[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Devious Traps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: 1449713748135.png (39 KB, 1505x1457) Image search: [Google]
1449713748135.png
39 KB, 1505x1457
Clever Trap thread. No, not a "Haha you didn't trap check every 10 ft, a rock falls down and you're all dead" or a "Oh you stepped there? Projectile 100 ft into a wall of spikes! "

I'm talking about traps that is obviously a trap, but if the players go on their gut instinct rather than thinking about it, they're going to screw themselves over. Possibly a situation where at first, it seems like someone needs to die for everyone one person to survive.

Starting off with this clever trap from an earlier poster.
> Players dropped into a room with a stairway going up.
> If players go up, they find there's no where to go, besides wait until the chamber is slowly filled.
> The door out is actually in the bottom chamber. Not immediately visible, but opens once the chamber is significantly filled.
>>
File: 1446976944640.jpg (483 KB, 1000x682) Image search: [Google]
1446976944640.jpg
483 KB, 1000x682
Another trap:

> Players split into two rooms that can see and talk to one and another.
> Monsters are surrounding outside the entrance doors they came into this room from.
> There's a sign on the exit doors.
> "Opening an exit door, will unlock the other chambers entrance door, and lock their exit."
> The key is simply to time it and open them at both at once.
>>
Trap number 3:

> There's a massive gap with spikes on the floor.
> A bridge is activated, extending out and closing the gap.
> Problem is, the bridge was activated by body weight. Easy solution, someone has to stay behind. Or they can leave 100lb of equipment behind.
>>
File: tumblr_mywwto0udD1rgfuxjo1_500.jpg (60 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mywwto0udD1rgfuxjo1_500.jpg
60 KB, 426x600
My Iron Maiden Trap. Last one I can think of for now.

> There's an iron maiden with a body inside.
> Etched on the iron maiden, "The door shall open upon filling of tribute."
> The iron maiden is connected to a funnel, that appears to be hooked up with tubes into a large transparent container. It appears that the container can hold as much blood as a human has.
> Easy solution, lock someone in there. Let them bleed out and die, opening the door out.
> Iron Maiden deals damage over time.
> The percentage of damage done to whoever is inside the Iron Maiden, fills the container by that percentage.
> Actual solution is to split the time within the Iron maiden between the party.
>>
I made a dungeon that was actively spiteful once. A magic door showing images of people burning their shoes, which does cause the door to open for just a few seconds, likely not letting people through the first time and only a few the second. The pitch-black hallway it opens into had a floor covered in broken, blasted glass, and wreaks of oils. there are handholds along one wall for just a few feet to offer respite. The handhelds are all pressure triggers that cause jets of natural, flammable gas to vent, blasting the party from one wall against the other and then onto the glass on the ground. My pure martial types shield-surfed across and flung shields across, one of the scholars fumbled and stopped less than half way, blocking the hall, and triggered the pressure plates with torch in hand, getting blasted into the wall, onto the floor, and immolated from the gas and torch.
>>
>>44089970
Saw 4 or saw 5? Can't remember. Loses a lot of the kick without the build-up though
>>
>>44089891
why would the party split
>>
Traps are stupid, because anyone trying to trap and kill you would not build an escape route into it.

It would literally be "You just got locked in a room filling with water until you fucking die", and then players would need to use their abilities to poke a hole in the ceiling or teleport out or something. Why would someone design an escapable trap?
>>
>>44089970
Fill the iron-maiden's collecting chamber via the holes in its bottom with water/wine/piss, then close the lid. Maiden mechanism takes it as if someone bled out in it, and opens.
>>
File: 1431296007136.gif (763 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1431296007136.gif
763 KB, 400x300
>>44090079
In case they got caught?
>>
>>44090099
Distinctly home alone-esque
>>
>>44090080
If they have enough urine equal to how much blood is in a human body, should work too.
>>
>>44090079
Psychological damage is the reason they usually come up in my settings. I do some very horror based games.

Alternatively in case they get trapped in them themselves, they know a way out.
>>
>>44089840
I don't like traps like these. It's a shitty gimmick trap that leads to a TPK based on one decision.
>>
>>44090631
1.2 gallons is the average amount of blood per person.

Your bladder holds about 800mls of pee overnight while you're asleep, but most people on average gotta pee during the day at about 400mls.

4542 mls is 1.2 gallons, so you would need the pee of roughly 10-12 people to fill the iron maiden with the equivalent amount of blood. And before you decide to start jacking off and using semen to lower that count, an average wad of baby batter is only 3 or 4 mls.

Mind you, in a normal party of 4, simply having everyone add in their pee saves you about 1600 mls of blood, which is substantial.

Would poop count? What about vomit?
>>
>>44089970
Even splitting time between players is a horrible and painful idea. That'd be rational but not pleasant.
>>
>>44090054
Personalized loot
>>
>>44089970
I don't think that's how iron maidens work. Once you got stabbed by those spikes (especially like those on the picture), it doesn't really matter wether or not you're staying inside or not; you'll just bleed to death while inside, or you'll get out, and die from blood loss even more quickly (Assuming you're not given immediate, appropriate, and extensive medical care).
But I guess it's stupid to apply that kind of real-life wounds reasoning to a fantasy world.
>>
>>44090725
It could be babby's first iron maiden that only has like tiny spikes that only go in a little bit, and they're not all over. Like just situated around the ass and the midriff and arms or something.
>>
>>44089840
A pressure-plate trap in a narrow hallway that sets off a rockfall ten feet back up the hallway.
>>
>>44090686
Well vomit and shit would risk clogging the drain and breaking the trap, leaving you permanently trapped. And if you're the type of player to take a shit in a funnel, you deserve it.
>>
>>44089970
>the actual solution is to throw goblins in the trap until it opens

Just in case the party is made out of like... Warforged or stuff that don't have body fluids.
>>
>>44090686
If there party has access to spells that conjure up water, it gets even easier.
>>
>>44089970
Or why not just have one person sit in the iron maiden chugging healing potions?

Are you some sort of retard Anon?
>>
>>44090748
>blood that coagulates into a thick as shit gel/scabs after slowly dripping off spikes won't clog a drain, but caustic vomit/bile will

The poop, maybe. But you pour the pee on the caca after.

Or you use a large cauldron and piss/shit/throw up into it directly and use your 10 foot pole to make it a liquid and THEN pour it down the drain.

Who shits directly into an iron maiden? Do you even rogue?
>>
>>44089840
A Noble Girl calling for help from deep in the lair, when adventurers grab her they get electrocuted.

>Its a shocking rune disguised with an illusion spell

>Basically a fly zapper for adventurers.
>>
>>44090760
I dunno, would you volunteer to do that? Get stabbed for prolonged periods of time?
I'd just go back, find a corpse or animal and shove it in there.
>>
File: 1431295741004.png (612 KB, 720x433) Image search: [Google]
1431295741004.png
612 KB, 720x433
>>44090686
A flask of endless water completely negates the need, or casting create water inside of the jar should it be sealed. Magic solves the problem fairly easily. Even if you were in an anti-magic field., you could just empty a waterskin into it.
>>
>>44089840
>>
>>44090777
>I dunno, would you volunteer to do that? Get stabbed for prolonged periods of time?
Players rarely associate their characters pain with their own, that's why they're not afraid to be knocked down to 0 hp every combat encounter.
>>
>>44090760
Healing potions cost money. I'm not made out of money, you know. But I am made out of blood.

And you can sleep off damage! You can't make gold by sleeping!

Chugging a healing potion, really. You keep cutting into my bottom line here Bob, and I'm sick of your shit.
>>
>>44090780
I assumed it had to be pee/blood/vomit/caca because of the biological property of the offering, not the actual weight. If it was weight based, there's nothing to stop your party from pushing the Iron Maiden over and placing a rock on the plate, or using Mage Hand to push it down/all other kinds of dumb shit.
>>
>>44090079

So the people who actually belong to the dungeon can get around it and access whatever it is the dungeon is actually built for

It's like a door guard you don't have to feed or pay.
>>
Gamist (gamey? gamery?) versions of iron maidens and piss and shit...

Is this how you play?
>>
>>44090741
Then it wouldn't drain much blood.
>>
>>44090848
If the Rogue tells me that I can disarm a trap by pissing and shitting into it?

Yeah. This is dirty, nasty medieval times. I'm not wearing some shiny fucking World of Warcraft armor with 10 foot tall pauldrons and making sure my cape doesn't drag on the ground.

I'll eat fucking rats if I need to survive.
>>
>>44090920
Speed=/=volume. It should drain the same amount of blood, just takes longer.
>>
>>44089970
Have container based on weight - Density of blood is higher than water so container full of water won't activate door but with blood or something denser and tada door open and no water tricks as an easy get out
>>
File: 1431295906478.jpg (88 KB, 388x477) Image search: [Google]
1431295906478.jpg
88 KB, 388x477
>>44090820
If it was intelligent enough to determine the difference between blood and water then it is intelligent enough to tell the difference between blood and any other biological fluid.
>>
>>44090848
if i can disarm a trap by taking a leak into it or shoving goblins into it instead of draining massive amounts of my blood, i will
>>
An airtight room with what was a bonfire in it.

There isn't actually any oxygen left in the room so staying in it causes suffocation. A long hallway leading to the front door slows the diffusion rate. A few perception tests will tell you the iron hasn't rusted and the wood for the bonfire hasn't burned out. Knowledge arcana, common, nature, and any profession that has to do with fire will tell them that the bonfire ran out of air.

A few hours of waiting with the door wide open with disarm the trap.

>>44090760
You could also have a healer sit with them, healing the damage each turn.

Or take the corpses of your enemies and use their blood.

It's actually a pretty easy puzzle when you think about it,
>>
>>44090848
I don't want to stab myself.
Ergo, my character probably doesn't want to stab themself.
So my character tries to bypass the need to stab themself, by getting something else to be stabbed or avoiding the stabbing requirement entirely.

Seriously, what kind of roleplayed would I be if my character was fine with standing in an iron maiden for "a while" and painfully bleeding into a pot in a highly dangerous dungeon? That's not what any character would do. Ever.
>>
File: everythingisbomb.jpg (339 KB, 996x1386) Image search: [Google]
everythingisbomb.jpg
339 KB, 996x1386
>>44090959
That looks evil.
>>
>>44091059
>I only play as myself

Shit roleplayer
>>
>>44091243
It's more.. I'm a human. This is a basic human thing.
So my human probably also doesn't want to get stabbed. And I can't imagine many other races which are fine with it.
I guess a drow might be into giving blood in that fashion.

But hey, you're just nitpicking there.
>>
>>44091265
Blood cultist, thrill seeker, masochists, drow, races that have fast healing, etc.

There's more to consider than "I wouldn't like that so my character wouldn't like that".
>>
>>44089970
I cast create water!
>>
>>44091402
Solution #23
>>
>>44091369
Because of course I'm playing as one of the very few exceptions that like being painfully bled. One of which I mentioned.
I'm clearly aware of what you said. You posted it twice now. I mentioned it and clarified. You just want to argue.
>>
>>44091369
I think what Anon is trying to say is that very few people would voluntarily stab themselves if there was a viable alternative, and likewise most characters are unlikely to do so. Some characters might, but they are the abberation rather than the norm, and not roleplaying as a blood cultist isnt bad roleplaying, its just playing a different character.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.