[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons and Dragons 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: magic.png (141 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
magic.png
141 KB, 600x431
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Didn't see one active, might as well make one. What's your favorite school of magic?

Previous thread
>>44056942
>>
>>44073254

Enchantment/Abjuration hit me up.

inb4 edgy kids and evocation.
>>
Where can I learn more about the fey in forgotten realms?

How have you used fey in your games?
>>
Conjuration is the best school

Has anyone done a ToB style adaptation for 5e? Has it worked for you if you've played with it?

I kind of want to modify martials to be at the mid point between now and that power level. Not too many magic powers but just more to do and some extra abilities to keep them up with casters at higher levels.
>>
There are now two of these on the board. Neither one has the /5eg/ tag. Users use this tag to filter the posts they see.

Stop fucking up.
>>
>>44073568

nigga you make the post next time then
>>
>>44073520
>Where can I learn more about the fey in forgotten realms?
Not as easy as one might hope. While there are references to fey living in some of the major forests, the Chondalwood having a large amount of Satyrs for instance, there are few details on the fey beyond those miscellaneous mentions.
From what little I remember on Realms Fey, they are purposefully mysterious, and a great deal of them are very dangerous. Most urban fey are sneaky things or shapeshifters who feed off of intense (often negative) emotions, and will go out of their way to cause said emotional outbursts.

>How have you used fey in your games?
On occasion. Satyrs for the rapists who feel like they're doing the world a favor, dryads for some kidnapping, and quicklings who work as messengers who split as soon as things look bad, to name a few.
>>
>>44073254
>07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

Satanic magic. Great. More fuel for the fundamentalist Christians.
>>
>>44073746
I think you mean Asmodaic Magic.
No Devils here. only Baetezu.
>>
>>44073746
>Thinking the satanic panic is still in full swing
>Giving a single shit what fundies think
>>
File: 1419022248124.jpg (29 KB, 178x334) Image search: [Google]
1419022248124.jpg
29 KB, 178x334
>divination
>on the material side

>evocation
>on the ethereal side
>>
Someone remind me: other than Frenzy Barbarian, War Cleric, the Polearm Master, Monk, Quickening spells via Sorcerer and spells that are by default bonus actions, what other ways are there to attack or cast spells as bonus actions?
>>
>>44073254
Any suggestions on short adventures, from the adventurers league, for 4 level 3 characters?
It has to be a fun and easy to do the settup/DMing.
>>
>>44073746
...and they were THIS close to accepting D&D!
>>
>>44073746
Catholic here, I love D&D. Fundamentalists are crazy people, no matter what they believe.
>>
>>44074259
>a game where you can literally beat up demons and smithe them with gods blessing
>>
>>44073254
Any printable sheet with the rules for conditions and normal combat stuff, like cover?
>>
>>44073564
I know there's a Martial Adapt homebrew class in the homebrew mega link.

Personally I've brewed up a Crusader class that's meant to be a port of the ToB Crusader, haven't bothered playtesting it at all though. Here's the breakdown of it from what I felt could be converted over:

>d10 HD
>Proficient w/ all weapons, armors, shields
> Saving Throws are Con. and Cha.
> Select 1 of 3 Weapon Archetypes (Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, White Raven)
> Get superiority die to use maneuvers from the Weapon Archetypes, they regen every long rest
> Devoted Spirit archetype focuses on added radiant damage and self buffs/heals
> Stone Dragon focuses on raw damage and minor condition ailments
> White Raven focuses on buffs to party and debuffs to foes
> Maneuvers cost 1-5 die, die cost scales with effectiveness/power level of the maneuvers

If I were to do the other two ToB classes Swordsage would revolve around Desert Wind, Setting Sun, or Diamond Mind, while Warblade would revolve around Iron Heart, Shadow Hand, or Tiger Claw.
>>
I quite like maneuvers. I think they could be ported from Battlemaster to other martial classes, but I'm not sure what would be thematically/mechanically proportional. I can imagine:

Monk (Swordsage or maybe Sohei/Kensei)
Paladin (Oath of King's Rose)
Maybe Warlock? (White Lotus pact)

Would that work? Would others work?
>>
>>44074175
Dual-Wielding. Shield Master Feat. Great Weapon Master Feat cleave effect. Charger Feat (not exactly what you meant though).
>>
>>44074297
Same here. You get some great RP with church groups. People some great crusaders, but also some damn fine sinners needing redeeming too. And with actual story arcs no less.
>>
>>44074526
Well, keep in mind that ToB's classes were meant to be updates/improvements upon three of the core martial classes to have them try and keep up with caster superiority (Crusader is Paladin 2.0, Warblade is Fighter 2.0, Swordsage is Monk 2.0).
>>
>>44073254
>Divination is Material
>Evocation is Ethereal
What.

My favourite school of magic is Abjuration. You can do a lot with it and I love being about to counter or dispel magic.
>>
>>44073254
This wheel is absolute garbage.
>>
>>44073520
I Dming and adventure in feywild right now.
Shit is all magical and full of tricksters.
>>
>>44074238
I never got the adventurers league thing.
XP and gp for the DM?
Never bothered reading either.

Oh gawd... Im turning into virt.
>>
File: 1448594434448.gif (9 KB, 128x214) Image search: [Google]
1448594434448.gif
9 KB, 128x214
I'm going through the player's handbook and I'm confused by a lot of the decisions made. A lot of the levels for fighters and other martial type characters have nothing in them but a passive stat boost, and for some reason they got rid of healing surges so now you've gotta tug around a cleric all the time again.
>>
>>44074175
Most combat-oriented spells for Rangers and Paladins (that aren't also available to Clerics and Druids) are bonus actions.

My usual routine for going Nova as a GWM Devotion Paladin:

Round 1: Channel Divinity (+CHA to hit), bonus action to cast Blinding Smite or similar.

Round 2: Mount uses Help action to give me advantage (assuming I don't have it already). First attack using GWM, burn off Blinding Smite, burn a spell slot for a normal smite. Bonus action to cast another Blinding Smite or whatever. Second attack using GWM, burn Blinding Smite, burn another spell slot for another normal smite.

Round 3: Drink a Coke while the Rogue searches the bodies.
>>
>>44074238
There are a bunch of them in the OP. Most are designed to last about 4 hours, usually in a pair of 2 hour sessions.
>>
>>44074526
IIRC White Lotus and Rose King were each suites of feats in 4e. Would it work to have a single feat in 5e cover these styles?
>>
File: 1424504195885.jpg (278 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1424504195885.jpg
278 KB, 800x600
>>44074970
Also, the monk looks like it sucks, again. They were good in 4e and then the 5e guys had to fuck their shit up.
>>
>>44073254
Illusion.
In 5e has the best high level features, that synergize the best with high level spells. It's nowhere as awesome as Divination or Abjuration at low levels, but still, from level 11 onward it's just FUCKING BULLSHIT all the time, and it only gets worse.
Honorable mention from gishes too, Mirror Image and Blur are staples.
>>
>>44075368
Don't forget 6th level Illusionist can spend an action to bring back disappeared mirror images, as long as one remains.
>>
>>44075255
Monks and fighters aren't that bad in practise. The ranger, on the other hand, sucks ass.
>>
>>44075433
Don't get me wrong, 5e fighters and monks are better than their 3.5/PF equivalents. But I still would rather just play 4e.
>>
>>44075255
Actually I've played a Monk. Never been to high levels, but up to ten they can hold their own very well.
>>
>>44075255
The Way of the 4 Elements Monk is pretty crap, the other archetypes are serviceable, if a bit underpowered due to how they kinda gimped Monks on ki points and ki regen.

The SCAG Monk is better, you basically turn into a DBZ character at higher levels, but still suffers from lack of ki points to really get the most out of the skills.

And while there is no healing surge that you can use mid-combat (unless you're a Fighter with Second Wind or Paladin's Lay on Hands) every class can spend hit die to regain HP during a short rest.

So yes, you do need a healing class of some kind (Bard, Druid, Cleric) for mid-combat heals, but otherwise it isn't as bad as 3.5 or PF where if you didn't have a Cleric to act as a box of band-aids you were screwed.
>>
>>44075464
I think there's Healing Surge optional rules in DMG, where it's basically you spending half of your class level's hit die (minimum 1) + Con mod to regain HP mid-combat, but that's only doable once a long rest.
>>
What are the best spells for a High Elf Bladesinger?
>>
>>44075580
You wanna be a heavy hitter or a controller?
>>
File: PC Spellslinger.jpg (714 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
PC Spellslinger.jpg
714 KB, 1000x1414
>>44075588
Was going for a gunslinger type guy, urban bounty hunter background, influenced by pic related.
>>
>>44075758
Cool.
Blasting spells.
at least 2 cantrips from SCAG.
Some utility, but not much.
I'll have to do some stuff now, but if I come back later and the thread is still alive, I'll try to make a propper list, if another anon doesnt deliver first.
>>
>>44075429
But other than that, an Illusionist is just a normal wizard until level 11, when they get an Image that does not take up Concentration.
Until then, it doesn't feel like he makes use of his features, unlike the Diviner that rocks Portent from level 2.
>>
>>44074970
Whenever you get an ability score increase you can choose to forgo it for a feat instead if you're playing with feats.
>>
Does anyone know the generator that just creates loot found on goblins or kobolds? Can't find it in the pastebin
>>
>>44075858
Anon, the SCAG spells revolve around melee. The one spell that doesn't target enemies right next to you pulls them such that they are.

To my knowledge, there are no interactions of ranged weapons and spells save for the ranger spells, and a handful of others (such as Hex).

Not that you couldn't use a hand crossbow or other ranged weapon as a wizard, but it would require Dex, which would reduce the effectiveness of your Int-based spells.

If you're fine with this, you likely want to select spells that deal AoE damage, since your single-target damage will likely be handled by your crossbow (which also starts to lose out to your cantrips when you go into high levels).

Also consider dipping a level into Fighter for Close Quarters Shooter, which affects both your crossbow and your spells (note that the CQS Style, unlike Archery Style, does not specify a weapon requirement for the affected ranged attacks).
>>
>>44074970
Any time a character gets an ability score upgrade, they can choose a feat instead

And healing surges still exist kinda, during a short rest you can roll your HD and heal for that much
>>
File: m-medusa.png~original.png (237 KB, 434x532) Image search: [Google]
m-medusa.png~original.png
237 KB, 434x532
I know this is a tough call, but does anyone have plot hooks for medusa PCs, preferably in Eberron?

Any hooks for other monster races are welcome as well, irrespective of setting.
>>
>>44074165
this.

fix it.
>>
Cantrips:
Booming Blade, Firebolt, Lightning Lure, Sword Burst.

1st:
Absorb Elements, Chromatic Orb, Expeditious Retreat, Find Familiar, Magic Missile, Shield.

2nd:
Hold Person.

>>44076157
Anon said he was going Bladesinger. Why bladesinger if you're not using swords.
>>
>>44076222
Bladesong is quite powerful even if you aren't really into the Blade part.
>>
>>44075255
> prefers 4e monk
Stay MAD, anon.>>44075368
>>
File: z01.jpg (587 KB, 1500x1350) Image search: [Google]
z01.jpg
587 KB, 1500x1350
>>44073254
>>44073254
>>44073254

>Canned encounters and contest voting
koboldpress.com/archives/20595

>Map dump
>>44047941
>>
>>44076222
>>44076286
Because >>44075758 (presumably the same anon) specified:
>Was going for a gunslinger type guy, urban bounty hunter background

Why would a gunslinger use a sword?
>>
How would I go about playing a Far Traveler from Halruaa?
>>
>>44076338
Do you even sword-and-pistol, bro?
>>
>>44076210
Know your settings, anon. In Eberron, medusae are spooky, monsters from underground whose civilization has little to no overlap with that of most pc races due to the fact that they can't turn their petrification off. Unless you're playing an all-monster campaign or your GM doesn't give a shit, I'd recommend you pick something else.
>>
>>44076338
Because it's fantasy, part of his backstory (heirloom), and I don't particularly like crossbows.

He has a wand in his holster, and spells take care of ranged attacks.
>>
>>44076338
It's all in the personality, brahj. Rough and tumble, spaghetti-western style law-man. Anon's pic related was "The Man with no Crossguard." No six shooter in sight. Just 3 1/2 ft of tempered steel.
>>
File: Changeling_Assassin_WIP.jpg (89 KB, 349x724) Image search: [Google]
Changeling_Assassin_WIP.jpg
89 KB, 349x724
>>44076394
I'm the GM, playing around to design a monster campaign for 5e. Technically, medusas are acceptable in society if they wear something to protect other people from their gaze. And characterization for Sheshka from Baker's "Queen of Stone" was somewhat interesting. Reading "Legacy of Kings" atm to get inspiration for goblinoids.
>>
>>44076396
friend!
>>
>>44073254
Are rogues as fun as THEY say they are?
>>
I'm confused.

When will be hearing actual information about the next release?

January, February?

What are we meant to be expecting? Last I heard was some shakespearian giant bullshit, now we are talking about planes and ravenloft?
>>
>>44073254
Fuck you OP

Put /5eg/ in the title so people can search for the fucking thread easily.
>>
File: virtposters.jpg (78 KB, 640x566) Image search: [Google]
virtposters.jpg
78 KB, 640x566
Threadly reminder:

D&D Next is a power fantasy, all GMs that kill characters or allow PvP are That Guys.
>>
>>44076652
>inb4 no biggie
>>
>>44076609
I concur with this anon on the second point.
>>
>>44076652
>Implying that you are can be good DM if you don't punish a player for being fucking retarded
>Implying I don't let the PC's kill stab that one asshole PC that steals their shit to death
player agency is god motherfucker.
>>
File: image.jpg (405 KB, 1224x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
405 KB, 1224x1440
>>44074437
>>44074526
>>44074619
>>44075226

Hey. Sorry I went to sleep for the night. I originally posted >>44073564

Here's my thing, I think martials are essentially better than casters from levels 1-4, and by 5 they're probably all even, and then casters slowly start to creep ahead in terms of both the power of their spells, and the number of slots they get. Which means every level they get more crazy powers, and more slots to use them with. The old adage of martials being linear and wizards quadratic I think is MUCH reduced by wotc in this latest edition, but still existent.

I think what would solve that to some extent (and to the extent that it IS solvable) would to be give martial characters an expanded options set.

In my mind this would include:
>secondary martial archetypes with expanded possibilities (not upgrades of existent ones, just more specific triggering or more choice based martial archetypes to be picked up after level 1)
>maneuvers a la ToB for martial characters which would allow for per combat/initiative choices. I was thinking less nova damage based ones, and more in combat utility ones
>potentially stances, the first of which we have an example of in the tunnel fighting martial archetype.

I kind of would LIKE to develop this as just a supplement to already existing martial classes, but his is dangerous as some (paladin, monk IMO, though monk may be a weaker version, they still get some powerful spell like abilities which are I think good in terms of choice economics) are already a bit more quadratic than others. To the extent that you can be "a bit more quadratic". So I'm not exactly sure how to balance that out completely but I like the idea of sword techniques, some more wuxia style combat (but not completely over the top, well, maybe at high levels idk), some more options besides I hit it with my maul, etc.

Idk when I get a first draft going I'll post it here and be ridiculed.
>>
>>44076652
? the other day an anon, with the same picture, just said exactly the opposite.
>>
>God tier
Thieves are amazing if you're resourceful, they're a huge asset to any team and are very entertaining at the table. The more liberal the DM is with rulings on skill and item use, the more powerful they'll become.

Fast Hands bonus action allows you throw all sorts of stuff at enemies, but without having to give up your Attack Action to do so. Blowing poison into a square, setting shit on fire, locking doors, healing kits or ripping items off enemies. The list of things you can do with Fast Hands is huge.

UMD is real nice, not just for wearing items no one else wants. This feature allows you to be the scroll monkey, meaning you can cast any spell in the game. You can ignore the DC for casting high level spells, which is quite a huge deal; something multiclassing can't let you do.

Thief's Reflexes is by-far the best capstone feature, perhaps in the game. Having another turn means you get another bonus, saving throws and reaction, it also can hasten a lot of effects.

All this, plus a couple of solid sneaky ninja features.
>Meh tier

Swashbuckler
Best path if you want to make a bombastic duelist character who is all about hitting stuff and zipping around, but it has a hard time keeping up at late mid-end game. Perfect if you plan on dipping into other martial classes.

Taking the prize for being the biggest noobtrap, Ass-ass-inns are trannies that need to be winning in order to be good. Not a terrible path in small stealth parties.

>Shit tier

Arcane Trickster
The shittiest one-turd caster. All they get is the rape hand, they're missing important features that a sneaky caster would need.

Master Mind
Level 3 isn't too bad for a warlord-like build, but everything beyond that is garbage. Also, anyone who actually RPs this path will act like a total douche.
>>
>>44078239
My other thought is as compensation to include some metamagic talent tree for casters as well (which wouldn't step on the toes of sorcerers, somehow. Thoughts not fully formed), and to expand the familiar system to be more like old school important familiars.

So to increase the whole game power wise.

But I think some changes would need to be made.

For example battlemaster fighter might have to change drastically and gain maneuvers just at a much higher rate than other classes and have increased flexibility.

I might port oath spells from the paladin into the space for them to gain maneuvers and such.

Monks might need to get somewhat rehauled and elements monks become the monk archetype oriented toward being the swordsage port.

Idk if barbarians should be included or not. Maybe.

Rangers could use any help they can get.

Kind of interesting if valor bards, swashbucklers, bladelocks, and sword singers get some martial assistance. Idk. Bladelocks could use some help for sure.
>>
>>44073520
>how have you used fey in your games
Scary rapemonsters on par with demons in level of danger. It so much more fun when your players aren't even sure if what they're dealing with is a threat, or a fey at all.

I know you're reading this, and no, it's not a fey patron.
>>
>>44078316
So, entire forest of Evil Dead rape trees?
>>
>>44078345
No, that's just wood elves.
>>
>>44078316
>It so much more fun when your players aren't even sure if what they're dealing with is a threat, or a fey at all.

That's interesting that you say that. My players just got out of the Abyss, and are back in the real world, in a relatively safe area. They decided to take a trek through the woods to save some time on the way to the next city, and I was considering working in Fey, or a Unicorn, or something.

What would be the best way to do that?

I'm really trying to fit in as many fantasy / D&D classics and tropes into this campaign. My players literally just fought a troll that came from under a bridge, and loved it. Now I'm having trouble figuring out how to work in

>Centaurs
>Giants
>A Necromancer
>Dragon
>Beholder
>

They're level 6
>>
>>44078380
Are you trying to scare the everloving shit out of them? Because throwing down a fey might make them believe they never left the Abyss in the first place and something is trying to trick them. (Also when out say 'out of the Abyss', you're just talking in flavour, not the actual campaign book, right?)
>>
Is Great Weapon Master unblanced? My DM says it's unbalanced, i say there are thing most unbalced than that feat, like 3/4 of the spells
>>
>>44078410
It's ridiculously strong compared to the other feats, but I wouldn't say it's actually broken.
>>
>>44078410
>-5 to attack
>+10 to damage
People seem to always forget you get a -5 to attack, tell him that at best a character will hit with an 11 or a 12, with that feat it's a 6 or a 7 and you don't double that on crits.
>>
>>44078410
Kinda. It makes other combat style look much inferior. Though spells do that to everything
>>
>>44078410
Ritual Caster, Lucky and Mounted Combatant can be a lot crazier than GWM.
>>
>>44078478
>It makes other combat style look much inferior
That's sharpshooter
>>
File: Landscape - Gorge.jpg (289 KB, 781x1000) Image search: [Google]
Landscape - Gorge.jpg
289 KB, 781x1000
>>44078409
Ohhh....nah not the actual campaign. Just flavor. They were in a hellish landscape, which was a pocket of the abyssal plane.
>>
>>44078261
This is something I haven't been able to get a straight answer on: Can you use Fast Hands to administer a healing potion to an unconscious ally? Can you ever administer a healing potion to an unconscious ally, or would they just choke on it?
>>
>>44078466
The system's bounded accuracy and the many sources for advantage diminish the effect of -5. Low level monsters have such low hp and AC you could fell them in single hits. Higher level stuff can still be mowed through by a fighter with advantage and enough attacks.
>>
>>44078533
I dunno, that extra attack on a kill/crit sees a lot of use
>>
>>44078478
>Kinda. It makes other combat style look much inferior.
sentinel + polearm master
>>
>>44078410
When compared most other feats? Yes. Feats in general just plain suck in this edition. Some of them are godly or situational but the rest are best not mentioned.

However, even with the synergy it gets from fighting styles and extra attack actions it doesn't offer much overall. It makes the Fighter the king of sustained DPR...at level 20. If the DM wants to complain about unbalanced, roll a diviner wizard and abuse the everloving fuck out of portent. Twice a day you either make a player godly or an npc suckly.
>>
>>44078554
According to the DMG, no. Page 141, says using magic items doesn't fall under the Use an Object action.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

Your DM might allow it for potions, since you could always just pour the potion into a mundane item(like a flask) and drink it that way. Really depends if the DM says potions lose their magic outside of the bottle.
>>
>>44078261
How is Fast Hands better than the AT Mage Hand business? It can do most of the stuff you listed for Fast Hands AND it can do it at range.
>>
File: quick rule summery.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
quick rule summery.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44074432
>>
>>44078885
Shouldn't those be Perception/Investigation/Acrobatics checks for traps, not Wisdom/Intelligence/Dexterity?
>>
>>44078871
Has to be cast every minute, it has to receive the items, can't deal with heavy stuff and can't use all items fully. It's also slow as balls, so its pretty much useless in chases or mounted combat if it ever lets go of you.

The range isn't even that good, 30ft is hardly anything. If you ever get dragged around(easy to do in 5E) even a little and the hand is nearly max range; your hand will just vanish and you'd have to spend a whole turn getting it back.

Overall, it's a bitch to micromanage the hand and Fast Hands is just more reliable.
>>
>>44078533
Why is sharpshooter so good?
>>
>>44079285
Ignore all but total cover with ranged weapons (which is a huge deal, especially when you have a mix of ranged and melee characters in your group).

Is better accuracy-wise when combined with the Archery fighting style that the melee equivalent, GWM, with the -5 atk/+10 dmg bit.

Lets you ignore long-range disadvantage with ranged weapons, basically meaning as long as you can see them, you can hit them.
>>
>>44079235
Skill checks in 5e are ability checks with skills as bonuses. The cheat sheet is being brief.

Also the DEX check is to disable a trap which is done through Thieve's Tools ability checks, not acrobatics.
>>
>>44079340
So is it dex + proficiency (if they're proficient) or is it just proficiency?
>>
>>44078410
It's not completely unbalanced, but in truth it's probably one of the strongest feats in the game. With it at lvl 20, a fighter can pump out as much damage as a 9th level spell if all their attacks hit. But they can only do that at most twice a day and anything with a solid AC can dodge half of that without too much issue. Early levels is very balanced because that penalty to hit is massive to a low level PC.
>>
>>44079348
DEX + Proficiency Bonus (if applicable)
>>
Hey guys, looking through the books, I didn't see anything about Wealth By Level. How much money should a level 5 starting character have?
>>
>>44079411
Wealthy by level isn't a thing, but there are starting rules in the DMG.
>>
>>44079411
There's a (very) rough guide on page 38 of the DMG.

Basically: it don't matter. Most characters at any level could go with starting equipment and be fine. Higher level martials need a magic weapon and the best armor in their chosen armor range. Give spellcasters a wand or two, if you feel they need it.
>>
>>44079411
However much the DM thinks they should.
>>
File: dolla.png (328 KB, 833x343) Image search: [Google]
dolla.png
328 KB, 833x343
>>44079411
dmg 38
>>
>>44078410
Its probably the strongest feat at level 20. Levels 1-8 it doesn't do much at all. The -5 accuracy is killer, at level 1 with point buy variant human it puts you at +0 to hit AT BEST. Its usefulness is directly related to how high enemy AC, so any DM can make the feat godly or useless, just like HAM (or most other feats in the book, alert is shit if you never get caught by suprise, etc.)
>>
>>44079411
>>44079488
>>44079447
Also note that the table is preceded with the book basically saying "this is an example, use it as a starting point and do what feels right for your game".
>>
File: 48573893754.jpg (186 KB, 314x506) Image search: [Google]
48573893754.jpg
186 KB, 314x506
Have you made any magic items for your party? What item are you most proud of?
>>
I'm retarded, does it affect equipment prices if you are large or small? Does it affect damage dice?
>>
>>44079609
No, but smaller characters can't use larger weapons.
>>
>>44079609
Small creatures make all attacks with heavy weapons with disadvantage.

PCs are pretty much never large except for temporary spells, but most weapons above medium double, triple, or quadruple the damage dice.
>>
>>44073254
I play an Evocation Wizard.
I know it's not the "best" in terms of metagaming, but I've always liked the pure Elementalist archetype so that's what I'm going for. Throwing Fireballs and Lightning Bolts is just awesome to me. Our party is very melee heavy, so I do use the spell sculpting or w/e it's called a lot, which lets me exclude a few targets from my AoE spells.
I like to envision my character as a scholar studying the primal forces of the universe.
>>
>>44074311
with A god's blessing. Not Yahweh though so HERESY!
>>
>>44079644
I'm a retard, where is the damage dice increasement stated?
>>
>>44079576
I have but most of them escape me atm. The only one I can think of that I actually like would have to be the refillable potion. It was a potion that healed for 1D6 + 2 Hp and held 4 charges. All charges would restore at dawn. It was a simple item for a two person party where both people were fighters. Was fun but was ultimately short lived, like every campaign I have ever tried to run with my group of friends.
>>
>>44079717
The 270s of the DMG, in the monster creation section. Like I said, it's not really for players at all, it's just a suggestion for how to stat big monsters wielding big weapons.
>>
>>44078239
>In my mind this would include:
All good ideas, anon. One possible avenue for martial characters might be better (and specific) options for imposing status effects on enemies that you hit, perhaps in place of dealing damage.

>>44078299
>My other thought is as compensation
Casters don't need more options. If you feel that they lag behind at low levels, give them one or two more 1st and 2nd level spell slots to compensate.

>So to increase the whole game power wise.
I thought your goal was to make classes more balanced at all levels, so wizards don't outstrip warriors at high levels. That would mean you boost casters a little at low levels, and give martial characters more interesting and powerful options at high levels.
>>
>>44079488
>>44079447
>>44079544
Alright, rad. Thanks a lot, I can always count on you guys.
>>
>>44079745
Thanks, one player has this homebrewed centaur race that seems pretty balanced, though it's large.
>>
>>44080329
For centaurs, since the upper half is person sized, just have them use Medium Weapons
>>
>>44073254

So guys. A 500gp 6th level fire spell that fires a 300ft beam, and you don't get an action on your next turn after using it.

How much damage do you think it should do?
>>
>>44080479
>>
>>44080479
I would say a lot if it's a narrow laser but less if it's a wide beam. So does this beam only target one person or is it like a large cone spell? Also is the 500 gp item consumed when the spell is cast?
>>
>>44080565

500gp is consumed, and it's a 6inch beam, but not single target.
>>
>>44080614

Dex save to avoid and only take 1d6 fire damage from excess heat too, I forgot to add.
>>
>>44073520
What is even up with her legs?
>>
>>44080614
So it's a piercing laser. Ok.

I would say 14D6 + 40 damage. Solely because of the consumption and the turn loss. I would of given it more but the number above is fair since it can pierce through 300 feet of enemies. That can be devastating if used right.
>>
>>44080704

'Could you all line up? Yeah, you a little to the right...great, okay.'
>>
>>44080683
She is part goat so I'm assuming that she has hooves instead of feat, and in turn has goat legs that compliment her hooves so she can reasonably stand. Other than that Idk.
>>
File: Witch-Hunter.jpg (138 KB, 767x511) Image search: [Google]
Witch-Hunter.jpg
138 KB, 767x511
Matt Mercer released a balance update of his homebrewed Witch Hunter class (now Blood Hunter) in case anyone checked that out before.

http://geekandsundry.com/matt-mercer-presents-the-blood-hunter-class-for-dd/
>>
>>44080725
It a actually not too hard to goad an enemy Into a certain position if you use terrain and other PC'S to your advantage. I'm not saying it would be useful all the time but then again you don't want to use a 500 gp spells all the time. It's more like an emergency fuck everything button.
>>
>>44074165
My first thought as well
>>
>>44080791
>Improved and stronger
Well, mutant was already OP as fuck, and now is more? cool?
>>
>>44080791

Where are people getting the fonts and shit from in order to make these official looking homebrews?
>>
>>44080751
Those are neither hooves nor goat legs. That's not even remotely how any of that works.
>>
>>44080479
So basically a longer line Lightning Bolt, only after using it you have to spend a turn doing literal nothing, or no attack option?

Cause if it's no attack option but you can still move or minor, then 10d6 + 40 damage, Dex save to take half damage. If it's a full turn off, then at least 14d6 + 40 damage, Dex save for half. I mean, for a arcane caster having a full turn off where you are basically in cool down mode better be a big-ass nuke/nova especially when fire damage is the most common element type to be resistant or immune to.
>>
>>44080479
>>44080704
I would do something like the following:
Cut the range to 150 ft. at max (a 300ft. line is pretty ridiculous; it'll hardly ever see its full potential, but if it does, it'll wreck everything - the large variance in effect makes the spell hard to balance);
Increase the damage on save (to half on save, so it becomes more comparable with other spells);
Cut the component cost (so we can reduce the damage to a level again comparable with other spells);
And put it somewhere around 10d8 (Chain Lightning - 6th level spell which hits a maximum of 10 targets, with a fair degree of reliably) to 12d6 (Sunburst - 8th level spell that hits a 60 ft. radius and blinds for a minute; also, Delayed Blast Fireball base damage).

Dealing much more damage than that unbalances things; you're literally paying to win at that stage - just shell out 500gp and a slot to wreck any enemy. Nor do you want to spend all those resources only to have the enemy make the save. That doesn't feel good for anyone.

That said, why can't you just use Sunbeam if you want to Master Spark?
>>
Wanting to make a magic missile variant with fire damage too- is it enough just to change the type, or would that weaken it, going from force to fire?
>>
>>44080889
Those are definitely hooves but your right in saying those aren't goat legs. I should get my eyes checked. After actually taking a good look at the picture it seems to be like they tried to cross hooves with something resembling Ballerina shoes. The cross ribbons and the rounded look on the hoof tips is what gives me that impression. I may be wrong, I'm not the artist, but that a what it looks like.
>>
>>44080960
It would weaken it since fire is one of the more resisted damage types, but if you want it and your DM is fine making it then I don't see why not.
>>
>>44080931
Oh wait, I forgot about the loss of an action.

Bump up the die sizes of the damage by one or two as well.

Damage upfront is always better than damage over time, so a spell that deal all its damage on the first of two turns one that deal it equally over two, or fully on the second.

And, of course, you're still free to cast bonus action spells on the second turn. Not an overly large mitigating factor, but still one of note.
>>
>>44080960
Fire is the most resisted type of damage only under poison. If you change magic missle to fire I would increase the damage die to D6 or D8.
>>
>>44080931

I'm wanting to keep the component cost, but not wanting it to be something easily acquired- (It's the death-smoke from an Ifreeti). From where you *can* get it, sure, maybe 500gp, but unless you're going around killing Ifreeti's yourself it's no easy thing to get.

I'm not married to 300ft., but considering the size of the beam I'm no fan of raising the save damage- in some respects I'd like it to be closer to a disintegrate spell. Or a halfway house. If the player wastes 500gp on a no-show, well, that'll just make up for the times where they beam through 40 skeletons or so.

If anything, I would rather increase the consumable cost and preserve a damaging outcome than the other way around. We can't operate under the hypothetical that a player will have infinite money to use this spell because, frankly, they won't.
>>
>>44081082

I was thinking 1d4+2 instead of 1d4+1. Not enough though?
>>
>>44080960
While fire is more commonly resisted than force, this only a general mean of all the numerous varieties of monsters.

I wouldn't buff the damage, unless you, as a DM, know beforehand that fire resistance is going to appear with decent regularity. But if you're only going to be sending regular orc marauders at your players, you can probably just leave it at 1d4+1. Otherwise, the variant becomes strictly better than vanilla Magic Missile at no cost.

Similarly, if you're a player, ask your DM if elemental resistance is going to be a common occurrence, and whether it warrants a buff on the variant. If fire resistance doesn't show up, you're getting a buff for no reason.
>>
>>44081132

Thanks for the feedback, by the way, forgot to mention that.It's too easy for online discussions to get frustrating and I wouldn't want a discussion to get out of hand or for people to think I'm not taking all this onboard and they've wasted their time replying.
>>
>>44081184

That's probably fair.

I'm actually making these for an NPC to potentially give/teach to a player, so I'm just bandying my options around. If they're too broken, then it's an easy enough task to keep the genie in the bottle, so to speak.
>>
>>44081132
I'm just going to say again and upfront that I really don't like this. Most nova abilities have safeguards in place - such as only being expended on a hit, like the Paladin's Smite, or half damage on a save, like most damage spells - precisely to avoid players expending large amounts of resources to no effect. You can say that it makes up for wrecking enemies when it succeeds, but they just makes them steal the show half the time - not making it fun for the rest of the party - and fail hard the other half - not making it fun for them. But I'll assume you're set on this.

Changing it too much from a default spell makes it hard to estimate what effects it should have. But alright, let's suppose we modify the Lightning Bolt spell, cast at 6th level, which would deal 11d6 damage.

We have 3 penalties relative to that spell - the lack of half damage on save; the gp cost and the loss of an action. Contrarily, the spell has an increased range of 300 ft. The new range basically triples the potential damage of the spell - but won't under most circumstances, since no one is going to line up 60 enemies in a straight line for you. For the sake of simplicity, let's say the loss of half damage (which cuts the average damage by slightly less than a third) balances out the increase in range.

Now we need to balance out a 500 gp expenditure. For reference, Circle of Death is a 6th level spell that also consumes 500gp worth of components. It deals 8d6 damage, which is less than the 11d6 suggested for multi-target 6th level spells, but has a 60 foot radius instead of the normal 20 feet. This potentially multiplies the damage by 9, but we can again assume the actual effective damage increase to be far less. As with above, we'll halve it and assume an approximate four-and-a-half times effective increase in damage, which coupled with the approximate third dropped from 11d6 to 8d6, means that our spell should now deal around 33d6 damage.
>>
>>44081515
Lastly, we need to account for the loss of an action. There's no real way to estimate what effect this will have, so I'll just go with my above suggestion and bump the die up a size. This comes out to a roll of 33d8 for damage.

Since no one likes rolling 33 dice, we could perhaps bring out 90 from the average of 148.5 and roll 13d8+90 damage. This also serves to stabilize the average somewhat, which will help you balance encounters to maybe not get completely wrecked.

An alternative you might want to consider (though I don't know how it would affect the damage at all) is requiring targets to succeed on two different saves against two different abilities to avoid the spell. This would again provide some stability in the damage, which would hopefully make it more enjoyable for players to use, and again help you balance encounters.
>>
>>44080985
They're not even slightly hooves. Hooves are just toenails--they're sure as hell not contiguous with the flesh of the leg. There's no delineation here between toe and nail. In general, toes also continue past the hoof into the foot proper, which also doesn't seem to be going on here.
>>
>>44081729
Wat?

In seriousness it may not be a "proper" hoof but it looks much more like goat hoof than anything else I can think of it being.
>>
>>44081612

Rather than two different saves, wouldn't rolling just the one but at disadvantage be better?

Also, would it be better to have it so they spend an action first round, then fire it with a second action, so charging up, rather than recovering? It might give the rest of the party a bit more leeway in what they're doing, and have more thought on the caster's part if they actually want to do it or not.
>>
How are Tiger Barbarians? Being really good at jumping sounds cool in theory but I don't know the usefulness.
>>
>>44080514
But Hyper Beam has 150 power.
>>
>>44082290
Shit, I was thinking solar beam but that's not how that works is it.
>>
>>44082006
>Rather than two different saves, wouldn't rolling just the one but at disadvantage be better?
I suppose. Though, targetting a single ability score, even with disadvantage, makes it easy to no-sell the spell by having a high score in that particular ability score. On the other hand, targetting two different saves makes it far more likely that at least one of them will be with a low bonus, and therefore far more likely that using the spell will be worthwhile. Still, disadvantage works, and is far easier to determine the effect of. I don't know why I didn't think of it. Disadvantage is approximately a -4 to the roll, which translates (unless I have my math wrong; it is somewhat late where I am) to a loss of one-fifth of average damage.

Spending the action on the first round and casting on the second would mean we'd need to increase the damage further due to the delayed effect. By all means do so, but I'm not sure you really want to increase the damage from its current level - 33d6 damage is basically more than any other spell in the game. Perhaps tag on some other condition instead?
>>
>>44081729
>This amount of pedantry over an imaginary slut.
>>
>>44073254
Has anyone attempted to make crafting rules that don't suck as bad as the default crafting rules?
>>
File: Rune_defender_detail.png (110 KB, 558x782) Image search: [Google]
Rune_defender_detail.png
110 KB, 558x782
Would you let your player refluff a shield into a parrying dagger?
>>
My playgroup is in the middle of running dawn of worlds. It's a blast so far, but the world is turning out to be very chaotic, with 8 plus races added by the players, in addition to the standard DnD races.

I'm going to discuss it with my players, but I don't want to make the races they made playable. Instead, I might incorporate them into the setting as actual races of divine creation, while the standard DnD races are more like low powered half breeds and shit.

If the players aren't agreeable, the other option would be to try and hash out 8 custom DnD races and keep them in line with the in game ones.

Any advice on this situation?
>>
>>44082501
Unless there was a good reason, no.
>>
>>44082501
Sure, I'm currently refluffing my full plated greatsword swinger paladin as an unarmored and unarmed monk
>>
>>44082501
I don't see why not.
>>
>>44082501
If the parrying dagger acts exactly the same mechanically as the shield, no problem.

If he wants to do other non-shield stuff with it as well, then he should say so before using it in play to make sure it's not too broken.
>>
>>44082501
Yes, but I'd tell him upfront that the parrying dagger would still mechanically be a shield, and would therefore take an action to don, make attacks as an improvised weapon and so forth.

Either that, or I'd have him go on a harrowing quest to find the mystical dagger that grants its wielder a powerful barrier that deflects all but the most accurate or powerful of attacks (+3 AC bonus which does not stack with worn shields).
>>
>>44082547
There is the Don/Doff issue, with both taking an action with the shield while it doesn't take an action to drop a parrying knife.

There's other minor inequalities where a knife is superior to a shield, but overall, I think it's close enough to be not really an issue, especially past level 5.
>>
>>44082517
Tell them flat out that you don't feel confident in your ability to properly balance homebrews of their races for player characters, and that you'd appreciate if they used the default races for their characters.

Hopefully they like you enough not to pressure you to do something you're not able to.
>>
>>44082559
>>44082589
>>44082596
Obviously I asked this question wondering how dumb of an idea it would be to ask my DM if I could refluff a shield into a parrying dagger. Of course, I'd want to keep all the same shield rules and all that, I mostly wanted to refluff it because I wanted to make a sort of swashbuckler/fencer character but not necessarily make him dual-wield.
>>
>>44082697
You want to NOT make him dual-wield, and consequently give him a parrying dagger?

Why not a hard metal bracer of some kind?
>>
>>44082639
Yeah, that's basically my plan. I think they'll understand.
>>
>>44082697
why not just have it be a buckler?
>>
>>44082697
Don, that you?
>>
>>44082697
Doesnt the +1 AC from dual wielder represent using the off hand to parry attacks?
>>
>>44082501
By putting a dagger in your off-hand and getting Two-Weapon Master feat.
>>
>>44082501
>shield to shield-like object
Sure
>shield to weapon, even if it is a defensive weapon
Probably not
>>
File: Sword of 1,000 Truths.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sword of 1,000 Truths.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>44082895
>have to roll a thousand different die every time you attack

Nope.
>>
>>44082895
>shitty meme sword from a shitty meme show about a shitty meme game, all for shitty meme babies
>>
File: agrippa-rapier-dagger.png (83 KB, 496x330) Image search: [Google]
agrippa-rapier-dagger.png
83 KB, 496x330
>>44082772
>>44082784
>>44082815
I was more going for using the dagger as a strictly defensive weapon, and focusing on the rapier as the main weapon of attack, sort of like pic related.

>>44082804
Nope.
>>
>>44082957
>shitting on somebody's harmless shenanigans
Are you twelve?
>>
File: UMMM.gif (847 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
UMMM.gif
847 KB, 500x281
>tfw you get crits on both of a multiattacking creature's attacks against one PC
>tfw you make a 5-vs.-1 encounter for the first battle new players are in and drop both of their characters
>>
File: kenku5.jpg (18 KB, 432x411) Image search: [Google]
kenku5.jpg
18 KB, 432x411
how would you homebrew a Kenku in 5e? Just take the stats and traits from 4e?
>>
>>44083052
5 enemies against one player or the other way around? 5E vs 1PC will always end bad unless you are a fighter, a cleric, a Paladian.even then it can be quite difficult.

Also outside of fudging dice there was nothing you could do about the crits. That's just bad luck for the PC. It happens.
>>
>>44083145
Nah, it was five PCs (level 4) vs. one monster (CR 5, a shambling mound). Those slams are brutal and so is the engulf when it always hit and almost always dropped the PCs to zero in one turn. Luckily they had enough healing and luck to get through without dying.

So theoretical lesson now in practice: never put a party against a creature of a CR higher than their average level, even if it works out to a medium encounter.
>>
>>44076379
Located on the southern edges of the Shining South, and hemmed in by mountains all around, the magocracy of Halruaa is a bizarre land to most in Faerun who know about it. Many folk have heard of the strange skyships the Halruaans sail, and a few know of the tales that even the least of their people can work magic.
Halruaans usually make their journeys into Faerun for personal reasons, since their government has a strict stance against unauthorized involvement with other nations and organizations. You might have been exiled for breaking one of Halruaa's many byzantine laws, or you could be a pilgrim who seeks the shrines of the gods of magic.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1440287240951.jpg (32 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440287240951.jpg
32 KB, 500x400
>>44083247
Sounds like a good plan to me. On the bright side after a challenge like than I'm sure they Got a pretty solid reward.
>>
>>44083247
There's nothing wrong with a strong boss encounter.

Shambling Mound is slow as shit so its the player's fault for getting into its range
>>
>>44083052
PCs getting OK'd on a medium single isn't abnormal, especially for noobs. It's the only way they'll learn the value of teamwork.
I often send new players through an arena encounter with premades, so they understand the rules of the game better and get a feel for what they want to play.

>>44083247
>So theoretical lesson now in practice: never put a party against a creature of a CR higher than their average level, even if it works out to a medium encounter.

Don't throw shitloads of low CRs at noobs. They'll get seriously fucked up if the magic user is a dumb ass.
Do it.
>>
File: Das_it_mane.jpg (107 KB, 575x825) Image search: [Google]
Das_it_mane.jpg
107 KB, 575x825
>>44079576
My party killed a phase spider and the ranger collected the silk sac in hopes for paying their master tinker homie that has enchanting connections to do something with it. The tinker ended bringing them a bow that when an arrow is shot from it, the arrow phases out of the material plane and reappears at wherever the user was aiming. So there was minimal time to target and also no arrow drop (sorta like a gun I guess). It required the user practice with it (attune) due to its unique trajectory.

A cool idea I had for when he rolled a 1 on an attack roll was that the arrow would never phase back into the material plane. On a 20, multiple arrows would phase in on the target (possibly the ones that never phased back in?).
>>
>>44082378

Yeah a condition seems more reasonable- a point of fatigue? Seems like it would prevent overabuse somewhat.
>>
Is the Spell-less Ranger variant better than the default Ranger?
>>
I have a question. What is the point of nystul's magic aura?

It feels so incredibly specific if you try to do anything else but hide your magical presence to enemies.
>>
>>44083490
It's a nice fluff spell to have. It'll only come up in specific instances.
>>
>>44083490
Depending on how your read it it the Mask ability of it could make any enemy be effected by your dragonslayer or sword or let protection from good and evil guard you against that dragon you are fighting. No save on it either.
>>
File: wallpaper_Bugbear.jpg (742 KB, 1000x1454) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_Bugbear.jpg
742 KB, 1000x1454
May seem like a stupid question but are there any archives of all the art in the core books?
>>
Can anyone explain why some spells are to-hit and others are save? It doesn't seem to conform to AOE or single target, nor it does it seem to be based on element/magic school.
>>
>>44083247 Our first session with our current dm a pc got downed by a swarm of beetles due to a crit. Upped the stakes and help build teamwork. Dm keeps enemy rolls hidden now, which is unfortunate, but otherwise it was a good thing.
>>
File: ill tell u.jpg (25 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
ill tell u.jpg
25 KB, 300x237
>>44084350
looking for consistency in what a wizard can do? what are you, some kind of 4e wowbabby? go back to skyrim.
>>
>>44084350
It's an old D&D staple, that has lost meaning over the years, due to the changes made in how attacks work, and the fact that character buffs are easier to get in some classes than they used to be.

In theory, they way it was supposed to work was that spells made for lower levels would require saves, as most enemies had at least a 50% chance to fail those saves. The higher level spells used attack rolls, since as characters gained levels, saves became easier and easier to make for themselves and enemies.

Truly powerful spells often required both though, but they were less "deal damage" and more "I win, fuck off."
>>
>>44084528
if 5e's math wasn't complete garbage pulled directly from mike mearls's asshole he wouldn't need to hide the dice : ^ )
>>
>>44084350
Almost all attack roll spells are single target or failing that a burst of single target rays or a single target attack with a cleave or something.

AC is the abstraction for armor and/or dodging.

Saves are the abstraction for a more specific test. You can't armor out of a mind affecting spell, and your armor doesn't help against lightning bolts or dragon fire.
>>
>>44084615
Uhhh dex saves are almost synonymous with dodging shit.
>>
>>44083089
I think the Kenku are statted out in the DMG for 5e iirc
>>
>>44081132
Material component costs are impossible to balance around because every campaign is different. We don't know how much gold you give out, or how miserly your party is. We don't know how easy it is to find the market for E-Feet smoke in your game. Just follow the advice for the spell as outline above, and then tack on one more die to represent the fact that it required the PC to have a specific, consumable spell component on hand.

Now, what are you doing for your martials?
>>
>>44084658
AC is dodging things that are the size of a regular weapon, Dex is dodging things that are bigger then you.
>>
File: exotic weapons v0-2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
exotic weapons v0-2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Just put this out, take a look.
>>
How can I get my cautious players to take on something visibly beyond their reach? Well out of their CR ranking?

I plan on giving them the tools and advantages necessary to do it. (Terrain advantage, predictable behaviors, etc) I just don't want them calling it a day and going home when something awesome could happen instead.
>>
>>44085618
>How can I get my cautious players to take on something visibly beyond their reach? Well out of their CR ranking?

By giving them a reason to do it.

The princess is worth saving from impossible odds, if you give a damn about the princess.
>>
>>44085648
Obviously. The problem is this thing is going to come a bit out of nowhere, and I don't just want them buggering off to bring an army.
>>
>>44085689
Then you obviously put some sort of time limit constraint on it. Do they really have time to get an army when the captors are planning to sacrifice the princess for some ritual that takes place at midnight?
>>
>>44082330
you done goofed
>>
>>44082501
i wouldn't no, its too far for me.

maybe i'd let him get away with a +1 AC or something. but why would a parrying dagger have a bonus action to don or doff or whatever?

idk its just a little too much refluff for me.
>>
>>44082973
also to be fair if you had a dagger in your off hand and the dual wielding feat you get +1 to your AC, which I think is what would represent what you're talking about best, rather than a parrying dagger
>>
>>44085582
>exotic weapons
no
>>
>>44085582
i just don't think giving up martial weapon proficiency for exotic weapons is a good idea

anyone who gets every weapon should just be proficient with exotic weapons and you add whatever makes sense to other lists. they can pick up weapon master if they really want a different weapon.

also, this isn't youre fault, but i just hate how finesse works in 5e. i've said it before but like the finesse/strength weapon divide is stupid, i wish it worked how it did in 3.5. it just makes some weapons totally unusable, some totally more powerful than they really should be, and idk. sucks.
>>
>>44084028
It's only to spells and features which DETECT magic, not proc off of (excepting Symbol spell).

You could probably perform some shenanigans with Nystul + Symbol
>>
How do I play a Binder in 5e?
Anything that could be heavily refluffed into working like it?
>>
>>44084577
A Beetle swarm can do 20 (8d4) if it crits so it's not out there
>>
File: papyrus.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
papyrus.png
10 KB, 500x500
What are peoples thoughts on the Undying warlock pact in SCAG?
>>
>>44086490
A bit shit.
>>
>>44086032
>I hate how finesse works because it makes some weapons totally unusable
>I prefer 3.5, where dexterity characters couldn't hurt people in melee.
You're backwards. Finesse weaponry was one of the most obvious design choices for 5e to bring with them from 4e.
>>
>>44086148
Ask your DM if you can make a homebrew path that lets you change your invocations. That's the the most straightforward way I can think of.

There's nothing that exist at the moment for 'character that changes his abilities every day' except for Wizards, Clerics, and Druids, who change their spells every day.
>>
>>44086490
It's fantastic for dipping into warlock from another class (usually sorcerer or paladin).

It's alright on it's own, but you still have the issue of being a warlock.

Speaking of warlocks, why the fuck are the spells in the new UA not also warlock spells?
>>
>>44086899
As explained in a previous thread, here's what Mearls' though process was probably like:

"Huh, I guess warlocks should get these spells too. They do make pact with demons, after all. Well, those with the Fiend patron, at least. Actually, only like half of those, since The Fiend also covers Devils. Hmm, can't just give these spells to only 1/6 of the Patrons. That wouldn't be fair. That settles it, warlocks aren't getting these spells."
>>
>>44086570
thats just like your opinion man

my thoughts are basically that they did what they had to do to not make feats a requirement for dex characters, but i just dont like that with no investment dex characters are as good as str chracters but need less stats.

im not so mad about it that like im insisting in my games that we change finesse. i'm on the losing side of history, whatever.
>>
File: 309295_1285782479_large.jpg (549 KB, 906x1226) Image search: [Google]
309295_1285782479_large.jpg
549 KB, 906x1226
Made a homebrew Greek Soldier as a fighter archetype. I have no idea what to do for the lvl 7 feature.
HOPLITE
The Hoplite is trained to be as fluid as the sea. Ever changing to suit the needs of combat, they emulate the water as an indomitable tidal wave to a cutting river. Hoplites are based around the ancient style of shielded combat, utilizing the speed of melee strikes combined with the sturdy defense of a stalwart shield.

Pre-requisite: Two-weapon fighting style

Offensive Defenses
When you choose this archetype at level 3, any shield you use is considered a weapon for the purposes of attacking. A shield uses 1d6 and is considered a light finesse weapon.

Shield Bash
Starting at level 3, whenever you take the attack action, you may substitute one of your attacks with a shield bash, granting advantage on the next weapon attack you make against the target.

Level 7?

Retaliate
Starting at level 10, you can Retaliate. Whenever you take the Dodge Action and are attacked, you may use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that target.

Improved Shield Bash
Starting at level 15, when you Shield Bash, you deal an additional 1d6 Bludgeoning damage

Tidal Motion
Starting at level 18, when an enemy attack misses, you may move up to 5 ft. in any direction without provoking an attack of opportunity from the attacking enemy.

Ideas?
>>
>>44087057
You directly stated that you don't like finesse because it makes some weapons unusable, the opposite is true.

Also, str and dex characters use the same number of stats, just a trade-off between the upper limit of damage, and a higher initiative.
>>
>>44087076
Since you made it finesse

While using a shield, your AC is increased by an additional 2. You can only use this feature if not wearing heavy armor. At level 13 this bonus increases to 3.
>>
>>44087137
I had something like this, but apparently at level 7, fighter archetypes need to have some sort of Exploration/Interaction feature according to WotC.

I had a couple of ideas but they ended up making the Shield Master feat and the Soldier background redundant.
>>
>>44087076
Seems like the core of your concept can be taken care of by the Shield Master feat. There's nothing distinctive enough in here to warrant a subclass.

I don't know much about hoplites except that they fought in formations. Maybe try to work with that. Also, Javelins, right? Maybe work those in somehow. For a level 7 feature, think about greek society, and try to make a utility feature inspired by it.
>>
>>44073254
>Play Transmuter
>Enlarge "person"
>Turn "mud" to stone
Are the other schools of magic even trying?
>>
>>44073254
Anybody ever radically shaken up the wizard specializations? I was thinking of scraping the standard ones, and having wizard specialties be based on traditions passed down from great masters. So I would prune the normal wizard list and give each of the traditions an expanded list that included some overlap between them.
>>
>>44087306
One of the main points of the wizard class is that they have a lot of versatility in their spell selection. However, if you forced them to be a bit more focused that could certainly be interesting, and could be balanced by giving them another ability within the first five levels, or by slightly upping the power on a couple abilities.
>>
>>44087306
Remove Sorcerer, make Wizard subclasses focussed around ritual casting (ability to cast certain spells as rituals, combines Divination and Transmuation as a focus), metamagic (manipulating your spells, focussed on Abjuration and Evocation), minions (Necromancy and Conjuration) and control (Enchantment and Illusion).

Or keep them as they are, and have said great masters each be masters of a specific school of spells. And Bladesinging be that funny thing Elves do.
>>
>>44087127
eh ok ok you got me

idk i don't like finesse coz im an ass i guess

i think i mostly just dislike the guy who can fight but has 8 strength is what it really boils down to

clearly i could think this whole position through more
>>
>>44087396
You're on 4chan, so the word you're looking for is 'autistic'.
>>
Give Wild Mage more spell slots BUT they don't learn spells and instead roll for their spells each long rest
>>
>>44087421
You're an absolute madman.
>>
File: 1449699921105.jpg (89 KB, 900x665) Image search: [Google]
1449699921105.jpg
89 KB, 900x665
>>44087409
thanks
>>
>>44087429
It sounds fun though, doesn't it?
>>
>>44087441
IF you can make a program that randomly rolls the spells for you, the yes, absolutely. Otherwise anywhere past level 5, you're going to spend a lot of time just rolling for spells manually.
>>
>>44087463
http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm
>>
>>44085582
You should change the name of gauntlets to grappler gauntlets or something like that. You can already make an unarmed strike while wearing gauntlets and they need no proficiency.
>>
>>44087504
A simple dice roller doesn't exactly cut it, does it? You need to determine the number of spells of each level you roll for, since you don't actually learn spells.
>>
>>44087559
Just let the player choose how many they roll for
>>
>>44073254
Divination and Evocation should swap positions.
>>
>>44087601
That doesn't sound very WILD anon.
>>
>>44087618
Make them roll for how many spell slots they have available every day too.
>>
>>44087672
No I just want to give them more straight up. Its the advantage they get for having random spells
>>
3rd level Bard here, am I missing something with the Vicious Mockery cantrip?
It just seems like a meh thing to use an entire action on, considering it 'only' does 1d4 damage and give disadvantage on a single attack roll?
>>
File: SampleSM.jpg (2 MB, 1578x2538) Image search: [Google]
SampleSM.jpg
2 MB, 1578x2538
>>44087827
its a free way to save your parties ass from heavy attackers, while still dealing damage

on a class that doesnt get tons of damage options right out the box

its not the perfect spell every time, but its usefule, and you can still use one of your myriad bonus action abilities or spells while casting it.
>>
>>44087827
Great against something like an Ogre which does a large amount of damage in a single attack and has low Wis to boot
>>
>>44087849
idk what happened to my typing on this post, sorry to everyone who has to read it
>>
>>44087223

>Play necromancer
>make people dead, then animate them
>curses have infinite duration

Please. You transmuters are pretty good, but we've got this handled.
>>
File: ninja is you subserious.jpg (99 KB, 688x666) Image search: [Google]
ninja is you subserious.jpg
99 KB, 688x666
>>44087878
>>curses have infinite duration
>>
>>44087849
>>44087855
Oh, that makes more sense then.
Thanks!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.