[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to think of a devious trap, that the obvious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: traps1.jpg (39 KB, 576x249) Image search: [Google]
traps1.jpg
39 KB, 576x249
I'm trying to think of a devious trap, that the obvious solution to escape from would involve the player basically sacrificing their entire group. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>44079155
Jigsaw trap.
'Nuff said.
>>
File: Grimtooth's Traps.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grimtooth's Traps.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44079155
go read this. If you don't come out with at least one devious idea I will eat my shoes
>>
>>44079265
alternatively drop them in just about any room in the tomb of horrors with the caveat of "rub this magic amulet to move one room closer to the exit but it kills the person who rubs it"
>>
>>44079155
Read back issues of Knights Of The Dinner Table. Even if you don't like the story comics, the second half of the issues are always filled with traps,magic items, roleplay advice, and product reviews.
>>
File: 1449516296116.png (367 KB, 641x553) Image search: [Google]
1449516296116.png
367 KB, 641x553
>>44079155
Lock them in a room.
Their captor threatens them and tells them that the first one to accept going out of the room gets to live, while the rest will die.
Watch your players run for the exit.

Alternatively you can make a hidden vote thing. If all your players accept staying in the cell: They all get to leave. If at least one person wants to leave in his vote, he leaves the cell while the rest will die. If everyone want to leave, they all die.

How much do your player trust each other?
>>
The thing is these traps are completely certain death, I'm looking to make it so the players have to be very clever.
>>
I had a tile floor trap once where the only way to find the right tiles was to put someone's head in this thing and kill them. The trick was to use a spell that let's someone turn back time one turn.
>>
File: 1434070041546.jpg (39 KB, 638x469) Image search: [Google]
1434070041546.jpg
39 KB, 638x469
>mfw reading all this "players have to do this very specific arbitrary thing that I decide and if they don't they automatically die aren't I so clever with the mind games?" horse shit

Shit GMs : The Thread.
>>
>>44079155
The only way out is to make a Flesh Golem and there's no spare flesh around.
>>
>>44079155
Tell them to marry each other and wait a few decades.
>>
File: water trap.png (39 KB, 1505x1457) Image search: [Google]
water trap.png
39 KB, 1505x1457
>>44079155

The easiest trap to make like this would be a rising water trap. The party would scramble up the obvious ladder/stairway up high and far to escape the rising water, but when they get to the top they realize there is nothing up there and now they are stuck on a high area. Swimming back down through all the water below would be very difficult.

Here's a shitty mockup I made in paint to show what I mean.
>>
>>44079155
Guys OP said "devious" not "diabolical". Here's what you do OP. Carefully craft a trap such that the easiest and most apparent solution is for players to do the heroic "go on without me" to hold off whatever is the danger (i.e. hold down a button, block a corridor, hold the rope bridge tight, etc). The trick is that, as you asked for, while the most readily apparent solution is the sacrificial lamb, there still needs to be a method that doesn't involve imminent death.
>>
Rock fall everyone dies
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.