[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is our hobby stereotyped with foul body odor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 21
File: Great_Unclean_One.jpg (147 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
Great_Unclean_One.jpg
147 KB, 800x680
Why is our hobby stereotyped with foul body odor?
>>
>>44069007
Because sadly people who tend to play traditional games tend to be introverted people or shut-ins, who tend to have poor concepts of hygiene.

It's not even a conscious thing, I think some people just really don't know that they smell, especially if they're not around people much.
>>
People tend to pick our the worst quality of the worst person associated with what they are stereotyping. I can think of things worse than odor, but most people cringe at bad smells, and don't want to be associated with that.
And there are lots of smelly people who are into /tg/ related stuff. A game store I used to go to had, I kid you not, posters reminding the gamers to bathe properly.
>>
>>44069007
Positive correlation.

Also big gaming venues aren't picked for ventilation or fragrance but price and number of wall sockets.
>>
its not just the poor concept of hygene. I find many sportsmen also have a musk, but are either outside so its not overpowering, or just look like they were doing physical activity even if they weren't.

its not a hard concept, every hobby has its hopless romantic, its foul smelling troglidite and its min-maxer.
>>
>>44069025
This. You get used to your own smell, and who gives a fuck if you stink when you're NEET?
>>
>>44069007
Stereotypes are based in truth.
>>
>>44069244

This is truth, I used to go to a comic store to play Magic and 40k and they had at least one paper taped on the wall talking about how people would be asked to leave if they smelled.
>>
>>44069205

The overwhelmingly common argument I've heard is that bathing is a, "Waste of time." Like, they seem to think that bathing is not something that's worth the time spend doing it, so don't. I guess that makes sense when you can't smell your own funk, but when your clothes are also dirty and your whole body is greasy as fuck?

Frankly, I think they just dumped WIS.
>>
>>44069511
There aren't a lot of people with high WIS these days.
>>
>>44069511
And CHA

And the sad part is that they didn't get as much INT out of the trade as they thought.
>>
>>44069529
>>44069537

This is what happens when you don't balance properly.
>>
It's really just the magic faggots.

And if they don't smell like BO then it's weed or whatever taco supreme they just devoured within their multi-chinned maws.
>>
Because of the lingering smell
>>44069511
I don't really make a habit of talking to people that smell bad, but what could they possibly do with the extra 15 minutes a day to shower and a little more a week to and do laundry?
>>
>>44069511
There was a guy that came into our GW shop who was like this (yeah yeah, I hang at the GW store. I'd take the teenagers and older guys over the morbidly obese live-at-home community college kids at other LGS's near me any day) who was like this. After constantly dropping hints to him for like three weeks, I eventually just flat out told him, "Dude, you smell. You should really get some deodorant or shower more or something, because it's making the rest of us uncomfortable." He didn't even realize he was like that, and he changed. Problem solved.

Sometimes talking to people and brutal honesty can really help (though bare in mind that brutal honesty must be handled very, very tactfully in order to not come across as an asshole).
>>
>>44069007
the same happens to literally any other "Nerdy" hobby
>>
>>44069007
Well, two reasons.
First, socially inept fat people are the most likely people to smell bad.
Second, you keep making threads about it, and 9/10ths of fake That Guy stories throw bad smell into it just to increase general disgust.
>>
>>44069007
dudes stink, all of us

the thing is, when you are at a fancy dinner party, you prepare a few hours ahead, you might take a shower, put on some cologne and deoderant, you wear your nice clothes, or at least some of your better clean clothes, you are going for respect.

to a game shop you might just be sitting at home and decide, "im going to the game shop, im pretty sure Frank McEldar and Johnny Spacemarine are gonna be there and i might get in a few games". so you get up, throw on a shirt and whatever pants and you grab your models and get in the car. you dont take a shower first, you dont put on cologne, you probably dont even put on deodorant. you just go.
>>
>>44069007
Its a true stereotype.

I walked into the LGS at lunch break from work (I work in an office so well dressed). As soon as I entered the door I was hit with a wave of humid, sweat smelling, body odor laced, air.

Its pretty bad.
>>
>>44069189
It's just unfortunate when they're all the same person.
>>
>>44069606

The direct approach is often the most favorable. Fewest strings attached, most respect between both parties to address the issue at hand and not beat around the bush.

Being brutally honest is to address the world in someone's head as the world outside it; something doesn't match up between the two, so remedy it.
>>
It's often true. I like to think of myself as a traditional gamer. Not like some flithy casual. Then I go to FNM now and again or some table top night, and the kinds of people there... Hard to describe but they are a subset of nerds....
>>
>>44069537
or DEX, or CON or STR.
Just rolled poorly in general.
>>
I just take a big shower before every game and put on fresh clothes. Problem fixed.
>>
>>44069606
I did the same, just flat out told the guy he stank. He was just clueless about it.

He came back after a shower, said thanks for the heads up. I said sorry for snapping and everyone was happy.
>>
>>44069699
>to a game shop you might just be sitting at home and decide, "im going to the game shop, im pretty sure Frank McEldar and Johnny Spacemarine are gonna be there and i might get in a few games". so you get up, throw on a shirt and whatever pants and you grab your models and get in the car. you dont take a shower first, you dont put on cologne, you probably dont even put on deodorant. you just go.

I don't know about you but I can shower off all the stink in less than 10 minutes. And I do so out of common courtesy to everyone else in the gaming store.
>>
>>44069843
Dude, you should always dress as if you might run into an old friend or attractive member of your preferred sex. Believe me, it pays off.

I always make sure that I either put on deodorant or have put some on in the last 6 hours before I go out. That's just a common decency thing. If I know I'm gonna be in close proximity to people (like playing 40K) I also make sure I've either showered the night before if it's early morning or that morning if its late in the afternoon.

It's just common courtesy, and I've very frequently been told I smell good by women too (Dove Mens stick + tiny, tiny amount of Old Spice aerosol is apparently really good?).
>>
>>44069843
My bad, man. Meant to tag >>44069699
>>
>>44069887
It's weird the first time a girl compliments your smell. Weirder still when her friend immediately runs up, takes a whiff and agrees.

Scent is actually very important when making first impressions.
>>
>>44069007
Being a tall, slim, toned, and socially sucesful guy, it puts me off warhammer when I look into he store and everyone in there is morbidly obese, or looks like some kinda rat goblin and stinks
>>
>>44069007
I stink. I stink enough that at some of my past workplaces, my manager celled me to his office to tell me that I was doing a good job but I smelled really bad so I should put more deodorent. That beeing said two factors make people have a bad odor: body odor and clothes. If you shower but don't change clothes or the reverse, you will smell bad. I suppose some people in the gaming community are too lazy too do both (like me).
>>
>>44069511
If I don't shower at least once a day I go crazy.
>>
>>44069007
Because 9 out of 10 times stereotypes are based on a truth.
>>
Rolled 4, 6, 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 2, 2, 1, 5, 5, 5, 6 = 60 (18d6)

>>44069537
>>44069529
>>44069511
>>44069788
NEETs rolled 18d6 down the line
>>
>>44074093
>only good roll is CHA
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 1, 3, 1, 3, 2, 3, 2, 5, 1, 1, 6, 6, 5, 4, 1, 5 = 53 (18d6)

>>44074182
Clearly that isn't an actual NEET
or maybe it's a king NEET who makes podcasts for other NEETs

BEHOLD A TRUE NEET
>>
>>44069007
It's not a stereotype if it's true.
>>
>>44074204
>>44074204
S 5
D 7
C 7
I 7
W 17
C 9

Jesus christ
>>
>>44074216
You, my friend, are treading on dangerous terrain...
>>
>>44069606
The trouble with modern society is that we have decided that honesty is rude, we need to fix that
>>
>>44070008
Well.. I guess I need to try and set aside more time for showers, I'm on it about every other day, but now... man I'm slipping bad
>>
Fa/tg/uys I am issuing a call to reason, the tides of an unblock able stench are upon us, Axe and Febreez are a dead end, any semblance of cleanliness and hygiene they provided are phantoms and illusions, with your body going more sickening, what will you turn to?

The devestation rough to your social life is self evident, we have seen our dating life destroy by the thoughtless air of bad breath, we have witnessed our friend and loved ones cringe at our nightmarish oder.

Unimaginable though they may be. This is the face of our time, already the dissonant gamers are rallying behind the simple truth, in cleanliness there is hope, capitulatng only to a single solution, and after that shower, people will be able to watch you, on this day let no gamer let another slip into filth, let no one consort with nurglite ideals, and to all cheeto stains who seek to bar our way, we will clean up, no matter the cost
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 1732x1155) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 1732x1155
>>44074282
Or just learn to shower faster and more efficiently.

The only places you need to soap up and scrub thoroughly are your head, armpits, and crotch/ass. Everything else you can just wipe with a soapy cloth. And don't forget to brush your teeth to avoid bad breath - that can be done quickly in the shower, too.

I can't believe I just had to spell out personal hygiene to another adult (or teenager)
>>
Teeth are a no brainer me, I actively feel wrong if I haven't brushed before going to bed
>>
>>44069007
stereotype?
>>
>>44069205
NEETs usually don't play Warhammer since they cant afford it.
>>
>>44074253
you cant tell me that if you get 20 gamers together in the same room, 1 wont be a "rank" motherfucker
>>
>>44069843
>>44069887

I don't see the problem to take a shower as the first thing in the morning. Assuming you don't live somewhere where water is extremely rare or expensive, whats stopping people from doing so?

If someone is NEET, i get that while he sits in front of the computer for days he doesn't needs to shower, but those 5 minutes before leaving the house to go somewhere? Those 2 tiny sprays from the $2 deo spraycan?
>>
>>44074383
We need a screen cap
>>
>>44074257
>we have decided that honesty is rude, we need to fix that
the problem is that some people (imagine SJW to make as simple to you as possible) have stupid opinions so being honest about this stupid opinion would lead to problems
>>
>>44074674
Stop #smellshaming
>>
>>44074730
FAT ACCEPTANCE NOW!!!
ALTERNATIVE HYGIENE TOLERANCE NOW!!!
>>
>>44074841
#FreeBleedForEquality
>>
File: cut it out.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
cut it out.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>44074730
>>44074841
>>
File: 1447531958838.jpg (39 KB, 223x430) Image search: [Google]
1447531958838.jpg
39 KB, 223x430
>>44074841
>>44074730
You fools, at this rate you will bring the forces of burgled upon us!
>>
>>44075089
*Nurgle*

I hate my phone
>>
>>44074730
>>44074841
Spot on. Well done.
#completelyshameless
>>
>>44074543
>>44074415
I wonder what the correlation is between those who shower less and those that have long hair?

It's a fairly popular look amongst neckbeards and other /tg/ types, and, speaking from experience, it can add a lot of time to getting ready (as well as looking pretty bad and holding on to smells a lot when unwashed) - I'd say it's probable that their long hair can add to a lot of these guys' unwillingness to shower
>>
>>44075209
The long hair comes from their unwillingness to got to a hairdresser. (social awkwardness) so it goes hand in hand
>>
>>44075233
Sometimes, but not always - think how many you see wearing metal shirts and such.
>>
File: caveman.jpg (27 KB, 228x243) Image search: [Google]
caveman.jpg
27 KB, 228x243
>>44074415
With short hair, I can shower in less than 10 minutes. If you don't have 10 minutes a day (hell, even 10 minutes every two days if you're not a greaseball like me) to make sure you don't smell like a walking colony of toe fungus, what are you spending your time even doing?

(By "you" I didn't mean you, person who I was responding to. I meant a hypothetical "you".)
>>
>>44075328
They wear metal shirts because they want to fit in. Think about it: What scene is welcoming towards (fat) bearded dudes with long hair who kinda smell bad? If you really think these guys wear those shirts because they like the music then you are wrong. A large percentage listens to that music because that way they feel accepted at least by some people while at the same time normalfags see them as metalheads instead of smelly hobos.
Same goes for the interest in /tg/. /tg/ people are usually extremely tolerant. Almost nobody will judge you if you are a fat, smelly metal shirt wearing neckbeard here. Thats the reason they are here. Its as simple as that.

If metal and /tg/ in general would shun missing hygiene like other groups do, those people would look for something else.
>>
>>44075209
Long hair AND unkempt facial hair (letting it grow out naturally instead of trimming it to a particular shape)
>>
My problem with showering is that it reminds me of how much I hate myself.

I still do it before leaving the damn house, though.
>>
File: consider.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>44074282
for 10min shower please follow these instructions
0. put a towel on the towel rack 5sec
1. turn on shower to hot 5sec
2. brush teeth for 1<t<2 minutes 2min
3. adjust water temp and get in the SHOWER!
4. either with the bar of soap or a soapy rag rub yourself from head to toe 6min
5. shampoo and follow instructions 2min
6. turn of water and dry yourself 1min
total time used to stop being literally nurgle 11min
optional(and I use that word loosely)
deodorant,
combing your hair,
trimming your neckbeard into a goatee or some other form of acceptable facial hair,
cleaning your ears, etc.
>>
>>44076311
Isn't it sad that in a hobby that attracts "nerds" - the supposedly smart people - some of them are earnestly in need of instruction like this?
>>
>>44069007
I have a tendency to blame the sorta guys that use Body Odour to put off their opponents in war-games. Like the sorta guy that uses BO to put off his opponent in WHFB
>>
>>44076387
Plenty of people know how to shower, they just forget to set time aside for it
>>
>>44076432
Does he at least play a Nurgle army to match a theme?
>>
>>44076311
You should shampoo before you soap up, dude, or else all the oils and conditioner gunk from your hair gets on your bod.
>>
>>44074841
Fuck you, I don't understand why all fatties stink so much. Is it because they can't reach all the spots of their body or what?
>>
>>44076456
Depends on the guy I guess? I knew a young-fella ran High Elves and Daemons that tried that shit. It rarely worked well for him but he was convinced the strategy was foolproof
>>
>>44076505
Because they run out of breath midway.
>>
>>44076505
Imagine you have to carry an additional 100kg with you, all day, every day. You would sweat alot.
>>
>>44076540
And its not even just weight. It insulates you, you run hotter so you sweat more even at rest. Doesnt apply to everyone, I know some heavy motherfuckers that just dont smell, but goddamn it applies to a lot.
>>
>>44074204
>>44074223
>17 wisdom
That's less of a NEET and more of a Buddha.
>>
I haven't showered in 2 weeks but i haven't really gone out anywhere.
>>
>>44076926
Shower dude. Shits bad for your state of mind and yer health.

Like its your call but thats my advice
>>
>>44069606
wow, coolin it at GW and spergin out about community college, sorry we don't all have daddy's money anon :(
>>
>>44071941
how socially >successful?
>>
>>44073950
agree
>>
>>44076926
As long as you are taking a shower before heading out for groceries next time i wont judge you
>>
Rolled 4, 3, 2, 2, 3, 5, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 1, 4, 4, 4 = 60 (18d6)

>>44076839
a Buddha would have at least 18
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 1, 4, 6, 3, 1, 5, 5, 1, 1, 6, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 6 = 63 (18d6)

>>44077116
I wonder what is the highest anyone has ever done in one of these babies.

>>44076926
You should, all that sweat and filth is gonna be shit for your skin, among other things.
>dat acne going all out
>>
>>44074383

Fuck me I'm shocked someone remembers this speech, let alone parodying it for a hygiene initiative.

Godspeed, anon.
>>
File: fatguy.jpg (192 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
fatguy.jpg
192 KB, 1024x768
/thread
>>
>>44077297
>/threading yourself
>>
File: exotic plant.jpg (57 KB, 461x568) Image search: [Google]
exotic plant.jpg
57 KB, 461x568
>>44077297
>he threads himself
>>
>>44076502
>>44076311
And if you use conditioner and you leave it on while you wash the rest of you, it works better.
>>
I cant leave the house unless i have a shower and brush my teeth, mainly becuase im paranoid as fuck that people will judge me about it, and if i dont brush my teeth my mouth tastes and feels gross.
>>
>>44079365
It's not paranoia if people actually do judge you on hygiene.
>>
The Magic players at the FLGS in my hometown fucking reek. It's insane.
>>
>>44077297
>implying you can /thread yourself
>implying youre not the opposite end of this woeful spectrum
>some spindly goofy-ass lookin 7 foot tall trenchcoat donning motherfucker
>senpai plz
>>
File: 1435091018324.jpg (38 KB, 367x315) Image search: [Google]
1435091018324.jpg
38 KB, 367x315
>>44069007
Because people take the worst examples and remember them over the countless good-to-okay examples, because the fat neckbearded disgusting sack of shit that had real life stink lines makes for a more interesting story than the regular guy that didn't really smell of anything playing with cards/plastic army men/the theater of mind.

Happens with everything. Negativity is easy.

And honestly, I've seen more underweight fedoralords than fat sacks of smelly shit.
>>
>>44079365
Kind of the same reason I shower after 2 days at most. Can't stand feeling grimy and I can smell myself
>>
>>44069788

This makes a compelling argument for point buy. Or 4d6 pick the highest.
>>
heard girls in my area say stuff like:
"ugh I can't stand magic players, at least the Warhammer guys take showers!"

which is funny, because there are at least a handful female magic players, but zero playing warhammer
>>
>>44076311
Here's mine
>turn on shower to heat, strip while it's heating (10 sec)
>enter shower (1 sec)
>rotate twice for water coverage (2 sec)
>put shampoo in hair and vigorously scrub (20 sec)
>let it sit there and begin scrubbing body with soap; face->armpits->groin->ass (30 sec)
>wash off suds with water, helping with hands (20 sec)
>get out of shower, starting from the head down, dry with towel in sawing motions (30 sec)
>put on clothes (10 sec)

2m:03s total if you're focused. I average around 5 minutes every day because there's usually no need to rush, but you learn to do this quick when you pay for it.
>>
>>44077297
Wow. A fine specimen.

The Prime Example of the fa/tg/uy.
>>
>>44083757
For some reason I can smell him by just looking at that pic of him. Dear God the stench.
>>
>>44083798
He looks like a literal dorf, straight from the fortress. He even has the fucking DF grin.
>>
>>44069007
This fucking figurine is haunting
>>
>>44083837
Adeptus Arbites is informed, citizen.

Please stand by for a routine inspection.
>>
>>44077297
/thread
>>
>>44083828
>He even has the fucking DF grin

fucking dammit it's true
>>
>>44083881
>Delayed samefag strike

Nice try, anon.
>>
I've been to a few traditional games conventions several times in the area I live in. I don't know why I go as I have too much anxiety to actually do anything, though this year at one of them there was a very good seminar on sculpting with kneadatite from an industry professional.

Most people are either dweebs or former yuppies. Some are grognards. I find the most hardcore grognards are usually the friendliest and are just happy that someone took interest in their archaic system or very carefully set up Napoleonic.

But yes, there are some large and unhygienic individuals, MRA assholes, and other scumbags. A couple years back there was a my little pony LARP. The con I went to most took a very firm stance on sexual harassment though, so it usually wasn't too bad. I do not look forward to seeing kingdom death. all over the place next year.

Honestly though, the worst people to ever run into at a con though are the WAAC power gamers who are even willing to attack their opponent (verbally anyway) to try and get an advantage. I could understand if they just tweak their list and play their best; that is what a tournament is about after all. What I don't appreciate though is that they are willing to lie, verbally abuse, and sometimes cheat just to win. Is winning a small tournament with no trophy or sizable prize worth being a total ass?

one particularly bad experience turned me away from tournament play for good. Ironically, I won a prize in that tournament.

But yes, when monday rolls around the smell in the hotel lobby can kill the unprepared. I don't get what makes people not shower at cons.

One year, there was to be a wedding in the hotel the same weekend as the con. The couple was NOT pleased.
>>
my lgs is next to an Indian restaurant and yet the curry is its only saving grace vs the BO and vapeorama.
>>
>>44077297
He looks so happy.
I wish I would remember how feeling happy feels.
>>
>>44085569
Everyone I know seems to really like curry, but I find many curries have a disharmonious taste about them, like they just tossed a bunch of different spices in without any regard to the end result. That and the often include coriander.

Curry, vape fumes*, and body odor would be a show stopper for me. I would not want to visit that lgs.

*I don't care what people read about second hand vape fumes. It is disgusting. Don't do it in confined spaces.
>>
>>44069007
I feel like that model would bother people with trypophobia really bad.
>>
>>44085641
I have nothing against a nicotine addiction do mind you but vape is foul as shit to the people who don't partake.

I myself quite enjoy the Nargila once in a while but I'd never fucking blow that shit in a players face.
>>
>>44085718
I don't have any strong feelings on it if people do vape or smoke in properly ventilated areas.

But doing inside a cramped room full of people, or anywhere with a captive audience, is beyond foul. Smoking and vaping at a train station (or on the train) is illegal in the state I live in for a very good reason.

Think of it like taking shits. Taking shits in in a bathroom stall or in your own home is your business, but if you take a shit around others, especially those who can't get away from you, you deserve every unfortunate thing that happens to you.
>>
>>44074489
Get any group of 20 people together and at least one is bound to fill some stereotype. That's not exactly a good argument.
>>
>>44085843
ah yes but 19 might.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 620x349
>>44069025
This is probably the best explanation on fa/tg/uy hygiene I have seen on /tg/.
>>
>>44074730
>>44074841
I would say that we should pitch this to /pol/ as something they could dupe SJW's with, but it's probably already a thing.
>>
>>44069189
Also of merit, if you're usually very physically active, you will have a cleaner diet and drink more water.

Unless it's bulking season, and your asshole spews forth choking gas clouds with no regard to bystanders or your vain attempts at sphincter tone control.
>>
>>44086084
Or none could.
>>
>>44069189
People don't bring it up because showering is established in school as something sports people do as a routine.
>>
>>44069189
>>44086202
fucking hunting in a blind makes you stink(wool wool everything) playing a children's cardgame does not.
Guys be serious here and just tell your trog's to shower.
>>
File: Nice one.gif (540 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Nice one.gif
540 KB, 400x300
>>44074383
>>
>>44086215
maybe in Narnia

>>44086202
Even goddamn protein farts beat the death stench.
>>
>>44086287
My point is 20 is way too small a number to determine how valid any stereotype is.

You'd need a few thousand at the very least to start getting a valid statistic.
>>
>>44074415
Also throw in a flossing every now and then for good measure
>>
File: Nurgle.jpg (323 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Nurgle.jpg
323 KB, 1200x1600
>>
>>44076311
>My timeline
>Turn shower to hot 20 sec
>Get in Shower 5 sec
>Lay Down, consider existence 15 min
>Optional: Take a nap: 15 min
>Finally decide to wash 3 min
>Get on, consider taking another shower 30 sec
>>
I want to get back in the habit of showing twice a day but I really struggle in the mornings, so I shower once a day in the evenings instead.

I really don't like going to bed stinky.
>>
>>44086664
There's not really a reason to shower twice a day though.
>>
I used to have stinky armpits where the BO wouldn't go away no matter how much soap I used. So I just started shaving them and it went away.

Sometimes bacterias will establish themselves in your body hair and keep on producing funk.
>>
>>44086673
Sometimes it is cold when I go to sleep but warms up a lot during the night and I wake up pretty sweaty.

Also it is nice to help wake up.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 259x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 259x358
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Luke
>>
I want to start shaving my legs by that hair grows back extremely fast and every electric razor I've tried doesn't seem very efficient at the task.
>>
>>44086798
Electric razors are only good if you like skin irritation. Don't use a razor with more than 2 blades. Always use cream or gel. Try to get an old-fashioned safety razor with replaceable blades if you can, or if you're crazy enough a straight razor.
>>
>>44086798
There is always wax if you want them to last smooth longer.
>>
>>44069511
I have a sperg brother who showers for like 2-3 hours whenever he does shower like once a week. I bet he just jerks off in there for an hour at least before getting in the actual shower.
>>
>>44069007
It's not really a stereotype if it's true is it?
>>
>>44076839
>>44077116
Maybe he just figured that less women = less problems and more money.
He is like a NEET sage or something.
>>
>>44069007
I went to Dragonmeet in London, this past weekend. And the showfloor fucking hummed. It was the worst.

Also, no bullshit, I saw two fat nerds bump into each other. They both dropped their medicine. I had to walk off because I was cracking up.
>>
This entire thread scares me.
>>
>>44069127

Yeah this is also a factor to be fair. Most events I go to are poorly ventilated.

The hobby needs more grils and more families. The UK games expo is mostly board games so it has a greater concentration of girls and families and is no where near as bad BO wise when compared to say Vapnartak or Fiasco which are both primarily wargames.

Nothing sorts out BO faster than your mum and/or dad telling you to get a shower or no games today because you stink Or the possibility of fanny that shares your hobby.
>>
>>44069606
The GW I go to has an emergency store-bound deodorant can. The guy managed to get his resident NEET trained that they accept when he hands over the deodorant, but they still won't shower. Even heard him say flat out "X, you smell, take a shower if you want to come here tomorrow", which X didn't do anyhow.
>>
Can't believe no ones posted that copy pasta about that guys flat mate yet, he was called phil or something and basically lived in a septic pit and had rotten teeth.
>>
>>44090559
>>44086779
>>
>>44090573

Oops.
>>
>>44069007
It's not a stereotype if it's true.
>>
I can get how you can rack up a couple of days without showering and develop an aversion to water, but on the other hand force yourself to take a hot shower every day for a week, and you should instinctively feel greasy and dirty if you haven't bathed. Also, if you're overweight wear layers-- a cotton t shirt should be your base layer that absorbs sweat and grease, and gets changed every day. You should wear something over it, like a button up shirt or at least a hoodie. In hotter weather train yourself to wear layers, just use lighter fabrics. Your body will adapt, you won't sweat like a hog, and people won't be repulsed by you (as much).
>>
>>44069007
As a medfag I'd say:
- light depression and subsequent lack of motivation / chronically not caring
- being overweight and not cleaning the folds well
- having a poor diet
- not addressing possible medical issues
>>
I'm annoyed that nerds don't groom their facial hair and I did see someone wear an actuall fedora at my FLGS the other day.
>>
>>44069025
Smell blindness.

After a time, a person gets used to their own aroma, and the brain shuts it out. If they don't get out often, they may not even know that they stink.

The individual at this point needs another person's opinion on it, and unless they note disgust on people's faces, they probably don't know because very few people will walk up to anyone and state a grievance for fear of appearing rude. Then ironically, they'll insult the stink pot behind their back, resolving absolutely nothing.

If someone smells like a garbage dump, take them aside and inform them kindly. In my experience, you'll get more gratitude than indignation
>>
>>44076436
Case in point
>>
>>44076926

Prevent the miasma my friend and bathe.
>>
>>44086468
Nice.
>>
File: wat.jpg (5 KB, 120x160) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
5 KB, 120x160
>>44069189

>I find many sportsmen also have a musk
>>
>>44069511
Bathing is a complete waste of time if I'm planning to stay in a cave for the next ten days in nothing but my underwear.

If I'm planning to go out I'm going to scrub my skin raw for like two hours to get rid of the resulting stank though.
>>
File: epps51a.gif (1 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
epps51a.gif
1 MB, 300x300
>>44069007
>Why is our hobby stereotyped with foul body odor?
It can get pretty stinky at times, depending on who you're playing with.

Nothing compares to soldiering though. You can get so stinky in the field that even your mother who hasn't seen you for 6 months wouldn't touch you without wearing MOP.
>Fatigues turn into grease, sweat and dirt, socks literally rot off at the toes, you let your underpants go free to breed and multiply somewhere and you don't even want to think what your body armour has become... bullets are scared of it
>>
>>44092206
You wouldn't have to scrape yourself for two hours if you'd just hose yourself off for 5 minutes each day. You don't even have to use soap, just let the water splash off the excessive dirt, sweat, and grease when you wake up or about to go to bed. You can then do a faster more thorough scrubbing with soap when you're about to go out.
>>
File: Johnsons wipes.jpg (20 KB, 435x290) Image search: [Google]
Johnsons wipes.jpg
20 KB, 435x290
>>44092264
Baby wipes, man. Former British Army here. A baby wipe in the morning to the pits, sack and crack will make everything so much more bearable.

Also, they're fucking amazing at getting cam cream off.
>>
I have never played any RPG games in my life until 2 weeks ago. It was a meetup, we didnt knew each other and we were 7 in total.

1 : Autistic OBESE guy, he smells like shit, nails are dirty, etc...And he is a brony.

2 : Obnoxious fat guy, he is a brony, I mean your typical fat fuck with attitude, and plus he isnt funny at ALL. He plays a female Kitsune or whatever the fuck that is, he is very lound, unfunny, a real pain in the ass.

3 : The 6'6 master race guy, Tall, dirty blond guy
I can tell that he browse 4chan, from the way he talks and other hints, he is the bearable of the 3, but still he's a brony fucktard.

The rest are normal, clean, people that includes me, the GM, and a girl and her friend.

I want to get rid of the first three, they are ruining the experience for me.
>>
>>44092174
People smell and males full of testosterone is gonna fart pheromones all over the place.
>>
>>44075233
I have shoulder length hair not out of any desire to have long hair, but because if I have it cut any shorter I begin to look like an angry potato.

I'll take 'metalhead who forgot what decade it is' over that any day of the week
>>
>>44069007
It is? Where?
>>
>>44092764
Oh for sure, if you're anywhere approaching civilisation, we where in futtbuck jihadistan country for 12 days straight, on foot and pretty much rucking 60-70kg of gear each + all that rubbish its got to come back too.
Just wasn't the room anywhere

Funniest part was coming back and rolling up on this poor US Marine FOB that we'd radio'd in to let us know we're turning up out of the middle of nowhere and don't shoot.
The sentries on the guns where kind of going green downwind and their LT I swear had set this 5ft distance from us to check our ID's out and stuff, literally an invisible wall that no one would/could pass. To their credit though they found us enough water, soap and wipes to get clean, some fatigues that weren't twitching and some really decent food.
We'd shed on average 5-10kg of body weight, they where some hard times those.
>>
>>44093312
It kinda gathers in the air.
>>
>>44092174
>>44069189
>I can personally attest to the smell of many sportsmen
you gay brah?
>>
>>44075233
>don't go to hairdresser because nervous about bad haircuts
>curly hair
>tfw goy with a jewfro
>>
>>44090473
>The hobby needs more grils and more families.
It's kind of odd it doesn't have more families, honestly. How many fa/tg/uys got into the hobby in the first place because they had a friend with a collection of books from TSR? I guess it's kind of weird to play with your parents but I'm not sure why that's the case
>>
nigga the store i used to go to the owner would fuckin spray people down if they were bad enough. just walk up with fuckin spray deodorant and make some fat ham stop their fucking game while he forced them to stink less.

if that didnt work or they refused he'd kick them out
>>
>>44095708
Mah nigga, this is hilarious.
>>
>>44076220

>tfw examining my doughy, pathetic body in the shower

Sometimes it's easier to just smell bad :(
>>
>>44095708
He is doing Gods work.
>>
>>44096365
Anon, just start lifting. It will burn your fat faster than riding a bike and counter depression.
>>
File: il_570xN.201494059.jpg (123 KB, 570x806) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.201494059.jpg
123 KB, 570x806
>>44085583
>He looks so happy.
>I wish I would remember how feeling happy feels.

Right in the feels, bro
>>
File: suicide bath.jpg (77 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
suicide bath.jpg
77 KB, 500x375
>>44096365
Yes, people are going to talk shit to you for being a fat fuck.

But they are going to talk shit EVEN HARDER if you are a SMELLY fat fuck.

The former makes you sad. The latter will make you eventually want to kill yourself. Which, ironically, will probably be by cutting your wrists while sitting in a warm bath. Which is where you should've been in the first place.
>>
>>44096672

I'm actually not fat

when I'm wearing clothes, you can't tell how doughy and pathetic my body is, so nobody makes fun of me

I know I need to start exercising and washing more, I'm just expressing my feels, thanks for the advice
>>
>>44096672
People mostly shit on fat people because they think they are lazy and undiciplined.
>>
>>44096836
Anon, if you start exercising more it will give you an insentive to shower more often. Think of it as a win win. Excercise also kills the bad feels because the body releases substances that makes you feel good.
>>
>>44096913
Yeah but you could also get those good feelings from eating an entire crate of chocolate.
>>
>>44096956
This is how I approach things
>>
>>44096956

Too much chocolate gives me bad feels in my tummy and then later my rectum

I have an okay diet, but too much salt and not quite enough vegetables

My issue is no exercise whatsoever

I used to be an all-county high school athlete, but I let myself go :(
>>
>>44096956
You can do that and exercise. You can have both cakes and eat them without any guilt. You can double down on both the good feelings and feel twice as good.
>>
>>44097158
You could also just... eat twice the chocolate.
>>
>>44097117
>I used to be an all-county high school athlete, but I let myself go :(

You can get it back.
>>
>>44097171
But with exercise you don't have to worry about diabetes or getting fat. You simply feel yourself getting stronger and increasingly feel that you can do anything. You will feel that you can eat all the chocolate.
>>
>>44091179
as someone who's smell responders were permanently burned out due to poor supervision of me as a baby:

PLEASE TELL ME IF I STINK.
I HAD A MOLD IN MY LAUNDRY FOR MONTHS THAT MADE EVERYONE HATE ME AND NOBODY FUCKING MENTIONED IT.

THE COWARDS, THE FOOLS!
>>
>>44076839
If you think about it, the Buddha was the ultimate NEET
>>
>>44097261
Giving a person an honest opinions about social issues like these is a kindness. Even if it might seem rude people need to know these things if they don't realise it themselves.
>>
>>44069007
Poor hygiene and up till recently Games shops were poor and didn't have good AC or ventilation.
>>
>>44069007
Fat nerd stink.
>>
Lack of common sense.
>>
>that feel when you have a super weak nose and a persons body odor doesn't factor into your opinion of them, letting you get to know them based on their personality.
>>
Smell my armpit, you know you want it
>>
Fortunately for me, most of the guys I play Magic with are also military so they are rather hygenic and sociable.

I find my own hygenie tends to suffer as my depression gets worse, so it sometimes slips past me if I let it take hold.
>>
>>44069025
This is how I am. NEET as fuck, I rarely go outside, and I honestly don't really stink that much even when I haven't showered for days.

But I have it worse due to ADHD, so I often just plain FORGET to bathe. Shit sucks.

Meh, this thread has reminded me I should probably take a shower.
>>
>>44069007
Because Papa Nurgle loves the stagnancy of poor rules and bad FAQs; how the players will consistently use their games as an escape from their lives instead of improving on it.

The God Emperor may have invented the game; but Nurgle has rotted it.
>>
>>44071941
You should play the Ultramarines.
>>
>>44081947
Don't anger the trenchcoats or they will send Slenderman after you.
>>
>>44092764
I'm surprised they haven't made "Man-wipes" yet. Or maybe they did; and this is just another instance of the terrible place known as "The North American Market"?
>>
>>44100495
Google is your friend.
>>
>>44100338
>I honestly don't really stink that much even when I haven't showered for days

No. Wrong. Dead wrong. Hardly anybody can smell themselves when they stink. And everybody else is just being nice to you.
>>
>>44075209
Just gonna say. Anyone who doesn't WANT to take care of their long hair is human trash that deserves to start balding.
>>
File: 1436685416454.jpg (42 KB, 600x626) Image search: [Google]
1436685416454.jpg
42 KB, 600x626
>>44074415
Dude, during basic training we'd have a few people who literally had zero clue how to clean themselves.most of the time, it was some guy who was homeless most of his life, or someone abused by parent figures who joined to get away. They learned how the first time, and we never had to hassle them again because they liked being 'clean' now that they can without issues.

But we had two proto-nechbeards who refused to learn or had a shower phobia. faggots tried to claim that they 'air dry' after pt. we ended up hog-tying them naked, dragging them into the shower room, and forcably washing them with soap and steel wool because we got tired of pushing pavement for them.
>>
I dont give a shit if I have bo at the flgs. Thats the one place I can just let it ride. But my girlfriend says Im disgusting because I'll eat doritoes or ice cream or cereal or whatever while I take a shit. Or I'll smoke a cigarette if I have any.

But who gives a fuck about bo at the flgs? Unless theres a female, whatever.
>>
>>44102063
YOU ARE THE REASON THERE ISN'T A FEMALE YOU PATHETIC FUCKING BAIT
>>
>>44091331
Also prevent the smegma.
>>
>>44102039
>steel wool
doesn't clean flesh, fucking namby welfare queen "Muh honor, muh patriotism, muh free college ride" slack jawed boot licking faggot.

just use a towel next time
>>
>>44102356
I get the sense they weren't so interested in giving them a good cleaning as much as scrubbing the lesson into them.
>>
How does one not know they smell?

>smell blindness

Sure, but on the end of every weekend where I went without showering or changing clothing, on monday I know it's time to whip out the rough chemicals, peppermint based products, razor, and wash rag no matter how I think I smell.

After an hour, I've shed a layer of dirt swirling around my shower water and my skin is sensitive and minty fresh once again.
>>
to play 40k, you can sometimes be standing and walking for as long as a 10 hour day. Even if you properly cleaned, sometimes you can get stinky after that.
>>
>>44103784
In an air conditioned room? Where there are chairs available? And you're only picking up plastic toy soldiers? Jesus Christ if you get sweaty during a game of 40k you really need to lose some fucking weight!
>>
>>44103784
Wear deodorant.
>>
The gamestores in my area seem to have unanimously decided that the high-ranking players play on the tables closer to the register while the guys in last play near the windows. So if the Nurgles keep losing ( and they tend to do) the place smells fine.

A good incentive to not lose though
>>
>>44103809
>Air conditioned
>Chairs

Luxury.

Where we play, it gets to 90 degrees and there are no chairs.

Remember, as hard as it may be to believe, other people have different experiences to you.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>44105130
And I realize that. But you'll have to excuse me if I assume that 40k is not fun enough to suffer through that kind of environment to play, and if the goal is actually to hang out with friends then there are alterations you can make to play at smaller more comfortable venues (500pt games) or doing another activity entirely. But if the goal is a large game of 40k at all costs - even if it means several hours in a sauna rank with the lingering body odor of a legion of fat filthy neckbeards, then you bet your ass I'm going to talk mad shit about your hygiene habits AND your tastes in gaming.
>>
>>44092775
are they bronies or horsefuckers? because the Horsefuckers can be entertaining if they arent that public about it.
>>
>>44086779
ALL HAIL THE PLAUGE FATHER!
>>
>>44106750
Luke, please go.
>>
>>44069511

I can't fathom how people don't like or want to bathe. I feel disgustingly grody and filthy if I don't go without a shower when I wake up. It's like 5-10 minutes. Hop in, loofa-lathered body wash on your legs, crotch, chest, arms, armpit. Shampoo, hop out, boom. I'm not a hypochondriac, my room is plenty messy but I hate feeling filthy and sweaty.

If you're military or have NO TIME whatsoever because you're working the second you wake up to the second you go to bed then I understand, ain't going to be smelling fresh and dandy like sour candy in Afghanistan. But that also means you aren't off playing 40k or tabletop.

>>44105117

Bahahaha that's awesome.
>>
The amount of people who don't like bathing worries me. Like, seriously, the fuck? No matter what it's always a shower in the mornings for me and maybe even a bath in the afternoon for pleasure.
Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.