[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think is the best TCG other than Magic right now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: ENMPR032.jpg (242 KB, 556x777) Image search: [Google]
ENMPR032.jpg
242 KB, 556x777
What do you guys think is the best TCG other than Magic right now?
>>
>>44068219
I haven't looked too much at it since it isn't really played much.
I like the art style because I'm a fucking weeaboo, but the mechanics always seem kinda...parasitic.
Like in that card you just posted it calls to draw another SPECIFIC card. And I'm hoping the whole Cthulu Resonator thing is more like tribes in mtg or that's just compounding the parasitism.
>>
Force of Will is a very fun game. Much happier with it than I am of magic these last few years. Currently trying to finish my Bloody Snow White deck, missing some commons :\
>>
>>44068219
It seems somewhat interesting, but much like Yu-Gi-Oh, the cluttered cards put me off of the game somewhat. Tiny text is annoying to read, and unless the game is fabulous, it's going to be tiresome to deal with. Plus, I look at this card and really wonder if 600/600 is necessary. Why not just 6/6? Do you really need increments of 50? Why not 5 then, for a 60/60 creature? Just seems like big numbers for no real reason.
>>
>>44068219
It really is Shub-Niggurath?

For some reason I always thought it was Nub-Shiggorath...
>>
Pulled some good shit at the prerelease. Stamped Reflect/Refrain, and a stamped Dark Alice from the prize packs.
>>
>>44069971
That's just a Japanese thing. Their shit's all retarded over there.

Fun game, though. There aren't even enough card options for parasitism to matter 99% of the time, and the 1% is called stories and you're a faggot if you play it.
>>
>>44069971
Slants are used to dealing in larger numbers because of the currency they use. Dealing with things in the hundreds is a lot easier for them.

I agree with you though, it is frustrating.
>>
>>44070102
I may still look into it. I like Magic and all but these days I prefer just talking about the game and making my own sets for it as opposed to anything else. Mostly just play casually and maybe do a draft now and again, since Limited is best format.

>>44070144
You know, I never considered that that might be why all their card games were like that. That was kind of a revelatory thing to read, thank you Anon.
>>
>>44068219
Is there any that really sets it apart from MTG but? I played a few hands and while fun it played like a Webee version of magic.

I liked land deck idea but it's not like I can't port the rule over to friendly magic games.
>>
>>44068219
Certainly not fairytale weaboo waifu simulator 3000
>>
>>44070187
>revelatory
Elucidate
>>
>>44070274
It's edh without mana issues plus animes. I'd have thought it was right up /tg/'s alley because we're too poor and bad for real magic formats
>>
>>44068219
First, I'm not sure Magic is the best but for purposes of this question, I'll just ignore it.

Yugioh plays SO much differently than when it first came out that between that and the power bloat, it's kind of a turn-off. Pokemon is similar in those regards but to a lesser extent.

The Bushiroad stuff (Vanguard and Buddyfight) are.... well, they're ok but I wouldn't put them at the top of a list. Weiss Schwarz plays a bit better but a lot of the coolness there comes from the IP's, I think, and it should be about the game.

Force of Will is a good alternative to Magic, but is about the same mechanically. I think the card art is more a draw for me there than anything else.

I'd probably say the Dragon Ball Z reboot would be the best mechanically but the online community is a bit toxic and the company that makes it has some serious issues.

So... frak. I don't know if that really leaves anything.
>>
>>44070332
I had just wondered why is all, and never thought to consider that as a possible reason.
>>
>>44070340
Well it leaves magic at the top
And honestly, The DBZ TCG is probably gonna go down the drain sooner than later
>>
>>44070399
Well, it leaves Magic out of it, let's say that. I'm reluctant to say Magic is the best game, but it's the most commercially successful by far.

And you're probably right. DBZ was some nice nostalgia but it hasn't been handled very well and it doesn't have the tv show to capitalize on this time around. I'm surprise it's still going, to be honest.
>>
>>44068219
Jokes on you OP I already am
>>
>>44068219
This shit sells out everywhere, but I never see anyone playing it. What gives?
>>
>>44073177
my lgs has like a single row case for boosters of it and I occasionally see singles in the common cards bin

last week I saw the owner pull out a single booster box for a draft if anyone wanted to play it and overhead him say that he would be getting starter decks soon

never seen anyone play it but it may pick up soon
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.