[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/btg/ - Battletech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1446078012023.png (696 KB, 1654x1022) Image search: [Google]
1446078012023.png
696 KB, 1654x1022
The /btg/ is dead, long live the /btg/!

Muninn, you forgot to finish your last tease

Old thread: >>44029430

=====================

>/btg/ does a TRO.
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam) spot.com/

>The Happening has Happened and it was glorious:
http://bg.battletech.com/news/news-and-announcements/drop-pod-sequence-initiatedthree-two-one/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5 (embed)

>Can I get an overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what mechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Battletech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx (embed)

>Sarna.net - Battletech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of Battletech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

>Battletech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 800x800
>>44065442
First for Clan Mercer Ravannion.
>>
What's the worst variant of your favorite mech?
>>
>>44065063

Making an AC/2 "viable" is a tough one. Honestly, it should likely be somewhere around 2 or 2.5 tons. It's a half-damage SRM-2 with triple the range and can use special ammo types. Half damage (2 vs 4) and double-range cancel one another out in my head. The third range band (which is also fixed) adds 1 ton. Ammo load is effectively equal (45 vs 50), so nothing needs done there. The question is whether the ability to load special ammo types should matter. In this case, I don't really think so (and SRMs can fire Infernos anyway). Heat generation between them is equivalent. Ballistics, however, always take up more criticals than their "equivalent" laser or missile weapon. The AC/2 was the only one which didn't, and I'll fix that now.

So: New AC-2
Mass: 2
Crits: 2
Ammo: 45
Damage: 2
Heat: 1
Minimum Range: 3
Short Range: 1-9
Medium Range: 10-18
Long Range: 19-27

>>44065526
>Dat motion blur
>>
>>44065526
>someone saved my extra blur version
Fuck yeah.
>>
>>44066069
So if the regular AC/2 is two tons, how much should the ultra weigh? 3?
>>
>>44066069

Or just 3 shots per trigger pull.
>>
>>44066192

Probably. Maybe 3.5.

For the record, I'd make the AC/5 about 4 tons base (5 for the Ultra) and leave the other stats unchanged. 10-class ACs get 1 ton lighter. 20-class ACs remain the same. None of that's really been "analyzed". It's just what feels *about* right to my gut.
>>
>>>44063681
>Very loosely inspired by his military service. There's an introduction where he explains he only shot at people a few times and is mostly sure he didn't kill anyone. He was basically a desk jocky. So he wrote gritty action packed military scifi. Makes sense in a way when you compare it to nam verts who were all kinds of messed up and wrote sad stuff with happy endings.

David Drake was a military intelligence officer in Vietnam. There's a torture scene in one of the Slammers short stories he mentions as being based off of something he saw an SVA officer do. He did field interrogations and such. Not a combat soldier, but not a desk jockey either.

Interesting idea for a merc unit, too. Deniable intelligence gathering.
>>
>>44065254
Since no one has answered you yet, the Anduriens have domestic production of the:

>Wasp
>Blackjack Omni
>Strider Omni
>Hermes II
>Quickdraw
>Stalker (and eventually Stalker II)

The variants will obviously depend upon the era, although it'd probably be worth mentioning that the Stalkers available to them include the Royal version from the Jihad onwards.

Imports mostly include stuff from Regulus and the Lyrans, although their rapprochement to the Canopian/Capellan block in the Dark Age reduces their dependency on those two markets. They instead start buying older or cheaper Capellan products (Snake, Thunder, Gun, etc) and most of what's being produced in Canopian space (Calliope, Anubis, Eyleuka, etc).

For vehicles, they've got the:

>Moltke
>Ontos
>Aeron
>Galleon
>Harasser
Thumper

Imports remain similar, but with more newer stuff from the Capellans themselves (Nisos, Danai, Sheriff, Arrow IV Assault, etc).
>>
File: sniper.png (226 KB, 478x570) Image search: [Google]
sniper.png
226 KB, 478x570
/btg/, can you think of a new plot idea that isn't a reharsh of previous ideas? Jihad was basically Liberation of Terra II and Dark Age is a mix of 5th Succession Wars and Liberation of Terra III and the next era has everything to be the Reunification War II. I don't like to fight for Terra over and over

Pic unrelated
>>
>mfw my Spider survived a MWO match with one leg, an unarmored CT and the head
2stronk4Lie-rans
>>
>>44066648
I don't want to see another fight for Terra but I also don't want a Clan invasion 2.0.

So I'd go for a Age of War 2, I know it's might fall under rehash but to me it would be a general Sphere wide war because what else we're going to have on Battletech besides war?

Jade Falcon-Dominion war with Horses preying around and getting into trouble with the Sharks when poking around the Chainlane Isles which contributes with a breakdown of central control of Khanates.

Wolves are occupied with Lyran-League attacks and Republic raids. FWL fights to reform every planet under new League except Andurien who absorbs non-aligned worlds and gets Liao-Canopian assistance.

Liao and Kurita are split into fighting Republic, Davion and each other for New Avalon. Half the Outback leaves for Fitvelt who is attacked by the Ravens (who discovers the OA ground troops suck and don't have enough troop themselves).

Also Kurita backs a military insurgency in the Alliance. TC can fight each other to reform, idk.
>>
>>44066648

What if the Suns used surgery to make an Asian guy look really old, when he was only in his 30s or something, customized his appearance, trained him heavily, and then substituted this guy for Daoshen Liao, thus undermining the Capellan Confederations ability to defend itself? Meanwhile, somebody close to Daoshen suspects the trickery, but since everyone else has accepted the double as genuine, they have to fight a one-person crusade to prove the head of state is a fake. Oh, and the RotS would definitely use this opportunity to send a commando team to the Capellan capital on a deniable strike mission...but the fake Daoshen points out that he's learned from history and pilots an Emperor in single combat against the attacking disguised Republic forces, defeating them and cementing his claim to the throne, since only a true Celestial Being could take on a whole company and live to tell about it. He should even take shrapnel in the cockpit and "bleed for the Confederation" - wounding him will humanize him for the reader, after all.

Don't you think that sounds like something original?
>>
>>44066648
I would like a new arch similar to Metal Gear + COD AW:

>merc business becomes the biggest it ever was
>the houses use them more than their own armies, that become more of a glorified police units doing garrison duty
>Mercs get tired of dealing with every petty fight in the universe for
>Mercs realize they are bigger than the House armies.
>they rebel against their contractors

Maybe they create a new faction formed by all the mercenaries or the merc job just get annihilated, I don't know.

It is not a smart story, but it makes sense for Battletech and it is something different
>>
I just got my Battletech intro set
any tips on what to buy next and tactics and shit
>>
>>44067270
Mixing alcohol with medication again?
>>
>>44067400

No, just deliriously happy I got to go back to my house today. After 5 weeks. With emphasis on the "delirious", mind.
>>
>>44066648
Sure.
>a decently long period of peace and rebuilding (including warship fleets) happens, allowing everybody to get their shit together
>a jump anomaly is discovered, allowing two-way 3000LY superjumps to a matching anomaly, located in an unusually dense stellar cluster with a lot of resource-rich and inhabitable worlds
>everybody launches huge colonization drives, including some of the clans and minor powers, plus various groups eager to form their own states
>there's all sorts of intrigue and skirmishing in the Second Sphere
There, 0% rehash plotline
>>
File: 1366093132883.jpg (97 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
1366093132883.jpg
97 KB, 900x720
>>44066648
wave of colonization in near periphery, wars over colonies, etc

>>44044361
You're awesome.
>>
>>44067732
>Literally EVE Online
I approve.
>>
>>44067359
Alpha strike lance packs are easily the best value that isn't the intro box, although you do get less choice in your mechs than I want. But hey, the units are more-or-less well chosen for you, besides oddities like the FUCKING SHOGUN.
>>
>>44066648

Everything is a rehash, and there's no escape. Battletech will be the same people warring over the same territory from now until the franchise dies, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Abandon all hope.
>>
>>44068476

>Implying the franchise isn't already dead, and CGL didn't kill it with the dark age
>>
>>44066069
>>44066275
I'm liking this.
I'm gonna grab TRO3025 and see how they shape up with NEAutocannons
>>
>>44068526
>>44068500
>>44068476
>yfw ilClan Spirit Cat
>>
>>44068476
What if they break the cycle by breaking one of FASA's plot taboos?

If I remember correctly, they were:
>Legitimately supernatural happenings
>Actively participating Sentient AI
>Technologically Advanced Aliens
Would it be worth jumping the shark with one of these to move the plot to new territory?
My personal opinion is no on all counts.

>>44068500
>Dark Age
>CGL's fault
For the hundredth time, unless you're into time travel, choose only one.
>>
>>44068585
>>Legitimately supernatural happenings
Nah
>>Actively participating Sentient AI
Maybe?
>>Technologically Advanced Aliens
Lord no, Battletech having no aliens besides belters is one of its best features.
>>
>>44063681
>Makes sense in a way when you compare it to nam verts who were all kinds of messed up and wrote sad stuff with happy endings.
There's a great old Bill Mauldin cartoon, where three filthy front-line vets are sitting in a cafe, completely trashed, looking at an angry young guy in a perfect uniform. One says to the others "He can't have seen combat, he's lookin' fer a fight".

Truer fucking words, never spoken, etc.

>What would an AC/2 have to weigh to be worth taking?
~3t. That makes it an interesting alternative to an LRM-5, especially if you're seeing combat against VTOLs or enemy air support. Basically you pay a little more weight, but get twice the ammo endurance and a different selection of alternate ammo with similar average damage.
On that note, an AC/5 should weigh ~5.5t, because the fact that two of the current ones outweigh a goddamned AC/20 is completely fucking insane. Imagine, a Rifleman that could actually afford some heat sinks..
>>
>>44067359
>any tips on what to buy next and tactics and shit
Either the Alpha Strike books or download the Master Rules to get some more familiarity with play. the Master Rules differ slightly from the current ruleset, but they're concisely-written and well laid-out. Just be aware that cover rules and some of the terrain rules have changed.

TRO 3039, 3050, and 3085 are some of the best deals in the game, They give you a historical arc for the 'Mechs in the intro box and the Lance Packs, with upgrades for every era. They'll also cover what's in the upcoming Alpha Strike boxed set.

Pick up Solaris Skunk Werks to print out record sheets, and eventually Total Warfare (make sure you get a printing from 2006 or preferably later - and check the errata, there have been some changes).
Note that with Total Warfare there's a bunch of confusing and completely unnecessary shit in the book; just read the sections on "Playing the Game", "Heat" "Combat", and "Ground Movement", ignoring all the shit about other unit types for now.

The Map Packs have small supplemental Rules booklets with a few scenarios designed to teach you advanced rules like using buildings and weather; right now "Cities and Roads" and "Hills and Canyons" are still in print. They're actually pretty well put together.
>>
>>44066069
>>44066275
>>44068526
OK, here's the first batch of 3025 NEAutocannon refits, going from the lightest:
Urbanmech: the extra ton could go to a ML, or maybe a flamer. alternately, if we're going full "dare to be stupid", more AC/10 ammo

Clint: the AC/5 loosing half it's mass means the clint can now pack an almost full armor load, making it a much nicer scout hunter.

Hermes II: the saved weight could do a number of things, add JJs and a half ton of armor, maybe add a second AC/5. alternately, add 2 more MLs and two SHS

Vulcan: in theory, you could go to triple AC/2, which might be funny. going AC/5 plus another flamer and a ML is a hot-running but viable possibility. alternately, going full armor is an option, but a bit same-y

Blackjack: this one has a lot of possibilities. you could have SIX AC/2s. you could also go to dual 5s with more MLs or HS. two LL+2AC/2 replacing all the mediums (and adding 2SHS) could be done

Hatchetman: add another ton of armor, done.

Centurion: Same

Enforcer: add 1 SHS

Shadow Hawk: this is interesting. you could switch the ML to a heavy, or increase the number of missiles. alternately, you could, of course, add a second AC/5 or twin-2s, but those wouldn't be very shad-ish

Wolverine: options are pretty similar to the shad

Dragon: More missiles or 4JJs to go full fat shad are both possibilities

Rifleman: Now we're cooking with gas; many things are possible here: you could go up to a 300 and add another half ton of armor, you could add enough armor to make is almost as beefy as the thud, you could follow the source material and go with four AC/5s on the arms, drop the LLs for more armor and SHS, you could add enough SHS to fire the LLs all the time and some armor, there are a lotta options
>con't
>>
>>44066069
>>44066275
>>44068526
>>44069178
>con't
Jaegermech: now THIS is podracing: 16 spare tons to play with. options include going to twin 10s and twin 5s if you dump the MLs. Alternately, you could keep the armament the same and add seven tons of armor, and a pile of lasers and heat sinks. or go to quad fives, and add armor+two more MLs
Marauder: 20 SHS or more armor and 17 SHS are both possible here, and are both big improvements

Orion: add another heat sink

Zeus: add more LRM ammo and armor

Banshee: Another AC/5 would be good here. alternately drop 1 SHS and add a LL

now, let's take a quick jaunt over to 3026 for vees.

Warrior: triple 2s or a five plus more SRMs are both options. maybe LRMs instead to go with the autocannon

Scorpion: could add missiles or go double fives .a variant with quad-2s, ZSU-style might be neat
Scimitar: basically the same as the scorp

Condor: See above

Vedette: could pack more armor so as to get a bit tougher, or add some LRMs7

Patton: adding a ML works, as might more ammo
Pike: Quad fives or nine(!) twos are options, as are LRMs or more SRMs

Partisan: 8 AC/5s is a hilarious possibility, as is adding LRMs or all sorts of other shit

Behemoth: gets more armor

and that's it for NEAutocannoning all the 3025/26 stuff
>>
>>44069178
>>44069377

Excellent. I would be very happy with all of this.
>>
>>44069377
That was great anon, thanks for posting it.
>>
File: axehead2.png (15 KB, 740x362) Image search: [Google]
axehead2.png
15 KB, 740x362
From "the TRO guys really should be sleeping instead of having stupid ideas" designs, here's the latest teaser.
>>
>>44069797
You have fucked my mech to bits. It was full of Lasers, and now you've turned into... something.
>>
>>44069377
Interesting read. Thanks.
>>
>>44069377
And then we saw how making Autocannons so much lighter is easily abusable on combat vees. Not that I mind, it's a funny idea, but still, I'm pretty sure vees not needing to sink the heat is why they are so damn heavy to begin with.
>>
>>44070413
Meh. Autocannon spam is still never gonna be as good as missile spam for vees
>>
>>44068500

>CGL
>killing BT with DA

Frankly TRO 3145 redeemed a lot of shit I hated from DA. Mainly Steiner being too successful and getting a happy ending.
>>
>>44068387

But why are they so teeny tiny small

>>44066648

The prosperity of the post dark age allows the houses to massively stock pile their armies and navies to the point that even the Kuritas recognize that open warfare would mean actual, literal mutually assured destruction.

Instead wars are now fought primarily with mercenaries and deniable assets for control of border planets and for black operations to cripple their enemies economically. Also to mow the lawns with the Clans when necessary.

Wolf empire grows bigger, Lyrans get small enough that they team up with the FWL, their now only non clan non periphery border. Eventually the families intermarry and the dramatically cut in size Commonwealth joins the League as a member state under the leadership of a Marik Steiner Captain General.

PMCs, mercenaries, Navies and Aerospace along with removing Clan kebab while changing the direction of BT to focus on the individual characters rather than Stackpoles next genetic Ghengis Khan
>>
>>44071252
>But why are they so teeny tiny small
They are standard-sized though.
>>
>>44071252
>Wolf empire grows bigger, Lyrans get small enough that they team up with the FWL, their now only non clan non periphery border. Eventually the families intermarry and the dramatically cut in size Commonwealth joins the League as a member state under the leadership of a Marik Steiner Captain General.

Pro-League though I am, this would never, ever happen.

>Never trust a Capellan, but shoot a Lyran on sight
>>
>>44071252
>But why are they so teeny tiny small
Battleforce packs are dinky. Alpha Strike packs are regular scale - in fact, all of them include at least two minis from the Intro Box.
>>
So I just started reading up on battletech.

What have I gotten myself into /tg/?
>>
>>44073036
>What have I gotten myself into /tg/?
A pretty fun game with some very deep (if sometimes silly) fluff that doesn't shy away from /pol/ territory. Resulting in a fan base that themselves are like a miniature /pol/ at times.

TL;DR have fun, but don't try picking a faction, here there be dragons.
>>
>>44071389
>>44072382

That actually sounds pretty cool
>>
File: 20150909_103722(0).jpg (182 KB, 737x883) Image search: [Google]
20150909_103722(0).jpg
182 KB, 737x883
I'm currently continuing work on some Clan minis using the colour scheme in the attached pic.

I'm thinking of painting the missiles something other than flat black to make them pop a bit more.
However, I'm not sure what colour I could use that might work with the rest of the mini.

What would you guys recommend?
>>
>>44067270
>He should even take shrapnel in the cockpit and "bleed for the Confederation" - wounding him will humanize him for the reader, after all.
Don't belittle Hanse Davion's sacrifices for us all!

He bleeds for his nation! Is it wrong that he should ask others to do the same?
>>
>>44073124
the fuck does /pol/ have to do with any of this, you little heeb?
>>
>>44073915

>He bleeds for his nation! Is it wrong that he should ask others to do the same?

His ulcers don't count anon.
>>
>>44073938
>Charging into their midst, Hanse turned the Death Commandos into their own worst enemies. In such close confines, a missed shot almost invariably hit a comrade, and in a few cases, enemy pilots actually squared off against one another. Lasers shot through the chaotic fray, vaporizing armor of friend and foe alike. Only Hanse, fighting alone, could strike without fear of damaging an ally.

>Twisting and turning with an agility that only a master Mech Warrior could wring from his machine, Hanse repeatedly presented himself as a target, only to fade before an assault. Wielding the Marauder's arm like a club, he laid about with it mercilessly. An overhand blow crumpled the right side of a Centurion, spinning it into the arms of a Crusader. Whirling, letting the blow's momentum carry him full circle, Hanse brought the arm up, catching a Cicada beneath its chin and dropping it onto its back.

>The BattleMaster's canopy shattered as an SRM burst against it. Hanse felt the stinging fire of shrapnel as pieces of the polarized glass sliced into his left arm. A trickle of blood slicked the command couch's left arm. Hanse narrowed his eyes and tightened his grip on the left joystick control. There it is, Mr. Green. I bleed for the Federated Suns. Is it not my right to demand the same from my people?
>>
>>44074021

God he has the shittiest wet dreams.
>>
>>44074050

Wait, Stackpole or Hanse? The first makes sense, but that actually did happen to Hanse, so it's not really fair to characterize it as a made-up power fantasy.
>>
>>44074168

Who gives a fuck about being "fair"? You're as bad as NEA with your idealistic expectations bullshit. Anything anyone does to tear down the Suns or their fans is perfectly fair game, "fair" or not.
>>
>>44074210
wut
>>
>>44073931

see >>44074210
>>
>>44066069
I for one would be pretty down for reunification war 2: electric boogaloo
>>
>>44074210
calm down there stormfury
>>
>>44074168

Frankly I think Hanse dreamed most of that up while he dozed in his chair back at HQ between command sessions.

He was brilliant but not front line material.
>>
>>44074735
Naw, they were the crazed delusions of an insane ComStar acolyte. And that's canon.
>>
>>44074425
/pol/ would love the Suns for being great and Western European. They'd call anyone who tried to tear it down a SJW or something.
>>
>>44073839

White tips with a red dot on the very nose
>>
>>44074819
well, the arguments capfags use against the suns are identical to the privilege arguments SJWs use
>>
>>44075164
So are ALL arguments about fiat, from EVERY angle. Now fuck off or talk about giant fucking robots you cunt.
>>
>>44073036
HELLBOUND
BURNING WITH AUTISM
ON THE OFFICIAL FORUMS
MEN BECOME DILDOS
>>
How come Drac fans are the only ones we never see shitposting?

Is the Combine simply the superior faction?
>>
>>44075779

They don't exist/ they acknowledge they're the bad guy of the setting
>>
>>44075779
>Is the Combine simply the superior faction?
They're weebs who try to speak in moon-rune just like their (d)weeb faction.
>>
>>44075779
Drac fans shitpost all the time, bro. How else do you think >>44074497 has basically become a meme here?
>>
>>44075797
How are they the bad guys? All the wars we in the novels depict them being invaded by the Davions, Steiners and Clans.
>>
>>44075851
*we see in
>>
>>44075851
Get in Hanse's way = bad guy. Why wouldn't you just give your planets to him?
>>
>>44075865
Speaking of which, does make me wish the Tikonov Free Republic had survived the aftermath of the 4th Succession War and at least lasted until Operation Guerrero. Another little nation would have been fun.
>>
>>44075901

Keep Ridzik from getting assassinated and that might be possible. I might try to incorporate that into my next AU campaign.

If that had actually happened and it'd stuck around I might actually switch my allegiance to Tikonov from the Caps
>>
>>44075851

then they massacre Kentares and brutally repress their own citizens to fulfill the wishes of their successively dystopian rulers so they can take over the IS for reasons.
>>
>>44075779
Because their total lack of redeeming qualities means that factionfagging for them will get you trolled into the ground harder than even a taurianfag. The drac fans we get around here seem to be "yeah they're shit but space samurai are cool" which I think everyone is OK with
>>
>>44075958
>dracs kill some people to avenge the murder of their glorious leader
>they're bad guys

>Hanse Davion kills 100 million people to sate his blood lust
>he's good

triggered
>>
>>44076034

I like space samurai, it's just the BT interpretation of Japan is the weird 80s American view of their culture so it's just a parody of stereotypes rather than anything really interesting.

It's like having an entire faction of black face. Gets boring after 30 years
>>
>>44076077

Nobody here likes Hanse
>>
>>44076092
They've gotten better in the last few years.
>>
File: 1381269687385.jpg (157 KB, 816x876) Image search: [Google]
1381269687385.jpg
157 KB, 816x876
>>44076034
SPACE SAMURAI IN COOLING VESTS EVEN COOLER
>>
File: 9c8.jpg (28 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
9c8.jpg
28 KB, 499x499
>>44076104
I do.
>>
>>44076126
>you will never live in an 80s vision of the future
feels bad man
>>
>>44076127
Nonon leave and take your Interface Cockpit WiGe with you.
>>
>>44076106

They have, I agree

>>44076127

Hanse stop provoking civil wars in my House you big dicked faggot
>>
File: Hanse Davion - Cool Mofo.jpg (194 KB, 805x908) Image search: [Google]
Hanse Davion - Cool Mofo.jpg
194 KB, 805x908
>>44076184
>>
>>44076077
>muh 100 million
Oh boy here we go again with the FASAnomics
>>
File: nani sore.gif (2 MB, 461x288) Image search: [Google]
nani sore.gif
2 MB, 461x288
>>44076176
no

>>44076184
no
>>
>>44076491
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g1XfIoHyj8
ur a cheeky cunt mate
>>
how would you feel if in ilClan Jamie Wolf was just ingloriously killed off by Jade Falcon?
>>
>>44076176
Now that I think about it, it would be more likely to be a Vee with a partial wing in the rear, JJs and a pair of NEAC-2s in the front and it would prolly mount a Missile weapon of some sort in the turret along with 6 Medium Lasers. What sort of tonnage could accommodate all this?
>>
Design Challenge: use NEAC/2s and/5s
>>
Design Challenge: use Naval grade weapons on a mech
>>
File: Joseph-oh-my-god.jpg (27 KB, 370x200) Image search: [Google]
Joseph-oh-my-god.jpg
27 KB, 370x200
>>44077210
>>
File: 1418595907327.jpg (54 KB, 601x469) Image search: [Google]
1418595907327.jpg
54 KB, 601x469
>>44077210
Arrow IV urbie. Done.
>>
so what exactly is stopping the IS from making a 10 ton BA?
>>
>>44077472
The same thing that made making a 105 ton mech impossible before the dark age
>>
>>44077565

Grogs?
>>
>>44077565
And that was? You could make a Dual-Cockpit BA, somehow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3dW9dqhcs
>>
>>44077621
Not hardly.
Arbitrary FASA techlimits, as with so much else
>>
>>44077210
Quick, someone post the "Urbie with a NAC" picture.
>>
>>44076593
I'd feel deja vu, since Jamie Wolf was gloriously killed off by Wayne Waco back at the start of the Jihad.
>>
>>44078181

Don't you know, Wizkids revived him, named him Alaric and gave him Victors character shield and Hanses Dick
>>
>>44078303
well, yeah, he's victor's son AND carries more of hanse's blood than anyone else alive. it's no reap surprise
>>
>>44078986

Like half of Kuritans and Liaoans have Hanse blood in them at this point
>>
>>44079518
Haha time for arranged marriages.
>>
File: 1369873329173.jpg (72 KB, 601x575) Image search: [Google]
1369873329173.jpg
72 KB, 601x575
>>44078156
I thought I had it saved, but I can't find it. Have this as compensation.
>>
>>44080303
>LotR with Mechs
Yerse.
>Gimli and Legolas arguing over which of their mechs is better.
>>
>>44079518
>>44079627
All we need now is for the Bene Gesseret to co-ordinate the bloodlines to bring about a messianic reincarnation of Hanse.

>TFW all this time the WoB has been a Gesseret mask.
>>
>>44080303

Oh my god that is beautiful.
>>
>>44080337
Archer and Axman?
>>
>>44080567
I'm sure someone has come up with a whole merc unit dedicated to continuing this joke.
>>
>>44081114
Of course! After all, The Fighting Uruk-Hai need *someone* to job to....
>>
>>44080385
how have you not seen it before
>>
>>44081801
>After all, The Fighting Uruk-Hai need *someone* to job to....
You mean *besides* CGL's master plan to blow up everything even vaguely copyright-problematic in the jihad?
>>
File: UrbanNAC.jpg (167 KB, 800x799) Image search: [Google]
UrbanNAC.jpg
167 KB, 800x799
>>44082386

I have no idea how I've missed that.

In return, and to complete the circle, here's my Urbie with a NAC.
>>
>>44082689
Most of that was FanPro. And given BT's history with law-suits, can you really blame them?
>>
>>44084005

If he's complaining about the Urukhai, he's probably a grog.

So odds are very good he's gonna blame FanPro, yes.
>>
>>44084511
What if I complain about Smithson's Chinese Bandits?
>>
>>44084005
Nope. I've kept most of the lawsuit-threat units alive in my games, but I don't blame the devs for not wanting to get unseen'd or malcomson'd again
>>44084558
I'm right there with you. I always loved them and the Waco rangers.
>>
>>44084667
>malcomson'd again
Alright, this is new to me, care to give a smidge of background?
>>
>>44084690
Look up Scott malcomson, there should be some detailed summaries available
>>
>>44084773
>Look up Scott malcomson
Oh. If you'd said 'Roy Calbeck' I'da known.
>>
>>44085260
My bad. I thought you were new to battletech in general, and saying "Roy calbeck" would be more confusing than "Scott malcomson"
>>
>>44076106
>>44076184

They got better for a while. Between Teddy K's reforms and their continuation by Ho K, plus the Camacho's Caballeros books that showed the DC isn't all oppression all the time, I think someone just though the DC Evil gauge was too low and decided to fill up the tank.

See: First Combine-Bear War, Hohiro's Black Dragon gunji-no-kanrei, Second Combine-Bear War, the Nova Cat incident, the puppet Coordinator with another Black Dragonish 2IC, and we're back to the Dracs configuring their omnis for maximum collateral damage before an urban operation.

>>44084558

Wait, why were the Smithson's Chinese Bandits wiped out? Because of the "Chinese"? Or was there another Calbeck incident?
>>
>>44085781
>Wait, why were the Smithson's Chinese Bandits wiped out? Because of the "Chinese"? Or was there another Calbeck incident?
Nah. Its just that in later years FASA (and later fanpro) became fond of shitwhacking B-list regiments from the early days to show that Shit's Important Yo and How Good The Wolf-Themed Boys Must Be To Survive (see: the bandits getting smashed in gurrero, the Waco rangers jobbing to the cock falcons, the crater cobras, ext)
>>
>>44085887
Well bugger. "Look how real shit's gotten" would have been my third option. I always liked the Chinese Bandits, to the point of playing them for a while.

In fact, it seems a lot of my go-to mercenaries got the shaft during the Jihad. Suc has the Legion of the Rising Sun getting gutted and rolled into the... Kristen's Krushers, I think?
>>
>>44086312
>In fact, it seems a lot of my go-to mercenaries got the shaft during the Jihad
It happened to a lot of us
>RIP Barber's Marauder IIs
>RIP lone star regiment
>RIP battle magic
Gordon's Armored Cavalry and Hansen's Roughriders got fucked up pretty bad, too
At least the Waco Rangers got to check out well, which I wasn't expecting. I figured they'd go out jobbing to the CapCon or something. I'd rather have them around, though, but that hasn't been in the cards since like '98
>>
I got my starter set last week boys and I'm ready to pummel my friends.
Any advice on what mech match-ups are good for beginners to learn the ropes?
>>
File: Consider the Following.png (157 KB, 406x793) Image search: [Google]
Consider the Following.png
157 KB, 406x793
>>44066648
Well it is quite simple, see. All they have to do is prove the warden clans right. A Cloud Cobra emissary arrives on (Wolf-controlled) Terra with a message stating that the remaining homeworld clans are fighting a force from unknown space. Boom, new tech base: Ayy lmao. Now the fractious Human Inner Sphere has to fight alien invaders while still squabbling among themselves.

Basically, we become Infinity.
>>
>>44086820
>aliens in battletech
good lord no
>>
>>44086870
You do realize they will eventually prove to only be "alien" in the sense that they're from unknown space, right? The ayy lmao facade will only be there to get people interested, before it being revealed in an epub that they're just humans with weird tech.
>>
>>44086820
How about fuck off
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 350x345) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 350x345
>>44067317
>>44067732
>>44068226
>>44086820

>new ideas for the game, /btg/?
>lol be another game!
>>
>>44087037
Well it's certainly doing a shit job at being Battletech.
>>
>>44087070
The less reason to add to that by copying things that are bigger shits then.
>>
>>44086897
So basically the very beginning of the Clan invasion again, only drawn out?
>>
>>44086820
No, We steal the Kafers from Traveller 2300.
>>
>>44087484
>"Contact, four 'Mechs, type unknown but look like bandits, all read as heavy or assault. Most look like they have big autocannons, but one of them has a club."
>"Not a hatchet?"
>"Negative. Wait, the melee unit just whacked his buddy in the head with the club!"
>>
>>44087537
Noice

I'd hazard a guess that the Kafers don't really use BA, purely because they don't really need it.

Also, any ideas for Kafer Mech names?
>>
>>44087037
You sound a little retarded, anon
I hope that's not contagious
>>
>>44086654
I always hated how Hansen's Roughriders had that confusing and stupid half-retcon into being of FedSuns origin for no reason. Like there's already a fucking billion mercs companies that originate from the Suns, why did some writer think it necessary to change the Roughriders' origin story?
>>
>>44088395

Huh? AFAIK they've always/only been from the FWL.
>>
>>44088443
FM:Mercs added in some origin story about how they REALLY came from the Federated Suns about 50 years before Anton's Revolt.
>>
>>44088458
One of the writers admitted when he heard the Roughriders had faced down five regiments of Wolf's Dragoons and won, he thought they deserved a better origin than Marik space.
Handbook Mercs, MechWarrior 2nd Edition, Chaos March SB and novels be damned.
>>
>>44087070
>Stop liking what I don't like!!!

Grognards...
>>
>>44088696
>just finished reading a book about Napoleon's Imperial Guard
>see "grognards"
makes me giggle harder at it now, picturing a mustachioed grenadier sitting in his mom's basement complaining about how l'empereur is letting the Young Guard play past 3025.
>>
>>44088747
You just made my day, thanks anon.
>>
>>44088747
Top fucking kek
>>
File: IMG_0062.jpg (187 KB, 800x799) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0062.jpg
187 KB, 800x799
>>44078156
>>44078156
>>
>>44088747
Surprising we haven't got a Grognard Mech, isn't it?
>>
>>44089578
Muninn, take a hint and do it!
>>
>>44087484
>>44087537
What are these kaffirs?
>>
>>44086654
>Wayne Waco's Wild Ride

As a Waco fan, it was fucking glorious. I still remember one of the guys at the LGS who was a big Goons fan and his bewilderment at something bad habbening to them
>>
File: waynewacomag.jpg (80 KB, 549x720) Image search: [Google]
waynewacomag.jpg
80 KB, 549x720
>>44090584
Everyone loves Waco
>>
So the Lyran state is in a rough spot right now. I don't think any state since the 3025 Capellan Confederation has been in such a rough spot.

Are the Lyrans kaput?
>>
>>44091237
They shouldn't have spent all of their military funding on mech-sized hatchets.
>>
>>44090608

I want an edit of Kaminas last fight before dying with Wayne killing a bunch of Dragoons with his last words being "seeya, pussies"

>>44091237

What's worse is that they're going to have to beg Jessica Marik for help. Probably literally
>>
>>44091298
Shouldn't have tried to domesticate a Clan you mean.
>>
>>44091380
>What's worse is that they're going to have to beg Jessica Marik for help. Probably literally

I don't think begging a dead woman for help will do them much good.
>>
>>44091471

It'll do about the same as begging from her daughter
>>
>>44088747
>arguing online
>receive warning
>"the old guard dies, it does not surrender "
>keeps posting
>>
>>44091459
It worked for them once.
Well, one and a half times if you count the Kell Hounds.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 560x420
>>44092452
>>
>>44091459
>>44092452
god I hope the WiE are dead for reals

Kell Hounds are ok but I'd like them to be diminished
>>
>>44093469

I want a Waco successor

The Waco Kid Gang, started in 3147 by Wayne's great grandson. They're only slightly more legitimate than pirates but effective enough to get contracts
>>
>>44092452
>It worked for them once.
>Well, one and a half times if you count the Kell Hounds.
That's cute, but I meant an actual Clan.
>>
>>44094013

It's working for the FWL because it was entirely unintentional and the clans involved are the most politically savvy ones who actually wanted to be a member state
>>
>>44094073
Yeah the psuedoMariks are lucky to have the Spirit Cats and Sea Jews on their side.
>>
>>44094101

Luck is exactly correct. It took a spiteful Marik daughter going native to convince the Cats (and thus the Foxes) that they could prosper in the FWL by convincing the nearby systems to join them and make a Protectorate.
>>
>>44094164
Not just that, they're getting the REAL Cats instead of the Nova Cücks, and now they'll be getting their talons on loads of Clan gear courtesy of the enterprising Foxes.
All it costs is letting them yell in Parliament. Perfect for FWL fans.
>>
>>44094101

>pseudo

But they're actual Mariks now
Okay I'm positive this has been done before but what would have happened if the Jihad was directed at genociding the Clans instead of the IS?
>>
>>44094193
>But they're actual Mariks now
Are they? Not being argumentative, I thought the Marik clan running the show were the fake Marik descendants.

>Okay I'm positive this has been done before but what would have happened if the Jihad was directed at genociding the Clans instead of the IS?
Millions of Clanners die, Ghost Burrs still defeat the WoB.
>>
>>44094201

They're "real" now in the sense that they have been officially married into the Marik line and adopted, so in the royal succession of things they are "Real" Mariks and the house holders for all the Mariks in the IS
>>
>>44094303
So "real" by marriage. Are there any other outstanding Marik lines left?
>>
So the IS clans ever wonder what the Homeworlders are doing?

>I hope those assholes do not show up
>they are probably crazier than we are
>fuck, they kept all the scientists
>plz no reaving

>>44094192
Calling it now. Marik and Clans are going to make BEST SPACE MURICA
>>
>>44094328
>Calling it now. Marik and Clans are going to make BEST SPACE MURICA
Would be cool. I remember folks on the OF saying the Terran Hegemony was Space America.
>>
>>44094325

Yea, plenty of Mariks in the FWL. They threw their weight behind the Oriente Mariks or were shut up. It was their idea to bring Jessica in via marriage, since she was the lawful successor of a Captain General and the rightful heir of Oriente plus she was the only one in position to reunite the FWL
>>
>>44094361
That's cool. Seems fitting for Tommy's descendants to be accepted and recognized considering all he did to try and reform the League.
>>
What would be a plausible size for a mostly-conventional merc unit that's on the bigger side of things? Would two tank and an infantry regiment plus maybe a battalion each of mechs, arty and air be plausible?
>>
I just had a silly idea for how to fix the whole 'no arms' problem with Stalkers.

You simply need to find a way to fit the arms from an Axman, with or without the Hatchet, onto the chassis, maybe using the shoulder setup from a Jaegermech to support them.
>>
>>44094849
For the 29th, 30th, and 31st centuries, sure
>>
>>44095181
Yeah. I'm specifically talking the 3025-65 era
>>
>>44095181
32nd century is such shit
>>
>>44095218
>b-b-but I miss my Mary Sue merc units! Let us be huge again
>>
>>44095304
Why not consolidate the remains of your favorites into one faction.
>"We are not junkyard hounds, We're Diamond Dogs!"
>>
>>44095304
everyone is a Mary Sue
>>
>>44095304
Oh, it's you again. Don't you have anything better to do other than show up here and get all rump rasalhagued everytime people talk about mercs?
>>
>>44094849
Yea it's fairly plausible, although I wouldn't expect it to be at all common. Particularly the infantry regiment, maintaining a steady pay check, food and accommodations for thousands of people long term, without the infrastructure or steady tax flow of a nation? Plus the cost of actually moving all those men? With no patriotism to aid recruitment? Very difficult even compared to a mech or tank regiment.
>>
>>44095603
I agree, but canonically a lot, maybe most regimental or larger mech commands also have a regiment of infantry and THEY can evidently make it work
(Although infantry as contract padding is very useful for the purpose of getting more money, so I can see why)
>>
>>44095508
There's nothing wrong in playing as a Merc. What is wrong are merc units bigger than a company. Battalion-size mercs are some of the most retarded aspect of battletech, just behind the entire Succession Wars
>>
>>44095971
try a different game
>>
>>44096052
I don't need to, the recent Eras pretty much fixed the retarded plot from Fasa
>>
>>44096052
Fairly certain that an appreciable part of the appeal of Battletech is sperging out about random stuff in BattleTech.
>>
>>44095603
I think it helps that outside of like the GDL, 99% of mercenary infantry work is basically security guards
>>
File: the what gang.jpg (37 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
the what gang.jpg
37 KB, 500x385
>>44093871
yoooooooooooo
>>
>>44095323

I do want a DA diamond Dogs equivalent on some ass blasted planet near the Marches. Home to all the displaced Mercs and unwanted soldiers cast out during the dark ages.

Like outreach but without the Mary sue and everybody hates them but still needs them
>>
>>44094410

It was a really hard road and it essentjally required the hard line Mariks who blamed Thomas (Halas, not master) for the Jihad to get annihilated by the Lyrans before Jessica could step in and take over
>>
>>44098129
Ehh, that's slightly less cool. Would have been neater if she'd been able to win them over or marry her heir to one of them.

Actually, doesn't one of those Mariks still have kids puttering about? I seem to recall it being mentioned before in purple burd conversations here. Did the writers forget him/her/xir?
>>
>>44098093
I've given some thought to the idea for my DAAU project. I figure somewhere in the periphery, out of stone's reach might make more sense. Maybe the ruins of the circinus federation?
>>
>>44098196

>Maybe the ruins of the circinus federation?

Just play Fallout 3/NV/4.
>>
>>44098257
Not like circinus itself, I mean the other worlds in the former federation
>>
>>44098191

Well she did win over the Mariks, it's just Anton Marik also wanted to be captain general and had to die first before the league could reform under Jessica.

She managed to convince everyone else that she had what it took to be captain general and they fully accepted her after she married into the Mariks officially. Her children were legitimized as heirs and one is now Captain General.

And there are a lot of Mariks out there. It's not a family that's dying out. Anton supposedly had a son but he never shows up again so he might be hanging out on Terra living it up still
>>
>>44098401
shit, there's an entire branch of marik-steiner-davions who everybody seems to have forgotten about
>>
>>44098478
>everybody seems to have forgotten about
specially the authors
>>
>>44096885

My preferred phrasing goes thusly:

"BattleTech fans actually gain two hobbies - not just one - when they pick up the game. In order of frequency, they are:
1) Bitching about BattleTech
2) Actually playing BattleTech"
>>
>>44098742
No one here actually plays BT, right?
>>
>>44098881
I play a lot of megamek and get in maybe 1 f2f game a month. being a canadafag is suffering
>>
File: vinnie.jpg (69 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
vinnie.jpg
69 KB, 450x450
WarShip (not so) Challenge:

It's 3061, and Operation Bulldog is complete and Task Force Serpent has returned. Based on combat data from Serpent's warship escort, the Free Worlds' Navy leadership is concerned about the viability of the Vincent Mk39 corvette 'FWLS Liberty' in combat. Namely, it was too expensive to salvage and refit, so they want to get their M-bill's worth.

It's being brought in for a service overhaul and as a member of a navy thinktank you get the assignment: changes to make to the Liberty and what role the fleet should use it in. This can include any and all weapons, equipment, small craft, etc. The only requirement is an LF-battery.
The proposed refit will imaginatively be called the Vincent Mk.39M

tl;dr custom Vincent Mk.39 variants
>>
>>44099126
are their cost limitations and/or limitations on how much we can change things? could you up the SI, for example?
just how cheese do you want this?
>>
>>44099221
No cost limitations, though a scribble in the margins of your orders says "within reason, please."
I think changing SI might be too work-intensive. I mean literally altering the internal structure and engine completely. So count that as a solid maybe-to-no.
Anything else, go crazy.
>>
>>44099331
is adding docking collars kosher? I mean, it requires rebuilding the entire KF, core, but so does adding a L-F battery.
>>
>>44099350
Collars are kosher.
The KF drive has to be replaced anyway because they discovered it had raccoons living in it.
>>
>>44099502
alright, and the last thing: do you want a minimum/maximum amount of cargo? I don't like going below 10% but it's your call
>>
>>44099541
Not below 10%, every bit helps.
>>
File: FWLS Liberty Refit.jpg (221 KB, 398x1474) Image search: [Google]
FWLS Liberty Refit.jpg
221 KB, 398x1474
>>44099126
>>44099331
>>44099502
>>44099686
well, here's the final product.
kind of turns the thing into a light destroyer
(I dislike the very concept of the naval autocannon, hence the fact that only the original NACs remain)
it's certainly not fully optimized, but it might be fun
>>
File: Clan Green Burd.jpg (170 KB, 1272x800) Image search: [Google]
Clan Green Burd.jpg
170 KB, 1272x800
Could I ask for some ProtoMech help? Confession time: I've been in games with Protos, I've written/GM'd games with Protos, and I've made people use them a bunch...but I've never actually played Protos myself. Shameful, I know.

So anyway, I'm in a campaign where I have to create a force which includes a ProtoMech Point. Limitations are:
>38k BV2 absolute maximum for the entire force. P/G scores are fixed and not changable (Protos are Gunnery 4, like ASF pilots).
>Date is about 3070, but it can be a *little* fuzzy; something popping out in 3071 is fine, something in 3075 is out.
>Must be from the Homeworld Clan General or Jade Falcon entries on the MUL.
>NO SOCIETY SHIT

Thus far, my force consists of:
Alpha Star
>Stormcrow B
>Night Gyr B
>Hellbringer F
>Timber Wolf H
>Visigoth C (x2)

Bravo Star
>Hellhound
>Summoner C
>Summoner C
>Turkina B
>Kingfisher D

Charlie "Sadsack" Star
>Fire Falcon E
>Shadow Cat H
>Hunchback IIC
>Night Gyr D
>FIVE PROTOMECHS OF SOME TYPE AND OH GOD I DON'T KNOW THIS SHIT

Total BV2 is 34125, so there's 3875 BV2 available for the Protos. Do note that we have to pay for repairs/reloads/replacements, so taking a bunch of Harpy-level shit isn't going to be real productive. Anyone have suggestions on which Protos would be useful to me here?
>>
>>44100437
my protomech experience is limited to playing against them, but out of those that I've faced, the Cecerops is ungodly annoying, like a fucking savannah master with legs (though it does have a smaller gun, but it can melee, the bastard) The minotaur is the closest to being a "mini-mech" and it did pretty well. since the Delphyne is supposedly basically an improved minotaur, it would probably be good as well

also, as the resident warship expert, would you care to take a look at my go at a vincent refit >>44100193 ?
>>
>>44098961
Pff, try being a Quebecfag. Even worse. At least Torontits have a decent group available to them.
>>
>>44100941
Die, Frenchfag, Die, Die, Die!
You're everything that's wrong with this country.
>>
>>44100941
I'm in fucking Hamilton. There's like one LGS that sells magic and X-wing and doesn't even have a used books section. The only reason I get ANY f2f games is by going to Toronto once in a while
>>
>>44090551
Käfers. Bug-like aliens who fought a war against humanity in the Traveller setting. They have this wierd tic in that they typically go into a fight as fumbling-dumb as the worst boot-fuck recruit, but after five minutes or so in battle, they're as canny as hardened veterans.
I understand that it has something to do with their version of adrenaline turbo-charging their brains. The most dangerous Käfers are the ones who've fought so many battles that these neurochemical changes set and become permanent....
>>
>>44097003
And a good thing, too. Having someone steal your DropShips out from under you is not only embarrassing, it costs you a good chunk of your unit's support infrastructure.
>>
File: ProtoMech Roles.png (102 KB, 892x512) Image search: [Google]
ProtoMech Roles.png
102 KB, 892x512
>>44100437
Namefagging it up just this once. Don't like it, deal with it.

Jade Falcon Protos, huh? Quick question to start things off: is this a 100% canon campaign? I gotta ask - the Falcons "officially" phased Protos out by 3064. If that's not a concern, your selection is still kind of limited. The Falcons never really toyed around with many designs, and mostly only had access to lighter (and shittier) ones. They used the:

>Centaur 1/2/3
>Erinyes 1/2
>Gorgon 1/2
>Harpy

...and that's it, unless the MUL has given them access to more.

Of those, we can safely eliminate the Erinyes and Harpy because who in their right mind would ever willingly choose to field the goddamn things. That leaves the Centaur and Gorgon, which then leads me to the next question: will Zell be used in this campaign? If it will, stick with Gorgons. A whole Point of Gorgon 2s. You'll need their firepower and armor to successfully bully Light and Medium 'Mechs in duels. If not, I'd probably go for Centaurs instead. Load them with Smoke and Inferno rounds, and use them to support the 'Mechs. Worst comes to worst, mix and match them both...but that wouldn't be my preference.

That said, 3875 BV is a huge amount for just five Protos. A full Point of Gorgon 2s will cost you 1540 BV, and even a Point of Minotaur 3s (the most expensive non-Society Proto) just costs 2215 BV.
>>
>>44100598

OK, I'll look into those.

As for the WarShip, that's not a terrible ship. Insofar as it's got the throw-weight of a cruiser and it has the armor/SI of a destroyer, anyway. Strategically, what that ship represents is something like the Hellbringer, in that it dies first, because it's easy to kill and represents a bunch of firepower off-board if you kill it.

Aside from the whole issue of it being massively better-armed than ships twice its mass, the biggest thing you need to look at are the bracketing fire rules. ESPECIALLY with Naval Lasers, you want them in bays of 3 or 4 all the time. Your broadsides suffer badly as a result of this; cut your nose NL bay in half and move them to the sides (into 3-gun bays). Even better would be deleting the standard-scale armament completely, in an effort to find tonnage to make the R/LBS bays into 4-gun bays. If you have to have standard-scale armament, start with a shitton of anti-missile weaponry in all arcs, and use your ASFs to kill the other guy's ASFs. It's flat-out impossible to mount a useful volume of anti-fighter weapons...pretty much ever, actually. You've got capital missiles, and your NLs can be turned into bracketing AAA guns. Use those.
>>
>>44101449
>and that's it, unless the MUL has given them access to more.

To follow up on this, I just checked: the MUL doesn't add anything to the list. And it doesn't look like there are any Homeworld General designs, either. Even the most common Protos (Roc, Minotaur) aren't in use by at least one of the Homeworld Clans. Guess it depends how bendy you want to be with canonicity.
>>
>>44101546
yeah, I was kind of worried about making it overgunned.
>bracket-firing rules
right, need to look into those
>It's flat-out impossible to mount a useful volume of anti-fighter weapons...pretty much ever, actually
fuckin ASFs, ruining WarShips for everybody

(I won't lie, the only time I ever actually played a tabletop match with warships was using battlespace rules, so I really do need to lrn2aerotech 2)
>>
Does anyone have the screencap of a BattleTech history summary that continually referred to ComStar as the phone company? I need it for a friend.
>>
>>44101449
>GreekFire posts in /btg/
Neat
>>
>>44101449
>>44101546

Nice, thank you. Zell will be used intermittently. It's a Warchest-based system, and players can opt to follow zell for extra Warchest points. The framework for the campaign is essentially quasi-canon: the PCs each control a Trinary of "troubleshooters" (as in "find trouble and shoot it) assigned to the Clan Watch. They bid against each other for the right to play their force - loser plays OPFOR against the winner. The fact that Falcons pretty much phased out Protos several years prior doesn't matter a ton under this framework, but that's useful to know, because it might affect how I set up OPFOR forces.

And apologies for the delay in response - I'm posting during episode breaks. My wife had never watched Star Trek before; we started with TOS and we're about halfway through Season 4 of DS9 at 3 episodes/night.
>>
>>44101603
>Even the most common Protos (Roc, Minotaur) aren't in use by at least one of the Homeworld Clans.

Actually they are, several of them in fact.

The issue is that there simply are no protomechs on the HW Clan general list on the MUL at all. Apparently one or two Clans not playing with protos prevents them from making that cut, but you look at the individual entries and it shows that plenty of HW Clans did use them.

Still, I agree the Gorgon 2 is a solid pick. Or even the 1, if he wants to use long range/IDF antics with them, and the 3 makes a good vehicle hunter, especially in cities.
>>
What's the longest-running merc unit that you've played? How large did it get? What was your commander's personal mech?
>>
>>44091915
>finally get banned
>"La Garde recule!"

>>44093871
do want

>>44093469
Remove goon remove goon

>>44094193
The IS would all gather behind the WoB, committing enough troops to crack the Clans after WoB shock troops break things open. They then set out the the Homeworlds, only to find that the Manei Domini already did all the work and greet them with gently glowing cookies.

BLAKE VULT

>>44095110
>implying the Stalker needs fixing

git out

>>44098191
>>44098478
In my AU the FWL and feddies merge instead of the Feds and Lyrans. They spread DEMOCRACY and INEFFICIENT BEAURACRACY amongst the stars.

>>44101191
iirc they evolved to avoid the nutritional cost of intelligence except when really needed. Always liked them.
>>
>>44094193
Homeworlds wiped out, Society absorbed by WOB, Spheriod Clans slowly crushed under the numbers of the united IS, new Star League with WoB in power.
>>
>>44102310
Hmm, ok...in that case, I think I'd personally go for the Centaurs.

The utility of a total of 5 SRM + LRM racks, each with their own combination of ammo (you choose ammo types on a per-shot basis for Protos) is too much to pass up on. Inferno, Thunder, Smoke, Tear Gas (if you wanna be munchy)...they're all way more useful than just a handful of MPLs. And since you're bidding, you can cut them whenever you suspect that you'll be fighting with Zell. Win/win.

NP for the delay, I'm initiating my own GF to Star Wars these days. Gotta get her ready for the new movie I'll be dragging her to.

>>44102635
Homeworld General means that every Homeworld Clan uses them. The Satyr doesn't make the cut because the Adders don't use 'em, the Roc isn't used by the Hellions or Adders, and the Coyotes apparently avoid the Minotaur. It's pedantic, but them be the rules.

I do think, however, that as the most common ProtoMech designs they could definitely be used by NEA's Falcons.
Not sure I'd change any of my suggestions, though. The Minotaur and Roc are IMO overpriced, while the Satyr is situationally good. You absolutely *need* double blind or hidden unit rules to bring out its full potential.
>>
>>44093871
I had a unit like that, though it coexisted with the rangers when we played it. It was commanded by Wayne Waco's great-nephew, Robert Lee Waco and his wife, Ruby Ridges-Waco
Me and the other players were each lance commanders, while another buddy who I convinced to GM that campaign controlled Waco and the overall unit
in the AU that I'm still tinkering with, they end up rejoining the rangers proper, after Wayne takes his battalion of old boys/most committed goon haters to outreach
>>
>>44102635
Ah, and I just understood what you meant by
>Actually they are, several of them in fact.

I should have written "even the most common Protos have at least one Homeworld Clan that doesn't use them."
Sorry, ESL. I fuck up sometimes.
>>
>>44073839
Olive drab.
>>
>>44102985
>Tear Gas (if you wanna be munchy)

Wait what
>>
File: Huldra.png (20 KB, 368x503) Image search: [Google]
Huldra.png
20 KB, 368x503
Been looking at monsters recently for tabletop gaming, and after a refresher reading of the Huldra, I though it might make an interesting BA design. In the lore, they are secretive creatures that can be helpful if treated well, but are tough and can rip a man's arms out of their sockets if displeased. So I decided to go a bit weird with it and make them basically a recon suit, and a non-combatant. So, they have their requisite ECM suites, their TAG/sensor dispensers for being helpful, and the twin magclaws if they need to hitch a ride or tear something apart. They can also tank a MPL shot each, so they are pretty tough for their weight as well. I also capped their mobility because why not? All in all I like them quite a bit, but I realize people may not care for a BA design that can't really shoot anything. I just envisioned them as a "specialist" that you'd only field a few of, and use them as scouts and spotters. Thoughts? I might fluff it out a bit if people like it. I was thinking of making it a Dominion unit, but it certainly look like something the Cappies would field as well (but I think they have a recon suit already, and I'm pretty sure it's better than this). I also considered making it a Medium BA as well, but I feel like a lot of the time Lights don't get enough love around here, so I stuck with my guns on that.
>>
>>44103640
you're buggered if you get caught in the open, but it's very decent in it's role
>>
>>44101191
That stuff in the spoiler (well, not exactly a spoiler if you're familiar with 2300AD) is correct: the Käfer brain chemistry is wired so that violence or threat of violence supercharges their intelligence. Get an intelligence boost enough times, it becomes permanent and the Käfer becomes an officer equivalent. That is why the officers carry those beating sticks - they can whack their underlings with it to give them intelligence boosts without actual flying lead or gauss needles. The officers command ground troops or tank crews (there is literally a crewmember whose only job is to make sure the tankies stay on the ball).

The really bright Käfers become starship commanders, and the brightest of them become really dangerous bastards like Triumphant Destiny who kicked humanity's arse up and down the French Arm.

And this is why the Käfers felt humanity presented an existential threat to their existence: humans are smart *all the time*, which means they must be incredibly warlike. And given that there have been multiple incidents where "smart barbarians" - basically Käfer Mongol hordes who fought so much they were on the intelligence boost all the time - had wiped out their civilisations that they feel they have to do it to humans before the humans do it to them.

Of course, it helps when you've subjugated and enslaved a very intelligent species who helps with your spaceship and weapons technology.
>>
>>44103736
I've always thought that a battletech/Traveller:2300 is very fun as a crossover, probably my most favourite.
Traveller:2300 with mechs would be a goddamn amazing stetting. even thinking about it gets me going
Halo/Mass Effect is a medium-end second, but T:2300/BT is a stronk first
>>
>>44103731
Pretty much what I was going for, yeah. Not something you try to "multitask" with. Shouldn't even go after infantry with it.
>>
>>44103780
>Halo/Mass Effect is a medium-end second, but T:2300/BT is a stronk first
I dunno, reading some of the stuff about the Forerunner-Flood War is pretty much "Forerunners make the Reapers look like little bitches." Things like the Forerunner fragging part of a spiral arm of the Milky Way to slow down the Flood. Slow. Down.

>>44102834
My own? 110 years, with a succession of personnel changes, until I used them in a game with my players, and my players ran roughshod over them and gutted the mech battalion with concentrated artillery fire, then destroyed all of their aero assets by bombing them on the tarmac, followed by dropping a FAE on the second battalion, which was a mix of vees and BA infantry. Remember kids, you too can become the Wilson's Hussars if you don't remember that Mercenary work is primarily cutthroat dickishness.

The actual longest one? My dad rolled one up for home game his old GM used to run for a late 80s (87 or so) campaign series. The way their unit generation worked, it was possible to get enough C-Bills to buy the ELH. So... yeah. Anyway, I pushed them back to being original SLDF vintage, since they had the gear for it, and they're still kicking around the IS in the 3140s, and true to my dad's general amusement factor, they raided the last planet that still played baseball to steal that year's World Series trophy... and a munitions stockpile for their employer.
>>
>>44103921
>I dunno, reading some of the stuff about the Forerunner-Flood War
alright, yeah, I came to this conclusion back when nylund had written the vast majority of halo novels and the forerunners were still a mystery. on the off chance I finish working on the associated job of fanfiction, I'm a gonna ignore about 90% of stuff written after 343 took over
>>44102834
starting 3030, ending '67 when nobody really wanted to play jihad. two batts mechs, two each infanty and tanks, plus another of arty and a "wing" of ASFs
>>
>>44103965
>>alright, yeah, I came to this conclusion back when nylund had written the vast majority of halo novels and the forerunners were still a mystery. on the off chance I finish working on the associated job of fanfiction, I'm a gonna ignore about 90% of stuff written after 343 took over
Oh yeah, Nylund is still tops, though Staten's books can be pretty fun. I just find the scale of the Flood war hilarious, and it makes sense for the Halos to be built at that point. I'd avoid anything by Traviss for obvious reasons, and start spitting at 343 saying "U CAN BE ANY SPARTANZ" with respect to the IVs and their hilariously broad acceptance of candidates (Like all of the ODST squad from 3:ODST bar Dutch and the Rookie getting to be IVs... because reasons).
>>
>>44103988
well, yeah. as a star wars fan I immediately refused to read anydamnthing by traviss
I don't mind the flood war being proper huge, as the halos wouldn't make much sense otherwise. i just like wondering "man, what went so wrong as for the forerunners to consider this a good idea" rather than having it spelt out for me

the IVs make some sense. but to me they are barely spartans; they're really Orion 2.0 more than they are the successors to SPARTAN II and III. I don't mind them giving out mediocre augs to any ODST who shows up, but at least the proper Spartans can still whip them six ways from sunday, as it ought to be (unless some dumbshit novel coming out in the last two years has changed this)
>>
>>44096868

Jesus... first it's "CGL is fucking up BTech" and now it's "FASA fucked up BTech".

Can you mother fuckers make up your God-damned minds?
>>
>>44104148
Consensus seems to be that BT is fucked up.
>>
>>44104148
well, "CGL is fucking up BTech" is grogs, while "FASA fucked up BTech" is just straight bait. this guy has been throwing a fairly consistent sort of mediocre trolling all over /btg/ for a while now, which you appear to have fallen for
>>
>>44104196
Heh. Alright, fair enough. :-D
>>
New to BT. There is a campaign set at the start of the clan invasion. The area is Draconis Combine space and Hell's Horses are the clan that is attacking.

I am looking to start an inner sphere group but do not know who. I could go random mercs but was wondering if there was someone who fit the bill. I want a group that is either allied to or willing to fight with Draconis Combine. I want fast mechs that pack a punch or fast mechs backed up by a strong ranged mech for tactics.

Anything come to mind for a group? Also any mechs come to mind? I like the Dervish I have played with if that helps just wish it had more dakka or less short and more ranged/focused dakka.
>>
>>44104277
I think at that stage the only people willing to fight with the Dracs were other Dracs.
>>
>>44103965
>I'm a gonna ignore about 90% of stuff written after 343 took over
That is very grognard for you
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.