[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DMs, have you or would you ever kick out a player for not interacting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 1445310700769.jpg (56 KB, 576x375) Image search: [Google]
1445310700769.jpg
56 KB, 576x375
DMs, have you or would you ever kick out a player for not interacting with the game enough?

Someone who for example, never took an action unless directly asked, never took any risks, and immeadiately handed any plot coupons off to other players as soon as they recieved them?
>>
I wouldn't kick them out, but I would take them aside and ask if they genuinely wanted to play.
>>
No, but I'd challenge them. How long can they remain a bystander? How long can they stay neutral? I'd separate them from the group and put them through all sorts of tests.
>>
>>44058247
Eventually, yes. But I'd have a conversation with them first about why they're not playing the game they claim to want to play.
>>
>>44058314
>>44058305
>>44058288

What if you've talked with him and it turns out he's just super passive? He doesn't like the spotlight, never has any ideas, and shows up because he finds the game entertaining even if he has absolutely no urge to contribute?
>>
>>44058453
Ask him if he'd rather just watch instead of play. I'm alright with having an audience, so long as he doesn't disrupt things, and it might take the pressure of him actually having to play off his shoulders.
>>
>>44058453
Then fair enough. So long as they dont disrupt the game and dont get on other players nerves we're good
>>
>>44058247
No, because it just means it's a failure on my part.

But again, I'm still a young teacher, full of hope and faith in humanity.
>>
>>44058247
Had a guy like this in my group for 2 years. Wish I had just asked him what the deal was. But I never did, which I heartily regret.

Better do that, the sooner the better too.
>>
>>44058529
That's a good answer
>>
I've never had to do it, but I once saw it happen. It was in a D&D game, with all the characters in a starting location and a plot thing occurring that was obviously meant to bring us all together.

Most of us went for it, but one guy turned around and walked the opposite direction. The GM tried to keep going with him, to give him a few chances to rejoin the rest of the group, but eventually just gave up. The guy never showed up to the second session. I find it hard to understand the mindset of a guy like that.
>>
I used to be like this when I was new, except instead of being really passive I was more of a comedy relief character. My DM remedied this by putting me in the forefront of the story, where I was basically forced to get my shit together.

Also, as has been mentioned, it really comes down to how many players you have. If it's a bigger group it can be hard to get a word in edgewise. If a certain player continually steals the spotlight from other players you need to put that shit to a stop quick.
>>
>>44058453
I'd probably invite somebody to replace him because he's wasting precious table space. No offense, I just don't have a table large enough to justify having spectators. If I did, I would. As it is, I'd rather my group only have real players in it who want to actively participate.
>>
They're probably justy shy, or not comfortable roleplaying yet.

>and immediately handed any plot coupons off to other players
What might be an obvious "plot coupon" to you might not be to them.
>>
>>44058247
I quit a group for doing the exact opposite. DM made a highly restrictive world, in Black Crusade (think about that). Weapons, drugs, unemployment, gambling, and assembling into groups were all illegal.

I made a very combat focused character, and since we all discussed what we were going to play this one not a surprise to anyone.

Anyway, first day in game went like "You wake up. You have a little time before work, what do you do?" We all did some stuff, GM then said "All of you go to work. For eight hours". Then it was like six hours before curfew and we all had to sleep.

I wasn't having it so I made a plan to shoot my way into the scavenger buggie place, steal one and bug out. One Heretek wanted to come, his player didn't like this shit either, and the Heretek was going to be Khornate - blood must flow and all that.

After the session I was yelled at by almost everyone, save the Khornate Heretek, for being That Guy and derailing the campaign. Was told I should've explored more, done some shit. Regardless, didn't play a second session in that crap.
>>
>>44059102
>Weapons, drugs, unemployment, gambling, and assembling into groups were all illegal.
He'd be a great Paranoia GM.
>>
>>44058247

No and Yes.
If autism or newfag, prolly no. Let them learn and sink in. Most of new players are quite often quiet at first. Especially that im playing with mostly friends now and new guys are kind of intimidated at first what is even going on.

If he is an asshole and just do this on purpose i would do the same as if he's dicking around and joking or something. GTFO from my group, take your shit and leave.

There are of course exceptions. Hangover fuck's for example. Ill give them a pass sometimes.
>>
Well, once I had a player, who was as passive and cautions as possible. She role-played federation observer in a ship of ragtag galaxy explorers and she wrote some hilarious report after each gaming evening.
>>
>>44058247
A benign player isn't a poisonously bad player. Just prod him a bit more, usually you just need to get them engaged even if it can be frustrating to find a hook that catches.
>>
I was one of these players once.

As I think the only person in that table who didn't also speak French, I had to deal with the fact that sometimes when the other guys were talking amongst themselves, they would lapse into French and I wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying. That, combined with a slightly railroady DM, left me a bit annoyed but still wanting to play since it was the ONLY game I could find.

So, I made Torr from Mortal Kombat X.

Almost a direct port, really. Half-Ogre Brawler, never talked beyond grunting and faded into the background outside of combat, but any time brute strength was needed he was there front and center and grinding enemies into pulp.

I started that game as a half-elf Bard. I only went wallflower mode after it became clear that clever plans and working around combat wasn't going to really be an option, so I figured fuck it, I'll make a character that just won't take the kind of actions that will end up getting shut down by the DM.

...looking back, that probably wasn't a healthy game to be in.
>>
I've had a similar experience as OP while running a game for a couple of friends who have never played PnP before, but were acquainted with the idea through cultural osmosis/videogames.

I had them meet at an inn in a port town, and made a situation which was likely to drive to them to form a party. Except, one guy explicitly wanted to make a character who couldn't speak the common language (even after I strongly advised him no to do so), who then proceeded to sit at a table, drinking wine alone (ingame) and ignoring anything going around him, and who finally went to his room in the inn to sleep when the rest of the party was formed and ready to move out. Later I even tried to give him a hook to engage him and make his character leave the room by sending a summons from a mysterious character, but he literally just refused and went back to sleep.
>>
File: 1390673832673.jpg (12 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1390673832673.jpg
12 KB, 250x251
>>44059201

>I really hope you die in a car crash on you war home from work today.

Shit, he's probably new into this. Give him a brake bro.

You right on everything else. People forgot that being GM/DM is almost like a job or at least i treat it like that. Kind of shaman shit or something. I organize everything, food, place even transport sometimes. They just come in and chill and enjoy. Everything is ready.

Then again its MY ship and MY rules but i usually do it for THEM. If someone is dicking around i throw the fucker out of my house mid-game not giving a fuck but i do it because 3/4 other players are enjoying shit out of it not because my ego or something.

Players are priority and if session goes well i will enjoy and somewhat expect similar thing if im playan.
>>
>>44058247
Absolutely not. Why would I?
>>
There was once a time in my life when RPGs sounded fun to me

After going on /tg/ though, it sounds like it's not for me, too many expectations, too reliant on other people's social skills, which I have no faith in, especially the kind of man children that play these games
>>
>>44058453

depends how large the game is and how much demand there is to join.
>>
>>44059523

top kek

01/10

to transparent
apply yourself
>>
>>44058247

New guy, similar question, seems better to jump in this thread than start my own.

Would you ever kick a player out for not speaking clearly or in an organized fashion? I'm not talking an occasional mumble, or tripping up on the pronunciation of some weird made up word, but someone who seems to have serious trouble forming ordinary, comprehensible sentences?
>>
>>44059611

You can believe what you like but that was from the heart

I did some simple rp'ing once (not a campaign, didn't make a character, just began a simple scenario) and it was just awful, I felt like there was no point in doing anything except trying to read the DM's mind, because if I did anything that wasn't exactly what he expected, i wouldn't make any progress
>>
>>44058247
I sometimes do this when I'm down in the dumps about something outside the game. I'll try to do stuff, but it's minor actions like making stimpacks for the party or running out into the battlefield to save a party member.

I'm a bit of a shy guy when it comes to stuff like rpgs, it's weird.
>>
>>44058247
No? It's hard enough for everyone to find time to get together, I'm not going to kick someone for something that doesn't negatively affect anyone else. I might ask afterwards if they're enjoying themselves or have an issue with the campaign, though.

>>44058453
Hmm. See, if he finds the game entertaining, then he enjoys playing, and thus should have no issues with contributing. Sounds like there's something else getting in the way. If I don't get any hints regarding what that is, then I guess I'd just try to work in some ways that only that player could contribute (make use of a skill that only his character has, or work in a racial situation thing if he's a different race, it all depends on the context of the game), and see how he reacts.

In regards to online roleplaying, I find that generally when a player is particularly passive, it is because they're new and are afraid of messing up the flow of things. And that's generally easy enough to work out with some after session discussion.
>>
File: 1448416114445.jpg (31 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1448416114445.jpg
31 KB, 540x540
My girlfriends little sister (17), is the most passive and timid player I have ever had. Shes completely new and unknowledgeable about any aspect of the game. I have my current campaign very roleplay heavy so its pretty tough on her, but the group (5 pc's including her) kind of picks up the slack. I really just challaenge her and make it so shes not able to always just stand there.

But kicking her out? no. If she cant roleplay well, that just takes practice.

I have kicked out a player once for being meta as FUCK. Nothing in character. I'd have an npc talking to his character, and his responses were literally "Its not really worth exp" or "Do you have anything for my stats? like +1 dex?". That shit, always. Told him to go back to his fucking video games because the other players told me they couldnt get immersed.
>>
>>44059829

Then quit the fucking name calling and stereotyping.

Sounds like you just got shit DM and a group.
Sound even more like that was you who sperg out without no social skills.

Man children? Seriously?
I would like to show you my group seriously. I would never call anyone a man child ever again silly. Not everyone is a fucking neckbeard here. Shit, most of us ain't.
>>
>>44059829

>you would't* call anyone a man child

typed that fast ffs
>>
>>44059829
Im sorry that experience went that way. That was a terrible fucking DM. Stick with it bro, find a game and give it a go. It can be very rewarding to actually play a game with a good DM
>>
>>44058247
I've actually disbanded my ENTIRE GROUP because I felt they weren't involved with the game enough.

I'm here to create a world and let you guys run around in it. I'm not here to play the "Let's eat the DM's food while he talks for 4 hours" game.

My new group is way, WAY better.
>>
File: 1443598233558.jpg (80 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1443598233558.jpg
80 KB, 480x320
>>44059827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WKCtm14VVs

nothing's gonna fudge my rolls for you?
>>
File: 1447428952861.jpg (9 KB, 236x177) Image search: [Google]
1447428952861.jpg
9 KB, 236x177
>>44060319

anon i...
>>
>>44059174
>letting players show up hungover

It seems awfully disrespectful to show up in a shit state. It communicates that you don't give a fuck about the campaign and are only there to warm a seat, eat snacks, and touch dice occasionally
>>
>>44059827
Does it seem to be anxiety related or is he just a brick? Maybe he can play a barbarian if it's the latter
>>
>>44060679

I would't accept similar kind of shit from some new player but being older I wrote that i play mostly with old friends now.

I also wrote that i give them pass, not that im gonna passively accepting dickhead behavior.
>>
>>44060846

I think the latter, I don't know him that well, but one of the other players does, and apparently he's like this all the time.

And even playing a pure martial is difficult, as his verbal difficulties extend to making it hard to understand what he's attacking, or what (if any) items/abilities he's using.

We get a lot of "I'll try the uh, thing" or the "it" that gets attacked.
>>
>>44060170

The gm was a friend of mine

He's a cool dude all things considered, but yeah I guess he wasn't a good GM

The issue is that everybody else I've met who is into RPGs has shown signs of the same issues, those issues being:

>high opinion of their own understanding of role playing games
>highly competitive
>stubborn

When I combine what I know of the friends of mine who would be down to play RPGs, and the stories in these threads of RP scenarios, I just know I would have a terrible time

I know the first time a player attempts something that they think should work, and it doesn't, the whole game will collapse
>>
>>44063032

It's like playing a pretend gun fight

It only works if nobody is trying to win

But that's not possible for my friends, the DM will be oppressive, and the players will be belligerent
>>
>>44060262
I played a game like this over skype once. I was a player, but I was the only one who interacted with the NPCs or made any contribution to advancing the story in any way. When I asked the group something like "Do you think x is a good idea?" or "Should we do y or z?" all I got in response was "Sure, sounds good," or "whatever". Eventually I just left and the group collapsed as a result. I felt bad for the GM who made an honest effort but I wasn't going to waste any more time on that shit.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.