[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For the gun nuts & /k/ommandos here, how would you "realistically"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: YHrET.png (243 KB, 800x516) Image search: [Google]
YHrET.png
243 KB, 800x516
For the gun nuts & /k/ommandos here, how would you "realistically" handle aiming & shooting (single shot, repeating-action guns, semi-auto, burst-fire, full-auto, etc)? Is it more realistic to have autofire make you less accurate/less likely to hit from recoil, or more likely to hit from the volume of fire?

One thing I've noticed in the RPGs I play is how generalized aiming is. There's no difference between hip-shooting, aiming, and then taking your time to /really/ aim. The first or second is assumed to be the default, and then aim-actions are dedicated to the latter.
>>
File: 1447906905057.jpg (119 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1447906905057.jpg
119 KB, 1600x900
>>
>>44072002
>There's no difference between hip-shooting, aiming, and then taking your time to /really/ aim.

Stop playing those RPG's then.
>>
>>44072481
well which do you recommend? how do they handle autofire and aiming?
>>
File: Equipment & Quickref.jpg (2 MB, 1773x1928) Image search: [Google]
Equipment & Quickref.jpg
2 MB, 1773x1928
The same way traveller handles it:

>Can spend 1 minor action to Aim, for a +1 to your attack roll.
>Can spend 3 turns aiming and get up to a +6 max
>Semi, Burst and Auto fire
>Semi uses 1 round, does standard damage
>Burst fire adds [weapons auto rating] to damage, uses [weapons auto rating] worth of ammo (usually 4 to 6 rounds)
>Full auto, allows for a number of attacks equal to half [weapons auto rating]. These attacks can be made on targets within 6 meters of each other. (Spray and pray) uses 3 x [weapons auto rating] ammo
>Weapons have recoil
>If your strength isn't equal to the recoil being given by the weapon, you lose initiative next round only
>Burst and Auto fire have more recoil

So essentially you can have the situation where a weak guy fires an assault rifle on full auto, it goes havoc and misses a bunch of targets, then the firer spends the next combat round recovering from having his gun jump all over the place, putting him at the bottom of the initiative pile (depending on how slow the enemy is)

Weapon skill is also limited in the auto fire. You can only use max of +1 for each attack. That way you can't "snipe" while firing fully automatic.

Full auto is very poor for actually getting hits (just like real life), but can cause multiple enemies to dodge or react in some way. You can use it for suppressing fire in this way. But if you really want to hit something, you take time to aim and use either burst or semi auto firing modes.

Check out the mongoose core book if you're interested. The Traveller system is great for modern gun battles, very deadly and accurate rendition of gun combat. Its made for sci fi, but can handle anything from vikings to napoleonics, to modern, to future, as its made to cover a variety of tech levels.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (498 KB, 657x862) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
498 KB, 657x862
>>44072575
Cyberpunk 2020, Phoenix Command, Twilight 2000; hell even GURPS would be worth a look.
>>
>>44072575
GURPS
>>
>>44072578
I don't think it's doing "normal" aiming though. You can aim down sights, shoot multiple times and you"ll still be aiming your gun IRL. A lot of RPGs kind of make it out to be that you shoot and then constantly re-adjust/take the time to aim again between shots even at a stationary target. It's as if they assume the only way to aim a gun is to act like a sniper or whatever.
>>
>>44072575
>well which do you recommend? how do they handle autofire and aiming?
If you want firearms realism, play phoenix command, spectrum small arms or firebird headquarters (when it is released).

But other systems....
NOPE
>>
>>44072002

Lots of RPGs aren't about the experience of simulating a gun-fight in the kind of detail only an enthusiast could appreciate, so they smartly don't bog down their rules with that kind of thing.

For inspiration on how to do it realistically you might want to look at the /hwg/ thread and some of their miniatures skirmish games from ww1 onwards.

If you want a very simple solution, just take a free kriegsspiel approach. The character says what they try to do, then an experienced judge determines what the likely results are (maybe using randomization as an aid). The system will be exactly as realistic as the judge is knowledgeable, and it also won't take ages to resolve.
>>
>>44072697
I'm not looking for a semi-freeform approach. I thought that was a given with my thread. At the same time I'm not looking to play something actually unplayable without being a rocket scientist (phoenix command).
>>
File: 1342792-1355089615.jpg (747 KB, 1550x800) Image search: [Google]
1342792-1355089615.jpg
747 KB, 1550x800
>>
Look into traveller, you can spend time aiming and attach sights to your gun to improve chances of actually hitting.
Or you can rush it, take penalties to hit target but save time and potentially shoot twice.
>>
>>44072002
I actually really like D20 modern's take on this.
Normal attack is a single aimed shot.
Double tap / burst fire add additional dice of the weapon's type to damage, but penalize accuraccy (not entirely realistic, but makes the decision meaningful).
Full auto targets an area, you need to make a relatively easy attack roll to be on target, and then enemies in the area make reflex saves against the weapon's damage.
>>
>>44072612
Do any systems use a mechanic where you get "aimed status" that only breaks when you or the target move or if something distracts you (like getting hit yourself).
>>
>>44072002
GURPS comes close enough.
You have to roll under your skill on 3d6 to hit, with the skill level being modified by various things. You can shoot from the hip, aim for a second, or aim longer to get bigger bonuses, and if you fire multiple times in one round you must succeed on your test by multiples of your gun's recoil to hit with multiple bullets.

Example:
>modified rifle skill is 13
>I fire 3 shots with my Colt M4A1 (recoil 2)
>I roll 10
I hit with two shots, but the third goes wild. If I'd rolled 9 or under, all 3 would have hit.

Automatic fire can grant bonuses to hit, but only when you're laying down a ton of fire per round.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.