[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2015, you've been a good year for fantasy. This of course
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: Gate thus the JSDF fought here.jpg (300 KB, 640x911) Image search: [Google]
Gate thus the JSDF fought here.jpg
300 KB, 640x911
2015, you've been a good year for fantasy. This of course being the highlight and the shining city on the hill which other fantasy writers should see and take as their example of how to do things right.
>>
>2011
>mediocre story
>standart art style

bait
>>
File: uh4c7Sw.gif (2 MB, 446x249) Image search: [Google]
uh4c7Sw.gif
2 MB, 446x249
>>44086105
BAIT

HARDER
>>
File: This Post.gif (345 KB, 222x183) Image search: [Google]
This Post.gif
345 KB, 222x183
>>44086105
Even by /a/'s low standards, GATE was shit.

I sincerely hope it's bait, because if it's not, you might literally have brain problems.
>>
But OP, that's not Overlord.
>>
>>44086105
I WISH that was good. Modern/Fantasy clash type stuff has always been interesting to me.

Alas, JAPAN STRONK among other things ruined this for me.
>>
>>44086239
>Overlord
>not Log Horizon
It's like you're intentionally shit.
>>
>>44086105
>This of course being the highlight and the shining city on the hill which other fantasy writers should see and take as their example of how to do things right.

>Not Overlord

>Not Log Horizon

>Not Dungeon Meshi

>Not even Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Which was by no accounts "good", but was still quite enjoyable.

>Gate.
>Not even Gate the Manga, but Gate the "remade" anime.
Anon, you had a LOT of good stuff to choose from and you've chosen poorly and are being judged for it.
>>
Tbh I've been burned by basically almost every fantasy show recently. None of them seem to be executed too well IMO. There are always flaws or some sort of warped aspect to the genre (stuck in a game, past/present, whatever) making it not true fantasy.

Hopes are high for Grimgar though. I'm ready to be burned again wooo!
>>
File: 2.jpg (287 KB, 782x1104) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
287 KB, 782x1104
Yes.

When the magical realm overtakes anything else in /tg and /a, Maou no Hajimekata shall be remembered as the precursor.

https://rapemanscans.wordpress.com/
>>
>>44086105
>Not using the End of the Boat Saga
Duuudeeee
>>
>>44087422

...wait I haven't been keeping up since Griffith got pimp slapped?

They got off the boat?!
>>
>>44086105
>Gate
>good
>>
File: H6hntVw.png (373 KB, 818x1189) Image search: [Google]
H6hntVw.png
373 KB, 818x1189
>>44087450
Yeah finally.
>>
>>44087384

I love this manga.
>>
>>44086105
I don't hate GATE. Rather I'm very disappointing with it.

Potentially very enjoyable concept and some solid funny dialogue, but with all potential pissed away because the writer can't keep his politics to himself or write anything more nuanced than a black and white parade of curbstomps while jerking off with an Imperial Japan battle flag.

I went in wanting to love it, I left partway through in sadness and disgust, it could have been so much more than what it was.
>>
File: GWhdnaI.jpg (188 KB, 652x850) Image search: [Google]
GWhdnaI.jpg
188 KB, 652x850
Well there's this.

Basically it's XCOM: Fantasy Edition. While you learn how to do shit like enchanting your tank or doing mad science shit, the enemies learns how to arm orcs with anti-tank weaponry.
>>
>>44087676
So it's like Grunts!, but not as good?
>>
>>44087588
>filename
whoever brought that to your attention has misinformed you. they were fighting their Chinese and Russian equivalents, mistaking them for the Japanese since they weren't expecting anyone else to be there.
>>
File: GATE in a nutshell.jpg (472 KB, 583x831) Image search: [Google]
GATE in a nutshell.jpg
472 KB, 583x831
>>44086105
>jap nationalism wankfest
>good

I mean it's an interesting concept, but the whole NIPPON STRONK really throws all the potential away
also, there is no conflict

UN Peacekeeping mission to Special Region when
>>
File: shirayukihime.png (519 KB, 500x726) Image search: [Google]
shirayukihime.png
519 KB, 500x726
Warhammer Fantasy blew up.
Game of Thrones is still going, and is now powering into the non-canon-zone at full speed.
A bunch of really shitty fantasy anime came out, including the further popularization of the monstergirl fad.

And I still haven't quite recovered from The Hobbit's lengthy rape that concluded last year.

But hey, a fantasy series I actually liked is getting two seasons and it was chill as fuck, not to mention someone picked up Dungeon Meshi properly. So I guess it wasn't all bad.
>>
>>44088245
Overlord didn't really have conflict, either, and people seem to enjoy it more than they should. Shit, MC of that is practically a god.
>>
If your only fantasy intake is anime and video games I genuinely feel sorry for you.
>>
File: one punch man.jpg (63 KB, 540x401) Image search: [Google]
one punch man.jpg
63 KB, 540x401
>Gate
>Not the only good anime to come out this year
>>
>>44088382
I'm 90% sure OpM isn't even fantasy. Unless you're actually greentexting right, in which case no. Gate is severely outclassed by quote a few anime that aired this year.
>>
>>44088414
Pretty sure superheroes are fantasy.
Unless you've been hiding something from us, XAVIER!
>>
>>44086239
>>44086370
>MMO shit
>good
>>
>>44088359
>Warhammer Fantasy blew up

Total War Warhammer is coming. It's going to be bigger than anything else before it.

Who gives a fuck that GW killed FB? FB was shit for years. Total War will revive the setting.
>>
Drifters is the only Jap fantasy I give a fuck about right now.
>>
>>44086105
>shit humor
>shitty le harem concept
>"Muh japan totally stronk" childish political veiws
>Muh fanne murder loli ;p
Its shit.
>>
>hm a hole opened up here leading to a new world
>new worlders say, lets invade for the king!
>japan easily wipes out a small army
>next afternoon
>everyone's like, whatever
>japan says "yeah, well you see, we decided this is a japanese colony or whatever, so we're going in and killing everyone we see"
>everyone's ok with this
I stopped after the second episode because it seemed so fucking dumb.
>>
>>44088382
OPM is love, OPM is life. Saitama is my spirit animal. Restored my faith that anime can be good again.
>>
>>44088094
Weren't they fighting japs at first though?
They got pulled out of the area later, before the real fighting started, but they were defending the site at first.
>>
>>44088482
8th being shit doesn't somehow make Fantasy's setting blowing up a good thing, mate. And until the (pretty cool looking) Total Warhammer is in my hands I'm not going to pronounce it as the second coming of christ. This is not my first time at the CA rodeo.
>>
>>44086105
It's obvious what you're trying, you wankstain.

The last fuckin' Gate shitfest thread was just yesterday. Cunt.
>>
>>44087588
>That pic
This isn't the writer inserting nationalist wankery. That fuck was confused about who he was fighting.
>>
>>44086370

The second season was considerable weaker than the first. Not terrible by any standard but it had it's problems.
>>
>>44089021
It's not even remotely plasuible for you that if a portal suddenly opened and demons/mythical creatures invaded, you'd send people into it to try to see if they could stop it at the source?

And are you seriously implying every nation in the world wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get a whole world of resources?

The whole nippon stronk thing is a bit much I agree,but those reasons are just retarded.

Anyways OPM is this years salvation
>>
>>44088094
>>44089156
That's great and all, but it is portraying the other countries as a bunch of moronic bumblefucks while constantly praising it's own forces at every moment.

You think some kind of special ops operation wouldn't notice that multiple parties are trying to go for the same target?
>>
>>44086105
Yes I too love overly generic self insert power fantasies written by deluded far right nationalist otaku
>>
>>44086105
Anon, you must be lost on your way to /a/, only its denizens have shit taste as atrocious as yours.
>>
>>44088623
Drifters is bad. Enjoyable, but bad.
>>
>>44086341
>modern/fantasy clash
This pretty much. A shame it looks to be kinda shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWKjGbY7rVY
>>
>>44089492
>That's great and all, but it is portraying the other countries as a bunch of moronic bumblefucks while constantly praising it's own forces at every moment.
agreed

>You think some kind of special ops operation wouldn't notice that multiple parties are trying to go for the same target?
They did, then they killed each other. But really the other teams were special/covert forces as well so they'd naturally be more difficult to detect. Unless you're one of those folks who thinks NOTHING gets pass Superior American Intelligence.
>>
>>44091564
Well apparently nothing gets past Superior Nippon Intelligence either, because they knew every single movement
>>
>>44088464
>the adventurers of a 3.5 epic lich and his goons in an E12 campaign
>not good
>>
>>44091821
Home ground surveillance on a 10 meter wide gate sounds simple enough to do, it's a surprise the infiltrators got pass the gate at all. But I already agree that the author always portrays japan as superior in action.
>>
>>44092008
wut

The spec ops teams didn't reach the gate, they where trying to extract the people in the resort
>>
>>44092497
Oh? That's what happens when I don't watch the show. I just watched the scene of Rory killing soldiers, just to see some earthlings get killed, even if they're not the JSDF. That and the first few chapters till the trial in Japan in the manga is all I know of Gate. Should have dropped it earlier.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.