[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good System to play Samurai Jack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: aku face 1.jpg (44 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
aku face 1.jpg
44 KB, 680x510
Which system do you think is the better one to play on the setting of Samurai Jack?

Which kind of campaign would you like to play?
>>
It's a good show but I don't think it'd make a good game
>>
Toon, any superhero game, Legend of the Five Rings, Shadowrun, or even Rifts could work depends on what direction you wanted to go with it.
>>
>>44091956
Whats a system where magic weapons and items are the fucking bomb but a warrior and still step to a wizard and ruin his day?
>>
File: this game was a loss of time.png (243 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
this game was a loss of time.png
243 KB, 500x378
>>44091956
Dungeon World
>>
File: Aku is a slut.png (227 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
Aku is a slut.png
227 KB, 500x376
>>44091993
To be quite honest, the power levels on Samurai Jack are insane.

Even the regular guys that he defeats on a daily basis are implied to be great warriors.

Each 3 episodes he basically fights an epic level character.
>>
>>44091991
Toon?

Never heard about it, but seems interesting. How is it? Does it try to emulate cartoon physics?
>>
>>44092050
Still though a lot of the things he actually has trouble with fight him hand to hand rather than use magic.
>>
>>44092050
True, I remember that there was someone on /co/ making a chart with the power level of the guys that Jack fought, I will try to find it.
>>
File: 1449623726777.jpg (28 KB, 530x389) Image search: [Google]
1449623726777.jpg
28 KB, 530x389
>>44092306
Here it is.

Invincible Tier

>Scotman's wife

Elder Gods Tier:

>The Ancient Gods
> The Primordial Darkness, where Aku came from.

God Tier:

>Four Elemental Spirits of Earth - Above Aku
>Aku
>Portal Guardian
>Jack with his sword
>Scotman
>Hunter Pack of Imakandi
>Eldest Master Monk
>Minions of Set - that can only be killed by elder gods.

Heroes of Legends Tier:

>Jack without Magic sword
>The Spartan King
>Lava Monster
>Demongo
>Ultrabots - They were wrecking the shit out of Jack, but mostly because he wasnt physiccally able to cut trouth them - I dont see them as stronger than the Spartan King for example.
>Three Blind Archers
>Solitary Imakandi, probably at the bottom of the list

Elite Warrior Tier:

>X9
>The 5 Bounty Hunters
>Dome of Doom gladiators
>The Ninja
>Shaolin Monks

Above Avarage Warrior Tier:

>Da Samurai
>Most bounty hunters and battle robots.

Ordinary Tier:

>Talking dogs
>Avarage citizen
>>
File: Don_1.png (138 KB, 483x536) Image search: [Google]
Don_1.png
138 KB, 483x536
>>44093448
>gangsters not present
Well that list is just not proper.
>>
File: demongo_by_angelbreed-d2ztai4.jpg (557 KB, 789x1000) Image search: [Google]
demongo_by_angelbreed-d2ztai4.jpg
557 KB, 789x1000
>>44093527
Ordinary tier?

Man, how I love this show, and the variety of styles and characters that he could fight.

The setting can provide basically any kind of story or villain.
>>
You guys know that Adult Swim is making another season, right?
>>
Exalted. Jack is probably the best example of a Dawn caste you'll ever come across, and Aku makes a great Raksha.
>>
>>44091956
Wild Talents

I feel ORE would keep up with the fast combat from the series
>>
Like, I'm a GURPSfag so that's my first reaction. /meme

But in all seriousness I think something like FATE would be better. Lo5R could be good, but I don't have much experience with it.
>>
File: fugged about it.png (765 KB, 969x709) Image search: [Google]
fugged about it.png
765 KB, 969x709
>>44093695
>ordinary
>knocked jack out in a single blow
They're obviously power players of some kind.
>>
>>44091956
Feng Shui 2.
Seriously, that's what you want.

Feng Shui 2 is perfect due to it's highly descriptive combat nature and "Kill a thousand mooks, fight ten great enemies and go toe to toe with your arch rival" nature.
>>
>>44093858
Feng Shui 1, Feng Shui 2, Wushu, or Legends of Wulin?
>>
>>44093855
Lucky move.

They are freaking manlets.
>>
Shadowrun.

Mix high technology with magic, and with Jack being a physical adept.
>>
>>44092065
It's been a while but as I recall high rolls let you shape reality with bonus points for making the group laugh
>>
>>44095702
Takes more than luck to get jack by surprise. To even strike him. And they took him out in one hit. Pocketed the ancient, one-of-a-kind artifact right from under Aku's nose, too.

Can't be a fluke, the whole meeting was deliberate. Take jack to make a distraction for the pickpocket, knock jack out before things get hairy so you get a favor from an ancient evil, and come out of it with 100% profits and the power to control every ocean on earth.

They're probably the most powerful and dangerous humans in the setting, hidden under the thin veneer of a slapstick mobster parody.
deepest lore
>>
>>44095929
Well, the chart is about physical habillity. But where would you place them?
>>
>>44093448
>Scotsman's wife is invincible tier.
Can somebody explain this to me?
>>
>>44096165
Have you seen her fight?
>>
>>44096255
Sadly no.
I was around when Jack premiered and I remember a lot of episodes, but the one with the Scotsman's wife evaded me.
>>
>>44096299
She can defeat jack and the scotsman together with no weapons.
>>
>>44096299
She is also the hottest girl of the show.

Yes, hottest than trap Aku.
>>
>>44096140
Where the portal guardian is, obviously. We haven't seen the true limits of their awesome powers, but mobsters > jack with sword and that's WITHOUT using lethal weaponry.

I shudder to imagine the carnage on the day where they decide to turn the safeties off.
>>
>>44096666
>I shudder to imagine the carnage on the day where they decide to turn the safeties off.
I bet you actually get off on it Satan
>>
>>44093909
Legends of Wulin is a system where there really aren't weak opponents.

That sounds perfect for Jack.
>>
>>44093448
What about the thief (aka the Jigen clone/expy/recolor)?
>>
>>44096299
She wrecks a bunch of demon robots who managed to give jack and the scotsman a difficult time.

When she is angry, she is above both jack and the scot in therms of power.
>>
>>44098618
that's ultra satan
>>
Rifts
>>
>>44096406
>hotter than trap Aku
Now I know you're pulling my leg.
>>
File: 1437019596903.png (386 KB, 1086x949) Image search: [Google]
1437019596903.png
386 KB, 1086x949
>>44091956
Before Disney Villains Victorious collapsed upon itself, there was a lot of discussion about doing a similar styled crossover game for Cartoon Network. I talked about it with my players (we were watching Samurai Jack at the time), and they sounded interested in giving it a go next year.

In other words, you might want to try out the DVV system.

Pic related is one of the pictures we got out of the discussion. I have a few more somewhere on my computer.
>>
Who is this Samurai Jack I've heard people talking about?
Some kind of new robot? What do they have to offer dirt-peasants like you and me?
>>
>>44091956
GURPS
>>
File: sexy redhead amputee upskirt.gif (673 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
sexy redhead amputee upskirt.gif
673 KB, 500x375
>>44103967
Here, pull mine instead
>>
Honestly I just did it in 3.5.

The important thing for me was the nice mix of humor and seriousness, and for the players to be on a quest that is constantly being foiled in a world where anything can happen.

Instead of robots I threw random mobs at them, but most of the time I was going for feel over an exact replay of SJ. So there were a lot of ancient temples and the like, but there were also quite a few more creative encounters and side plots that didn't involve combat at all most ripped straight from SJ episodes, but my players are dimwits so they didn't catch on. I think the key to it was not being afraid to run encounters that forced creative solutions instead of straight combat. I had numerous "your sword bounces harmlessly off the creature's hide" or "He deftly evades every arrow" moments, but was always sure to leave them an out. I also made almost every one of those monsters by scratch so no metagaming.

Also the your NOT-Aku needs to be ever present, a total dick, just enough of a buffoon and likeable that no one really hates him, and always have the most ridiculous plans
>>
>>44091956
Exalted desu.
>>
>>44104091
Which kind of characters yoir players used?
>>
>>44104043
Why there isn't a *stat me" with him?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.