[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What got you into role playing games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 540x855) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 540x855
What got you into role playing games?
>>
When I was a toddler, my uncle would run AD&D for his friends, with me in my highchair at the foot of the table.

When I was three years old, I made my first character. He was named Spinehead (after his most notable anatomical feature), and he could shoot his spines at monsters and bad guys.
>>
File: building an erp setting.gif (2 MB, 287x210) Image search: [Google]
building an erp setting.gif
2 MB, 287x210
>>44074033
As awful as this sounds...

ERP

Then I realized how retarded ERP was but still liked the RP aspect of it and did some non-ERP games online.

Then I realized online games suck ass and have major issues with people not showing up (Skype) or posting frequently (forum RPs) so I started bugging my friends to do IRL games.
>>
That's a pretty fucking great pic.
Got any more?

Personally, I started Roleplaying games after inventing a set of rules for my make-believe games as a kid with little plastic toys. Than I heard that that kind of game had already been invented - and that's how I came to buying GURPS.
and made millions fo shitty homebrews and campaigns that almost no-one would even think of playing nowadays
>>
My friend, Trevor.

I always thought D&D was gay but he implored me to try it, and when I showed up he was sitting in a recliner with a glass of brandy smoking a big cigar like a Bond villain.
>>
>>44074033
>What got you into role playing games?
some guys on school starter to talk about rpg at 2000, they are from the same grade but not my class
had 16 years old and didnt knew rpg
few days pass, some bookseller go to school to sell books, I enter the place he is selling books and see there are rpgs too
I call the guys that were involved with rpg to see that, and others not involved with rpg go to.
My brother and his friends decide to buy some books and also the guys from my class.
My brothers and his friends buy Werewolf: The Apocalypse, some book about templars for a universal rpg and the d&d 3 core books.
>>
>>44074033

My parents, but more dad rather than mum. I'd ask him to tell me stories and he'd relate them. I also had easy access to most of the 1e and 2e AD&D line, so there was that.

Funnily enough the first actual game I ran was one I made up using a simple D6 dice pool system back in '07. Several years later the group of friends I'd suggested trying out rpgs (with one of the guys from earlier) tried to run Call of Cthulhu....we all learnt that wasn't the best start and ended up playing 3.5. That was about...4, maybe 5 years ago.
That group didn't do that much, since we all had a limited schedule, but I did GM for another group using the Fallout PnP rules and that turned into a regular group, branching into 3.5 when we grew tired of Fallout and giving me a chance to play instead of GM. Thinking about it, we kinda started around the same time as the other group and we've still been meeting up since then.

But yeah, family got me into gaming.
>>
My dad kinda. He played D&D in the seventies when he was a teenager and later became an early gamer. He then introduced me to the Baldur's Gate games as a kid. From there I got into actual P&P roleplaying.
>>
>>44074033
I'm not into roleplaying games. Always been into it, I like forum based RPs and RPG computer games, just never been around any group of people that play PnP.
>>
Some faggot DM accidentally texted the wrong number, me, asking his friend if he would play. I decided to show up and I got raped at the first session by the DM.
>>
>>44074086
Same for me, fuck the shame.

Now I'm curious, what kind of ERP?
>>
>>44074033
/tg/ did, and I've still never played a published one.
>>
>>44074293
The kind where nothing in a dungeon was actually deadly if you were a female character, just really really "pent up". Losses in combat didn't end with death so much as... well, use your imagination.

I was young and stupid and horny back then, and eventually I started to realize how much better the stories would be if the fetish stuff wasn't crammed into it as the main point of it all.
>>
My first real roleplaying experience was joining a D&D game at a local wargames club, but I recently found some old cassette tapes of my father, my brother and I telling stories together when we were really tiny.

We had a dinky little cassette player with a crappy microphone, and my dad told us these dumb, simple stories that my brother and I filled with references to our favourite TV shows, but... Listening to a few of them, I realized that was the first time I'd ever experienced the joy of creating a story for myself, and of working with someone else to do so. My dad never had a chance to get into tabletops, and my younger brother is more into board games, but when I sit down to pay a TTRPG now, I always remember those dumb, silly stories I told when I was tiny, because gaming today still gives me some of that same feeling. It's nice.
>>
File: Depression.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Depression.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
>>44074033
I stuck up for a kid in middle school that everyone thought was a huge loser. He became kind of attached to me as his only friend and kept trying to pester me into play D&D with him and one day I relented. He was a decent enough DM for my brother and myself but we immediately saw that the game had way more potential than the way he used it. So we immediately began DMing for each other and our circle of friends, learning from each other and our friends and always improving until I moved away to go to college and both of us became forever DMs from that day on... One day maybe we will reunite and GM for each other, showing all we have learned with our new groups.

I regret not keeping closer ties with the guy who introduced us. He also introduced me to Mageknight, Video Games, and Magic: the Gathering, things I had never had experiences with before (my family was extremely poor growing up while his was quite well-off). In retrospect he was just an only child with a serious case of ADHD and very little social tact and because he never really had any friends he never developed any. He really was quite a nice guy though. If I were less shitty as a little kid I could have been a better friend to him but I eventually just got embarrassed by his presence and stopped hanging out with him in favor of my 'cooler' friends. I did introduce him to his first girlfriend but that ended up just being a heartbreak for her. He eventually had a psychotic break and never finished high school. He was doing better last I heard but I still feel a vague sense of responsibility for the terrible shit he went through.
>>
>>44074033
Guy i befriended at church summer camp. Taught me Magic and Midgard. My life finally had a purpose.
>>
>>44074350
Fuck, I had no idea shit like that existed at all. What sort of format?
>>
I used to free form RP back on a forum when I was like.... 12-14? Anyway the friends I made back then drifted apart and eventually I got asked to join a game of D&D in highschool because they knew I role played online. I was not a fan at first, I found the game to rules heavy and silly for my taste, but eventually join a more "serious" game and fell in love. At this point im forever DM because no one else I know who likes the types of games I like is capable of running them.
>>
>>44074407
Generally play-by-post... on a hentai/fanfiction forum (which I will not be linking here, so don't ask). Did a couple of Skype games too, but text-only, no mic or camera.

Also... you had no idea this stuff existed? I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be 18 to be on 4chan, lol.
>>
>>44074066
Replace "uncle" with step-dad, and Spinehead with a Dwarf Fighter.

That's me.
>>
>>44074459
Ah okay, i've done plenty of forum RPs like that, many descended into ERP. I guess I just never knew there were communities that combined ERP with fucking dungeon crawling of all things. You learn something new every day.

I was basically groomed as a child by furries on roleplaying forums into all kinds of ERP, disgusted thinking back on it, but it gave me a taste for RP and I haven't looked back.
>>
I have the most autistic story about how i got into D&D

>Find 4chan in 2011
>Amuse myself as I go through /mlp/ and laugh at the autism
>This goes on for a few years
>See some sort of townbuilding thing come up after playing basically pony RISK
>Decide to see what its about
>Have fun RPing and go on a few quests with dice
>See some other thread
>Bunch of Innawads pics
>Join up at some point
>They actually make a adventure thing
>Have fun with the dice there
>Fall out of it during purges
>2 years pass
>Somehow the DM joins the channel I was in to try and explain how his group of players wasnt involved in a raid on another thread
>Reconnect and find they are still going
>Rejoin up with them
>Play a few threads of games
>Hit a hiatus
>One of the players asks if we are interested in D&D
>Enough people show interest and the group starts up
>Play a rogue
>Throw plague bombs for fun and streal all the loot from chests because im the only one who can lockpick them
>Eventually have that char leave after stealing half the partie's salaries from a quest
>Bring in a bard that basically is a tank due to racials and rolling
>Nearly dies one second after introduction to a crit

Needless to say that I had lots of fun, I had grown up with my mother telling me D&D was for basement dwelling nerds and if I played I wouldn't get anywhere in life. Im going to become a pilot soon btw.
>>
>>44074590
>going to /mlp/
noice, but are you sure it's only to laugh at it ? the ride never ends after all...
>>
We were doing a total clean of our house in the early 2000's (I must have been in 9th grade or so) and found a binder in the corner of my dad's closet. It had (among other things) a copy of the Monster Manual from the 2nd Edition. With a bit of research, I discovered what Dungeons and Dragons was and wanted to play badly after that. It wasn't until this year I finally got fed up and bought all the books and DM'd a game.
>>
>>44074033
My roomates.
We were three in a big duplex and we wanted two more. They were both GM on DD 3.5 and we did theater before so we jumped right in
>>
/tg/ several years ago (2009?)

However I have yet to be in any actual games, including threads here. I just read and feel bad about myself because I am emotionally stable.
>>
>>44074033
There was a TA in my secondary school who ran what essentially amounted to Pathfinder without any rolls for the kids. I found it pretty fun, and a few years later found a proper group, and it went from there.
>>
File: le-donjon-de-naheulbeuk.jpg (328 KB, 929x1525) Image search: [Google]
le-donjon-de-naheulbeuk.jpg
328 KB, 929x1525
>Fucking spam detection, I'll cut it in half:

For me it's this series (some french thing, it's basically a parody of Role playing games in general in MP3 files, not sure that you have an english equivalent).
I grow to like it a lot, to the point of reading books that expands the setting a little.
I end up learning that the guy who is making it is going to expand it to a full roleplaying game, with races and class and everything. I play it with my brother and a neighbor at first, I GM while having a puppet that follows the group just because I needed to roll the dice myself to kill some orcs from time to time. It's funny, but still shit because my brother is the typical angsty guy and my neighbor is derailing everything.
A few years later, in college, I start playing with friends that are into it as well. Have some fun, I still have a puppet but I try to make something of it. I decide to read a little online about other player's experiences in order to better GM, and end up reading a shitton of these on the game's website. Sadly, the game comes to it's end when it's starting to really become interesting, friends and I have much less time to play now.

1/1
>>
>>44074033
Around 2009, I used to cyber on some Facebook game after a 'girl' explained to me how to do it, and we would play out our fantasies together all over. Very awkward as I eventually became too thirsty and girls would teleport to my location and find me

After that I found Byond and played MH, which was a game with heavy emphasis on roleplaying. From there I followed my friend to a strange game with just words; it was free form roleplaying. Yes I'm scum. Did that for a couple of years, stopped after my XCOM style RP fell through because everyone wanted to be a badass. I didn't know TTRPGs were even a thing aside from having heard of DnD. Funny because the XCOM RP I ran almost like a DM; groups of six, each with a class, they're sent on a mission to handle an event, which I came up with, sometimes my admins ran missions and people would roleplay at base which typically devolved to sex, which I used to have every log of

It was frustrating because I wanted stats like XCOM but all my friends and I didn't know how to implement it so I said fuck it. After that I found 4chan through /vp/ nothing interesting until one of those winter balls, the invitation was by /tg/. Curious as to see what the fuck was a traditional game, I started browsing here.

Now I run games for my more normal friends at work, usually I do the gurps zombies or basic Fantasy, I'm excited because soon I want to run a Fallout rpg. Shits fun, wish I'd learned about all this sooner instead of finding it out just so recently
>>
This real weird kid I played Space Risk with in college, he wanted to run a GURPS campaign (which never took off because he couldn't organize character creation). Then my brother started talking about D&D so I came here to learn more about it and now I'm stuck.

This all started like 6 months ago.
>>
>>44074033
Video games, stories, and my love of fiction and fantasy. I'm way more open, but all I've played is 5e...however I did meet an anon who's gonna teach my Pathfinder and play with me maybe.
>>
File: 1.png (92 KB, 650x397) Image search: [Google]
1.png
92 KB, 650x397
>>44075629
Wtf is wrong with the spam detection here ?
But anyway, here's part two since I couldn't post it
>>
>>44074033
I went onto 4chan for /d/.

One time after fapping I clicked some of the other boards to see what they're all about. One of those was /tg/.
>>
>>44076008
your alternate spelling of 4chan set it off since that was a spam site keyword forever
>>
>>44074086
>>44074350
Wow, that's super fucking embarrassing.

You should be glad you're anonymous.
>>
I think I got introduced to the concept by an old friend of the family who offered to GM ADnD2e at the time. That never got off the ground, but it sparked an interest. The first actual game I was in was a 3.5e forum game that never really got anywhere either,mostly due to the other people mostly being too busy with university. I joined a second game a month or so later, and that's all going on, some seven years later.

My first in-person session ever was what amounts to high-school, with a bunch of friends after school. We eventually got our janitor, who was a nerd several orders of magnitude greater than us. About at that time I GMed my first game ever.

Then, one of the waiters at the lunch place the school had hired to feed us overhead us talking about the game at the time and invited us to the local gaming club, where he was gonna run a Rogue Trader game.

Now I'm running a completely separate Rogue Trader game for him and some of the other old grognards, after several turns with WFRP, Gamma World and Shadowrun, among other things.
>>
>>44074033
One of my high school's english teachers.
God bless this magnificent bastard of a woman.
She is an amazing GM, experienced larper and a wonderful person.
Whenever something reminds me of her I feel a sudden urge to join the nearest gaming group.
>>
Wanting something better than RP chatrooms on Deviantart at the age of 12.
>>
>>44074033
The frist roleplaying game I played was this old game that belonged to my uncle called "Het Oog des Meesters" which was a Dutch translation of the German "Das Schwarze Auge", known in English as "The Dark Eye". But back then I was too young to really get it so it didn't really catch my imagination.

The first time I "really" played was a game of AD&D in highschool. There was this fat kid in my class who played it and he used to bring his handbooks and sometimes even written transcripts of his games to school. I guess since we kind of got along and I showed some actual interest in the game he invited me to join for a session.

I had a good time, but it never got beyond that one session. It wasn't until years later that I found a group to play more regular games with.
>>
>>44074033
When I was young my bests friends dad was a big nerd so he decided to DM a DnD campaign for us. Lots of good memories their, like looting a shack while my fighter buddy watched the entrance and the rest of the party was fighting goblins.
>>
File: Thetwinsarecheating.jpg (257 KB, 1200x752) Image search: [Google]
Thetwinsarecheating.jpg
257 KB, 1200x752
>>44074033
Online friends who reached into the depths of my sad existence and exalted me to Pathfinder. I made a narcoleptic rogue who wound up being party face. The next game I ran myself and everyone had fun and here I am today.

The end.
>>
>>44074033
Fell in with the wrong crowd in highschool.
>>
My mom gave D&D to me as a surprise present back in 1980 when I was 9.

I've never forgiven her.
>>
I started playing around the time I realized I'd rather be anyone else but myself.
>>
>>44074378
Can't save them all.
>>
>Used to browse /x/ once upon a time. Back before it was shit
>Back then /x/ and /tg/ were known to be tight so I would come over here for character art threads. Stayed for free text stories. Caught a few WHM stories and laughed my ass off.
>Really want to play a role playing game but none of my friends are interested in DnD (and the only ones that were hate my guts for sleeping with the token girl everyone was in love with)
>someone made a thread advertising a wow RP server that sounded cool so I tried it out. Made a troll witch doctor. And it was still the best group I ever played with.

Now it's like 5 fucking years later and that server is pretty much dead. Man where does the time go? Still never played a proper tabletop.
>>
>>44074033
Well, I got bored as shit with modern games and I can only play New Vegas and The Elder Scrolls so long. The green text of other people's quests has just been the icing on the cake for me to get into it and I haven't looked back since. Have only just played D&D 3.5, 5th and will be starting a session of Shadowrun next time we get together.
>>
Highly detailed but wildly out there historical ERP, often gay (both men and women) and genderswapped. Stuff like:
>What if Bleda the Hun and Attila the Hun were both girls and had a lesbian incest relationship
>What if Napoleon and Hippolyte Charles were in a homosexual relationship and using Josephine as cover
>What if Anna Komnene and Bohemond of Taranto totally hooked up when the Crusaders first came to Constantinople

We had a whole long-running campaign called 'Intervals in the Life of Empress Theodora' and used to share high quality smut with each other.
>>
There's an old recess episode about T.J. not being able to go outside and being relegated to the basement, where there are a group of nerds playing an rpg called like, "dice and demons" or something. Anyways, I loved that episode when I was really young. In middle school I was browsing my local library and found the 3.5 edition D&D players handbook. I roped a ton of my friends together and ran a small dungeon for them, and I've been playing various tabletop games with small groups ever since.
>>
>>44074033
Quests.
>>
>>44074033
Was reading OOTS and thought "this looks pretty fun". Read a lot about different games, tried organising games with friends over a couple of years but never really got anywhere until last summer I finally got a few people together for a game. That campaigns still going but due to college we rarely get to meet up. On the other hand since starting college I'm playing in 2 games and running a third so I can't complain.
>>
>>44074033
An article on RPGs in a local computing magazine called MikroBitti, back in the fall of 1987. There were a few players in the magazine's staff I believe, and it also ran a recurring TTRPG feature article "Peliluola" (game cavern) by a guy called Nordic the Incurable, who was a salesman in a certain LFGS near me.
>>
I introduced two friends to Dragon Ball, they introduced me to RPGs. I was 10.
>>
The original Unforgotten Realms series. Having played games like Runescape helped me see the appeal
>>
>>44074033
I found a 3.x manual of the planes at my local library.
>>
DoW.

I was googling Commander Aramus (Hairgel), ended up on 1d4chan, then /tg/. It was my introduction to 4chan on the same day.

I don't have anyone to play with, the lads at the RPG society of the uni are too much of a stereotype.
>>
>>44076724
Those feels
>>
>>44074033
Reading Foxtrot.
>>
Bunch of friends told me I had no reason to be reluctant to join their D&D group since I was already rock bottom in coolness.
>>
File: Battleship.jpg (518 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Battleship.jpg
518 KB, 2560x1600
My brother and I used to roleplay our own fanfictions from one of our favorite book series on our Nintendo DS's. We'd use PictoChat and stay up late roleplaying. There were no dice, of course, but it was the first time I ever experienced playing a fictional character and creating a story with someone else. It was actually a lot of fun.

Somehow that evolved into doing the same thing via Minecraft's text chat in LAN games with just the two of us. We were weird, okay? I think we might have sold our DSs at that point or something, which is why it moved to doing it on PC. Typing on a keyboard was 1000x easier than typing with the DS touchscreen, that's for sure.

Years later I somehow ended up on IRC, where one way or another I got involved with a handful of true RPGs. Three years after that, and I'm still playing games online with the same group of dudes and dudettes.

I've done some actual tabletop roleplaying too, but I don't like that as much as IRC roleplaying. Probably because I'm not very good at it. It's still a lot of fun, though.
>>
>>44076228
shes has to be fat
>>
MTG, Warhmmer 40k and Marijuana
>>
fanfiction
>>
My parents and their friends played AD&D 2e, and I found their Paranoia 2e stuff in a filing cabinet.
>>
>>44074033
My family were big on Warhammer modelling, but due to time constraints rarely had time to play a big game of Warhams. So we picked up Warhammer Quest, and that was technically the first RPG I played. Best friend was also into RPGs so I was really exposed when I was young, but didn't get to actually play any proper RPG until I was nearly 20.

Now play D&D with a group of close friends and Shadowrun with some acquaintances. Still play Quest with my family when we visit for Christmas, our characters are barely level 8 after six years.
>>
Some of my friends wanted to run D&D 4th ed some years back. None of us had any prior RPG experience. It lasted for some months, I never liked the game, had some good times despite of it and came out knowing I don't wanna play D&D but do wanna play and especially run RPGs.
>>
>>44074033
Family. My father was running games for us as soon as we could do the addition and basic reading necessary for the game.
>>
>>44087804
>knowing I don't wanna play D&D
You don't want to play 4e. D&D is one of those systems where the different editions play quite differently.
>>
File: wut da zog.jpg (69 KB, 563x587) Image search: [Google]
wut da zog.jpg
69 KB, 563x587
... I don't even remember. I just know that I somehow found and went to a Pen and Paper night halfway over the country (100 km lol) with a friend and that we picked up a rulebook there.
>>
>>44087882
Oh no, wait I just remembered. I played WoW and there was a forum with an internet radio I listened to. On that they had some live DSA rounds, which made me look into it.
>>
dnd greentexts
>>
File: rex murphy.png (88 KB, 190x185) Image search: [Google]
rex murphy.png
88 KB, 190x185
>>44074033
In a sense pure whim. When i went to uni, I went to the freshers fair where societies were recruiting looking to get into the warhammer and other tabletop games society. I found them fairly readily and had a good chat with one of the guys about how Nurgle was dominating the local chaos space marine (my team) playlists and promised to meet them on the saturday following after the next weekend.

Then in a uncharacteristic bout of confidence, for that part of my life, i decided to check out the other stalls. One the next ones was the roleplaying one run by a rather charasmatic guy called Harkus (no joke, actual name), who looked like pic related (although the pic came out after i met him). He persuaded me to come along to their one-offs session that weekend.

I went, enjoyed it so much that I forgot about going to wargaming the following weekend and by the next session (first day of actual campaigns) I was so enamored that I have been hooked ever since.
>>
>bump
>>
World of Warcraft roleplay realms got me into roleplaying. Later I met a DM through ERP on F-list. Mentioned I’d like to do it and boom, introduction to RPG Games in the form of a normal game of Pathfinder. Now it’s just a matter of expanding the range of games to play.
>>
>>44074033
Well OP, it went like this.

>Be /a/non
>Bored cause all the threads on /a/ that day were boring
>Nothing stands out on /k/
>Wait, what's this /tg/ board? Traditional games? What kind of traditional games
>Oh, like DnD? That's cool.
>Hey, these CYOA threads are kinda fun. I think I'll come back again
>What are these quest threads? Oh, like those things we used to have on /a/? I'll give them a look.
>These are alright. The Kill La Kill quests are cancer, but the rest of these are alright.
>You know, now that I've been here a while, maybe I'll look into this DnD stuff. It sounds fun, I like the story's I've seen shared here, maybe I'll check that gamefinder thread and see if I can find a game.

TL;DR - /tg/ got me into roleplaying games.
>>
>>44074033
My neighbour actually. Young 20ish something who took it upon himself to introduce me to decent fantasy novels, so lent me a huge stack of them over one summer; some of these novels being the old FASA shadowrun books. I tore through them and he told me some stories about his old shadowrun games. I was pretty enamoured so that got me to buy a tattered copy of the old shadowrun 3rd ed rulebook, the rest is history.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.