[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A good twist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: 1423141701423.png (720 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1423141701423.png
720 KB, 1280x720
Hello /tg/. I need your advice for a minor quest that I want to do.
It's going to involve a warrior and a monster that keeps coming back.
The party is going to meet this guy and he's going to tell them that for a while now he's been haunted by a monster. No matter how many times he killed it and no matter how he desposed of the body it would always come back again and again. It reanimates, transforms and hunts him down whereever he goes. The warrior is very powerful and dispatched the wicked fiend with ease every time, but believes that with time it might gain the upper hand. He will ask the party to rid him of this curse.
Now the question is how do I make this quest actually interesting? My first thoughts were to make it so that all of this is caused by a grudge. Maybe the monster was a man once and he was somehow terribly wronged. And just like in Asura's Wrath his anger is so endless that he just keeps climbing back from hell ignoring every obstacle in his way.
How do I make this better and more interesting to the party? Also how do I do subtle exposition?
>>
>>44045782
Maybe they assist the warrior in killing it once, he mutters something about it always coming back, and the party takes an interest in it.

If they don't, the Monster adds them to its grudge list and attacks the, as well.

The interesting part should be in how the thing keeps coming back.

The twist would be how they're supposed to get rid of it permanently.

What kind of monster is it?
>>
File: male overslept.jpg (136 KB, 861x1024) Image search: [Google]
male overslept.jpg
136 KB, 861x1024
Were you in any way inspired by this video, OP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
>>
>>44045782
The party kills it, the monster comes back, but it's now coming after whichever party member got the killing blow rather than the guy.
>>
File: Alpharius_Pythian_Scales.jpg (792 KB, 873x876) Image search: [Google]
Alpharius_Pythian_Scales.jpg
792 KB, 873x876
The monster is actually Alpharius
>>
>>44045896
At this point it's just a force of will that's brought to life through some sort of pact with reality that the man made just before he died, so he would have another chance to tear the fucker down.

>>44045905
That's awesome, but this is the first time I've seen that video.

>>44045996
I was thinking of making the monster focus solely on the warrior and only attack the party if they're directly in the way. Is that bad?
>>
>>44046118
>Is that bad?
Not at all, was just throwing an idea out there.
>>
>>44045782
You are looking for this:
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.hu/2014/03/the-inexorable-beast.html
>>
File: 1429738159850.jpg (106 KB, 629x701) Image search: [Google]
1429738159850.jpg
106 KB, 629x701
>>44046442

That's actually very useful. Thanks mate!
>>
File: Meruem.png (685 KB, 839x921) Image search: [Google]
Meruem.png
685 KB, 839x921
How about the idea that the monster "evolves" every time it dies depending on how it got killed? Like how one of the comments suggested here >>44046442

What would the "mutations" be though? If it got decapitated, it would probably grow some thicker skin or even armor around its neck next time.
>>
>>44045782
The monster is a manifestation of the killers strength of will./strength

Whatever creature kills it is haunted by it. It starts invisible to all but its target, but as it is killed, the killers belief that it exists makes it stronger and stronger. Each time growing in power slowly, until it Creates despair of the inevitable death of the killer.

My idea:
>party saves the warrior. Kills monster, warrior thanks party, feeling freed from the bonds. He rewards them, then leaves never to be seen again.
>that night, the one who landed the killing blow is attacked by a very weak monster, only he is awoken and when his allies awake. It is already gone.
>investigate the monster haunting yhe warrior, never knowing its still haunting.
>eventually grows to be visible, party kills it
>because the party is close. Each ally who gets haunted stops reseting the monster, eventually grows more powerful than each individual.
>>
>>44046664

This is brilliant! Much better than the thing that I had in mind. Thanks!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.