Widow Weaver makes for a better core as having WP decrease is always good even if you are playing strategies where the Widow Weaver doesn't excel at her dynergy with rhe dreamer is great.
>>
>>44124702

While Doppels are good, what precisely would it be doing here? Tagging along with Coppy?
>>
Really wish I could've gotten the alternate Barbaros sculpt, but not so much that I would've sold an arm to afford that buy-in. Jesus, Wyrd.
>>
>>44125279
If you're willing to wait a year it'll probably be in the next black Friday sale for like $20.
>>
>>44125344
>>
>>44125344

Guess we'll see.
>>
What is The Guild like earth side?
>>
>>44125105
Interacting while engaged, cheating the initiative flip, allong with copying whatever you need. Double chatty bubbles can be devastating.
>>
>>44126927
We'll probably see when we get more info about their new game, The Other Side
>>
File: download.jpg (243 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
243 KB, 1000x1000
>>44126927

I don't know if this involves the Guild, but apparently Earth is equally shitty compared to Malifaux.
>>
>>44127906
Canonically, the guild is bigger than most governments earth side.
>>
>>44127877
What is The Other Side? Another skirmish game, or something new?
>>
>>44129534
I believe they said it was going to be something new.
>>
>>44102139
Two Words - Recalled Training.
>>
>>44092821
I've had mine since Monday. We all combined our orders and had one person basically F5-ing their website to get it in ASAP. Feels good man.

Now that I've got Kirai, Datsue-Ba, Gaki and a bunch of other stuff, I'm switching to Ressers for a bit. Dunno the first thing about Kirai, so it should be interesting.
>>
>>44129718

I think the most we know about it ATM is that it'll be a larger scale game (I think Wyrd has suggested closer to Warmahordes size), although no idea if it'll also be in the Warmahordes style or if they're going to use group bases/stands instead.
>>
Anyone have the OP pasta with links to the rulebooks and the rpg PDFs?
>>
>>44130299
Malifaux general, here are some useful links,

books;
https://mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG
>>
>>44130666
Cheers m8
>>
>>44129976
Just picked up Kirai myself. She's really difficult to master. She has so much she can do it makes it a struggle to decide what she should be doing any given turn.

Should she activate late to make use of her manipulative? Or should she activate early to get some summons in?
Should she be staying back and supporting? Or getting in close to try and draw fire to enable you to summon Ikiryo?
Should you clump up to catch more models in the Ikiryo threat bubble? Or spread out to make the best use of her enter the spirit world teleportation?

So far there doesn't seem to be an easy "right" answer to any of the above.

Its a big change from Seamus, where the only question i ever had to answer was "Which enemy am i killing this turn?"
>>
Apparently Into the Steam is out? Anyone got a copy?
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.