[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2015 >Not playing with aerodynamic dice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: aerodynamics.jpg (24 KB, 456x640) Image search: [Google]
aerodynamics.jpg
24 KB, 456x640
>2015
>Not playing with aerodynamic dice
>>
A problem with all of these aerodynamic diagrams is they fail to include a part labeled "nobody knows exactly what happens in this area, but it makes the thing go up".
>>
>>44084921
Why would a diagram about aerodynamics need something about lift?
>>
>>44084921
Because those parts don't exist?

Bernoulli's principle is simple, strait forward, and pretty well known
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle
>>
>>44084958
Came here to do that. Instead, I will note that eddies such as those caused by the flat surfaces in >>44084891 increase randomness, thus making the dice better for their purpose.

Not that the low quality of the vast majority of dice causing imbalance issues wont totally offset any such randomness, though.
>>
>>44084921
Are you referencing that one xkcd comic?
>>
>>44085185
VISIT WWW SMUGSTICKFIGURES DOT COM FOR MORE INFORMATION
>>
>>44084891
>Eddies in the space/time continuum
>How'd he get in there?
>>
>>44084958
Why can planes fly upside down? Shouldn't bernoulli's principle push then straight down?
>>
>>44085803
They don't stay upside down, and they never go upwards in elevation upside down; they just do tricks upside down while moving horizontally (and slightly downward most of the time too).
>>
>>44085803
It's temporary. Even helicopters can do loops if sufficiently powerful enough
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCBouBQJok

They can fly and even climb upside down. It's less efficient, but they can absolutely do it.
>>
>>44086680
yeah and negative lift on the wings is overcome by it being strapped to a what is effectively a fucking ROCKET
>>
>>44084891
but dice don't need to be aerodymanic they just need to be balanced sure the wind might fuck with them a little but getting the dice balanced while working around that is going to be hell.
>>
>>44084921

There's a penis joke in here somewhere but I can't find it.
>>
>>44085803
>>44085886
>>44086055
Go look up Angle of Attack. It's possible to produce lift when your airfoil is upside down, it just tends to produce massive drag.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.