[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overworld Travel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 9
File: hex_subhex.png (42 KB, 1021x768) Image search: [Google]
hex_subhex.png
42 KB, 1021x768
Does anyone know a game that has a good/decent mechanic for overland travel and wilderness exploration? I'm trying to set up something between hex crawl and navgation-by-landmarks, and I'd like to take a look at how others approached this.
>>
Take movement speed, divide it by a certain number to come up with hex-distance moveable each "turn"?

Come up with an amount of food or supplies the party consumes each "turn"?

Fill the map with areas the party can harvest for these resources, either once or repeatedly?

???

PROFIT?
>>
Try... Traveller? Which I actually misread your title and how I got here. Massive world-generation rules in various editions, with city, continental, and world map creation aids and rules. There is a 'bootstrap' type supplement for TNE that talks about guiding fledgling colonies into profitable, surviving places, too.
>>
File: slackbox.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
slackbox.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44055825

This is a big trope in OSR games, so dig through the Trove in the OSR general and see how some different systems come at it.
Labyrinth Lord, Adventurer Conquerer King, Swords and Wizardry, and plenty of others have rules for this, ranging from fairly simple and straightforward to somewhat complex.
Have some resources, too.
>>
File: hexcrawl-basic-cheat-sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
hexcrawl-basic-cheat-sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44059189
>>
File: hexcrawl-advanced-cheat-sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
hexcrawl-advanced-cheat-sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44059209
>>
>>44055825
Ryuutama is almost entirely about travel, give that a looksee.
>>
File: One Page Wilderness v2.png (131 KB, 1510x1130) Image search: [Google]
One Page Wilderness v2.png
131 KB, 1510x1130
>>
File: hexcrawl-worksheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
hexcrawl-worksheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
1 hex per day on foot.
>>
>>
File: sixmilehex+copy.png (144 KB, 1034x1200) Image search: [Google]
sixmilehex+copy.png
144 KB, 1034x1200
>>44059271

That's be okay for a ~20 mile hex of plains where it was easy to travel. 24 if there's a road. But difficult terrain will slow them down.

Six mile hexes have some advantages for for GM tracking, though, and you can get a max of four in a day.
>>
File: crude6milehexstockholm.png (519 KB, 805x629) Image search: [Google]
crude6milehexstockholm.png
519 KB, 805x629
Also, a six mile hex is a MASSIVE amount of space. Here's one overlaid on Stockholm. You can realistically fit a large amount of stuff in one six-mile hex, but more likely you'll have one major thing and maybe one minor, hidden thing.
Using 24 mile hexes like that means you have a vast, howling wilderness with settlements so far apart that it only makes sense if the world just went through some apocalyptic event and there's been no time to rebuild.
>>
>>44055825
I recall Gabe from Penny Arcade cooked up something interesting for his campaign, I think the details are online somewhere.
>>
The wilderness travel rules from B/X.
>>
You could borrow from Dwarf Fortress' fast travel.

Can't go through mountains with it

They have to be outside (could be modified to be surface level, so no fast travel from the inside of a dungeon)

Can't cross deep rivers unless there is a bridge. There are shallow ones that can be automatically crossed.

There are night creatures that move around, but that might be too difficult to implement; you could put encounters in certain hex tiles, maybe a few that move when the party moves.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.