[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I get why a lion and a dragon might be combined, but why a goat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: Chimera.jpg (158 KB, 1200x905) Image search: [Google]
Chimera.jpg
158 KB, 1200x905
I get why a lion and a dragon might be combined, but why a goat? I know goats are dangerous, but they're nothing like lions or dragons.
>>
>>44084064
>dragon

thats not a chimera

chimeras have snakes
>>
>>44084064
Then why isn't satan a lion or a dragon.

The prince of darkness is a goat, anon.
Goats are fucking metal, with their curly corns, and their cloven feet, and their weird square eyes.
>>
>>44084064
Traditionally, the goat would be on the back of the Chimera, where it could launch its horns at enemies like missiles.
>>
You're giving me dragon's dogma flashbacks OP

SLAYING THE GOAT WILL SEAL IT'S MAGIC
>>
This is why Manticore are way more bad ass.
>>
>>44084089
Do you read the bible? He is depicted as a lion and as a serpent
>>
>>44084064
Survivability.

Goats can eat pretty much goddamned anything, very handy for an apex super-predator when the prey population starts waning. It can just eat trees, rocks, tin cans, whatever until the prey population replenishes itself enough.
>>
>>44084234
Satan is not depicted as a lion. Lions have either a holy or neutral connotation in the bible, but never an unholy one.

The animals of Satan are toads, locusts, snakes, goats, and bulls.
>>
>>44084064
Have you ever looked a goat in the eye?
Or heard one scream?
>>
On the original chimera, the purpose of the goat is to watch for attacks from above.

It wasn't very good at it.
>>
File: Goat.jpg (98 KB, 682x400) Image search: [Google]
Goat.jpg
98 KB, 682x400
>>44084064
>>
>>44084064
Clearly you've never been kicked by a goat.

It hurts. Trust me on this.
>>
>>44084064
Well, let's think about this logically. We're all sensible wizards here.

A dragon by its very nature is a phenomenally magical creature. They need to be, to sustain their great bulk and fly for extended periods. Yes, there are some that merely glide, but for the most part those have more in common with mountain wyverns than True drakes.

So, as any transmuter worth his lead knows, a transformation is no use if it will revert in short order. Yes, you may create a fantastically powerful creature from the magical recombination of demon, elemental and dragon into one gestalt entity, but the effort involved in making this ridiculous creature retain the combined form you dictate for it would soon become prohibitive.

The key, then, is to make sure any combination has balance - a certain stability to its composition, and this is where we lead back into the subject of the chimeric creature presented to our association above.

While a dragon is serpentine, supremely magical and majestic, a goat is none of these things. They are common, mammalian, mundane and forgettable. This makes them the perfect anchor for such spells. Take note, however, novices - you should not dismiss the bite of a goat, or be lax in securing the best prior to the rituals. While not nearly as much effort to contain as the Dragon or even the Lion, they can still give you a nasty kicking, and if they get into your library you can lose months, or even decades of research to their voracious appetites.
>>
>>44084172
IT HATES FIRE
>>
>>44084463
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"
>>
>>44084463

1st Peter nigga, do you even chapter 5 verse 8?
>>
File: MICHAEL BAY!.jpg (12 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
MICHAEL BAY!.jpg
12 KB, 212x238
>>44084313
There's also the fact that goats are fucking indestructible.

Their bodies might end up horrifically contorted from a given incident, but they shrug it off pretty quick.
>>
>>44084089
>or a dragon.
"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
>>
When they made them without the goat, they tended to get killed by trolls.
>>
>>44084089
>>44084796
>>44084878
So, he's a lion and a dragon. Does the bible ever actually depict him as a goat?
>>
>>44084942
Not directly, no.
>>
>>44085004
Does it ever do so indirectly, or is the goat imagery all from Pan?
>>
>>44085028
Well, goat idols were mentioned, and scapegoats were a thing.

There was also this bit starting in Matthew 25:32 where goats represented people who were being excluded from heaven for being mean to the unfortunate.
>>
>>44084788
>>44084172
WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS ARISEN
>>
>>44084942

Maybe not, but you can't tell me this bad motherfucker doesn't look fuckin' rad

fuck yeah

goats
>>
>>44084079
A chimera is any creature made out of two or more other creatures.
Lion front half, goat back half, dragon wings and the head of each of them?
Chimera.
Lion front, goat back, the heads of both and a tail that is a snake?
Chimera
Front half of some sort of bird, back half of a lion?
Chimera.
Duck bill, beaver tail, otter feet?
Chimera.
Chimera has a very broad definition.
>>
>>44087649
Maybe now it means this, after the term chimera passed from "specific greek monster" to "kitbash of animals in one body".
The original article, though, is nothing but Lion head and front legs, Goat head and hind legs, and a Snake serving as the tail. Wings not included, but assumed to be there since why would you need Pegasus to reach the damn thing otherwise? he fact is, originally there was only one chimera, and one pegasus, instead of them being magical monster races.
>>
>>44087649
Isn't that last one just a platypus?
>>
>>44087892
Never played Etrian Odyssey 3, eh? Platypuses are damn vicious.
>>
>>44085028

I'm pretty sure the goat imagery might have something to do with Moloch
>>
>>44087926
No but I hear they have a venomous barb on one of their legs. If they can use it, I can see them being dangerous cunts.

And either way, they're australian so they must be up for a scrap.
>>
>>44087341

...He does look fuckin' rad.
>>
>>44087955
Platypus spurs are only poisonous on males and only secrete during their breeding season. They mostly use them against each other, the male who gets stabbed first is usually in too much pain to attempt reproduction.

Humans are only really at risk of being envenomed by one through mishandling, because they don't really make an active effort to jab you with it as it is in a very inconvenient position to do so, and they generally just try to wriggle away. It does hurt a LOT apparently, though the pain may be a result of the envenomed limb causing swelling rather than a chemical intolerance.

The venom entering a human body is nearly identical to and derived from a chemical already created by the immune system of many animals (including humans) called defensin, which can trigger fluid swelling in the limb to the point of causing serious pain and temporary paralysis. So you're really just getting a large dose foreign version of a chemical you already sort of produce and your body is responding in the same way as if it released that dosage of defensin itself.

It isn't lethal to humans, though it will kill dogs (or certain breeds of dogs it is unclear).
>>
File: 1374164200731.jpg (55 KB, 295x369) Image search: [Google]
1374164200731.jpg
55 KB, 295x369
I think it's for multiple purposes. First off, if this chimera is to break down a wall which cannot be burned, having the sturdy skull of a goat might prove useful. Secondly, the goat presumably also bestows herbivorean qualities to the chimera, giving it something close to an omnivorean diet, which might prove useful if there ever is a meat shortage. I assume you can also cut the horns off the goat, and use them for weaponry as well
>>
>>44084926
Underrated, but gruff, post
>>
>>44087649
>Duck bill, beaver tail, otter feet?
>Chimera.
But...what if we give it poison too?
>>
>>44088231
On the feet so people don't expect it?
Telsons are overrated anyway
>>
>>44084064
so you want a dragon guardian, but you're not powerful enough to tame/ deal with one.

you go for the next best thing wich is to stole an dragon egg, use foul magic to mix it with animals.

you use the goat head to confuse the dragon head, like the cores for GlaDos in portal 2. and the lion head to override both with aggressive instinct (it comes with the body anyway so why not use it).

now you have a easily tamable beast that fly, breath fire and is terrifying.

chimera are the poor man dragon.
>>
>>44084064
Why not those, I dont remember the name, they look like ducks, but have that red thing on their faces, they are like, super agressive and scary.
They can bite a persons finger of with ease that would make the proudest samurai shiver with fear.
>>
>>44084079
You trying to make the male wizard/female witch thread all over again, anon?

>>44084771
God, I hate goats, I used to go to a girl house and they had a goat, everytime I would go outside by myself the damn thing would headbutt me, but only if I wasnt looking. Hate that thing. Not enough to kill it though, but buy, was that thing pushing it.
>>
>>44087341
Go back to bed, Satan.
>>
>>44088802
wheres my scorpion/wyvern tail?
>>
>>44089040
that the beauty of chimera, it's pretty modular! beware of extra head tough, more than three and it become really dumb (if you really have to add head, go straight to five, to avoid stalemate).

and don't go crazy on accessory, too. Adding horn and spike everywhere look cool but it's make the chimera more likely to hurt itself than someone else. keep to one tail too, using it efficiently ask for concentration and the poor thing already not the brightest thing. I remember seeing an eleven tailed chimera once. that pathetic beast had tail knot after few second of fight. got two head cut by the time it figured out what happened.
>>
File: A most foul creature.jpg (101 KB, 496x368) Image search: [Google]
A most foul creature.jpg
101 KB, 496x368
>>44089189
I tend to stick to two creatures, it's just much less of a hassle
>>
>>44084942
>When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
Goats symbolize those who don't follow god's word. Making satan some kind of arch-goat makes sense.
>>
>>44084601
WHY
>>
>>44084601
Holy shit, goat simulator was right after all.
>>
File: Goat.jpg (89 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Goat.jpg
89 KB, 900x600
>>44089767
ITT: Christians, by the biblical definition, are sheep. Goats don't give a shit, come to the fun side of life friends
>>
>>44089017
Turkeys?
>>
>>44089784
Tasty rock. I think there's salt on it or something.

That or goats are bonkers.
>>
>>44084064
You've obviously never fought a goat in mortal combat before. They eat metal for fun and nutrients, head butt car doors causing body damage and possibly frame damage with impunity, and run entirely on grass. Lets see you try any one of those and come out alive.
>>
>>44089799
Goats are also famously randy and aggressive bastards.
They really are wonderful creatures.
>>
>>44089799
>Christians, by the biblical definition, are sheep
Of course. This is why Jesus is a "good shepherd" and all that.
>>
>>44084463
Wait. I thought god sent the locusts and toads to egypt.....
>>
File: 1414919459_goat_twisting_neck.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1414919459_goat_twisting_neck.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>44084064
Because goats are fucking evil.
>>
>>44084878
The problem with that one was an allegory to crocodiles or alligators (i forget which one) which other religions revered as gods or used them as the image of god. It was christianities way of giving those religions the middle finger writing in lore that there favorite deity was cast down by a better, greater deity.
>>
>>44089864
Crocodiles. And it wasn't christians but jews who wanted to make YHWH an uber-badass and made him kill a giant sea serpent Leviathan.
>>
>>44089799
Those eyes are fucking horrifying.
>>
>>44089799
Yes, because as pastoral people the imagery of a shepherd lovingly tending his flock resonated with the first Christians. Nice fedora though.
>>
>>44084064
>dragon head breathes fire
>sets the lion head's mane on fire

In IRL reasons, it probably because goats have become associated with Christianity's Satan, and that probably because goats were present in pagan mythology like Pan.
>>
>>44089885
Christians, jews, muslims. Same schwarma different vendor.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 650x366
>>44089957
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.