[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 13
File: 217.png (27 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
217.png
27 KB, 300x100
why?
>>
Because fuck elves! That's why.
>>
I like elves.
>>
>>44082151

You are the Chaos.
>>
>>44082099
Elves are faggots
>>
>>44082099
memes
>>
>>44082099
Why the image?

It's a mix from Sim city 2000 advisors and king of dragon pass. In KODP, elves are fuckers that are up to no good. Fuck them. And fuck the ducks too.
>>
Elves are a shit tier race and should be sent to work camps. Effeminate pussies, all of them.
>>
OK
>>
Are there any more /tg/ banners?
>>
>>44083587
We're not very banner-worthy apparently.
>>
>>44083587
Dunno. Let me look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/4chan/comments/2fynzl/all_4chan_banners_ever_part_1/
>>
File: cXjNtB6.jpg (14 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
cXjNtB6.jpg
14 KB, 300x100
>>44083754
Found one!
>>
I find elf-hate to be perfectly acceptable in The Elder Scrolls, but it gets kind of annoying outside of that. LOTR elves are pretty okay, and what little I know about D&D elves isn't too negative.
>>
File: 1230473478198.jpg (27 KB, 275x142) Image search: [Google]
1230473478198.jpg
27 KB, 275x142
>>44082099
>>
File: 1439159656672.png (938 KB, 1280x1700) Image search: [Google]
1439159656672.png
938 KB, 1280x1700
>>44083849
Honestly, I consider it the reverse. TES has the dunmer, the most acceptable elves I've ever met, and the bosmer are pretty okay. Even the altmer have had their moments, despite generally being cocks.

LOTR elves are great people, Sword of Shannara elves are cool, but every derivative of that or D&D has elves as stuck up snobs, isolationists, and just general offhanded jerks who could be evil with just a little bit of twisting. A fairly large part of their lore in most settings that has drow is explaining how years ago, the whole elven race faced some risk of corruption or nearly turned to evil entirely.
>>
>>44082124
That is the dream.
>>
File: Pelinal Whitestrake.png (278 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
Pelinal Whitestrake.png
278 KB, 900x1165
>>44083974
Fair enough about D&D. I -may- be finally joining a group this Christmas break, but outside of my bootlegged copy of the Player's Handbook I know little about the setting.

>TES Elves

I'll grant you that Dunmer are somewhat okay thanks to lots of great individuals, but their culture is awful on so many levels. I still maintain that their current terrible situation is the gods punishing them.

I hate Bosmer more than Altmer, frankly. With the one exception of that spy dude in Skyrim, every Bosmer character I can think of I wanted to kill.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 178x226) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 178x226
>>44084709
>>
File: 1435652799990.jpg (89 KB, 414x750) Image search: [Google]
1435652799990.jpg
89 KB, 414x750
>>44084709
To be honest, I've rarely played in a game of D&D that actually uses a canon setting. But overall elves are stereotyped as snobs and suchlike, usually played straight out of the book.

The dunmer mostly are great because they're so fallible. They actually manage cool things, and you know they'll win in the end, which helps prevent the fact that they keep getting kicked while they're down as of Skyrim a bit more bearable. The fact that they're different from the standard elf also gets some respect. The bosmer just never really annoyed me - I know I should be annoyed, but I'm not. I'd rather get pissy about Moria from Fallout 3.
>>
File: remove elf.jpg (34 KB, 360x515) Image search: [Google]
remove elf.jpg
34 KB, 360x515
They're all stuck-up assholes, that's why.
>>
>>44085113
>MFW

>>44085589
>you know they'll win in the end

Anon, I enjoy Kirkbride's weirdness as much as anyone, but I'm pretty sure his weird Dark Elf fetish isn't canon.

I will say Dunmer don't annoy me like Bosmer and Altmer do. They're a terrible people with a horrid culture, but you're right, at least they're complex and interesting.
>>
>>44082099
Because most of /tg/ are made up of manlets/womanlets who resemble dwarves: short, stout, smelly, hairy, and covered in grime. Elves are their antithesis.
>>
>>44082099
because /tg/ memes are just so fukken epic, dude

guaranteed reddit karma golds every time
>>
>>44085787
>at least they're complex and interesting
Because they were the focus of the only hallway-competently written game in the series.
>>
>>44085921
halfway-competently
>>
>>44085722
What is that from?
>>
>>44082099
Because its always the elves being raped and taken advantage of. I want to be raped and taken advantage off too.
>>
>>44085921
The writing is fantastic, but I was so spoiled by Oblivion's gameplay that I can't enjoy Morrowind as a game.

>You know what, I'm gonna finally finish this
>Boot up Morrowind
>Lemme see, where was that quest objective
>Oh. I got lost and I'm halfway across Vvardenfell.
>Oh well, might as well grind Blade and Block
>STOP MISSING, SWORD
>Divines help me, I need to heal
>WHY DID MY SPELL NOT WORK
>Whew, survived. Now I just have survive the trek to whatever gods-forsaken city is nearest and hope to Talos they have a Silt Strider.

Basically I kind of dread starting up the game simply because everything is such a grind. No fast travel would be more tolerable if I could move at a halfway decent pace without draining my stamina, and it pisses me off that my spells will more likely than not fail to do anything whatsoever.
>>
>>44086120
>not being able to jump across vardenfell
>being this much of a pleb
>>
>>44083974
>dunmer
Seriously? The dunmer are even worse than the drow they're based off of. At least the drow have the excuse of being dependent on Lolth. The dunmer on the other hand are just assholes who act all smug about "muh superior velothi culture", which basically boils down to stabing eachother in the dick and squatting in an ashen wasteland that no one else even wants to live in. One of the big over-arching themes in tES III was that all in all none of the sides were really worth fighting for.
>>
File: 1445482205292.png (25 KB, 270x339) Image search: [Google]
1445482205292.png
25 KB, 270x339
>>44082099
Insecurities.
>>
>>44087242
More like I'm trying to remove any competition. If there are no better options now I am the best option.
>>
>>44083849
>but it gets kind of annoying outside of that
Depends on the setting, LoTR styled ones with good elves is dumb.

Then you have settings with shit like Anima's, Dragonpass', TES', etc...
>>
>>44087129
The Dunmer have the excuse of being dependent on the Tribunal and the Anticipations.
>>
File: morgoth vs fingolfin.jpg (283 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
morgoth vs fingolfin.jpg
283 KB, 1280x1024
There's only one good elf, Feanor can get fucked
>>
File: New Player Races.png (36 KB, 804x530) Image search: [Google]
New Player Races.png
36 KB, 804x530
>>44082099
I guess I'll actually try to answer because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I think the animosity toward elves comes from two things.

First, elves have become the de facto special snowflake species in most of fantasy. This started with Tolkien and has been continued and encouraged by Dungeons and Dragons, and a bunch of derivative fantasy authors. Elves fall into a sweet spot, similar to vampires, where they can be nominally "different" and "alien", but still look exactly the same as humans, only more perfect and beautiful. This appeals to a lot of people, especially younger people who are alienated and/or insecure about their appearance or social status, which is a huge percentage of people within the gaming hobby. Many others, though, react negatively to them for that same reason. Some might just be burned out on elves, since their popularity means they are very over exposed. Others dislike the fact that elves are portrayed as such flawless and superior creatures, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way. And some people, as they get older, look back on their own obsession with elves from their younger days and just have a guilty aftertaste, the same way you might be embarrassed you ever liked a band that you now think is terrible.

The second reason is not really that people hate elves, but that they hate the people who play elves. Because they are such natural Mary Sue archetypes, there are a lot of really insecure and obnoxious people who play elves in games, and have a huge boner for them. When you repeatedly see elves played by these types of people, you correlate the two, and just start to hate them equally. I know that for me, I spent years around the most self important social retards, who would use them as glorified self inserts and conduits for their personal fan fiction. Eventually, I started to see elves as inexorably linked to the worst of their fans, and I think that happens to a lot of us.
>>
>>44087631
1) The Tribunal ARE the Anticipations. You mean the "good" daedra.
2) No, they aren't. While a lot of velothi culture reflects their worship of the "good" daedra, the dunmer are not dependent on that culture to survive.
>>
>>44087850
>1) The Tribunal ARE the Anticipations. You mean the "good" daedra.
The good daedra are the Anticipations of the Tribunal.
>>
>>44087284
that's psycho lover murder-suicide logic, anon. Do you really want to be the yandere?
>>
>>44087901
I am a Yan. This is not news to me.

We even have our own dating site now.
http://www.yandere.org/
>>
>>44086120
Seriously get some mods, I basically consider the good ones as patches.
>>
>>44082099
Im playing a naga barbarian who kills elves on sight. My party has to bluff and diplomacy roll so many times in a town, its not even funny.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.