[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone played this game? I read through the rulebook and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: cover.png (707 KB, 960x370) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
707 KB, 960x370
Anyone played this game? I read through the rulebook and I'm pretty excited about it. What do you guys think of it?
>>
My friends and I play it pretty often

Have not won a game yet as a group, but the traitor has a couple of times

Never trust the fucking dog
>>
>>44069642
How varied are the traitor cards and how similar are they to the normal objectives? Like after a few games will you easily be able to figure out who the betrayed is and what their objective is?
>>
>>44069668
There's quite a few, and it's by random draw. It's actually pretty difficult to figure out most of the time.
>>
>>44069830
Awesome. Can't wait to try it out
>>
>>44069614
It's fun enough.

I don't really like the betrayal mechanic. Other traitor games encourage small acts of deception throughout the game. This gives other players an opportunity to spot suspicious activity. There's no reason to do this in DoW. Far easier and more effective to nova, killing as many characters as possible, emptying the food supply, and overloading the trash. There's no real satisfaction to that sort of twist.

A few other minor problems, but the traitor element is really the worst for me. Otherwise, they nail the fluff pretty well. And if you luck out and no one's a traitor than the game is solid.
>>
>>44069614
Owner of my FLGS speaks highly of it, and I trust his judgement. He steered me into buying Mysterium and that was a hell of a good purchase, so I think he knows his shit.
>>
>>44069989
Sweet
>>
>>44069957
Really? The traitor mechanic is actually what I was most looking forward to. And since everyone acts kind of odd because of their objective it would cause everyone to be suspicious of everyone
>>
>>44069614
Yeah, its hell of a lot of fun, prepared to not personally win a lot though.
>>
>>44069614
My group has enjoyed the game so far. You can play it without any traitor cards as well and some of the missions will still be extremely challenging. Even with the traitor cards, there's no guarantee that you'll actually have a traitor in any given game.
>>
Played several games. It's fun. The only thing I don't like is that in all of our games no one has ever voted to exile because it's never even obvious that there is a betrayer, let alone who it is.
For anyone else who might be interested but doesn't like games with traitors, there's a co-op variant that is also fun.
>>
>>44070160
>And since everyone acts kind of odd because of their objective it would cause everyone to be suspicious of everyone
No, everyone has a secret objective. And everyone knows everyone has a secret objective. There's nothing suspicious in people pursuing that objective. There's also very, very rarely any time that pursuing a secret objective requires putting the group in danger.

As a traitor, it's never in your interest to sabotage little by little. For one, your objective changes if you're caught. So there's no reason to risk it because all those cards you've been collecting might be useless if you're expelled from the group. Second, tanking morale is far too easy. There's too many things you can do all in a single turn to completely cripple the group. And if you're last in the round, such that no one else can respond and attempt to correct the damage you've done, there's nothing there to hold you back.

This isn't to say DoW is bad all around. Like I said, I still think it's a solid game. But what sells it is its commitment to the concept, not the traitor angle. If you're looking for that, I'd recommend something like Dark Moon.
>>
Pretty fun overall. Have only played a few times.

Too hard to tell who traitors and such are, no way to ferret it out that I know of. I know they're supposed to be secret but in the half dozen times I've played there's literally no way to tell.
>>
General feeling here seems to be the same as in my extended gaming group - the traitor and secret objective part is meh at best.
>>
>>44069957
Battlestar Galactica's treachery mechanism is no less sudden. Also, on my experience it's hard to get to a point where one act of violence is sufficient to tank morale before they have the chance to exile you.

Premature tanking means you now have another objective to fill. If you came too close to crushing morale, you might not have time. If you didn't get close enough it might just be one big fuckup.
>>
>>44070589
>Battlestar Galactica's treachery mechanism is no less sudden.
Betrayal is sudden. That's the point. The difference between a game like BSG and DoW is that the former still allows for and encourages small acts of treachery throughout the game. The latter does not.

Precisely for this reason:
>Premature tanking means you now have another objective to fill.
This ensures in DoW that betrayers will not risk being found out as that necessarily changes their goals. Whereas in BSG, being caught is a setback. It prevents you from using your reveal ability, but it doesn't radically change your ultimate goal.

>Also, on my experience it's hard to get to a point where one act of violence is sufficient to tank morale before they have the chance to exile you.
I suspect that you either have not played very many games, or haven't considered the wealth of options for tanking morale. You can sacrifice your own survivors by taking risky trips and making as much noise as possible. This can be enough to tank morale all on its own depending on how many survivors you've accumulated. You can fill the trash with junk cards (afterall, they won't be needed when you win). You can eat all the food in the base and have the group succumb to starvation.

Any single one of these can be a serious enough blow on it's own. But in DoW you're afforded the opportunity to do them all at once. In BSG, you're far more limited on the number of actions you can take each turn.
>>
>>44069614
Get the Pegasus expansion!
>>
The difficult part of being the betrayer isn't tanking morale, it's tanking morale while completing your objective and not getting exiled, therefore getting a new objective which may screw you if the game ends too soon.

The traitor objectives are all harder than the loyal objectives for a reason.

There definitely are times where the betrayer win is easy, but it's a rare thing that happens sometimes due to luck of the draw, not the standard. Experience is so relevant in noticing the betrayer that I always play the first game with new people betrayer-free so they can get the rules figured out first without worrying about it, then bring the betrayer in the next game.
>>
>>44069957
>Other traitor games encourage small acts of deception throughout the game.

Exactly this. I've only played it once, but we went directly from "We don't know whether or not there's a traitor" to "Oh, the traitor won."
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.