[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't young wizards like Cowboys in your setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 261x464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 261x464
Why aren't young wizards like Cowboys in your setting?
>>
>>44052148
Because the librarian will break your arms if you shout "cast!" in the library.
>>
>>44052148
Because there already are Cowboys, and they hate Witches as a general rule.
>>
>>44052148
Because wizards by and large don't use guns, dress in anything but robes, drink alcohol so close to poison it can be used as paint thinner, or get shot several times and shrug it off easily. Wizards are nothing like cowboys because they're too squishy.
>>
File: fantasy man with no name.jpg (714 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
fantasy man with no name.jpg
714 KB, 1000x1414
>>44052148
Because it isn't gritty.

Wizards control forces of nature, discover unseen bits of the cosmos, and use science and hard work to stomp on those fighters who bullied them early on.

The Cowboy is the lone gunman. He is on his own, with but the deadly tools of his trade and a will of iron.

Wizards are smart, Cowboys are willful western ronin.
>>
>>44052148
>Why aren't young wizards like Cowboys in your setting?

You mean they're horse-riding farmhands that guide cattle herds from the ranch to Eastern markets?
>>
File: Race822.jpg (24 KB, 700x528) Image search: [Google]
Race822.jpg
24 KB, 700x528
>>44052148
Because that's what the Paladins are
>>
>>44052424
Don't forget vigilante enforcers of cattle-society regulations to act as the enforcing institute mandatory for the Ostrum Free Market.

That was until Sheep and Barbed Wire ruined everything.
>>
Because wizards by in large are educated practitioners of hermetic magic and cowboys are uneducated lower class laborers?
>>
>>44052148
I suppose a rogue wizard in my setting could plausibly resemble a gunslinging western outlaw with spells instead of bullets, but the average ritualist is more concerned with spiritual or political issues than anything practical like herding cattle.
>>
Because cowboys are cool and wizards are nerdfags
>>
Question. There are gunslingers. There are wizards. There are swordsmen.
There are also swordmages and duellists with gun and blade.
Is there a class for magical guns? Spellshooters?
>>
>>44052536
I suppose you could take whatever passes for an arcane archer in your system of choice and hand them a pair of pistols.
>>
>>44052380
So Cowboys are Sorcerers?
>>
>>44052380
But most low level wizards are running around dungeons trying to find powerful magic. They're young, in their twenties for humans. They mostly live by their wits, with spells to supplement them. Sometimes there's a showdown and he gears up offensive spells
>>
>>44052623

>twentie something wizards

That's fucking bullshit, unless your wizard is like 40 years old don't even expect to be able to cast a cantrip
>>
File: 58585.jpg (137 KB, 817x883) Image search: [Google]
58585.jpg
137 KB, 817x883
>>44052571
Iron Kingdom has gunmages.
I played one in the D&D 3.5 version but the setting has it's own system now.
I was the bastard son of a gunsmith, and the other PCs were his other sons. We all played gun focused characters.
The best part of the gun mage is crafting magic bullets and shooting spells out of your gun.
The act of casting magic out of a gun is very stressful on the weapon unless it's a magelock firearm.
>>
>>44052536
Grammatons

Or Starwinds
>>
>>44052380
I fucking love that artwork
>>
File: wandslinger.jpg (148 KB, 716x1110) Image search: [Google]
wandslinger.jpg
148 KB, 716x1110
>>44052148
They are literally cowboys in mine. Many of them are illiterate and found a wand or charm and hope to hell when they draw out the spell(which is easy to do) they don't blow their own goddamn hands off.
>>
File: caballero.jpg (936 KB, 1452x2544) Image search: [Google]
caballero.jpg
936 KB, 1452x2544
>>44052380
I also agree with this. The class I had played with in my homebrew are called caballeros. They're gunslingers who find enchanted armor from before the Great War. It makes you more or less bullet proof, and hold's its own against magic.

The catch is these ancient suits of armor are spellbound to remove from the wearer only when the wearer completes the original quest. Good luck on finding the original quest.
>>
>>44053024
Wow thats... actually really cool. Tell me more.
>>
To become a mage one has to typically acquire a mentor.

Outside of old disgruntled cunts who fucked off on their own this usually means joining a great mage house, who aren't super keen on the gunho, frontiersman attitude one would expect from a cowboy, and for good reason.
>>
>>44052585
Imagine a fantasy desert setting and the equivalent to cowboys are just wandering sorcerers, having magic duels in town at high noon, being the leaders of posses to track down outlaws, or being the outlaws themselves.
>>
File: brujah curse girl.jpg (474 KB, 1014x1579) Image search: [Google]
brujah curse girl.jpg
474 KB, 1014x1579
>>44053084
I've been working on a homebrew setting for a while. I've divided them into 3 playable era's so far;

>Era of Strife
Everyone VS the Undead. Napoleonic era, so imagine coalitions of fantasy !France and !Europe made up of humans, elves, and dwarves forming firing lines against waves of an ancient !Egypt undead empire. Bullet points;
- Elves almost wiped out.
- Napoleaonic Wars vs undead across an entire continent.
- Literacy drops down to below 10% after casualties. Practiced magic becomes an esoteric art.

>Era of Slingers
Aftermath of the Undead wars. Mainly focusing on adventure and cowboys. Magic is on the rise again since the literacy rate is slowly rising, so magic is being less of esoteric art again, though being recklessly used.
- Cowboys and goldrush, but instead of gold it's magical artifacts.
- Focus on wandering and adventure and rediscovery or practiced magic.
- Delicious brujah witches.

> The Gilded Era
We fucking pulp now. Think 1920's to 30's, parties, hard boiled detectives, temples, and spies and stuff. The global warming problem is the Kraken War(I can go into this later).
- Thaumaturgy revolution.
- Adventure! Drama! Think man's magazine covers and pulps, just with dragons and owlbears and shit.
- Glorious magical corporation tyrants develop new and dangerous things everyday

Also I realized now you just wanted to know more about Caballeros, so I'm gonna apologize for just spurting all that right now. Have a pic a curse girl, uh, is there anything specific you wanna know about them?
>>
>>44053320
Different Anon, but how's their weaponry fare? Mundane or arcane?
>>
>>44053320
>witch saloon gal
>dem stockings
>dem thighs
>dem hips
Unf!
>>
>>44053355
A majority of weaponry is mundane up until the Gilded Era. That's when you get cray shit like Ladie's Concealables, where a the necklace, jewelry, and other seemingly mundane items fly off a lady and assemble into a gun into her hand. Ancient arcane weaponry is still really rare and powerful. During the Era of Slingers a simple wand that shoots out fire bolts is enough to build a posse around.
>>
>>44053024
>>44053320
You draw this yourself?
>>
Because wizards are gay nerds.
>>
>>44053414
Does magic and mundane fuse in the Gilded era to get people shit like energy swords and rayguns?
>>
File: ace reporter.jpg (370 KB, 861x1571) Image search: [Google]
ace reporter.jpg
370 KB, 861x1571
>>44053718
Yup. I do art and some game design.

>>44053748
A little actually. The big deal in the Gilded Era is miniaturizing magic. Making a huge Fireball is like cool, but compressing it into a ring so anyone can shoot ice spikes from their hands is boss. There's kind od a Geneva Convention too that says you can't make DMDs. Or Destructive Magical Devices.

We're talking about weird nukes. Like a box that just shits out angry plant people eternally that you leave in a rented room and it becomes a problem for the entire city because a bunch of angry hungry plant men are eating people. Or like a suitcase that has 600 primed grenades that have already exploded and you just leave it in a city square.

The fourth era setting is called Skyseige. Were it's all 60's space race with magic. Imagine xcom DnD the tabletop essentially. So like it's all rayguns and bomber jackets and space queens from there
>>
>>44054030
Fuck, your setting sounds pretty boss, dude.
>>
>>44054030
If you ever 'finish' it or get out of beta -or if you already have- I'd kill for a setting brief of some kind. Or an archived folder of notes or whatever.

Have a feeling I'd shove it in my DM's face until he got the hint to try running it.
>>
File: sword slinger.jpg (416 KB, 1071x1360) Image search: [Google]
sword slinger.jpg
416 KB, 1071x1360
>>44054143
>>44054201
I actually like to write stuff that's in the setting just as a fluff/flavor thing. If you guys wanna learn more totally go check out the spoiler.

https://gumroad.com/markerslinger

One is a corporate manual for one the magical corporations, the other is a fictional legend in reference to map that doesn't exist in a made up city(that one was a project for a 10 day challenge that I completely misunderstood).

Also here's a pic of a swordslinger.
>>
>>44054201
The setting is very cool, but what system would you use with it?
>>
>>44054303
You should totally make a comic or something.
>>
>>44054343
I'm trying to build a system that goes with it. I had one for a game a game I'm going to release in 2016 (hopefully), but it clashes with the setting. Since the system I used before is kinda super-lethal, and I want heroes in this setting to feel like, well, heroes.

I'm considering other systems, but I've also considered cutting out a system all together and just making it a system agnostic setting - which I have no idea on how that would go.
>>
>>44054414
I honestly suggest looking into the Warhammer 40k RPG system by Fantasy Flight for inspiration.

They use a D% system, which is based all around two d10s, you only need one die to play it really, if you don't mind going slowly and rolling that single die an ludicrous amount of times. I like that.

It features a system friendly to both melee and ranged, and you can even add vehicles really easily.

Rogue Trader details combat between starships too.
>>
File: magic-girls-rough.gif (241 KB, 1627x1268) Image search: [Google]
magic-girls-rough.gif
241 KB, 1627x1268
>>44054408
Thanks, I've actually started story boarding a comic set in the Era of Slingers. God knows when I'll get around to actually working on it though.

In my head, I wanted the rule book for the Gilded Age to look like a passport application process. So you learned all the mechanics through infographics that were ads for companies in the setting. That actually started a comic staring some characters in it too.

I'm really sorry I'm rambling, but I don't get to tell a lot of strangers about my rpg projects, and i'm kinda thrilled to see people would actually find it interesting - so sorry again
>>
>>44054466
I've played a couple of games in that setting. They are super fun - I'll definitely look into d% systems more. Thanks anon :)
>>
>>44054467
Writing your rulebook as being full of lore and the entire thing being in universe perspective can be cool.

Done well you get the Warhammer 40k Codices and Fantasy Flight RPGs.

Done poorly you get stuff like ShadowRun with it's 10 page table of contents, a glossary required for people to understand the made up slang the thing is peppered with and so many side stories scattered about you struggle to find the actual crunch of the book.
>>
>>44054030
Is she an elf?

It would be neat to have elves be the shorter, christmas/keebler type elves deal instead of the generic Tolkien "tall beautiful perfect beings" shit.

Also it would be much easier to almost wipe out a race of short guys living in trees.
>>
File: how to fight copy.jpg (1 MB, 1500x2100) Image search: [Google]
how to fight copy.jpg
1 MB, 1500x2100
>>44054489
Yeah, that's the big thing. Like I like a lot of game mythology, but in some cases the metal plot and setting can kinda get away into bullshit.

In these settings I'm trying to make it to;

>Here's the setting and metaplot people should know.

And that should be a page, or 2 at max. I've played a lot of setting heavy metaplot games, and it's kinda a bummer when you do something that totally goes against your clan or whatever.

Also I hope I'm using the "metaplot" correctly. If not I'm talking about games where you have to do homework to understand what's going on. That can be fun for some people, but I guess I've just had some not to stellar experiences with it.

Here was an example of the summary of how to do a combat roll.
>>
>>44054593
You should make your lore sections look like newspaper clippings or journal entries, have the explanation of crunch aspect done in a scientific paper type thing, your weapons and items section could just be a straight up catalog from a supplying company, and the bestiary could be done up as a nature magazine.

I think that would be a fun book to buy even if you had no intention of playing the game, it could be lore heavy, entertaining, and nice to look at, while still working well as a game book, containing all the necessary information in easy to find sections and not being a chore to read through like ShadowRun's book is.
>>
File: botles and booze.jpg (383 KB, 997x1629) Image search: [Google]
botles and booze.jpg
383 KB, 997x1629
>>44054542
Half elf actually. Pure elves are super rare as of the Age of Strife. Most of their cities were wiped off the map during the first years, and when they flew to the coasts they were then met with the Krakens. Half elves are now the most common, with true elves being like meeting a living Atlantean.

I do really like the idea of short keebler elves tho. Ah shit.

Major thing I forgot about the Gilded Era to mention. I wanted a prohibition thing also, since that defined the era's organized crime. So instead of alcohol being illegal, it's magical confectioneries.

Cakes, candy, pies, pastries. If you put magic in that, it is undetectable for some reason. So instead of speakeasies you got shady ass dive candy bars and soda fountains where scantly clad flapper girls are passing out self lighting cigarettes and lemon drops that let you shoot lightning from your hands(and also get you kinda high).

I'm way too proud of one candy called Red Herring. They look like swedish fish, but are made from distilled health potions. This is bad because they are like opiates at that point, but still have healing qualities. So taking down a guy who's like downing a bad of that shit is like trying to take out a troll.

Brewing magic in alcohol is also super common, but that's legal since that's been going on for like centuries and it's more of a tradition thing.
>>
File: slime anatomy.jpg (146 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
slime anatomy.jpg
146 KB, 500x667
>>44054663
That sounds pretty rad actually. I had started making scientific posters to sell at cons of weird monsters I came up with and putting them together in a pseudoscientific monster journal would be pretty sick as a bestiary.
I also like the idea of making the book kinda like a scrap book with the trimmings and such.Thanks anon!
>>
File: Plasmids.jpg (33 KB, 540x337) Image search: [Google]
Plasmids.jpg
33 KB, 540x337
>>44054700
Waiiit wait wait. So.. There are plasmid sweets and pastries?

I think I love you.
>>
>>44054700
but isn't shooting lightning from your hands is totally legal, if you got it from a shot of whiskey instead?
or is there some kind of magic that is completely outlawed, and works best with confectionery (healing and life lenghtening magic, maybe)?
>>
>>44053320
>>44054030
Heh kinda sounds like my setting. Fucking undead though they be a bitch when you don't nerf them. Though my own has more monsters and outsider related havoc. Not including infighting obviously.

I myself am still working out the kinks of magic guns. Too much you can fucking do with them even with the older models before things got 'standardized'. The explosives and chemicals was so much simpler in comparison...
>>
>>44054414
then it's wushu until we rework 5e enough to fit (it needs a rework anyway).
thank you, this will be fun.
>>
File: revovlers.png (980 KB, 1552x582) Image search: [Google]
revovlers.png
980 KB, 1552x582
>>44054700
>Keebler elves hiding in shady drug dens inside the core of ancient hollow trees cooking magical pastries all day

Make it happen.

One thing I noticed though, when drawing your revolvers, like in this pic and >>44054030, the part under the barrel can be a few things, either the central pole the cylinder spins on, if you have a revolver with a swing out cylinder (a), and it should always be in the middle of the cylinder.

Otherwise your gun would be one that has a loading gate (b), which means the cylinder does not swing out, it stays in the gun, you open that gate, then the thing under the barrel is a plunger, you push it in and the metal rod attached to it knocks the empty shell out of the case so you can load a new one in. These guns are loaded one round at a time, making them slow even in trained hands. The tube under the barrel in these cases needs to long enough to, when fully pushed, actually put a metal rod through the chamber of the cylinder. and should be in line with chamber in the 3 o' clock position.

Otherwise it is a black powder cap and ball revolver and the thing under the barrel is either a lever connected to a ramrod that helps you load the powder and bullets into the gun (c) or a lever that when pulled lets you remove the cylinder from the gun entirely and be able to load it that way (d), or replace the cylinder with an already reloaded cylinder you had prepared in advance, this was the fastest method of reloading a revolver before ones that were break open (e) were invented, and later ones with swing out cylinders, and you could access every chamber at once, allowing speed-loaders to work well.

You should totally have break open revolvers because they are awesome.

Sorry about the autism, I'm a gunfag and in college to become an engineer.
>>
>>44054769
It's one of the things that make sense in my head, but it's kinda hard to explain.

So yes, it's perfectly legal to have magic, but it's illegal in confectioneries and such because it's undetectable. In game the event that led up to that decision was the annihilation of a royal party when the cake was cut into and it blew up the entire ballroom. I kinda leave some parts of the setting to be fleshed out by the DMs and such running the game (an idea I though was great when I saw it in eclipse Phase). So it could be that n your game. It could be a blatant hypocrisy from the ruling government, maybe lobbyists from big brewing are filling a lot of pockets, so they can operate legally.

Personally, I decided magical alcohol doesn't give you spells, but enhances your magical potential. Like it gets you drunk, and you you can gather mana easier, or dampens your perception into the material realm and allows you easier access to arcane or eldritch powers. Confectioneries are more active in what they do, and drinks are more passive. It could be picking the lesser evil kinda thing.
>>
File: art and amore.jpg (1 MB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
art and amore.jpg
1 MB, 900x1350
>>44054841
Anon, you have just cracked open a trouble egg that has plagued me for as long as I started drawing revolvers. Thank you so much. This explanation is really gonna help me out down the line.

You can't draw a a cool fantasy cowboy comic if you can't draw:
A) revolvers
B) horses.

Now to work on horses...

As thanks please have this pic of Art and Amore. They were arms dealers I did for the comic I mentioned earlier, and an example in the early rulebook draft of how to make npc contacts
>>
>>44054935
God i wish i could do art for my own stuff...i cannot into art though. I tried but its just not for me. At least I can write and into worldbuilding...well mostly the last part. I have some issues with the first one I am still trying to work out.
>>
>>44054894
So, alcohol is potions and confectionary is scrolls?

Possible solution is that alcohol masks magic but doesn't hide it entirely.
Put through a scanner, you can tell that wine has some kind of basic fire magic, and that gin is enchanted in some way. But the cake may or may not be magic at all and it could be anything from daemon summoning to pretty lights.

>>44054935
Keep snubnoses like the reporters swingouts! They look cool.

Maybe rare magic guns use loading gates to eject spent mana before a new bullet is loaded or something if you need a nerf on them.
>>
File: Moon Clips With Rounds.jpg (83 KB, 549x351) Image search: [Google]
Moon Clips With Rounds.jpg
83 KB, 549x351
>>44054841

You can use speed-loaders with Type A, and things called Moon Clips with A and E. Pic related.
>>
>>44052148
Because wizards don't have guns.
>>
File: hswsg.jpg (22 KB, 368x215) Image search: [Google]
hswsg.jpg
22 KB, 368x215
>>44054935
Mostly all of the guns in this pic are very well done, you clearly copied real world designs, which is perfectly fine, gunfags love seeing recognizable things.

If you need any more help with drawing guns I'd be glad to, even though it's nearly 4am over here. So maybe tomorrow, I should really head off.. eventually.

Another thing you should note is that >>44053024 pump action guns, the tube underneath the barrel is what holds all the extra rounds. If the gunslinger here is holding a shotgun, that tube under the barrel needs to be thick enough to hold shotgun shells inside it.

Also for a western setting you need some good lever action guns too. If you want something odd, look up the Volcanic Pistol.

And if you want some interesting looking guns to make the Gilded Age things more interesting or anything try some more obscure guns like the Borchardt C-93, one of the first ever successful auto-loaders, the Mauser C96 (featured in Disney's Atlantis) and the Schwarzlose Model 1898, all three of these are pre 20th century German semi-auto handguns that have pretty different designs compared to what we have today.

>>44054964
The designs of the snubnoses are perfectly fine other than the misplaced "under barrel tube" part. I really like the design of the reporter's gun, just keep in mind you push the empty shells out of the cylinder by pushing on that pole in the middle, so you need at least a tiny bit of travel room to eject.
>>
>>44055038
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPu7_ZZ3-PM

Probably one of the best gun channels on youtube
>>
>>44052148
Thats what fighters are.
Wizards are more army generalls.
>>
>>44054894
that makes more sense, alchool works for the 'upper class' people, boosting their existing powers, and candies would be the great equalizer for the disenfranchised, giving magic to the magic-nots.
it goes without saying then, those are absolutely illegal.
>>
>>44052536
Unfortunately the only one I can think of is the Spellslinger in Pathfinder.
>>
>>44053303
Do any mostly desert fantasy settings exist? It seems like most things really only encompass the typical European climate, even though deserts are neat.
>>
>>44052148
Because there's no such thing as young wizards
>>
>>44052148
There are no young wizards. There's young apprentices but once you learn a significant amount of magic you jump from your 20's to triple/quadruple digit age with a beard worthy of a lumberjack
>>
>>44056600
Dark Sun.
>>
>>44056600
Al Qadim and Darksun

Both are vastly superior to cowboy shit
>>
>>44056640
>Al Qa'dim
>Forgotten Realms
>Superior to the Weird West
>>
>>44056675
>being this triggered
Yes, Al Qadim is in fact vastly superior to the Weird West. Objectively so. By any measurement possible.
>>
>>44056738
Sure, Ed. Sure.
>>
I want the settingfag to come back. That shit was interesting.
>>
>>44058195
This, I just got here and missed the whole thing
What are the races like in your setting?
>>
>>44059781
From the art, they are bottom-heavy.
And those are the best races.
>>
I skimmed the thread, but it looks like every single poster missed OP's point.
>>
>>44059878
What would you say the OP's point was?
>>
>>44059878

Fortunately.
>>
>>44059878
Yes, and?
>>
>>44052148
because they're goddamn nerds

Sorcerers are totally cowboys though.
>>
>>44053024
That must make taking a wizz a nightmare
>>
>>44059878
>cowboys
>having a point
The cowboy as a hero is a manufactured thing that almost entirely comes from Hollywood and a few turn of the century serials. It was molded, created and molded because as it turns out it's easier to shoot a western in California than it is to shoot a movie about eastern literary heroes.

It's a paragon of virility that had next to nothing to do with actual american culture, which was mostly focused on the lakes and the oceans.
>>
>>44054467
You should, you know, throw a blog at us.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.