[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup keks, trying to get into X-Wing but I'm also trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_0240.jpg (297 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0240.jpg
297 KB, 1600x1066
Sup keks, trying to get into X-Wing but I'm also trying to buy enough ships for games with my non-gaming friends

For my first purchase I've decided that I will buy the TFA core set, the falcon, the tie phantom, and the slave I

what else do you guys suggest I buy? looking for "generic" small ships that easily fit into any build. Should I buy the first core set as well? What are some tournament standard cards/expansions I should get?
>>
TIE fighters are always a good idea. You can run an entire list of basic ones or just throw one into the mix.

Workhorse ships for the rebels are generally the Y and B wings, although X and A wings are also quite decent.

The original starter box is quite good and probably worth getting.
>>
>>44073988
i was thinking of getting an a-wing because it had a cool card in it (i forgot which). What are some other tournament standard cards I should look out for and what expansions are they in?

I was planning to get a buncha tie fighers but should i get regular tie fighters or the new tie/fo fighters? how about the new xwings?

and do i really need the first core set if im getting the second one?

is it safe just to get 1 of each for the rebels?
>>
>>44074240
The new x-wing is enormously more viable than the original one.
New ties are kinda untested, they've got some very interested named pilots, but not as cost effective for generic swarms.

A-wing is fun, interceptors are great, Y-wings are kinda fun to slot in as support/zoning/control ships. Phantoms are weird and fun to fly, but occasionally frustrating to fly against, especially for new players. E-Wing is kinda overpriced, but also fun. B-Wings are pretty basic, as are Tie Defenders, but chunky enough to be fun in casual play. B's are certainly viable competitively as a jousting deathblob formation, but that's going be be boring as shit for casual play.
>>
>>44074401
does the new xwing just completely overshadow the old one? like is there any reason to even get the old xwings?
>>
>>44075350
Old x wings have some amazing pilots and are just cheaper. The aces are the only thing holding it up though. Their action bar is just too vanilla and their dial is eh. That being said I still fly them and enjoy flying them, but you have to take full advantage of pilots like Biggs and Wedge.
>>
>>44075746
thoughts on this?

is this good enough for casuals plays with friends and also be tourney viable?
>>
>>44073439
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game
>>
>>44075961
The great thing about this game, and this is going to sound like a load of shit, but all ships are usable to some degree.

Get what your favorites are within your budget and then learn to play with friends.

The hardest part for me is finding people to play- even after telling them they don't have to spend money since I have so many models.
>>
>>44075961
Should be. If you wanted you could drop the original core and get both Imperial and Rebel Aces instead, but I love muh arc dodgers, Jake the Snake especially, so I'm biased.
>>
>>44076112
hmm now i cant decide

tie fighter spam seems fun but I guess i'd need them to be strictly tie fighters?
>>
>>44076112
i guess starting off the TFA core set and the two aces expansions seem to be enough?
>>
>>44076112
Well one core set is a good deal cheaper than both aces and would also give him an extra set of dice which is a great thing, especially for phantoms. I say it looks good.
>>
>>44076504
do i need to get expansions for the core set shit?

do I not have access to all the pilots if I dont get the expansions?
>>
>>44076614
The expansions come with more pilots. Any ship that doubles in a core set or an aces pack is going to have more pilots than other ships For that reason. X wings and now ties thanks to their inclusions in huge ship transports have like 10 aces each.

Do you need them? No. Wedge or Luke will stand as fine additions to an army on their own. In that regard, I suppose the access hold a little more value. You see, the access packs we're made to make old ships better. The A Wing and B Wing were underwhelming before then and access gives some retroactive fixes in the form of upgrades made specially for those ships.
>>
>>44076200
If you want true swarms, it'll be all /lns and /fos, yeah.
Personally, I'm a fan of triple interceptors, but that's because I'm a Baron Fel fanboy.
>>
>>44076759
so if I wanted an a-wing I'd be better off just buying the rebel aces?
>>
>>44076874
Both would work great together, aces even comes with duplicates of it's upgrades to give to the original A-Wing, but yeah. If you want to fly one A-Wing then the aces is going to stand a lot stronger than the original with it's proton rockets and ability to double up on elite pilot skills. B-Wing also stands stronger in the aces version with it's upgrade to add a crew slot and pilot made to take advantage of it's high stress situations.
>>
>>44077142
hmm so i guess ill go with my original cart but with rebel aces instead of the awing
>>
>>44077455
A-wing expansion comes with PTL which you're going to want/need eventually, so I'd still get it. Miniature market also has most of that stuff cheaper I think
>>
>>44077518
>PTL
oh yeah that's the card I wanted

any other tournament standard shit I should look out for in other expansions I haven't mentioned?
>>
all right this seems to be appropriate for a "core collection" of sorts for casual games and what not

should I bother with getting the first core set? I'm going to get the TFA one for sure but idk if getting a second one is necessary with the purchase of both aces.
>>
>>44077663
That Millennium Falcon is from the wrong game.
>>
>>44077704
oh lmao ty
>>
>>44077714
Also its worth getting the first core for R2-D2 and Luke alone, and the extra dice.
>>
>>44077721

is mixing in /to and the regular tie fighters into a swarm any fun?

also are the newer models compatible with their older ones? or are they considered their own ships? would it be hard to house rule it or would I need their actual bases or w/e?
>>
>>44077518
If he gets imperial aces, he can get 2 PTLs that way. Unlike the other pack though, imperial aces works a LOT better if you have the stand alone first. Probably better to just get the A-Wing if all you're after is the PTL and Tycho.
>>
>>44077808
first stand alone meaning the tie interceptor expansion?
>>
Interested in starting and got the Force Awakens box on Black Friday for like twenty bucks how good is that set?
>>
>>44077845
Yeah. Soontir Fel is hands down the interceptor pilot to fly and he comes in the base interceptor expansion. Aces expansion helped make him that way by giving him potential for 2 mods and handing out PTL like candy. There's other interceptors you can fly but Soontir is the one who will never leave the meta.

If you can spare getting it, then your cart looks perfect for giving rebels and imperials a lot of options, but you can always get him at a later date too and the interceptor pilots in the aces pack are no slouch.
>>
>>44077936
ty sounds good

is the interceptor the only case where this applies? any other essential pilots or upgrades im missing?
>>
>>44077972
Some people tell me Tycho is the way to run A-Wings but I find Jake Farell more fun and more effective. He's the best delivery man to bring the proton rocket pain. The only other instance I can think of with must have pilots is the stand alone tie expansion gives you Howlrunner, the best team player for ties.
>>44077771
I have a lot of fun mixing old and new ties. Both work as a great filler if you just want to just fill in the spaces as wingmen to go along side 1 powerful ship like Soontir or the Firespray. I have a list I'm dying to try once the new tie stand alone comes out of half old and half new ties, 6 total.
>>
Just curious, what's the largest miniature available in that game?
>>
>>44078136
Counting the huge ships, probably the imperial raider.
>>
>>44078136
Largest small base ship is just shy of a 4 inch wing span with the K-Wing. Largest large base ship is going to be the Ghost which seems to be 7 inches long and 5 1/2 inches wide. Huge base ships, well I don't have the Corvette, but I can tell you the raider comes in at 13 inches long.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.